Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Nessus posted:

Could this person have been a collector? Does stuff like that ever get proposed as an explanation for weird one-offs like that?

Tesla Cola already mentioned it, but the diversity is typical for the region. When I was comparing it to assemblages from surface surveys and excavation in the area to get a rough date for the site (the latest occupation at least) it didn't really stand out from any other site, regardless of their temporal horizon. It seems once sedentary ceramic using Puebloan populations are in the area, they maintain a diverse array of social connections and diverse local technologies that result in a diversity of ceramics that is fairly unique in the entire region, outside the largest, longest lasting settlements. But in the Puerco even the tiny sites have Pueblo Grande and Chaco Canyon-like diversity.

The area is sort of a cultural cross roads, sitting right between numerous different technological and artistic traditions and probably astride trade routes from the areas to the west and the Chaco Regional System to the east. Survey and excavation aren't great, but it seems population gets fairly high around CE 1050-1100, with farmsteads like the one I found hiking all over the place, sometimes just a km or so apart, usually clustered around a community center of some sort, either a Great House or a "Good House" or Great Kiva. It changes a bit from CE 1100-1400 or so, people drop farmsteads for aggregated villages and population may go down a bit, but the social connections are still pretty diverse. Not much evidence for warfare at any site, though there seems to be unrest to the north and east, a few days walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

underage at the vape shop posted:

They did, they hung stuff up in their houses and it became a permanent part of the decor, even if you sold the property

Even in modern times, a lot of things hung on the wall can become fixtures that stay with the house through sale.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When was homosexuality illegalized in the Eastern Roman Empire?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baron Porkface posted:

When was homosexuality illegalized in the Eastern Roman Empire?

To quote the Paradox Grand Strategy thread title: "Their position worsened after Christianity arrived."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My understanding is homosexuality being literally illegal is a modern phenomenon, but I can't say this is an area of history I know well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Theodosian Code 9.7.3 says that if a man takes it up the rear end he should be subject to “exquisitis poenis”. That’s mid 4th century. i don’t think it forbids actively buggering others yet though.

But even if it did we should be cautious about considering it to make homosexuality illegal since “homosexuality” is not a concept that would have been entirely familiar to Romans or Christians of late antiquity, etc etc

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 19, 2019

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

what's this about being subject to an exquisite penis

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

skasion posted:

Theodosian Code 9.7.3 says that if a man takes it up the rear end he should be subject to “exquisitis poenis”. That’s mid 4th century. i don’t think it forbids actively buggering others yet though.

But even if it did we should be cautious about considering it to make homosexuality illegal since “homosexuality” is not a concept that would have been entirely familiar to Romans or Christians of late antiquity, etc etc

Right, but there's a distinction between buttsex laws, sodomy, and homosexuality. I don't think being gay was illegal anywhere until much more recently. Also sodomy was a near-impossible charge to prove and rarely applied.

This is all half remembered medieval history stuff though, so full caveats.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
hello, yes, I would like one order of "exquisite penis" please, thank you

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grand Fromage posted:

My understanding is homosexuality being literally illegal is a modern phenomenon, but I can't say this is an area of history I know well.

By Justinian's Corpus Iuris Civilis you have male-male sex being made illegal without regard to active or passive partners, on pain of the "just wrath of God" (and the state), so by the 6th century it seems close enough.

Grand Fromage posted:

Right, but there's a distinction between buttsex laws, sodomy, and homosexuality. I don't think being gay was illegal anywhere until much more recently.

I mean, even in the United States pre-Lawrence v. Texas, "the state of being sexually attracted to a same sex individual" was not criminalized, only "certain sexual acts between same-sex individuals." So that seems like a pointless distinction here, unless you're saying it was perfectly ok to be a homosexual in the United States in like 1970.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 19, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

what's this about being subject to an exquisite penis

Exquisitis Poenis, clearly the boyfriend of Biggus Dickus

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ulmont posted:

By Justinian's Corpus Iuris Civilis you have male-male sex being made illegal without regard to active or passive partners, on pain of the "just wrath of God" (and the state), so by the 6th century it seems close enough.

I mean, even in the United States pre-Lawrence v. Texas, "the state of being sexually attracted to a same sex individual" was not criminalized, only "certain sexual acts between same-sex individuals." So that seems like a pointless distinction here, unless you're saying it was perfectly ok to be a homosexual in the United States in like 1970.

Okay. As I said, not an area I know well.

Were there legal distinctions between male-male and female-female?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Are there any Roman laws about female homosexual behavior at all? I don’t think that was considered very significant stuff in antiquity. The New Testament barely mentions it at all, early Christian moralists tend to only touch on it in the context of the general sexual immorality of women.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Are there any Roman laws about female homosexual behavior at all? I don’t think that was considered very significant stuff in antiquity. The New Testament barely mentions it at all, early Christian moralists tend to only touch on it in the context of the general sexual immorality of women.

