Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Colonel Whitey posted:

So they wrote a Watchmen story with the message of “wow, isn’t Superman great?” That is some wild poo poo

The idea that it's OK for superheroes to be good and inspiring people and not not wallow in grimdark edginess to affect depth and maturity is about as contradictory and relevatory to comic books now as the idea of superheroes having blood and swears and sexual inadequacy was in 1985 so it's a great fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
No, we need more stories about A. Superman being punched really hard, or B. Superman struggling with being unable to punch something hard enough.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Bedshaped posted:

No, we need more stories about A. Superman being punched really hard, or B. Superman struggling with being unable to punch something hard enough.

Good Superman stories present a problem that cannot be solved by punching.

Good Dr Manhattan stories present a problem that cannot be solved by matter rearranging.

Good Ozymandias stories present a problem that CAN be solved by teleporting squid.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010
Ignoring the debate about Dr. M, Angela, Trieu, and other characters with breakneck plot development in the last few episodes...

Can we agree that most of the scenes with Veidt were incredible? There were so many weird directions that it could have gone.

I think I saw multiple theories after episodes 1 and 2:
- He's on Mars
- He's dead
- He's in some simulation
- He's in a simulation while frozen inside the statue
- He's made a new dome or terrarium on Antarctica
- He's at the Days Inn in Akron, OH and just having a nightmare

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Sleeveless posted:

The idea that it's OK for superheroes to be good and inspiring people and not not wallow in grimdark edginess to affect depth and maturity is about as contradictory and relevatory to comic books now as the idea of superheroes having blood and swears and sexual inadequacy was in 1985 so it's a great fit.

Not really

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

cowbeef posted:

Ignoring the debate about Dr. M, Angela, Trieu, and other characters with breakneck plot development in the last few episodes...

Can we agree that most of the scenes with Veidt were incredible? There were so many weird directions that it could have gone.

I think I saw multiple theories after episodes 1 and 2:
- He's on Mars
- He's dead
- He's in some simulation
- He's in a simulation while frozen inside the statue
- He's made a new dome or terrarium on Antarctica
- He's at the Days Inn in Akron, OH and just having a nightmare

I also enjoyed the speculation of how and why he got there combined with who sent him. The final reveal that it was basically a joke from Doctor Manhattan was :discourse:.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

My major complaint about the Veidt stuff is there's no real good reason for why it took three(four?) episodes for them to confirm that, yes, that is Veidt.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

you're thinking of Neil Gaiman lmao

hes not

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

duck trucker posted:

My major complaint about the Veidt stuff is there's no real good reason for why it took three(four?) episodes for them to confirm that, yes, that is Veidt.

To me it felt like they let it happen organically and have him deliver it in away that telegraphed his narcissism in relation to the Game Warden. I dont think it was ever meant to be a mystery. His name drops specifically in a letter to his "adversary" for a reason.

I guess one of the clones could have said it but they are specifically supposed to call him "Master" so it wouldnt really work.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
As you know, Master, you are Adrian Veidt, also known as the costumed vigilante Ozymandias.

Nah. For people unfamiliar with the backstory, it was a slow reveal. For people familiar with the backstory, it's another reason Veidt hates the place: because all of the people there don't give a gently caress about who he is. He's not their Master because they acknowledge his genius and obvious superiority. He's their master because he's physically present, and they're built to venerate. And for him, it's hell.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Preem Palver posted:

So is everyone just going to ignore how they said the Tulsa Massacre was actually a Cyclops plot? I was down for weird mesmerism stuff but gently caress them for turning real historical events into lovely comic book conspiracy stuff.

You mean like the JFK assassination and Vietnam War?

Why is this thread suddenly filled with miserable people who can't enjoy a good show...

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
it realize it's been a long 6 days for you here on SA but it is normal and actually good for people to post criticisms about shows. and doing so doesn't make someone a miserable person

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Harlock posted:

Vaporizing like 15 racist white people does not solve the systemic problem of racism and the institutions that support it. It's just hand waving it away for someone else to solve

But that was Will's personal battle. He had spent most of his life battling Cyclops. It was his war -- not to solve racism overnight. It's like you completely forgot the HJ episode or are choosing to ignore it.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Thom and the Heads posted:

it realize it's been a long 6 days for you here on SA but it is normal and actually good for people to post criticisms about shows. and doing so doesn't make someone a miserable person

lmao

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Did Trieu ever do anything actually bad in the show or were we just supposed to take Veidts word that she was a total narcissist that would've sucked if she had crazy powers? I was kind of rooting for her at the end.

I loved The Leftovers and liked Prometheus (never seen Lost) so I was expecting a little more from Lindelof I guess but I thought this was a pretty forgettable show.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

punch drunk posted:

Did Trieu ever do anything actually bad in the show or were we just supposed to take Veidts word that she was a total narcissist that would've sucked if she had crazy powers? I was kind of rooting for her at the end.

I loved The Leftovers and liked Prometheus (never seen Lost) so I was expecting a little more from Lindelof I guess but I thought this was a pretty forgettable show.

Bad for Trieu is going to be subjective on your thoughts on cloning, storing memories in pills, manipulating a family to sign over their family farm, and in general, being a trillionaire. Someone who is so self-obsessed that their life goal is to become Dr. Manhattan is not someone who is likely to be good once they have those powers, unless you're someone who believes in benevolent dictators.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Trieu wants to remake the world as she sees fit with no input from anyone else, I don’t see how that could possibly be viewed as a good thing even if she may do some good things as part of it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Trieu wants to remake the world as she sees fit with no input from anyone else, I don’t see how that could possibly be viewed as a good thing even if she may do some good things as part of it

cuz people are brainwashed to think thats cool and good

another con against triue - she is a trillionaire and didnt redistribute the wealth. instead she used it to try to turn herself into a god

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I guess I'm just not conflating it with the real world. As it stands you have Veidt whos just raining squids on cities around the world to keep some type of order and even then theres a good deal of bad poo poo going down.

