Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

SelenicMartian posted:

What, did they breakdance?

They kissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mooey Cow posted:

Ah yes, the movie where literally no one is afraid of the *checks notes* literal horror movie monster, not even the guy that gets magically choked by him, and where he spends most of the time talking to an old British dude, barely manages to kill another old British dude after he gives up, then gets sent flying out into space while shouting "WHAT".

Hmm yeah, ANH Darth Vader is one of the most intimidating characters in cinematic history, but I guess he just sucks and no one is scared of him in a movie where his mere presence chills the gently caress out of everyone in the room whenever he appears onscreen. :rolleyes:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You’re thinking of ESB. ANH Vader is a henchman. A point is made of how his allies don’t fear him, even if maybe they should. It’s ESB where he permanently steals the show and everyone is constantly cringing away from him and scurrying to do his bidding.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

"Gratuitous pandering" is meaningless over-the-top action and other elements in a movie purely to grab fanboy/fangirl attention, like what AotC does with 10 billion Jedi pointlessly wielding lightsabers or TFA with pretty much any of the Millennium Falcon scenes. They don't add much of anything to the movie besides eye candy (and even that is probably false with AotC) and are there to sell tickets with cool trailer cuts. While Rogue One is the exact opposite with Vader. His scenes absolutely have a strong purpose in expanding on Vader's mystique and complimenting his iconic mythology from the OT, ANH especially.

Maybe you disliked how Rogue treated Vader, but that doesn't mean it was gratuitous just because it wasn't your thing.

What you described pandering as is exactly how I'd describe Vader's apperance in Rogue One. And the reason so many fans like it.

I'm even willing to bet that all the Vader stuff in Rogue One is reshoots in order to shove another thing that people recognize in there. He has no interaction with any of the main characters and next to no bearing on the plot except as a cameo, wink and 'nerdgasm' moment when he's Jason and murders the Rebels, gently caress yeah...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

skasion posted:

You’re thinking of ESB. ANH Vader is a henchman. A point is made of how his allies don’t fear him, even if maybe they should. It’s ESB where he permanently steals the show and everyone is constantly cringing away from him and scurrying to do his bidding.

Yet all this is communicated without him ever being loving Jason. Except for the fight with Luke he rarely exerts himself and lets his underlings do the dirty work. This makes him scarier and a better villain and shows restraint (which no doubt comes from the limitations of the costume in part, same as the lightsabers seeing limited use because of at the time more expensive and less seamless effects) on the part of the filmmakers, which works to the movie's benefit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Randarkman posted:

Yet all this is communicated without him ever being loving Jason. Except for the fight with Luke he rarely exerts himself and lets his underlings do the dirty work. This makes him scarier and a better villain and shows restraint (which no doubt comes from the limitations of the costume in part, same as the lightsabers seeing limited use because of at the time more expensive and less seamless effects) on the part of the filmmakers, which works to the movie's benefit.

Yeah IIRC Vader kills only two guys in ESB, both on his own team

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

He has no interaction with any of the main characters and next to no bearing on the plot except as a cameo

I mean he doesn't interact with any of the heroes, but he does interact with Krennic, who I'd say is among the main characters. And it's their conversation at the castle, specifically Vader's insistence that Krennic must be able to give assurances that the Death Star has not been compromised, that directly leads to Krennic going to Scarif. So he does have bearing on the plot.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

"Vader strikes mortal fear into all and sundry" isn't really that accurate. Some manlet moff sasses him in front of everybody in ANH and Tarkin's more exasperated than anything when Vader retaliates. He's just muscle and while there's value to showing muscle acting muscular, people aren't wrong to describe the Rogue One sequence as kinda masturbatory

That random guy who sasses Vader has got to be one of my favorite screen performances ever.
"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort..."

You can tell that actor had a freakin' ball playing someone that amazingly arrogant. It actually helps sell the Vader force-choke because gawd, who wouldn't want to choke someone like that?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I mean he doesn't interact with any of the heroes, but he does interact with Krennic, who I'd say is among the main characters. And it's their conversation at the castle, specifically Vader's insistence that Krennic must be able to give assurances that the Death Star has not been compromised, that directly leads to Krennic going to Scarif. So he does have bearing on the plot.

