Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah I'm not looking to spend too much so I may just buy a $45 12v inflator and deal with running my car while I fill the tires because it beats having to drive to the gas station and use their air.

While I'm on the car subject though any recommendations for a Bluetooth ODB reader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you're on Android I've had one of these for years, can't complain.

iOS doesn't allow the bluetooth stack to be used for data or serial connections so you'll need a WiFi adapter instead.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've got the same one, works great.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

How about a Bluetooth speaker? I only need a small one, nothing fancy. Doesn't have to blow me away with sound quality, I just want to sound mostly fine and play it quietly in my room at work.

I would just wing it on something this simple, but I got a cheap iHome speaker at Best Buy and it worked great except it would randomly jack up the volume to ULTRA LOUD a couple of times a day which is not ideal in the workplace. I'm not ruling out that it was my phone being the rear end in a top hat and not the speaker itself, but the speaker is cheaper to replace than the phone so I'm starting there.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can anyone recommend a small business that makes funny boxed holiday cards? Old Tom Foolery was my go-to but since they became the Mincing Mockingbird they haven't produced anything new and we've sent all the ones that they have on their site.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Julet Esqu posted:

How about a Bluetooth speaker? I only need a small one, nothing fancy. Doesn't have to blow me away with sound quality, I just want to sound mostly fine and play it quietly in my room at work.

I bought an Amazon basics unit a few years ago (they don't sell the specific one I have anymore) and haven't had a single complaint about it. Sound quality isn't mindblowing but it has good volume and bass output plus outstanding battery life for a $25 speaker. Based on my experience with it I wouldn't hesitate to buy their current offering.

Anker also makes a decent one for about the same price.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Nov 23, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

I got a JLab Crasher Slim a while back when I found a great deal on one at Brickseek. It's a really, really good speaker! Just please do ignore the late 90s EXTREME REBEL ad copy on their website, good grief

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Viair makes excellent 12v compressors that can actually run for long enough to fill a tire. They're the gold standard, though about $50 for their cheapest ones.

For bluetooth speakers, just about anything. Anker and Amazon Basics both have good models - I personally like my Soundcore 2.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Trying to Panama in March and I'm going to need 2 suitcases. Can someone recommend good luggage brand?

Also, if anyone has any recommend backpacks I'll appreciate it

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Digital Jedi posted:

Trying to Panama in March and I'm going to need 2 suitcases. Can someone recommend good luggage brand?

I really like Osprey’s porter/farpoint series for backpacks. Get the porter 48 (I think, it may be 42) and it fits perfectly in the overhead going straight in. The farpoint 80 is pretty great if you want to put a suitcase worth of clothes on your back.

Also, I highly recommen Travelpro for suitcases. If you are getting wheelies, make sure to get the one a with 4 rotating wheels and not just the two static wheels.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Any recommendations on electric standing desks? I’m going to build my own tabletop, so I only need a frame. The Uplift model seems to be well-regarded, but if I could get a more affordable, comparable one then that would be even better. Amazon has a bunch that look like they’d fit the bill, but I’m weary of relying on their reviews.

Also, I’m only somewhat interested in a standing desk, if anyone has suggestions for affordable desk legs, I’d be interested to hear those. I can build a tabletop no problem, but building legs is outside of my tool set right now and I don’t have room to store a bunch of equipment that I’m only going to use for this project. They’d have to be cheaper than a standing desk frame, because the whole adjustable thing would be a nice bonus.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Install the reviewmeta extension for your flavor of browser to see how many Amazon reviews are doctored or paid. Helps a lot with stuff like that.

Also, Ikea has an electric desk leg option, but I can't recall the name right now

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I use one of Red Oxx's backpacks and laptop bags as my carry ons for the last few years and they've held up really well. The only wear they show is where they've managed to find dust in an overhead bin. And that's with three years of travel with 36 trips or so per year.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Julet Esqu posted:

I would just wing it on something this simple, but I got a cheap iHome speaker at Best Buy and it worked great except it would randomly jack up the volume to ULTRA LOUD a couple of times a day which is not ideal in the workplace. I'm not ruling out that it was my phone being the rear end in a top hat and not the speaker itself, but the speaker is cheaper to replace than the phone so I'm starting there.

