Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Put all the stickers on it you want, someone will still put it on a carpeted floor and throw their laundry on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
also that rectangle better have a user accessible dust filter because contrary to their testing, most people don't live in clean rooms with the console always on to keep the dust out

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

American McGay posted:

If the PS4 Pro is any indication the current state of thermals in high performance consoles is already too ambitious. Consoles could stand to be a little airier. Although I'm not going to argue that the Series X isn't a cartoonish swing in the opposite direction I also don't care enough to complain about it.

Reminder that Microsoft spent a billion dollars dealing with and fixing thermal failures with the 360. They're probably just being overly cautious.

i mean the ironic thing is that despite the launch xbox being bigger than the ps4, less powerful and somehow hotter, out of the one x and the ps4 pro the one x clearly comes out on top in terms of managing to fit more into less. and to follow t hat up we get thge monlith from 2001

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

If the PS4 Pro is any indication the current state of thermals in high performance consoles is already too ambitious. Consoles could stand to be a little airier. Although I'm not going to argue that the Series X isn't a cartoonish swing in the opposite direction I also don't care enough to complain about it.

Reminder that Microsoft spent a billion dollars dealing with and fixing thermal failures with the 360. They're probably just being overly cautious.

They were already overly cautious with the original XBone. The heat sink was gigantic and the console itself was mostly empty space.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Stux posted:

i mean uk houses are actually smaller on average than in japan. not really got anything on hong kong though.

I live in Japan and I'm going to be the only person here to buy an Xbox Series X. It will double as a bed because it won't fit in my tiny condo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Ps4 pro is literally, literally two ps4 boards put together, Combine that extra heat with a cooling system design that was loud already as it forces air at high speed through tiny vents and its gonna be hyper loud
1x has more power draw through a bigger gpu in a much smaller case with way less sound thanks to its simpler design and slower moving air

A ps5 could be both smaller and quieter. The 1x proves it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yeah my pro has been a headache wrt heat, I would not complain if it were a little bigger and cooler/quieter. But its excuse is that it's still fundamentally a console designed in 2012. It shouldn't be a huge challenge to make a console in 2020 that's significantly more powerful without being significantly bigger or warmer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mahoning posted:

They were already overly cautious with the original XBone. The heat sink was gigantic and the console itself was mostly empty space.

Dont forget external psu too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

microsoft managed to make a camera that ran at 45C while idle that had a fan in it

"Idle"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Idly scanning penis bloodflow for excitement data to sell back to publishers and checking all your lamps to make absolutely sure they arent black people it has to log in.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just let Apple design it they're really good at making small hardware that's quiet and efficient. The new Xbox actually kinda looks like they've taken some cues from them anyways judging by the vents.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SUNKOS posted:

Just let Apple design it they're really good at making small hardware that's quiet and efficient. The new Xbox actually kinda looks like they've taken some cues from them anyways judging by the vents.

its the old trash can mac pro but a square

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

SUNKOS posted:

the best thing about apple hardware is them putting in hugely fast cpus that they then thermal throttle to near uselessness because they have no idea how technology actually works

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They know. They also know that their target audience is willing to pay extra for the fast CPU and also not be smart enough to notice that it's getting throttled to 80% in regular usage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Their new pro has a 30,000 dollar upgrade to 1.5 teraflops of ram. Powerful inspiration for microsoft.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the best thing about apple hardware is them putting in hugely fast cpus that they then thermal throttle to near uselessness because they have no idea how technology actually works

citation needed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the only one i remember throttling recently was the xeon imac pro under artificial 100% loads but not in normal use. the current i9 doesnt throttle even at 100% iirc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

I live in Japan and I'm going to be the only person here to buy an Xbox Series X. It will double as a bed because it won't fit in my tiny condo.

I exist too, jerk!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The 2017/18 Macbook Pros would throttle almost immediately under normal usage iirc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
oh idk about the laptops im not going to go to bat for that, t heyre all garbage, i only care/know about the desktops no one buys

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rent a nap tube for your xsx and stream the games to your apartment across the street

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Barudak posted:

I exist too, jerk!

Dang, how many creepy English teachers are there in Japan?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
buying a macbook pro is like buying a gaming laptop but for developers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I dont teach, so sadly I can't answer your question

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There was a bit of a scandal after the last Macbook Pro release, where it throttled the CPU a ridiculous amount, and some guy demonstrated that he could only get the expected benchmark performance if his Macbook Pro was inside a freezer. But that turned out to be a bug and Apple fixed it with a patch.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Their new pro has a 30,000 dollar upgrade to 1.5 teraflops of ram. Powerful inspiration for microsoft.

That owns. The cost etc. is absurd but seeing the specs for that stuff with all the maxed out options and seeing them fit it all into such a small space that runs completely silent is really impressive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
dont buy macbook pros, dont buy mac pros, imacs are good, mac mini is good, thank you

acksplode
May 17, 2004

New Macbook Pros suck, but you will have to take my 2015 Macbook Pro from my cold dead hands >:(

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

acksplode posted:

There was a bit of a scandal after the last Macbook Pro release, where it throttled the CPU a ridiculous amount, and some guy demonstrated that he could only get the expected benchmark performance if his Macbook Pro was inside a freezer. But that turned out to be a bug and Apple fixed it with a patch.

If I remember right the bug was fixed by not throttling until it was hitting near absolute heat levels of like 94C

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Cojawfee posted:

Barudak posted:

I dont teach, so sadly I can't answer your question

Ditto. But I am a full-time Game Pass subscriber.

Nice to know between Barudak and I Microsoft will sell at least two Xbox Series X consoles. Handily beating the Xbone.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Make the next Xbox ten times larger so it can BE the TV stand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fly Ricky posted:

Ditto. But I am a full-time Game Pass subscriber.

Nice to know between Barudak and I Microsoft will sell at least two Xbox Series X consoles. Handily beating the Xbone.

Microsoft pays you to subscribe to game pass if you live in Japan?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft pays you to subscribe to game pass if you live in Japan?

They've got to justify the three employees running Xbox Japan somehow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The XBox Series X is so big (and black) that your wife sends you pictures of herself with it while you’re at work.

It’s so big and black that Roger Stone has its phone number.

American McGay posted:

The 2017/18 Macbook Pros would throttle almost immediately under normal usage iirc.

The 2019 15” fixed those issues and the new 16” fixes literally everything wrong with that generation of MBP. Even LTT had to praise it.

2013-2015 are still 👌🏼👌🏼 notebooks too. Mine turns 7 in February and it’s lived in a backpack the entire time. Thing’s like a Volvo.

Stux posted:

dont buy macbook pros, dont buy mac pros, imacs are good, mac mini is good, thank you

Are you stupid?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

:chloe:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

The trashcan Mac Pro failed to account for the rise of GPUs and they painted themselves into a “thermal corner” so bad that the line sat untouched for 2,182 days. The iMac Pro is apparently so well cooled with well considered fans that it runs close to silent at full load. So if really depends on which Apple we’d get designing it. Also, and I say this as someone who went a decade and a half without touching Windows, Apple does NOT get games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

I dont teach

Neither do most English teachers in Japan.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ah yes it vaguely resembles (the worst Mac ever made)

Surely that means it’s going to cool like (the worst mac ever made)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

SUNKOS posted:

I live in the UK too and what you're saying only applies if you're one of those unfortunate fucks stuck paying through the nose to rent a cupboard in London where a one bedroom flat has been converted into five separate abodes. Also, if you're a UK resident then the size of the new Xbox console should be the least of your concerns lol

The size on xbox series x is good actually because brexit is worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope