Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
everybody is forgetting the established rules of the universe tho, in the canon Disney kept being anything but a chill smug monk puts you on the path to the "dark side" which means any strong feelings and you can quickly slippery slope into a genocidal space nazi. luke was afraid kylo would turn, turned himself then turned back too late to stop kylos fear of him turning to anger etc. the movie does a very bad job of explaining that but it's strongly implied. luke's character is and should be secondary to the way the force has been established to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mandalorian is pretty lovely too.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But but baby yoda! It's a beloved mascot and proof of Star Wars brand success and not a cynical cash in by soulless marketers who seeded memes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Werner Herzog likes it and thats good enough for me

e: Baby yoda I mean. Not the mandalorian

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i know it's the cool goon thing to have a contrarian take about things, but the mandalorian passes the low hurdle of "best thing disney has done with the property" and for my money it's the best star wars has been since '83.

turns out going back to formula of aping spaghetti westerns and kursawa flicks to tell a story about new characters instead of an explanation of throwaway lines about clone wars or side characters that no one really needed... gets you a pretty ok star war.

and sure, baby yoda is precision engineered to sell plush dolls, but his role in the story lands just fine so whatever. send in your early bird redemption certificates for some baby yoda swag kids

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
If disney had any prior faith in baby yoda it would have been plastered on every billboard from here to the Istanbul.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dean of Swing posted:

If disney had any prior faith in baby yoda it would have been plastered on every billboard from here to the Istanbul.

Istanbul is a city dumbass. You're thinking of the Bosphorus. Or maybe the Euphrates.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a time skip in this movie.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I've made a bet with a co-worker that there will be time travel. Money is on the line.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dean of Swing posted:

Didn't Jon Favreau push to keep a cap on "Baby Yoda" so that the reveal was a surprise and made for a more enjoyable viewing experience?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the reactions to TLJ and then this. Disney needs to make a movie that breaks the mold and does something different BUT NOT TOO MUCH!!!!!

I wonder if they're regretting the purchase yet (lol no they've made 4 bil back already easy)

They are truly hosed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Blistex posted:

Didn't Jon Favreau push to keep a cap on "Baby Yoda" so that the reveal was a surprise and made for a more enjoyable viewing experience?

I can't possibly imagine the shark-eyed suits agreeing to this unless he just flew the puppet entirely under the radar.

You show them the dailies with that adorable puppet and their brains will immediately start producing phantom cash register noises at 120 decibels.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Lol at the reactions to TLJ and then this. Disney needs to make a movie that breaks the mold and does something different BUT NOT TOO MUCH!!!!!

I wonder if they're regretting the purchase yet (lol no they've made 4 bil back already easy)

They are truly hosed.

TLJ tried to be interesting and failed, the others tried to be boring and succeeded

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

TLJ tried to be interesting and failed, the others tried to be boring and succeeded

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yo mama jokes and pointless chase scenes are interesting as gently caress. At least they could have done a Scooby Doo gag with chasing through multiple doors/space portals?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Were there really red stormtroopers

Also do they fly now

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

They fly now?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

They fly now!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I deserve this

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The C3PO red arm scene is JJ's own meta commentary on how much he sucks and just repackages the same old poo poo.

I've read no reports that indicate TROS has big alien teats getting milked into a bottle. Therefore it is inferior to TLJ.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i posted the ending of the film in this thread without spoilers cuz I thought it couldn't be true, that even jj wouldn't dare pinch off something so shockingly lazy and anticlimactic. should have searched my feelings I guess

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

They should have left in the version where Kylo falls down a hole and never returns. Bring back the hole you cowards

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just watched caught the 10 am show in Australia.

I hate to loving say it, but it's a bad movie. Lots of good ideas for things that would fill out 2 movies, but they cram them all into one and it makes the whole thing trash.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm actually coming around on disliking the naked saber in the tent moment more and more.

Realistically sure people in the real world don't just go through neat development that can be plorted on an arc and aren't even the same people from day to day if they miss breakfast and get a "we need to talk" text from their SO. But from a narrative character perspective the movie needed to show us the backslide from tossing his lightsaber aside to hug his dad.

One of the things that The Mandalorian is kind of showing by filling in stuff TFA wouldn't even bother giving us a throw-away line to explain from a world-building view is that there's a whole lot of story that got glossed over between the OT and ST.

Like, Star Wars started "in the middle" and it works because that's the first we see of these characters. If you're going to start "in the middle" of your sequel with the story told and the characters established, you need to sell us on why they may be different than when we left them.

Like, it's not TONS better but they at least give us a little setup for what happened to Han:

Han ended the OT having turned from a self-interested smuggler in it for the payday to a General volunteering for a dangerous missions to save the galaxy. In the ST we see he's back to grifting and smuggling and estranged from the love of his life, his wife Leila. But they at least address it, however satisfying or unsatisfying you find the explanation: losing his son to Snoke punched a hole in his life and in his distress he returned to the capers his misspent youth.