That's Vader interacting with one actor on a green screen set, I guarantee you that was a reshoot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

That random guy who sasses Vader has got to be one of my favorite screen performances ever.
"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort..."

You can tell that actor had a freakin' ball playing someone that amazingly arrogant. It actually helps sell the Vader force-choke because gawd, who wouldn't want to choke someone like that?

But in all fairness it was a accurate complaint given how incompetent the Empire seems to be in all the movies like their supposedly best Legion getting clowned on by cannibal midgets.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The conference scene in ANH is probably my favorite single scene in the entire series.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I always wondered if it wasn't a winking meta-commentary joke that the guy gets choked off from name checking the Kurasawa flick that inspired a huge amount of the screenplay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

That's Vader interacting with one actor on a green screen set, I guarantee you that was a reshoot.

Ok that's a good point, it easily could be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

When you think of it Vader is basically the Sci Fi version of a insufferable weeboo.

Of the glory of authentic and superior Jedi culture.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

I'm even willing to bet that all the Vader stuff in Rogue One is reshoots in order to shove another thing that people recognize in there. He has no interaction with any of the main characters and next to no bearing on the plot except as a cameo, wink and 'nerdgasm' moment when he's Jason and murders the Rebels, gently caress yeah...

Maybe it was a reshoot, but who cares? It's great material. Feels like you didn't even pay attention to the movie because Vader interacts directly with Director Krennic several times, who is the main villain of the movie. Of course he has no interactions with the main Rebel cast because now that would be loving stupid gratuitous pandering. Why in the heck would Vader bother with a band of random no-name Rebels who he could vaporize without thinking? You have very bad ideas and I'm glad you didn't write or film Rogue One.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 19, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Randarkman posted:

The conference scene in ANH is probably my favorite single scene in the entire series.

Tarkin's incredulously :raise: when Vader starts choking the guy is loving perfect.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Maybe it was a reshoot, but who cares? It's great material. But a post like this feel like you didn't even pay attention the movie because Vader interacts directly with Director Krennic several times, who is the main villain of the movie. Of course he has no interactions with the main Rebel cast because now that would be loving stupid gratuitous pandering. Why in the heck would Vader bother with a band of random no-name Rebels who he could vaporize without thinking? You have very bad ideas and I'm glad you didn't write or film Rogue One.

I have the best idea for Rogue One, it shouldn't have been made.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haha, yup. The admiral meeting in ANH is probably my favorite Star Wars scene and the OT is full of incredibly great scenes on that level.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 20, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So I heard rumours that the rise of skywalker is actually really bad, can anyone confirm?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Haha, yup. The admiral meeting in ANH is probably favorite Star Wars scene and the OT is full of incredibly great scenes on that level.

It's exactly the kind of nice punchy world-building scene that the sequel trilogy needed more of. A few cast off lines about the emperor dissolving the senate and exercising dictatorship through governors like Tarkin helps loosely sketch in the world this story is taking place in. It's just the right amount, not the "galactic C-Span" of the PT, or the ST that really doesn't seem to care about providing much of a context for how the FO, Republic, and Resistance relate at all.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

So I heard rumours that the rise of skywalker is actually really bad, can anyone confirm?

Well Kylo tells Rey he is going to turn her to the darkside and then in the next scene with him he tries to run her over?

So yeah, confirmed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Well Kylo tells Rey he is going to turn her to the darkside and then in the next scene with him he tries to run her over?

Hey imagine how easy it would be to turn someone if they're stuck in a body cast and you can just hoot threatening sith nonsense at them for weeks?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Haha, yup. The admiral meeting in ANH is probably favorite Star Wars scene and the OT is full of incredibly great scenes on that level.

Sydin posted:

Tarkin's incredulously :raise: when Vader starts choking the guy is loving perfect.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I always wondered if it wasn't a winking meta-commentary joke that the guy gets choked off from name checking the Kurasawa flick that inspired a huge amount of the screenplay.

