Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FuturePastNow posted:

The split must have happened before that- the In a Mirror, Darkly opening credits showed a Terran flag being planted on the moon.
In the mirror universe, do people groan online about how this is "the lightest timeline" when they hear something like "Empress Hoshi decides to make the Ferengi battle thralls and mid-rank slaves instead of sterilizing the Ferenginar biosphere"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

In the mirror universe, do people groan online about how this is "the lightest timeline" when they hear something like "Empress Hoshi decides to make the Ferengi battle thralls and mid-rank slaves instead of sterilizing the Ferenginar biosphere"?
Thanks, Sato.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the mirror universe is 4 dimensionally very nearly congruent to ours hence all the "coincidental" similarities despite the massive differences in character motivations and historical circumstance

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Didn't someone at some point claim that the point of divergence was something stupid early, like the Roman Empire?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Turns out the MU Roman Empire was just slightly hornier than the one in ours.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Turns out the MU Roman Empire was just slightly hornier than the one in ours.

Diddling while Rome burns!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One of those thinking-while-taking-a-shower questions: were the Bajorians/Cardassians/that-whole-interaction invented in TNG so as to set up the backstory for DS9, or was DS9 being developed and they realized they had a side-story there they had set up (and not paid off) in a random TNG episode?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MisterBibs posted:

One of those thinking-while-taking-a-shower questions: were the Bajorians/Cardassians/that-whole-interaction invented in TNG so as to set up the backstory for DS9, or was DS9 being developed and they realized they had a side-story there they had set up (and not paid off) in a random TNG episode?

actually they stole everything from babylon 5

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some early Roman was alien abducted to Romulus which is where all their ideas came from and also made them evil

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MisterBibs posted:

My recollection is that the Bajorans were supposed to be a setup for DS9.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

greek/roman gods are cannon. whichever i did not study classics

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

oh but seriously I posted:

greek/roman gods are cannon. whichever i did not study classics

Who does mourn for Adonais?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
https://www.kingstonist.com/culture/star-trek-discovery-season-three-filming-wraps-up-at-kingston-pen/

Apparently they shot some of Season 3 of STD in the old penitentiary in my city, neat! Klingon shrine? Vulcan shrine? Who knows.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mission Hill loses at least 1 joke on DVD because they replaced all the actual music with generic muzak

JUUUDAASS PRRIIIEEESSST

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kesper North posted:

Who does mourn for Adonais?

Plato's stepchildren.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Early Christmas gift.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zesty posted:

Early Christmas gift.

Bitchin'!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Early Christmas gift.

Right on

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

From the IDW Voyager one-shot comic, Mirrors and Smoke.

Yeah, everything has to be opposite in the Mirror Universe.

Yeah, Janeway still crazed as a loon, instead of trying to get back to Earth, she decides to become the Pirate Queen of the Delta Quadrant.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, Janeway still crazed as a loon, instead of trying to get back to Earth, she decides to become the Pirate Queen of the Delta Quadrant.

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with what happened with Voyager after season 1 but didn't Janeway already sort of become a chaotic pirate queen of the Delta in prime timeline over wanting coffee; versus mirror timeline where she became an orderly pirate queen of the Delta strictly because she set out to do so?

Also am I to gather from that image in mirror universe the Borg are like the hippy weird cult that occupies the highway department's land next to the freeway to setup a commune celebrating eight tracks and vinyl?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 20, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Powered Descent posted:

Plato's stepchildren.

:golfclap: And the children shall lead us.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Fabulousity posted:

Also am I to gather from that image in mirror universe the Borg are like the hippy weird cult that occupies the highway department's land next to the freeway to setup a commune celebrating eight tracks and vinyl?

Nope, it's implied they're still the same as they are in the regular universe, as they still brutally assimilated Seven of Nine's parents.

Janeway just has bad intelligence in the mirror universe.

