Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Word on the street has it that the 60° Rotax V2 in the old RSV Mille is a legendary engine that will Crank insane mileage because it's some marine derived powerplant but extrapolating from that singular engine to an entire brand of motorcycles is maybe a bit daring.

The only Aprilia I ever owned was a 50ccm 2 stroke scooter with a funky direct injection engine. Apart from eating spark plugs for breakfast and one coolant sensor it was cool and good (the engine was actually a Piaggio unit). I miss going 100km with 2 liters of fuel (118 mpg)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Combat Theory posted:

Word on the street has it that the 60° Rotax V2 in the old RSV Mille is a legendary engine that will Crank insane mileage because it's some marine derived powerplant but extrapolating from that singular engine to an entire brand of motorcycles is maybe a bit daring.

The only Aprilia I ever owned was a 50ccm 2 stroke scooter with a funky direct injection engine. Apart from eating spark plugs for breakfast and one coolant sensor it was cool and good (the engine was actually a Piaggio unit). I miss going 100km with 2 liters of fuel.

The Rotax 650 is supposed to be a great engine too for mileage. I had a G650X that I really liked that had it. Engine seemed good. Gearbox was not as great. BMW were idiots for putting a shift lever on there that would bend the shaft if you went down rather than itself.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Combat Theory posted:

The only Aprilia I ever owned was a 50ccm 2 stroke scooter with a funky direct injection engine. Apart from eating spark plugs for breakfast and one coolant sensor it was cool and good (the engine was actually a Piaggio unit). I miss going 100km with 2 liters of fuel (118 mpg)

i've only heard good things about the tuono RR. makes awesome power and has a metric poo poo ton of refined rider aids

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I owned a 2001 falco and besides taking a blow torch to it to replace the sprag clutch and starter it was great. I'm tempted to buy it back if I ever get the disposable income. Rotax's slap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Razzled posted:

rotax aprilia is superior to anything honda has ever and will ever put out
Shameful Austrian propaganda (Hitler was from there by the way)

Rotax makes some real turds, and many are in Aprilias. Their scooter motors are total poo poo, they routinely blow parts like coolant impellers that I don't think I've ever seen go bad on any other bike.

Disturbing that such a fraudulent company should also manufacture aircraft engines. Never trust an Austrian

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Asked awhile ago, but ended up with a 2017 Africa Twin manual in the red/white/blue color. This is to consolidate my WR250R and a R1200R. Wanted something that could do a highway heavy commute and do adventure and off-roady BDR type stuff. Ideally be cheaper than the BMW to own/service.

Other bikes in consideration were the usual crowd of ADVs: 800/1200 GS’s, 650/1k vstroms, Tenere, 790-1290s. I’ve owned a R1200GS in the past- loved it but wanted something different. The Tenere was boring and felt heavy. The Strom 1k was awesome, but felt dated. KTMs all seemed good too- the 790 especially for being so small/lightweight. The AT won out on my price/features/capability matrix.

It was sold “used” with 6 miles for a very fair price by the dealer. Better price than many used ones with way more miles/wear. Came with Honda extended warranty too. OEM center stand was on it too.

Big fear will be suspension issues- these bikes apparently are known for blowing seals and getting sticktion/wear that Honda hasn’t been covering. People seem to think the front forks are undersized. I’ll keep an eye out for it, and at some point it might be a good excuse for a suspension setup from a proper shop and have it customized for me.

It’s pretty great so far minus the rear axle nut and block. coming off mid ride. Dealer is shipping me a new one for free.

They’re pretty bikes, but the tricolor ones are the best imo with the gold wheels :whatup:

The exhaust is quiet, but sounds pretty good and fun at low speeds- especially for a Honda. The bike feels super balanced. Playing the “how long can I wait to put a foot down” game at stop lights and in traffic is fun. Instrument display isn’t great for standing. Enjoy the height a lot for commuting and riding in the city.

Still trying to feel confident on fast/sharp corners. Between the not yet worn in tires and 21” front it doesn’t have the best turn/fall in to corner feeling. The first few days I could make the traction control engage at highway speeds when it was raining.

Excited to put some different tires on and get this thing out on some fire roads next spring. In the mean time it’ll be commuting I-5 and I-90 most days.

Crashbars, luggage racks/panniers/top box, heated grips, solid hand gaurds, hippo hands, an adjustable/less turbulent windscreen, heated gear and power plug are next to turn it into full winter dad-bike mode. Maybe a chain oiler too.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
So I come back to make a question.

A friend of mine is selling me a HD Iron 883 in around 750 USD it has 13k KM 2013 and it has a bit of extra equipment, seems to be in good shape and I did a test drive and noticed no issues, but my bike knowledge is really small.

Is it a good price for the bike or what are your toughts?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
In the US that would be an absurdly good deal, unless there is something catastrophically wrong with the bike.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

MikeStmria posted:

A friend of mine is selling me a HD Iron 883 in around 750 USD it has 13k KM 2013 and it has a bit of extra equipment, seems to be in good shape and I did a test drive and noticed no issues, but my bike knowledge is really small.

If there's nothing catastrophically wrong with it, that's a 4.5K to 6K bike in the Dallas area. 750 USD is a screaming deal. (are you sure it's not stolen?)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MikeStmria posted:

:eyepop:

Do I recall correctly that you're in Mexico? And if so does your friend have any other bikes to sell?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MikeStmria posted:

:wow: is there an extra zero missing there?

mewse
May 2, 2006

MikeStmria posted:

Seems like a crazy deal, are you in Canada?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I am sorry for my stupidity, I did miss a 0 ini there.

Assuming today exchange rate is 6k which I can pay in 3 payments and he is taking my lovely 250cc bike into account. Bike has been checked and its legit.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
6k + you hand him a working 250 for a lightly used 2013 sportster is a so-so deal. It's not bad or anything, but if you want a sporster you can probably find one for a better price in the US. Not sure about where you are buying. Might be worth it if you know your friend is really good about maintenance, or if you can go chase him down with a tire iron if you find something really wrong with the bike later.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Mirconium posted:

6k + you hand him a working 250 for a lightly used 2013 sportster is a so-so deal. It's not bad or anything, but if you want a sporster you can probably find one for a better price in the US. Not sure about where you are buying. Might be worth it if you know your friend is really good about maintenance, or if you can go chase him down with a tire iron if you find something really wrong with the bike later.

Im from Mexico Ciity so getting it back is gonna be a huge deal, We have dream of going and buying something like a car or a camper in there and bring it here but it sutpidly expenisve. I have known him for 15 years or so, he said he takes good care of it because he uses it mostly to go on road trips, so its a no no to have it sort of hosed up.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Been thinking about a Kawasaki Vulcan S as my next bike... anyone have any experience with it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You guys have some weird perception of how much those little sportsters cost. Dealer will offer you 3K as part of a trade in for that thing. I'm seeing 1,200's of that vintage for around 5-6k in PA. The trend started sometime in the spring, people selling off Harley Davidsons for some reason, but there aren't too many buyers. Prices have been falling for a while. There are 2004+ Road Kings for under 5k on Craigslist. I got a police model with "high miles" (40k lol) for $4000. Whoever wants to pay 6K for an 883 can buy my bike for 5.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You guys have some weird perception of how much those little sportsters cost. Dealer will offer you 3K as part of a trade in for that thing. I'm seeing 1,200's of that vintage for around 5-6k in PA. The trend started sometime in the spring, people selling off Harley Davidsons for some reason, but there aren't too many buyers. Prices have been falling for a while. There are 2004+ Road Kings for under 5k on Craigslist. I got a police model with "high miles" (40k lol) for $4000. Whoever wants to pay 6K for an 883 can buy my bike for 5.

Might be a regional difference? The US is saturated with HD (for obvious reasons), plus American HD guys think Sportsters are too small (aaaay public health social commentary)
I get the feeling they're more of a premium item in other markets.

But yeah, like I said, 6k + a 250 is not really a good price for one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Big twins for less than ten grand would be amazing, if they were 5k I'd have a 90's Dyna already.

But sadly not Japanese = rare exotic around here despite Harleys being super common.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Big twins for less than ten grand would be amazing, if they were 5k I'd have a 90's Dyna already.