It never showed her doing real "good" and giving all her money away but I took her asking Veidt for money as someone who is putting pretty much all she has in to developing poo poo. It seems like she developed some pretty clean power sources that have been widely distributed. And maybe I'm remembering wrong but she did express what seemed to be sincere regret for developing the memory pills. I'm all for guillotining Bezos Musk et al. but in this show the world seems pretty wacked out anyway and Trieu doesn't seem that terrible of an option

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Remember when they chucked a puppy into the incinerator? Good times.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was Looking Glass's ex, who is evil for hurting Looking Glass

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I meant it unironically. That was a good bit of worldbuilding.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

vox is neolib succ trash but sometimes they make good posts

this first one has a real joe keene jr "its hard being a white guy in this country" vibe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVQomlXMeek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ItsPBTFO0

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

"no defeating white supremacy, its never going anywhere"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumlyetXEmk

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Did anyone catch what Veidt says to the Warden as being a clear Batman vs Superman reference? Both Watchmen Film and BVS were directed by Snyder.

He asks why Veidt made him wear the mask. Veidt answers, because Masks make men cruel. That's really on the nose to Batman vs Superman's "The fever..The rage..The feeling of powerlessness..It turns good men...cruel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKTjVZfpsA

Jesus christ. It's Jeremy Irons delivering the exact same line in the loving.

Read also into that the Warden asking if he was a good enough, and Veidt says no, but he put on a good show.

Could that be a passing slight at the Watchmen movie as not being good, but putting on a good show?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
If there's a season 2 I hope it's the ultimate superhero story: Doctor Manhattan vs Dolemite

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

KoRMaK posted:

neolib succ trash

Can you explain what this means to anyone who isn't part of your stupid internet subforum club

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Can you explain what this means to anyone who isn't part of your stupid internet subforum club
you should know, you're already postin in it!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If you earnestly want to know, first let's start with neolib - do you know what that means? cuz it's really the lynchpin and fundamental to understanding the phrase

If you want a good example, watch their Netflix series' episode about diamonds, and note the way they look at the da beers cartel and go "guess there's two equal sides to this argument ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 20, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sleeveless posted:

Sleeveless posted:

It really doesn't, there's just a lot of fragile people who are terrified of the concept of the death and the super wealthy are willing to bankroll crackpot "futurists" to massage their ego by assuring them that Atheist Rapture is right around the corner just so long as you keep spending money on their "research" and saying ten Cyber Hail Marys at every press release.
Nice try.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

riseofmydick posted:

Could that be a passing slight at the Watchmen movie as not being good, but putting on a good show?

Lindelof says he has a lot of respect for what Snyder did with that movie, and it bothers him that people interpret things in the show as insults against it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Two of the greatest and most iconic Superman stories of all time, both involving “he is a very good man who always does the right thing”, were written by one A. Moore of Northampton, England.

But one of those comics was about how Superman did the wrong thing and then stopped being Superman.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 20, 2019

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

riseofmydick posted:

Would be a weird dig since Watchmen TV series isn't good in either of those two ways

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Bad for Trieu is going to be subjective on your thoughts on cloning, storing memories in pills, manipulating a family to sign over their family farm, and in general, being a trillionaire. Someone who is so self-obsessed that their life goal is to become Dr. Manhattan is not someone who is likely to be good once they have those powers, unless you're someone who believes in benevolent dictators.

Her ideas seemed good and I think it is better that she had the powers than anyone else in the show.

Also I think her strategy of fixing the worlds problems by being Dr Manhattan is better than just donating money and hoping that works for awhile.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Being god better than just "donating money'

Why would your plan stop at just donting money? That's the bottom of that barrel way to use that much wealth

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I understand not liking this show but it was better than any Marvel movie or GOT or west world. Not a high bar but still worth watching if only for the music and acting.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It'll be hard not to recommend this show but the last two episodes make a hell of an argument

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I mean, the family got the child they wanted and 5 million dollars (I forget, might have been 4). They didn't give a gently caress about the farm at that point, not comparatively. They only rebuffed the offer at first because they thought the baby might be bullshit and she didn't mention the millions of dollars part.

The scene of the wife sitting outside and nobody coming to buy eggs all day was supposed to show the farm really isn't worth all that much.

Not saying she's good but that part wasn't bad.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, the family got the child they wanted and 5 million dollars (I forget, might have been 4). They didn't give a gently caress about the farm at that point, not comparatively. They only rebuffed the offer at first because they thought the baby might be bullshit and she didn't mention the millions of dollars part.

The scene of the wife sitting outside and nobody coming to buy eggs all day was supposed to show the farm really isn't worth all that much.

Not saying she's good but that part wasn't bad.

You do realize that the only reason she made the insanely ridiculously unbelievable offer of Impossibaby + Five Megadollars was that she'd own the land that the Ozzy Egg landed on, right? She knew it was coming, and they didn't. The clone and the money are not even a drop in the bucket of her resources.

It was pretty much the opposite of altruism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

tarlibone posted:

You do realize that the only reason she made the insanely ridiculously unbelievable offer of Impossibaby + Five Megadollars was that she'd own the land that the Ozzy Egg landed on, right? She knew it was coming, and they didn't. The clone and the money are not even a drop in the bucket of her resources.

It was pretty much the opposite of altruism.

I mean she probably owns it anyway, seeing as she owned the ship and could presumably prove it, so I see the whole thing as pointless.