I have a VAVA VOOM.
It's pretty nice quality, it's waterproof and can get loud if you really want.

I need to charge mine about ever 1-2 months.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thomamelas posted:

I use one of Red Oxx's backpacks and laptop bags as my carry ons for the last few years and they've held up really well. The only wear they show is where they've managed to find dust in an overhead bin. And that's with three years of travel with 36 trips or so per year.

I don't travel nearly as often, but seconded: RedOxx stuff is beastly. Pricey (for soft luggage) but seemingly indestructible.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for silk pillow case recommendations. Wife has been hinting at her desire for one so figure it would be an easy Christmas present grab, no idea where to start though. King size with many color options is a bonus.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have recommendations for a good portable jumpstarter to carry around in my trunk?

I was going to go with the wirecutter recommended one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSAXF03?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=edtestzz23254&th=1 , but it seems like it doesn't actually start completely dead batteries/work with keyless ignition according to the Amazon reviews.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I got this one but I have not tried to jumpstart a car yet. It seems to be build solidly but no real review from me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGRN4TF/

Aside: if a lead acid battery is totally completely dead, it is probably better to disconnect it and just use the jumpstarter so you don't waste all the power trying to charge the battery from 0 to 1%.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

couldcareless posted:

Looking for silk pillow case recommendations. Wife has been hinting at her desire for one so figure it would be an easy Christmas present grab, no idea where to start though. King size with many color options is a bonus.

Alaska Bear

They are not cheap.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

This question makes me feel old, but I've been looking for an umbrella stand to put next to my door. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that's pretty classic looking and at least 22 inches tall?

Now where are my Werthers? :corsair:

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Dec 9, 2019

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Not sure if there's a pen thread but I've been wanting a nice (ish) pen and in doing some research I've found the Machine Era Markup that looks really good to me. Taking the Pilot G2 refills is a must for me as that's all I've written with for the past...decade or so and they're pretty inexpensive. My only concern is that the Machine Era looks pretty short compared to even the regular Pilot G2 and other machined pens (like the Everyman Grafton). I thought there was a pretty decent chance someone here has used the Machine Era or can otherwise recommend a solid feeling pen that takes the G2 refills.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Humerus posted:

Not sure if there's a pen thread but I've been wanting a nice (ish) pen and in doing some research I've found the Machine Era Markup that looks really good to me. Taking the Pilot G2 refills is a must for me as that's all I've written with for the past...decade or so and they're pretty inexpensive. My only concern is that the Machine Era looks pretty short compared to even the regular Pilot G2 and other machined pens (like the Everyman Grafton). I thought there was a pretty decent chance someone here has used the Machine Era or can otherwise recommend a solid feeling pen that takes the G2 refills.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

There are legit reasons to use a fountain pen, but it feels a bit like an affectation like smoking a pipe or wearing a fedora.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

There are legit reasons to use a fountain pen, but it feels a bit like an affectation like smoking a pipe or wearing a fedora.

Sorry that you seem to never have encountered people that like things that you don't like.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I used to carry a pocket watch. Just because I liked it, doesn't mean that other people didn't see it as an affectation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The fountain pen thread will also talk about other kinda of pens. And they write super smooth, it's not completely an affectation.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Humerus posted:

For whatever it’s worth I have a machine era wallet, pen, and magnetic key holder and they are all loving amazing. My wallet may be my favorite thing I own.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

We need a new refrigerator. I have never bought and know nothing about refrigerators. I know only what my wife wants in a refrigerator.

Where do I learn about refrigerators? How should I determine which refrigerator to buy? Is there, like, a thread about refrigerators?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-refrigerator/

https://thewirecutter.com/guides/buying-a-refrigerator/

That should at least be a jumping off point to get you started

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Thanks! :glomp:

Any brand recs from anyone that's bought a new fridge lately?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need grippy, light waterproof boots, hopefully less than $100.

I got some leather steel toe ones and they are so goddamn heavy I want to die.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Alright you winter veterans, I'm about to experience my first snowy winter, of many to come. What are your best cold-weather gear and wintertime purchase recommendations (other than clothing)? I've got good coats and jackets, long underwear, beanies, scarves, and light gloves, but I need heavier gloves for dealing with snow, good pants, etc.

