Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmmm... on one hand she says I want to lose weight and then ignores him telling her exactly what she needs to do.

On the other hand if she can be believed the dude is a raging rear end in a top hat.
That said, given how she talks about how hard she's trying to lose weight while describing doing absolutely nothing I'm not really inclined to believe her.

It’s not what he said, but how he said it, IMO, that really makes him the rear end in a top hat, although there was some stuff that was just straight rear end in a top hat no matter how he said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmmm... on one hand she says I want to lose weight and then ignores him telling her exactly what she needs to do.

On the other hand if she can be believed the dude is a raging rear end in a top hat.
That said, given how she talks about how hard she's trying to lose weight while describing doing absolutely nothing I'm not really inclined to believe her.

i don't loving give a poo poo whether or how hard she is trying to lose weight, or if she is in fact not trying at all and sitting around shovelling chips in her face all day. HER BOYFRIEND SAYS "YOUR BODY DOESN'T DESERVE COMPLIMENTS." if he doesn't think that she is worth complimenting he should break up with her, but instead, her boyfriend is a stupid prick who treats people like poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Girl gotta get a boyfriend who down with the thiccness.

That's my advice.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for my husband and I getting mad and leaving after a family told us to "keep it down" at a bar?

It ain't Friday night til we get kicked out of an Applebee's.

(I have been kicked out of an Applebee's)

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

FoolyCharged posted:

this girl disclosed her history of ED and resultant triggers and the dude continues to tell her that she just needs to diet better. my vote is :murder:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

It ain't Friday night til we get kicked out of an Applebee's.

(I have been kicked out of an Applebee's)
Based on it being in Canada, I bet it's a Boston Pizza. Which is a more sporty Applebee's, I think.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

We have no shortage of random lovely sports bars in Canada, really could be anything. That being said the appropriate response is to acknowledge the waitress' suggestion but just continue with your night with no change in behaviour.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Boston has a style of pizza. It sounds like an American parody restaurant like New York Burger or Chicago Lasagna.

Actually I know they don't have one because they wouldn't shut up about it. We would all know.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cumshitter posted:

I don't think Boston has a style of pizza. It sounds like an American parody restaurant like New York Burger or Chicago Lasagna.

Actually I know they don't have one because they wouldn't shut up about it. We would all know.

New England has Greek Pizza and Apizza. The first is everywhere in the area, and the second is around New Haven. Boston don't got anything particular so I have no idea what Canadians think they're doing with this one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Solovey posted:

this girl disclosed her history of ED and resultant triggers and the dude continues to tell her that she just needs to diet better. my vote is :murder:

Or alternatively he told her that if she wants to lose the weight, she's got to do it right or it won't work and it wont stick. Trying to do lasting weight loss without calorie counting is like going to the gym and tossing an arbitrary amount of weight on the bar without looking at the numbers. Just because she needs to be a lot more careful than the average person with the necessary tools doesn't make them any less necessary.

InediblePenguin posted:

i don't loving give a poo poo whether or how hard she is trying to lose weight, or if she is in fact not trying at all and sitting around shovelling chips in her face all day. HER BOYFRIEND SAYS "YOUR BODY DOESN'T DESERVE COMPLIMENTS." if he doesn't think that she is worth complimenting he should break up with her, but instead, her boyfriend is a stupid prick who treats people like poo poo.

Her words, summarizing a conversation in two sentences. The dude could have very easily said he can't compliment her on her weight loss success yet.

Like I said, if the dude did actually behave as she described then his is, in fact, a gigantic raging rear end in a top hat.

I just don't trust the person writing something that read like a HAES manifesto to be telling me the truth.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Such Fun posted:

Why would you give a stripper a handjob? “Es heißt ja auch Handjob, und nicht Handholiday.”

Why is this so funny? I don't even know German.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (24F) boyfriend (25M) doesn’t think my body deserves compliments.

For some background: My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year. Like many women my age I have been dealing with a low self esteem due to a lowered metabolism and changing body. I also struggled with chronic illness for several years that made it difficult to work out and my doctors told me I shouldn’t. Despite this, I could tell working out was important to my boyfriend so I tried to go to the gym with him once or twice a week. I’ve even gone on runs with him. I am fortunate to have started some new medication and am feeling a lot better, but he and I haven’t gone to the gym in a while due to the holidays, lack of motivation, illness, etc.

Whenever I try to complain to my boyfriend about my self esteem his response is something along the lines of “yeah, then you need to work out” and is never positive and uplifting. He never tells me he likes my body. The other night I tried to tell him that I was struggling and he said we should start a strict diet, counting out calories and tracking our weight. While I am all for trying to lose weight, I explained to him that I was nervous to do those things because I was anorexic in high school and calories and weight loss were my triggers. He became really upset because we “have to do it the right way.”