But sadly not Japanese = rare exotic around here despite Harleys being super common.
What is your nearest Port of entry? I can probably send you a container full of stupid things if you can pre-sell at least half of it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Next year I'm moving to a new job in Seattle that will have severely limited car parking nearby. I'm considering commuting by motorcycle, ~15 miles of mixed freeway and city traffic. I've currently got an XT250 for trail riding (and an electric bike for the summer,) but it's really not comfortable doing freeway miles in the wet.

Anyone got suggestions for a good commuter? Eyeing the V-Strom 650 or perhaps splurging for something Zero makes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

BabelFish posted:

Next year I'm moving to a new job in Seattle that will have severely limited car parking nearby. I'm considering commuting by motorcycle, ~15 miles of mixed freeway and city traffic. I've currently got an XT250 for trail riding (and an electric bike for the summer,) but it's really not comfortable doing freeway miles in the wet.

Anyone got suggestions for a good commuter? Eyeing the V-Strom 650 or perhaps splurging for something Zero makes.

Better tires for the xt250, and a windscreen. :colbert:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BabelFish posted:

Burgman 650

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Better tires for the xt250, and a windscreen. :armscrossed:

:colbert:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

Better tires for the xt250, and a windscreen. :colbert:

I bought a windscreen already so perhaps I'll just go buy a second set of wheels to be able to swap the tires quicker and start with that!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

What is your nearest Port of entry? I can probably send you a container full of stupid things if you can pre-sell at least half of it.

I'd very much love to do this but I have no money or rest assured I'd be doing it already; VROD's are the current golden goose, 2-300% profits are not unusual.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

BabelFish posted:

What commute exactly? I commute Seattle/Bellevue. I5/I-90 mostly, 520 sometimes. Depending on your route you’ll want a good2go pass. Motos aren’t exempt from all tolls. You can use HOV lanes though, and motorcycle only parking exists in various places if you look hard.

Zero would be rad- check if your home or work would have charging. ADV bikes like the Strom seem popular here for year round commuting.

What sort of gear do you have- budget for some heated and waterproof gear and be a year round commuter. Top box or other luggage is rad too.

There’s a good motorcycle scene in the area- plenty of new and used bikes. Good local shops. There’s even a semi decent local magazine/podcast focused on PNW motorcycling- Sound Rider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

rotax aprilia is superior to anything honda has ever and will ever put out

*cough* SXV

My theory is that the rotax aircraft motors have to be reliable and therefore kinda boring, so when they make road bike engines they go wild, resulting in interestingly lovely engines. Memorably lovely. “Really just gets under your skin and tattoos it’s shittyness on your subdermal tissue” lovely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*cough* SXV

My theory is that the rotax aircraft motors have to be reliable and therefore kinda boring, so when they make road bike engines they go wild, resulting in interestingly lovely engines. Memorably lovely. “Really just gets under your skin and tattoos it’s shittyness on your subdermal tissue” lovely.

The SXV was perfect for what it was supposed to be!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

What commute exactly? I commute Seattle/Bellevue. I5/I-90 mostly, 520 sometimes. Depending on your route you’ll want a good2go pass. Motos aren’t exempt from all tolls. You can use HOV lanes though, and motorcycle only parking exists in various places if you look hard.

Zero would be rad- check if your home or work would have charging. ADV bikes like the Strom seem popular here for year round commuting.

What sort of gear do you have- budget for some heated and waterproof gear and be a year round commuter. Top box or other luggage is rad too.

There’s a good motorcycle scene in the area- plenty of new and used bikes. Good local shops. There’s even a semi decent local magazine/podcast focused on PNW motorcycling- Sound Rider.

Factoria to Fremont. 90 to 5 99% of the time.

We recently had to get a new breaker box for the house, so I got an extra 40amp 220v socket put in at the same time, charging at home shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a set of Alpinestars Andes v2 jacket and pants. They've been quite warm, was looking at Revit's waterproof overpants so I don't have to change at the office, probably some form of heated glove liner too. I've got the budget for a set of luggage, at least a top box.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Quick question, why are 1100 Monster Evo's so cheap? I've seen a few for 5-6k while 797's go for 8-9. Are they a maintenance nightmare?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*cough* SXV

Isn't the SXV an in-house engine? Fairly sure the Aprilia/Rotax deal died with the Mille.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

BabelFish posted:

Factoria to Fremont. 90 to 5 99% of the time.