I think a lot of ancient people didn't even conceive of it as sex if there wasn't at least one penis involved.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Lesbians in Joseon Korea were subject to punishment, whereas to my knowledge gay men weren't. 100 strikes with a cudgel, which was the third most severe form of punishment they had, after execution and exile. One crown princess' lover was even executed for it, although that might have been more due to adultery.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 20, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Somewhere way back in this thread I posted a piece I found about a late medieval or early modern lesbian in France (Germany?) who we only know about because she was eventually embroiled in court proceedings caused by her breaking into a house through a window at night to rape someone. Gonna see if I can find it again. But anyway the impression I get with a lot of this stuff is that it only became a problem when there was some other kind of criminal allegation involved

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, in Joseon too, despite the outwardly severe punishment I think it was mostly permissible as long as the authorities weren't being spiteful. It gets mentioned a couple of times in court histories that lesbian sexual relations were practically ubiquitous among court women, but since they were forbidden from marriage and the only men allowed in the inner palace were the royal family and eunuchs, they were given some leeway in other matters (so their spirits wouldn't come back to torment the royal family because of how much they'd had to suffer in life, which was a thing the court was genuinely concerned about).

The Lone Badger posted:

I think a lot of ancient people didn't even conceive of it as sex if there wasn't at least one penis involved.

In Joseon, lesbian sex was "a sharing of energy."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh riight, I remember some of that from "why did I even take this" classes in college. Chinese sex mysticism was all about managing your sexual energy in a healthy way. According to their yin-yang concept you would swap energy (which of course was bad for the man, because you didn't want to lose your male energy) but for two women there would be no net change.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The essay I quoted this from is a dead link now but

quote:

Moving into the 15th century, we start finding records of legal actions against women for lesbian practices and other associated social crimes. Despite the clear social opprobrium, the amount of data of this type is far less than that for corresponding male transgressions. Those who have combed the legal records have found not more than a dozen examples from the 15th century -- none earlier: 7 women in Bruges in the 1480s, 2 women charged in Rottweil in 1444, and two cases that are interesting in their detail. [Bennett 2000, Boone 1996, Puff 1997]

In 1405, a law case was brought concerning a 16-year-old married woman named Laurence and another married woman named Jehanne. According to Laurence’s testimony, while they were out walking together Jehanne promised Laurence “If you will be my sweetheart, I will do you much good” and on agreeing because she “thought there was nothing evil in it”, Jeheanne laid her down in a haystack and “climbed on her as a man does on a woman … and began to move her hips and do as a man does to a woman.” The encounter was enjoyable enough for both of them that they met several more times for physical relations, but their eventual break-up was problematic enough to come to the attention of the authorities. [Bennett 2000, Benkov 2001, Murray 1996]

However for sheer soap-opera fascination, there’s the trial of Katherina Hetzeldorfer in 1477 in Speier. Katherina was passing, at least nominally, as a man and had arrived in town with a female companion, initially presented as her “sister” but with whom she eventually confessed to a sexual relationship. Although there were some suspicions regarding this relationship, what brought Katherina to the attention of the law was a serious of sexually aggressive adventures, including offering women money for sex and entering women’s houses at night for the purpose of sexual assault. The trial focused on her transgression of gender boundaries in her appearance, but the testimony includes extensive evidence of her sexual behavior. Some aspects of the testimony must be suspect as her partners must have felt the need to present themselves as victims of a gender hoax rather than as willing participants. Katherina’s original companion testified that Katherina had “deflowered her and had made love to her during two years.” Another woman asserted that Katherina had “grabbed her just like a man” … “with hugging and kissing she behaved exactly like a man with women.” And the most detailed testimony concerned how Katherina used an artificial penis both as gender disguise and as a sexual aid. “She made an instrument with a red piece of leather, at the front filled with cotton, and a wooden stick stuck into it, and made a hole through the wooden stick, put a string through, and tied it round; and therewith she had her roguery with the two women….” Katherina’s repertoire also included manual stimulation, with one partner describing, “she did it at first with one finger, thereafter with two, and then with three, and at last with the piece of wood that she held between her legs as she confessed before.” [Crompton 1980, Puff 2000]

Katherina was subsequently judicially drowned (in the Rhine).

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I often remember that essay and lol at it to myself (sorry Katherina), especially the ex-lesbian lovers suing each other part.