Also in this universe there's still a (groan) Neelix and Kes, but Neelix travels in his own ship while stalking Janeway as her best stan / frenemy, and Kes still has some of her godlike powers.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 20, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with what happened with Voyager after season 1 but didn't Janeway already sort of become a chaotic pirate queen of the Delta in prime timeline over wanting coffee; versus mirror timeline where she became an orderly pirate queen of the Delta strictly because she set out to do so?

I think the idea is that due to accepting the implicit structural and philosophical claims of totalitarian/fascist/militarist types everybody constantly fighting hard and power-leveling, the Borg are much less threatening to the mirror universe.

Honestly I think the mirror universe would have a worse time with the Borg.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think the idea is that due to accepting the implicit structural and philosophical claims of totalitarian/fascist/militarist types everybody constantly fighting hard and power-leveling, the Borg are much less threatening to the mirror universe.

Honestly I think the mirror universe would have a worse time with the Borg.

Which is kind of weird because DS9 implies that the prime universe is more technologically advanced than the mirror universe since they kidnapped Sisko to build a Defiant for them, and the Klingon/Cardassian alliance were unfamiliar with quantum torpedoes. But then again I'm not sure how the MU Voyager comic fits in with DS9 because it implies that the Terran Empire had their poo poo kicked in by then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Which is kind of weird because DS9 implies that the prime universe is more technologically advanced than the mirror universe since they kidnapped Sisko to build a Defiant for them, and the Klingon/Cardassian alliance were unfamiliar with quantum torpedoes. But then again I'm not sure how the MU Voyager comic fits in with DS9 because it implies that the Terran Empire had their poo poo kicked in by then.

DS9 also has them steal a cloaking device from the prime universe implying the mirror Klingons don't have them despite Klingon ships decloaking in an earlier mirror universe episode.

I think it makes sense to assume we don't actually see the same Mirror Universe every time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I don’t think any of those comics fit with the regular MU since as you said, there’s no Terran Empire left

So the TNG one or the Voyager one are just another alternate I assume

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This Timelines game is hilarious.

For this away team, I'm going to use normal Sisko, Sisko in a dress, and Augment Riker which is apparently a thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sash! posted:

This Timelines game is hilarious.

For this away team, I'm going to use normal Sisko, Sisko in a dress, and Augment Riker which is apparently a thing.

There are several Timelines-original characters, Augment Riker being one of them (also the previously mentioned Army Chaplain Odo, Mirror Janeway and Prince Bashir)

also re: Sisko you ain't seen nothing yet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao Conflicted Sisko.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Captain Sisko bout to read some power levels

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The silliness and inconsistency of the mirror universe episodes becomes easier to accept if you just look at it from the perspective of the multiverse theory. Every possible outcome exists, we're just seeing the one that lets the writers have as much fun with the characters and actors as possible and I don't begrudge them that.

With the multiverse theory, all of these incursions into the mirror universe don't even have to BE the same universe, just close enough, so some loose continuity and tone is fine.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Binary Badger posted:

It's terribly boring that they just gave Janeway the same torn-off sleeves look as Picard. You could so much more interesting things with evil Janeway.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pick posted:

Lmao Conflicted Sisko.

He can live with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

It's terribly boring that they just gave Janeway the same torn-off sleeves look as Picard. You could so much more interesting things with evil Janeway.

I'm not convinced they didn't just paste her head on his body lmao

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQg3NG861k

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Who is the guy at 0:18?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

davidspackage posted:

The only other options to distinguish someone as from the mirror universe are goatee or big fancy collar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Duckula posted:

Who is the guy at 0:18?

I thought it was a bearded Q on first watch, but no. No clue.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

The implication is that because they are SUPER TOUGH and KILL PEOPLE A BUNCH and DON'T WEAR SLEEVES, they're going to have sufficient martial virtue and PVP ranks to overcome a military environment dominated by agile starships fighting at warp speed, and a standard ground weapon that shoots a ray capable of turning boulders to magma.

They probably would be very effective bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pick posted:

Lmao Conflicted Sisko.

and all it cost was one mana, one creature, and the self-respect of a Starfleet officer