I’m near Magnuson Park and go to Factoria. Small world! Used to do Fremont/Factoria.

Heated gear has been great this winter.

I’m a big nerd and dad-bike it to me he extreme. Hi-viz Aerostich, heated liner and heated gloves.

Holla if you wanna go for a fun ride sometime! I have a few other friends nearby who ride too.

PNW moto goon meet when?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

Quick question, why are 1100 Monster Evo's so cheap? I've seen a few for 5-6k while 797's go for 8-9. Are they a maintenance nightmare?

They're exactly the same as every other air cooled Ducati, so expensive and terrible if you don't know what you're doing, but that's never had an effect on ducati prices in the past.

My bet would be that they look terribly obsolescent on paper compared to the newer water cooled models, they also have really lackluster performance for their size (as in not any faster than an m800) because ducati chose to gear them like a salt flat racer (seriously, if 100kmh is too slow to select sixth gear on a naked bike wtf is it even for??) but that's easily fixed with a sprocket change.

From my perspective, it's got all the benefits of an air cooled monster (small, light, simple, awesome handling) but with a satisfyingly huge engine, like a factory built big-bore hotrod. If you've never ridden an air cooled Ducati, you should try it they're pretty special.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

They're exactly the same as every other air cooled Ducati, so expensive and terrible if you don't know what you're doing, but that's never had an effect on ducati prices in the past.

My bet would be that they look terribly obsolescent on paper compared to the newer water cooled models, they also have really lackluster performance for their size (as in not any faster than an m800) because ducati chose to gear them like a salt flat racer (seriously, if 100kmh is too slow to select sixth gear on a naked bike wtf is it even for??) but that's easily fixed with a sprocket change.

From my perspective, it's got all the benefits of an air cooled monster (small, light, simple, awesome handling) but with a satisfyingly huge engine, like a factory built big-bore hotrod. If you've never ridden an air cooled Ducati, you should try it they're pretty special.

Makes sense!

Yeah, I rode a Monster 796 to the beach. It was a great experience.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Don't forget it still has the dry clutch, so that high gearing is even more irritating in literally the only use case for a naked Ducati (compared to a naked any-other-bike), which is looking cool around town.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

If you could only have one bike for mostly street riding with the occasional shorter road trips, what would it be?

I know that's a reductive question that needs a lot more specificity to be remotely useful, but just in general I've been wondering if I should break out of my stubborn sport bike mindset. I haven't ridden much else so I bet there's something out there I'd end up loving if I discovered what it is. In a perfect world, I'd have a garage I could start filling with bikes, but current circumstances dictate just one.

The rational part of my mind is saying just get something like a Versys 300, ridiculously cheap, easy to maintain, nice practical dad-grade starter pack windscreen, but practical and rational isn't what got me into these drat things in the first place and I kinda want a ZX-10 or an R1 next. I know stepping down from a 636 sportbike would make me sad for at least a while too.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

SV650?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you could only have one bike for mostly street riding with the occasional shorter road trips, what would it be?

I know that's a reductive question that needs a lot more specificity to be remotely useful, but just in general I've been wondering if I should break out of my stubborn sport bike mindset. I haven't ridden much else so I bet there's something out there I'd end up loving if I discovered what it is. In a perfect world, I'd have a garage I could start filling with bikes, but current circumstances dictate just one.

The rational part of my mind is saying just get something like a Versys 300, ridiculously cheap, easy to maintain, nice practical dad-grade starter pack windscreen, but practical and rational isn't what got me into these drat things in the first place and I kinda want a ZX-10 or an R1 next. I know stepping down from a 636 sportbike would make me sad for at least a while too.

get a 1290 SAR lol

it's infinitely more comfortable than my R6 and hilariously more fun. 2017s are going for pretty cheap these days and the LC8 is a very well proven, reliable motor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's what I've been looking at recently as a great all-rounder. V-Twin, affordable, decent power. Would prefer full fairings though..