I suspect the relative paucity of pre-modern commentary on lesbianism has to do mostly with it not involving men, so the male authors which dominate the historical record and wrote most of the laws just weren't interested. However I also suspect one reason male-male relationships appear much more often in historical judicial records and commentary is the disproportionate male usage of prostitution. Participating in the sex industry makes these relationships much more public and visible and that has tended to invite moral and legal backlash.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh riight, I remember some of that from "why did I even take this" classes in college. Chinese sex mysticism was all about managing your sexual energy in a healthy way. According to their yin-yang concept you would swap energy (which of course was bad for the man, because you didn't want to lose your male energy) but for two women there would be no net change.

All I remember about that was that they would try to pinch off the urethra to do a retrograde ejaculation. Which sounds unhealthy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
guys, that's probably not a woman, and considering the historical precedent he probably would have been able to live as he chose if he hadn't been a rapist

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

In Joseon, lesbian sex was "a sharing of energy."

"We are merely exchanging energy. If you can think of a simpler way I'd like to hear it."

Arglebargle III posted:

I kind of got the impression from reading extensively about China too that as long as the person did their filial duties and didn't conduct themselves in a shameful way in relation to their homosexual dalliances, it was acceptable. I would imagine there would be a similar mindset with Korea as well but I could be wrong. There aren't a lot of serious repercussions as long as Confucian principles are observed or paid lip service to.

Japan was alternatively kind of the wildcard where you have things like shudo, where there was a mentor/mentee homosexual relationship similar to Greek paiderastia, but it couldn't be continued beyond or outside of that. Adult males had to be dominant partner and the younger male the submissive partner and it was seen as a symbol of devotion, not love in the traditional sense. There's also debate about how prevalent this practice was too but it seems like it was common.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1207682070656491526

can anyone account for octavian's whereabouts :thunk:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Agrippa was at home with me last night.

Edit: proof

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 20, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

guys, that's probably not a woman, and considering the historical precedent he probably would have been able to live as he chose if he hadn't been a rapist

This is going to be a real productive conversation.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

"We are merely exchanging energy. If you can think of a simpler way I'd like to hear it."

I kind of got the impression from reading extensively about China too that as long as the person did their filial duties and didn't conduct themselves in a shameful way in relation to their homosexual dalliances, it was acceptable. I would imagine there would be a similar mindset with Korea as well but I could be wrong. There aren't a lot of serious repercussions as long as Confucian principles are observed or paid lip service to.

Japan was alternatively kind of the wildcard where you have things like shudo, where there was a mentor/mentee homosexual relationship similar to Greek paiderastia, but it couldn't be continued beyond or outside of that. Adult males had to be dominant partner and the younger male the submissive partner and it was seen as a symbol of devotion, not love in the traditional sense. There's also debate about how prevalent this practice was too but it seems like it was common.

in 17th century southern China there was a very similar system practiced to what you described in Japan. The mentor/mentee relationship could be quite formal, I think I remember there was even a little ceremony that the family was invited to. However while these relationships almost always started between a wealthy older man and a teen boy it was not unheard of for them to continue many years into the young man's adulthood. Usually it would stop when he married and started his own household but there wasn't an expectation of a hard fixed end. A lot of the pirate warlords of the era started off as mentees in this system. I wouldn't be surprised if this custom was connected to Japan, since the region had close trade relations with the Japanese and a fair few of the pirates were actually mixed Japanese/Chinese/Ryukyu. There's even a cute little gay rabbit god of homosexual relationships!

HEY GUNS posted:

:downs: when I was writing that post I was really careful not to use the term "homosexual" because I didn't want to imply having gay sex made men gay, but then I completely forgot to be equally cognizant about how I was talking about relations between female sexed individuals. In my defense it is a pain to keep the language straight without offending anyone and also talk about identity in periods where "gay" isn't even a meaningful concept anyone would recognize. And I don't even know how to begin to deal with subjects like the Albanian sworn virgins, they're obviously very different from modern trans-men but it's hard to say how

I made the mistake of trying to talk about gay Chinese pirates in another thread and instantly offended a bunch of people in every way possible "No I'm not trying to say all historical chinese homosexuals were pedophiles! uh, I mean, basically all Chinese men were pedophiles in this era, even the straight ones. . . N-no I don't mean to insult China! GUYS IT'S NOT THAT I DON'T CARE ABOUT LESBIANS IT'S THAT NONE OF THE PRIMARY SOURCES DID SO I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT THEM!" Anyway clearly I'm very bad at not offending people and that's why I don't talk about queer history outside Ask Tell anymore

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
To be honest westerners struggle to understand their own cultural approaches to queer identities, much less those of other cultures many centuries removed. Those sorts of conversations deserve a level of contextual nuance that the internet is not only poorly suited for, but rejects wholesale.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

