Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Looks like you can get a tax credit for home charger cost, retroactively:
and motorcycles!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Awesome, my Energica Ego just got 10% cheaper
:same: :brap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Got this email from Uncle Elon this morning

quote:

The Acceleration Boost is now available for Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive owners.
Boost your acceleration from Standard to Sport and improve your 0-60 mph time from 4.4 seconds to 3.9 seconds

It costs $2000. Not a terrible deal, keeps the performance owners happy but opens up some of the performance that was clearly being nerfed on the regular AWD cars. I'm going to wait for a dyno comparison, they should be well over 400WHP now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can't wait for the EA DLC model for cars

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Supposedly P3D times are with rollout and all the other 3 times are not. I'd probably still buy it, but someone on Reddit pointed out it's about a 0.3-0.4s second difference against the performance model 3. People have been asking for an uncorked LR AWD for awhile so that's a nice option.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Looks like you can get a tax credit for home charger cost, retroactively:
So what this means is I can get a credit for the charger box and for the installation up to $1000? Does it matter if the installation was a lot more expensive because the electricians put in a new breaker panel?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CannonFodder posted:

So what this means is I can get a credit for the charger box and for the installation up to $1000? Does it matter if the installation was a lot more expensive because the electricians put in a new breaker panel?
Didnt it say it covers 30% of the cost up to 1000? So just a partial.
Don't think it matters that the box was upgraded, it's all rolled into the cost of getting it set up.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Tesla just entered into a partnership with EVGo to put Tesla plugs on all their chargers, starting in San Francisco. Interesting decision. I don't expect a CCS adapter any time soon in NA in that case. Looks like Tesla might be flexing their early lead in the US to get their plugs on other stations. I wonder if this is the first of several.

EVgo had good urban penetration where Tesla needs to invest a lot to get started. EVgo needs more cars at their chargers to turn a profit. Seems like a win-win.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/19/evgo-tesla-connector-nationwide-charging-network/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That’s good news. Tesla using different connectors between markets (particularly the non-standard connector in the US) has always been a bit mystifying to me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How much power does it take to keep an EV cabin heated on a cold day? I know that's vague, a vague answer is fine, I'd just like to get a rough idea.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Westy543 posted:

Tesla just entered into a partnership with EVGo to put Tesla plugs on all their chargers, starting in San Francisco. Interesting decision. I don't expect a CCS adapter any time soon in NA in that case. Looks like Tesla might be flexing their early lead in the US to get their plugs on other stations. I wonder if this is the first of several.

EVgo had good urban penetration where Tesla needs to invest a lot to get started. EVgo needs more cars at their chargers to turn a profit. Seems like a win-win.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/19/evgo-tesla-connector-nationwide-charging-network/

I really would prefer the other way around. Putting CCS chargers on the Teslas is way better for the users since it opens up all the chargers to the users, regardless of whether they've made a special deal with Tesla, and makes use of the open CCS standard instead of Tesla's proprietary version.

We really need legislation in the US like the EU had to force Tesla to conform.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol wut, they already have a CCS adapter for the EU market, why not adapt it for the US teslas? This is dumb.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wibla posted:

lol wut, they already have a CCS adapter for the EU market, why not adapt it for the US teslas? This is dumb.

They want to use their industry lead in the US to force others to adopt their charging standard, and in doing so, get licensing fees from them and, as their current agreement states, that other companies aren't allowed to attempt to reverse engineer their equipment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

That’s good news. Tesla using different connectors between markets (particularly the non-standard connector in the US) has always been a bit mystifying to me.

I’m not sure that you read that post correctly. They’re putting Tesla connectors on the chargers, not standard connectors on the cars.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

taqueso posted:

How much power does it take to keep an EV cabin heated on a cold day? I know that's vague, a vague answer is fine, I'd just like to get a rough idea.

On my Bolt I typically see up to 6 kW being used by the climate controls when I'm heating. It's pretty substantial really.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It depends on a lot of factors. How cold is it? How warm do you want it? Do you want the power necessary to bring the car up to temperature, or to sustain that temperature?

TeslaBjørn has tested a few cars in "camper mode" where he sleeps in them for a night while the climate control is running. Model 3 is about 2kW at about 0 degrees C outside, which is fairly inefficient. It probably has poor heat insulation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

I’m not sure that you read that post correctly. They’re putting Tesla connectors on the chargers, not standard connectors on the cars.