Randarkman posted:

Adding to all this: the guy does a great job of pretending to be choked. I should go look up that actor's name. He deserves that much, at least.

etalian posted:

But in all fairness it was a accurate complaint given how incompetent the Empire seems to be in all the movies like their supposedly best Legion getting clowned on by cannibal midgets.

The fact that he's right just makes it all the sweeter. The way Vader steps forward to approach him like he's thinking, oh, you motherfucker tells how he's actually stung by being called out like this.

Edit: Oh, hell, let's all just watch it again together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNSnJbjdws

Star Wars was really loving good back in the day, boys.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hey imagine how easy it would be to turn someone if they're stuck in a body cast and you can just hoot threatening sith nonsense at them for weeks?

Makes sense!

C3P0 has to have his memory wiped... Why don't they just loving back up his memory?

drat, no extra SSDs sitting around?

The little Droid dude is how big Snoke should have been.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

An Ounce of Gold posted:

So yeah, confirmed.

He later tells her that was just a test, ugh pay attention to the important dialogue!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Just Chamber posted:

He later tells her that was just a test, ugh pay attention to the important dialogue!

I just got to that part. It seems stupid though...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Watching all these British Imperial guys reminds me that Rey being British does actually make for some nifty retrograde foreshadowing, heh heh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

An Ounce of Gold posted:

C3P0 has to have his memory wiped... Why don't they just loving back up his memory?

drat, no extra SSDs sitting around?

Because it's all nonsense put together by a hack, OP.

Hope this helps.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

An Ounce of Gold posted:

So yeah, confirmed.

ROS should have just been entirely about Kylo Ren's wacky attempts to chase down Rey and turn her to the Dark Side, like a Sith Wile E Coyote.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I just got to that part. It seems stupid though...

Wait, are you liveposting while watching? Haha, just give us a rundown of the most ridiculous parts in real-time!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Voting Floater posted:

ROS should have just been entirely about Kylo Ren's wacky attempts to chase down Rey and turn her to the Dark Side, like a Sith Wile E Coyote.

"I needed to test you. That is why I left the bird seed in the middle of the road and aimed the catapult at you."

Wait, are you liveposting while watching? Haha, just give us a rundown of the most ridiculous parts in real-time!

I think it would be easier to post the things I've liked:

1. The little droid guy.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 20, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I needed to test you, I needed to see if you could do a sick flip over my Tie Fighter, it was so loving dope.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Watching all these British Imperial guys reminds me that Rey being British does actually make for some nifty retrograde foreshadowing, heh heh.

The guy Vader chokes is American though. Subsequent popular culture has overplayed the Britishness of the Imperials, which probably was mostly the result of where the films were primarily shot.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's a loving great scene in every respect but yeah that guy is the lynchpin

Randarkman posted:

:hai: ANH loving rips

It gets across a crazy amount of exposition and characterization in an insanely short time while also being engaging dramatically with conflicting motivations and reversals of fortune, all in just two minutes. Like imagine if they'd bothered to do anything half as effective as this one scene in TFA to explain the relationship between the Resistance and the First Order. People would have actually been able to figure out what was loving happening

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if disney had got spielberg to direct these?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman posted:

The guy Vader chokes is American though. Subsequent popular culture has overplayed the Britishness of the Imperials, which probably was mostly the result of where the films were primarily shot.

Ah, but he's an American trying to sound British, though, with that hoity-toity Frasier mid-Atlantic accent. The Empire is so British even its Americans get British-ish.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

what if disney had got spielberg to direct these?

Current Spielberg and JJ are about the same level of shlock.

So not much different?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Randarkman posted:

But it also adds a nice class divide that if intentional would have been cool. The officers coming from high class affluent society, the Stormtroopers drafted from backwater planets. Though you'd need some cockney Stormtroopers to help that narrative. Though the British believing Americans are their lessers isn't exactly inaccurate.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably better even assuming JJ ~ modern spielberg, since spielberg would be more resistant to studio bullying (but this is also the reason why it would never be on the table)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ah, but he's an American trying to sound British, though, with that hoity-toity Frasier mid-Atlantic accent. The Empire is so British even its Americans get British-ish.

Thinking about it. Doesn't he kind of look like Frasier?