There's kind of a "scene missing" card between "I won't fight you, father" and tossing away his saber in the face of two evil wizards responsible for gigadeaths and willing to kill him because of his faith in "the good in you," and contemplating cold blooded murder over not even actions but bad dreams.

I don't exactly hate the story they told, but it needed either connective tissue to tell us what changed Luke, or to ditch the Rashamon thing where even in his own telling he did the way wrong thing and set it up so Kylo's turn was something more than bad thoughts before Luke felt forced to ignite his laser sword.
What the hell are you talking about. If you find out the person in front of you is the next Hitler and you can stop WWIII with an effortless swing of a laser sword that you happen to have on your person, it is and should be everyone's first instinct to do so because it's just the sensible loving thing to do.

It's because Luke's character and 'better nature' is consistent in the film that he decides not to do so before he can go through with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raged posted:

things that would fill out 2 movies, but they cram them all into one

*In a Rian Johnson voice*

All that has transpired has done so according to my design.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

tbh i'm not sure how Luke killing Kylo would have fixed that much anyway. I guess his academy wouldn't have gotten killed off, but Snoke would still nuke the Republic killing billions. Kylo didn't really have anything to do with that.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

drunkill posted:

Just got out.

Way to cram so much into the third movie when you waste the second one. THe pacing is all off and they introduce too many new characters who just have zero time to be fleshed out.

A few bits were good, overall pretty eh. Could have used a re-write.

rewrites are why the film has such problems in the first place lmfao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

skasion posted:

tbh i'm not sure how Luke killing Kylo would have fixed that much anyway. I guess his academy wouldn't have gotten killed off, but Snoke would still nuke the Republic killing billions. Kylo didn't really have anything to do with that.

well actually

quote:

In Story Group Official Canon news, it turns out that Ben didn’t attack anyone or destroy the temple after Luke attacked him. The building blew up for unknown reasons, killing many of the students in the fire, and a few surviving Padawans came across Ben alone in the flames. He told them what Luke had done, but they didn’t believe him and attacked, so he fled

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
"The building blew up for unknown reasons"

lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

What the hell are you talking about. If you find out the person in front of you is the next Hitler and you can stop WWIII with an effortless swing of a laser sword that you happen to have on your person, it is and should be everyone's first instinct to do so because it's just the sensible loving thing to do.

It's because Luke's character and 'better nature' is consistent in the film that he decides not to do so before he can go through with it.

That would be a compelling utilitarian argument, to a character shown to be utilitarian and pragmatic. Luke is a character who has already culminated his heroic journey with a conscious decision not to swing his laser sword at two current, actual Hitlers and instead resolved the conflict with a radical, risky act of completely unearned paternal trust.

Like I said, it might have still worked, but we needed more than Luke's say so the kid had real spooky dreams for that.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 19, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Owlbear Camus posted:

That would be a compelling utilitarian argument, to a character shown to be utilitarian and pragmatic. Luke is a character who has already culminated his heroic journey with a conscious decision not to swing his laser sword at two current, actual Hitlers and resolve the conflict with a radical, risky act of completely unearned paternal trust.

Man these Hitlers are just coming out of the woodwork!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's kind of a "scene missing" card between "I won't fight you, father" and tossing away his saber in the face of two evil wizards responsible for gigadeaths and willing to kill him because of his faith in "the good in you," and contemplating cold blooded murder over not even actions but bad dreams.

The "scene missing" is the part where he's about to slice slice his father's head off for talking poo poo about his sister before he cools his head and decides not to. It establishes that Luke can be violent when emotional.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The "scene missing" is the part where he's about to slice slice his father's head off for talking poo poo about his sister before he cools his head and decides not to. It establishes that Luke can be violent when emotional.

him getting violent because king evil monster cape guy just said he's going to turn his sister into an evil monster lady is understandable.

getting violent because a sleeping pupil had 2spooky dreams is... not

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Luke isn't real so going "ah well sometimes people get cranky as they age or they backslide into bad tendencies or or or" isn't the powerful argument driveby TLJ likers seem to think it is

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It was good. I’m not going to pretend it’s the best movie in the world but it was a good Star Wars movie. Critics are being proper harsh on it

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sorry Chris you can't post here anymore, this is the own zone

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Moola posted:

"The building blew up for unknown reasons"

lol

Chill guys - probably a gas main

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chrs posted:

It was good. I’m not going to pretend it’s the best movie in the world but it was a good Star Wars movie. Critics are being proper harsh on it

make your own thread idiot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Luke isn't real so going "ah well sometimes people get cranky as they age or they backslide into bad tendencies or or or" isn't the powerful argument driveby TLJ likers seem to think it is

Driveby TLJ Liker

New username?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Driveby TLJ Liker

New username?

Personally I'd go with a rian johnson plot twist