Ya I did, I’m just not good at words. :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

pun pundit posted:

TeslaBjørn has tested a few cars in "camper mode" where he sleeps in them for a night while the climate control is running. Model 3 is about 2kW at about 0 degrees C outside, which is fairly inefficient. It probably has poor heat insulation.

I wonder how much power you'd need to run an electric heater pad under a sleeping bag.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

taqueso posted:

This is dependant on the EV. Some have a heat pump that works great, some have to artificially create it which is inefficient, and some of them have heated seats/steering wheel that many opt to use instead of heating the entire cabin.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really would prefer the other way around. Putting CCS chargers on the Teslas is way better for the users since it opens up all the chargers to the users, regardless of whether they've made a special deal with Tesla, and makes use of the open CCS standard instead of Tesla's proprietary version.

We really need legislation in the US like the EU had to force Tesla to conform.

I'm not taking a stance for or against, but I imagine it may have something to do with rolling up and just plugging it straight in without futzing around with five different EV charging vendors (it just gets billed to your VIN). This is definitely a perk with the Tesla, and I prefer the Tesla charging experience to my other EV's. Remember they designed this to compete with the simplicity of a gas station.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
By comparison my heated motorcycle jacket pulls 90W at most, so running heat on my Zero is negligible (it can run full blast for a solid 5 days). This is pretty much the only way in which my electric motorcycle is more practical than an electric car.

I imagine the heating pad solution would be a lot closer to my jacket than to 2kW.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

OldPueblo posted:

I'm not taking a stance for or against, but I imagine it may have something to do with rolling up and just plugging it straight in without futzing around with five different EV charging vendors (it just gets billed to your VIN). This is definitely a perk with the Tesla, and I prefer the Tesla charging experience to my other EV's. Remember they designed this to compete with the simplicity of a gas station.

Good news! Plug and charge is coming, which will let your not-Tesla EV do exactly that. It should start rolling out to chargers like EA next year, but my guess is it will take the OEMs at least an extra year to update their cars because they suck.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Probably multiple years before release, and 0% chance it gets OTAd to model year cars before it gets released.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I'm not sure exactly what it means. I saw it here: https://electrek.co/2019/12/18/us-extends-tax-credits-for-ev-chargers-motorcycles-fuel-cells-again-retroactively/

I clicked the link to the legislation, and unfortunately it's one of those things that just says something like "replace 2017 with 2020 on the previous document" so for both your question, and what exactly defines an "electric motorcycle/vehicle" you'll have to look at the previous bill. I'm sure someone will report on it soon.

I'd like to assume that

quote:

Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station, a 10% credit (up to $2,500) on 2- or 3-wheeled electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles, and a $4,000 credit for the purchase of a new fuel-cell vehicle.

means that if I spent like $2300 on running an electrical line to my garage for a 14-50 for my car I'd get a tax credit of $690. But I'm not sure.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

On cold days here in Florida as long as it’s sunny and not too windy the inside of my car stays warm without any power spent. Hope that helps!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My bigger annoyance with the Kona is having to turn the heat on every now and then to clear the windows. I'm pretty comfortable with the seat warmer and my gloves, coat and hat on, and my toddler gets a blanket in the back.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I used the heat in my Tesla for the first time last week.

(Because I was wearing flip flops and it got down into the upper sixties.)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

A Strange Aeon posted:

My bigger annoyance with the Kona is having to turn the heat on every now and then to clear the windows. I'm pretty comfortable with the seat warmer and my gloves, coat and hat on
:yossame: with my Niro except no seat warmer

The good thing is that if you just run the defog for a minute it doesn't affect range that much. If range is at 150 before running defog for a minute, range will go to :rolldice: 135 while running, then up to 148 when turned off.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I'd like to assume that

means that if I spent like $2300 on running an electrical line to my garage for a 14-50 for my car I'd get a tax credit of $690. But I'm not sure.
Thanks.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 20, 2019

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So, in reading the previous law : https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:26%20section:30C%20edition:prelim)

It looks like you can use this for not just electrical 'fuel' infrastructure, but for LNG and other CH3, bio-diesel and blends, and kerosene(?). I guess that's because it's the difference between 'Alternative Fuel" and "Clean Fuel". Or maybe it all the same to the USG.