:downs: when I was writing that post I was really careful not to use the term "homosexual" because I didn't want to imply having gay sex made men gay, but then I completely forgot to be equally cognizant about how I was talking about relations between female sexed individuals. In my defense it is a pain to keep the language straight without offending anyone and also talk about identity in periods where "gay" isn't even a meaningful concept anyone would recognize. And I don't even know how to begin to deal with subjects like the Albanian sworn virgins, they're obviously very different from modern trans-men but it's hard to say how
nah that's fine, you didn't offend me. thanks for remembering not to use the word gay though, since that's a bugbear of mine when talking about the past or different cultures

and i consider the Albanian guys to be "like me," but i don't know if they'd return the idea because i haven't asked any of them. (definitely the ones who chose that life themselves, probably less the ones who had it chosen for them because their family had no boys who were born male)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 20, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm like a thousand percent sure that discussing how a particular late medieval individual fits into modern gender schemes so bleeding edge that even the people they describe don't agree on them is a fruitless discussion capable only of obfuscating its object.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm like a thousand percent sure that discussing how a particular late medieval individual fits into modern gender schemes so bleeding edge that even the people they describe don't agree on them is a fruitless discussion capable only of obfuscating its object.
My object is to study the history of people who were like me and find out how they lived, because I'm proud of the ones who did well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I kind of got the impression from reading extensively about China too that as long as the person did their filial duties and didn't conduct themselves in a shameful way in relation to their homosexual dalliances, it was acceptable.

This is also my understanding. As long as you produced a son, what you did in your free time was your own business.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The best way to study history is to first tie your whole identity to a subject and then make conclusions.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Now you are just being a dick.

Like poo poo, god forbid non-white people or other minorities get into archaeology or history and become passionate about it because they want to find out what their ancestors or people like them accomplished in a world where they and their history are constantly erased.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 20, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arglebargle III posted:

The best way to study history is to first tie your whole identity to a subject and then make conclusions.
I don't study people like me in the past, I'm a military historian. This is my free time. People with female bodies who lived like men have been around for as long as anyone can tell, why shouldn't they have been? What's strange about me wanting to find out how they lived? What conclusions have I drawn, that you can see from what I write, that you take issue with?

I'm not saying people in late medieval/early modern Europe lived lives we can map onto 21st century woke twitter culture, because they didn't. But their cultures were rich and strange. I know very well we can't say "trans" until about the middle of the 20th century (earlier for germans), that's why I'm not using the word for these people and why I don't use the concepts of sexual or gender "identity" for myself. So what's your point?

edit: the entire reason Squalid and i were talking like robots is we know we can't use the words from our culture to describe different ones

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 20, 2019

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't agree with this sentiment, but I feel that the topic has run its course and anybody who had anything to contribute has already done so.

Speaking of butts, 8" objects, and things running their course and then turning into poo poo, I thought this was pretty cool: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/10/02/lloyds-bank-coprolite/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

So what's your point?

I said this is unproductive. You have clearly stated its personal for you. Things can only go downhill. Why have this conversation?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arglebargle III posted:

I said this is unproductive. You have clearly stated its personal for you. Things can only go downhill. Why have this conversation?
Did the Senate appoint you Imperator or did you just see something encouraging in your liver and onions?

Squalid posted:

I made the mistake of trying to talk about gay Chinese pirates in another thread and instantly offended a bunch of people in every way possible "No I'm not trying to say all historical chinese homosexuals were pedophiles! uh, I mean, basically all Chinese men were pedophiles in this era, even the straight ones. . . N-no I don't mean to insult China! GUYS IT'S NOT THAT I DON'T CARE ABOUT LESBIANS IT'S THAT NONE OF THE PRIMARY SOURCES DID SO I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT THEM!" Anyway clearly I'm very bad at not offending people and that's why I don't talk about queer history outside Ask Tell anymore
Yeah, the historical construction of queer identity is complicated and hard to discuss in public. Not because it's somehow forbidden but because bringing up the historically contingent nature of a lot of details makes people uncomfortable and you can easily say something that, considered in isolation, sounds horrible, because the underlying reality eludes perfect categorization.

So (purely for example) you could say "gay marriage rules but what about gay men who don't want a 1:1 copy of traditional heterosexual monogamy?" and that is easy to parse, especially on the internet, as "you're saying all gay men are sluts" or what-have-you

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 20, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

Did the Senate appoint you Imperator or did you just see something encouraging in your liver and onions?

the senate can't appoint you imperator, you must be hailed imperator by your troops on the field!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there any ancient history world map project? I spend way too much time on google maps looking at ancient city sites and trying to imagine what they may have looked like on the local geography. I think it would be neat if someone just made very basic outlines of say ancient Athens or Carthage and comparing that to the surrounding area.