For reference, I'm coming from sunny, coastal California.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Van Dis posted:

Alright you winter veterans, I'm about to experience my first snowy winter, of many to come. What are your best cold-weather gear and wintertime purchase recommendations (other than clothing)? I've got good coats and jackets, long underwear, beanies, scarves, and light gloves, but I need heavier gloves for dealing with snow, good pants, etc.

Don’t start with gloves. Start with mittens. Or at the very least, get those convertible glove/mittens

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/men-s-hot-paws-fleece-flip-mitts-assorted-0821776p.html#srp

They don’t have to be this style or brand, but they’re way handier and keep your fingers warmer.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just wear merino leggings under regular pants.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are any of the iRobot Braava Jet mops on the market now any good? We ALMOST got one for my dad last Christmas, because most of our floors are tile and he has to mop them like all the time, but pretty much everything I read about the models available at the time, of which there were only two, said they were kinda poo poo, so we decided it’d be smarter to hold off on getting one until the technology improved. Now iRobot makes FOUR models, and the reviewers at PCMag.com seem to really like the M6, which Amazon has on sale right now... but the reviews for it are giving me pause.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I need grippy, light waterproof boots, hopefully less than $100.

I got some leather steel toe ones and they are so goddamn heavy I want to die.

Could you elaborate on use case? Daily work boot/shoe or like hiking winter trails?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Van Dis posted:

I know that you mostly are good with clothing. But if you're gonna be out in the cold for a long period of time, and you don't have warm footwear, then you're gonna want to invest in a good pair of warm socks. Because cold feet will literally be the difference between a good time outdoors and a miserable time.

As for specific socks, I don't really have much experience with different brands; but if it has an almost "fuzzy" internal texture it's gonna be good for you.

Otherwise, in general you're gonna get what you pay for in winter wear. Cheap Walmart snow pants are gonna be worse than more expensive ones. It's not always necessarily true, but give stuff a try and try to get thick clothing to keep warm. If you want underwear and shirts that are especially warm, Uniqlo's Heattech brand is one of the more effective thermal clothing that I've seen.

Also, as an aside, I'd say that unless you're doing a lot of stuff outdoors you can generally avoid wearing snow pants since your legs get used to being cold real quickly.

experienceBeej posted:

Don’t start with gloves. Start with mittens. Or at the very least, get those convertible glove/mittens

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/men-s-hot-paws-fleece-flip-mitts-assorted-0821776p.html#srp

They don’t have to be this style or brand, but they’re way handier and keep your fingers warmer.

Agreed, Mittens are gonna be way warmer than gloves. Meanwhile the convertable ones aren't gonna be nearly as warm (because the flap is gonna allow a lot of cold air to escape inside), they can be a little better than regular gloves. And for the love of god the cheap thin gloves are crap when you're dealing with real cold. At best they're okay for keeping your hands from being chilled by the wind, but they're not gonna keep them actually warm.

These are the kind I'm talking about. Likewise if you find any 'texting gloves', they're also crap. At best they are okay for maybe unlocking your phone, but they are too bulky and unwieldy for anything but the largest phones.

If you insist on convertible mittens, Roots has good ones if that's an option in your area. They tend to be warmer than random gloves, and expose your fingers for phone usage. They're kinda expensive, and I haven't tried many other brands to compare, but I like them.

Other tips, gloves/mittens with the branding 'Thinsulate' are a mixed bag. They'll be warmer than equivalent gloves made without them, but a thin glove made with 'Thinsulate' material isn't gonna keep you warmer than a nice thick mitten. A material that I've always heard was good (though I've never used it since they can be expensive) was sheepskin gloves. But like I said I haven't used them so I can't give my personal opinion.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tangy yet delightful posted:

Could you elaborate on use case? Daily work boot/shoe or like hiking winter trails?

Daily boot. I sometimes work in industrial areas but they don't require steeltoe. I just live in Portland and it rains all the time.

I'd love to get a Red Wing set but there's no way I can afford it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Did you move to somewhere with snow and ice on the reg? Winter tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Also if you're going somewhere that gets serious snow and you don't have covered parking get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LDXLA

Because clearing a foot of snow off your car with a hand brush seriously sucks, and a shovel will gently caress up your paint.