I’d finally had enough and decided to call him out on his negative responses because they’re hurting my self esteem. He told me that it is important for him to have a girlfriend that is fit and will take part in that lifestyle with him. I asked how he doesn’t see how that response in itself was hurtful and he responded with “it’s not mean, it’s the truth.” He ended up crying the rest of the night for reasons he couldn’t figure out and I got to console him until we went to sleep. I left after he went to sleep because I didn’t want to see him in the morning.

The next morning he called and we fought. He told me that he has the fundamental belief that people don’t deserve compliments for things they don’t put effort into. Therefore, my body does not deserve any compliments. At this point I am livid and tell him that his responses and beliefs are hurtful, and I don’t understand why he’s okay with upsetting me as much as he is. I try to explain to him that it is normal for people to want compliments, especially from their S.O. He thinks I am an rear end in a top hat for shutting him down and putting value in a societal convention.

He is dead set on keeping his opinion and I am sick to my stomach that he feels this way about my body. He's typically sweet and I have no idea how to move forward from here. What should I do?

I think it’s important to mention that I am not obese, I am a size 6, 140 pounds. I could just stand to lose ten or so.

TL;DR when I complain to my boyfriend about my body he tells me to work out or diet, when I told him that his responses are hurting my self esteem and it would be nice to hear a compliment every once and a while he says he doesn't think my body deserves compliments.

The crying was a ploy to get sympathy. Just break up a guy who berates you for not being fit enough at size 6 is not worth staying with.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

FoolyCharged posted:

Or alternatively he told her that if she wants to lose the weight, she's got to do it right or it won't work and it wont stick. Trying to do lasting weight loss without calorie counting is like going to the gym and tossing an arbitrary amount of weight on the bar without looking at the numbers. Just because she needs to be a lot more careful than the average person with the necessary tools doesn't make them any less necessary.

Her words, summarizing a conversation in two sentences. The dude could have very easily said he can't compliment her on her weight loss success yet.

Like I said, if the dude did actually behave as she described then his is, in fact, a gigantic raging rear end in a top hat.

I just don't trust the person writing something that read like a HAES manifesto to be telling me the truth.

Yeah dude god forbid he compliments his girlfriend. What's next, washing his rear end? No thanks

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Transmogrifier posted:

AITA for telling my friend she got an STD from sleeping around?

Like three weeks ago she called me crying to take her to the clinic because she had painful itchy blisters on her groin, turned out to be herpes. I did it without judging her at the time

Oh I'm sure you did, I bet there wasn't one ounce of judgment at all.

Definitely went a bit far on the callout, but I am also tired of people spouting off insults as just joking around, especially when you focus it on something stupid like if you date enough. What's enough? Should I be Zack Morris and date everyone, but also kinda have a steady girlfriend? Should I just look for the one? It's almost as if everyone has their own feelings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cumshitter posted:

Boston Pizza is a chain currently running a "Christmas Pizza" promotion.

quote:

All the flavours of a traditional Christmas dinner…on a pizza! Seasoned rotisserie turkey, house-made stuffing, rosemary sage cream sauce and Italian cheeses. Served with cranberry sauce and warm turkey gravy. 1 Free TOBLERONE with each Indy/Small or 2 Free TOBLERONES with each Medium/Large. While supplies last.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Ask any landlord you know

Where, in the guillotine line?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

cumshitter posted:

I have a picture from my first trip to Barcelona Spain of a small restaurant in almost a strip mall advertising world famous Boston Pizza.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/aita_reddit/status/1207708325187596290?s=21

My mom behaved very well, except for the occasional cloud of vape in the delivery room

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Chomp8645 posted:

Girl gotta get a boyfriend who down with the thiccness.

That's my advice.

GET UP, COME ON
GET DOWN WITH THE THICCNESS!

ASSCHEEK CLAPPING IS
WHAT WILL ALERT YOU TO ME

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

My mum reached into my vagina and my soul left my body.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I love these lovely parents so much.

AITA for telling my daughter I didn't want to eat at the restaurant she picked for her birthday?

quote:

So my daughter is turning 24 and for her birthday she wanted us all to go to a Thai food place. I don't like Thai food at all and it sometimes makes me feel sick. I told her I didn't want to go there, and my other daughter was really annoyed and said that I was being an rear end in a top hat. I don't think I am, because my 24 year old knows that I hate this kind of food. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jesus I don't like Thai but even I can just find something on the menu I like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyve got white rice, mom.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

cumshitter posted:

*very quietly* we call it bar pizza here

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If the guy gets ill from Thai but not from other Asian cuisine I'd suspect a peanut allergy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

If the guy gets ill from Thai but not from other Asian cuisine I'd suspect a peanut allergy.

He doesn't get ill, he's just a punk bitch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not sharing my Christmas bonus with coworkers who have been here longer?

I work in a lab, and work with organs and the like. I graduated from grad school in August, and was hired in early spring to begin here once August came around. They only had one person doing the work of two, so I started 4 days after graduating, despite others in my class taking a month off to relax a little, wanting to ease the work load a bit. The other woman, we will call B, is great and does a lot for this lab and stays after or comes in early to help the patient. However, so do I. I’ve worked 50 hours a week though I get paid for 40, just to help out here. One woman, T, logs things into the computer, places labels on containers, goes through the hospital collecting things, etc. I help her out by doing the labels sometimes, when I have nothing else to do.

Since getting here I have worked my butt off. I have 90k in student loans, and make about 14k less than what I owe. I get along with everyone and help when I can. When the manager says jump I say how high, because patient care is what matters.

The problem. Apparently we got Christmas bonuses from the doctor. I didn’t know this until today. T Comes up to me while I’m working, smiling, and said ‘B and I were talking and we think because you’ve only been here 5 months and we’ve been here all year you need to split your cheistmas bonus with us. It’s a lot this year.’ I just kind of looked at her and she walked away. 5 minutes later she comes by and says ‘ we will talk later,’ smirking.

I’m both anxious as hell and mad. I think it’s Insulting, and I do some of her work sometimes. However, I can see the frustration. But it’s not like they got less so I got something. What do I do? I feel like I’m Being taken advantage of for being young and nice.

Edit to add: B has not said anything to me, I don’t know if she really feels that way or not. I feel like she’s be fine if I said no, it’s T who feels entitled to it.

Edit: it’s also literally just $150 cash, from the doctor herself. Just a nice ‘thanks for your work I appreciate you’ monetary gift, and I’m grateful for it. That’s my utilities next month or going right to loans, I refuse to complain about getting extra money despite the amount. Also, I only worked thattt much extra a few times, but I can come in late for an early dr appt if I want and not take sick time, unfortunately, when you have a bunch of people who depend on you to get their stuff done (example: breast specimens need to be completed before 72 hours of being in formalin, or else you can’t stain for Hooke receptors, last minute autopsies, patients going under surgery and hey keep sending samples for immediate diagnosis to try and get all the tumor out), you do the right thing sometimes. That’s the healthcare world for you, fortunately I love what I do and don’t mind it, and it’s really only happened when the other woman was sick or out on vacation.

Last update: I left work but hadn’t talked to T since she mentioned it, B has said nothing and we talked throughout the day. Tomorrow I’ll learn if it was a joke or not. I posted this because the request seemed so absurd, and as a new person right out of grad school, I was taken aback by the reasoning, but can understand a little of the disappointment where you work somewhere for a year and get $X and someone who hasn’t been there even half the time gets the same amount too, and I also wrote this before opening the card and seeing it was $150. She made it sound like thousands of dollars, and she appealed to my empathetic side, which is super empathetic. Mix together whipping empathy and shock and a kind timid personality and you have someone who doesn’t know if keeping it will make her look like TA or not to others.

Posting from a few pages back but this is literally one of the oldest tales in the world. The parable of the workers in the vineyard.

There aren't many times in life to mic drop scripture on someone but that would be the moment.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

HMS Beagle posted:

I love these lovely parents so much.

AITA for telling my daughter I didn't want to eat at the restaurant she picked for her birthday?

This reminds me of the time my stepsister (6 years older than me) threw a fit because I wanted to eat at Panera instead of Olive Garden for the third time. She outright refused to order anything and was basically just being a bitch about it like the food at Panera was so much more intense or weird that she couldn't eat it. They are both bullshit, whitey chain restaurants and I just wanted the goddamn chicken Thai salad, Megan!

The same stepsister and her husband treated me to a dinner at Red Lobster for my birthday, because they liked it even though they knew I thought it was crap. It was so godawfully bland and overcooked. But at least I still ordered food and thanked them because I'm not the whiny bitchbaby like she is.

Just suck it up and get something really simple or nibble at some appetizers. One meal you're sort of eh about is worth your daughter enjoying something she probably doesn't get to eat that often, if at all. My family only eats at the blandest, whitest chain places and god am I tired of it, but I'll eat something off the menu. And I don't even like my family. I'd take them to some more adventurous restaurants but they'd refuse to eat it.

Example: I once ordered lengua at a Mexican place and my sister and her husband stopped eating and acted like they would puke. It was normal-looking cooked beef chunks in green sauce, no tastebuds or icky stuff in sight. It was the most tender beef I've ever had and they gagged at me the whole time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I'm probably alone here but I don't think just asking someone to pick a different restaurant necessarily makes you an rear end in a top hat, even if it is their birthday. Now if you start throwing a tantrum and saying you'll refuse to go/pay unless they pick something else, that's a different story.

I also don't buy that a 24 year old rarely ever gets a chance to eat Thai food.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

empty sea posted:

This reminds me of the time my stepsister (6 years older than me) threw a fit because I wanted to eat at Panera instead of Olive Garden for the third time.
The same stepsister and her husband treated me to a dinner at Red Lobster for my birthday,

I sense another chain restaurant derail coming on.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like Thai food and I don't know if the restaurant near me is any indication but they have like 300 options and even more if you want to get into Northern/Southern Thai distinctions so I don't know how you could fail to find an option that's the SE Asian equivalent of chicken tenders and french fries if you're that picky.

Which would be, I dunno, beef and rice?

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

therobit posted:

I sense another chain restaurant derail coming on.

Burger King really does char broil their burgs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cyks posted:

I'm probably alone here but I don't think just asking someone to pick a different restaurant necessarily makes you an rear end in a top hat, even if it is their birthday.

It is if your objection is "ew gross".

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Odd posted:

Burger King really does char broil their burgs

Wendy's burgers really are fresh never frozen

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

empty sea posted:

Example: I once ordered lengua at a Mexican place and my sister and her husband stopped eating and acted like they would puke. It was normal-looking cooked beef chunks in green sauce, no tastebuds or icky stuff in sight. It was the most tender beef I've ever had and they gagged at me the whole time.

Hmm, mine was more chewy when I had it. Mom picked it up from the butcher on a whim though, so we may have cooked it wrong.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Wendy's burgers really are fresh never frozen

I have bad news for you if you like their chili though...

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

People who can't enjoy all types of food should just be cut out of your life. Who needs that sort of negativity hanging around?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

cumshitter posted:

I like Thai food and I don't know if the restaurant near me is any indication but they have like 300 options and even more if you want to get into Northern/Southern Thai distinctions so I don't know how you could fail to find an option that's the SE Asian equivalent of chicken tenders and french fries if you're that picky.

Which would be, I dunno, beef and rice?

Yeah, if you are taking a manchild out for Thai dinner, just get the lemongrass chicken. It is bland as gently caress.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Should have gone to a Soup Plantation, they have lots of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Eight [25-29F] friends ghosted me [28M] in 5 months. I don't understand why.

I'm going to admit that I'm not the easiest person to be around. I'm bipolar, I'm facing life challenges preventing me from working temporarily, and it's essentially impossible to hide what I'm going through.

I'm the kind of person who answers 3 am phone calls, offer rides home when I'm still tired before the sun even rises, can hold 2 hour long phone calls to listen to someone, gifts on every occasion even if it's not one. I respond to every message sent to me within a minute and answer every phone call. If a friend of mine is in crisis, I'll drop whatever I'm doing and be there for them, even if they they live in another town in the city.

The pattern is pretty common, a seemingly random conversation chat ends on a cliffhanger. I just assume the person is busy taking a break. Next thing I know I'm blocked on everything and never hear from them ever again.

I'm never told why they went away and it made me feel so inadequate and confused more so. I have to admit to shedding a few tears because I just lost a friend I invested in so much but more importantly someone who was about to be my best friend. Some of them were already my best friends (and even used the 'l' word) and that hurt even more.

It wasn't until yesterday someone was explicit that they didn't want to see me anymore. Apparently, I offer too much even for the beginning of a friendship, I'm too nice and too available and apparently that's scary. Being open and transparent and valuing deep friendships was too much.

While the others never told me anything, they hinted similar at similar ideas.

I'm often told by others (family, psychologist, etc.) I trust people too easily and I'm "too selfless". None of this makes sense to me. My friends are my friends, and we're supposed to help each other out, not just use each other when it's convenient.

If you noted in the title, the friends are all female and I'm male. I always seemed to attract lady friends more as some have stated that I'm more emotional than the average person. I don't know if it's an insult.

Despite my efforts, I'm really starting to feel like a failure at friendships.

---

tl;dr: Friends are ghosting me suddenly because offering too much support is apparently scary.