As for the definition of what is covered, it seems the key term is this "Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property"

Which has a long definition (of course) but the key part is this:

quote:

(B) for the recharging of motor vehicles propelled by

electricity, but only if the property is located at the point

where the motor vehicles are recharged.

and

quote:

(B) for the recharging of motor vehicles propelled by

electricity, but only if the property is located at the point

where the motor vehicles are recharged.

from here: http://www.givnerkaye.com/internal-revenue-code-section-179a/

So, I am not a tax lawyer, but it would seem that additonal wire conduit and panels would seem to be covered.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

sanchez posted:

It costs $2000. Not a terrible deal, keeps the performance owners happy but opens up some of the performance that was clearly being nerfed on the regular AWD cars. I'm going to wait for a dyno comparison, they should be well over 400WHP now.

It’s a big difference, especially from a standstill.

If the performance model with the 18” wheels had been available when I bought my model 3, I would have definitely gone for that instead of the long range AWD, but this is a decent compromise that doesn’t involve buying a new car.

I’m comfortable with the idea that this will result in increased engine motor wear, and that the cost is in part associated with increased incidence of warranty claims.

Edit: a word

Aino Minako fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

taqueso posted:

2017 Leaf with heat pump:

Draws 2kw on startup, drops off to about 1500 as read from my EVSE when climate preconditioning is on, that's to get up to temperature on a roughly 32F morning, the heat pump subsequently starts to cycle. Range indicator drops about 10% when climate controls turned on manually, assuming that the computer's simply multiplying climate control consumption by average speed, the math works out to about 1kw/hr, which seems about right to me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The heat pump is taking the waste heat from the batteries and motor? Seems like that could be a big efficiency win, you get warmer and less effort to actively cool the pack.

I ordered a couple 50W 12V electric blankets to play around with. I can't imagine being cold in an electric blanket sandwich.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The heat pump is just an air conditioner running in reverse, the batteries and motor are so efficient that waste heat is pretty much negligible, the Leaf is 100% passively cooled, it uses about 300 Wh/mile, I'd imagine waste heat to be around 5% of that, which works out to a very small dim incandescent bulb's worth of heat output.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The waste heat all comes from charging. Lol. Poor leafy. So close to awesome.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sanchez posted:

Hey Duck and Cover I demand you show me evidence that Tesla totally markets their car as a go fast zoom zoom car. I don't remember who that was, but it was really dumb and this post just reminded me of it.

Westy543 posted:

Tesla just entered into a partnership with EVGo to put Tesla plugs on all their charger, starting in San Francisco. Interesting decision. I don't expect a CCS adapter any time soon in NA in that case. Looks like Tesla might be flexing their early lead in the US to get their plugs on other stations. I wonder if this is the first of several.

Sounds like a lose lose. Tesla gets to continue to be stubborn about using their plugs and Tesla owners get to once again be smug about how their network is superior. (not that they ever stopped even when that wasn't the case). It's stupid. Everyone use the same plug and be done with it.

edit: Well not that's not a lose lose that's just two losses. How about EVgo wastes resources on something that should die a quick death but really it's probably worth it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 22, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Westy543 posted:

All of the EVgo stations around me are 50kW so they are molasses compared to Tesla Supercharger network at 150kW. I just feel that Tesla owners used to Supercharger speeds would be miffed at taking an hour or more to go 20%-80%.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was behind a Lexus ES300 hybrid today, and it had these awful camera dildos stuck where the side mirrors usually would be, and my sister brought up an interesting point. Would the energy savings of the slightly better aerodynamics of the camera dildos outweigh the energy required to run the cameras and screens all the time? Is there a speed at which the the aerodynamic benefits do eclipse the energy requirements of the camera dildo setup?

(camera dildo in question)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That is loving horrendous

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Finger Prince posted:

I was behind a Lexus ES300 hybrid today, and it had these awful camera dildos stuck where the side mirrors usually would be, and my sister brought up an interesting point. Would the energy savings of the slightly better aerodynamics of the camera dildos outweigh the energy required to run the cameras and screens all the time? Is there a speed at which the the aerodynamic benefits do eclipse the energy requirements of the camera dildo setup?

Honda's approach looks much better.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: wrong thread, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Finger Prince posted:

:wtf: