Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Improbable Lobster posted:

This coward won't death from above

Can your pilots die from legging themselves? I’ve only done it once and they lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Lazyhound posted:

Can your pilots die from legging themselves? I’ve only done it once and they lived.

If you try it with less than a certain amount of leg armor left it should change the name to "death to above".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Randallteal posted:

If you try it with less than a certain amount of leg armor left it should change the name to "death to above".

I did this to intentionally kill off the Hatchetman in that particular flashpoint in the hopes of getting the hatchet as a salvageable item. No dice.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

anakha posted:

I did this to intentionally kill off the Hatchetman in that particular flashpoint in the hopes of getting the hatchet as a salvageable item. No dice.

Did the post-mission text still talk about how successful a test it was and what valuable combat data they got from it? Because lol

Edit: I just did that one in my new career save and the Hatchetman survived but the very first thing that happened is someone blew its axe off, turning it into a pretentious vindicator.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 20, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Did the post-mission text still talk about how successful a test it was and what valuable combat data they got from it? Because lol

Yep.

Mission objectives didn't include having the Hatchetman survive, so gently caress it.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I used to play a couple of months after release, but it was slow as gently caress.
Has that improved? Thinking of getting the DLC, but wont buy if it still is slow

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

vuk83 posted:

I used to play a couple of months after release, but it was slow as gently caress.
Has that improved? Thinking of getting the DLC, but wont buy if it still is slow

If you mean all the wierd pauses between every move/action then yes, and they added a "speed everything up more" option on top of that. Originally that was real bad, yeah.

If you mean FPS then it's OK but still not great, the engine is just meh.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I am also getting back in to this after not having played it since release.

Is there a way to add custom portraits for your character in the campaign? Still can't believe how awful the "character generator" is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flimf posted:

I am also getting back in to this after not having played it since release.

Is there a way to add custom portraits for your character in the campaign? Still can't believe how awful the "character generator" is.

Commander Portrait Loader
If you want to also use custom portraits for your other mechwarriors, then install that and then use the Battletech Save Editor to edit your pilots.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Xarbala posted:

Commander Portrait Loader
If you want to also use custom portraits for your other mechwarriors, then install that and then use the Battletech Save Editor to edit your pilots.

Pretty much this, yes. If you want to add your own portraits, you need to make a 512x512 png of whatever you want to use as your portrait

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks guys!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

(I suspect the game purposely made them more rare because they're both good high-alpha mechs that can own new players.

The stock Grasshopper isn't that special, it's the ability to add a comical number of support weapons and MLs that makes it amazing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sean10mm posted:

The stock Grasshopper isn't that special, it's the ability to add a comical number of support weapons and MLs that makes it amazing.

I'm the galaxy brained designer that thought a lrm 5 in the head was a good idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm the galaxy brained designer that thought a lrm 5 in the head was a good idea

Yeah, SRM2+++ is way better.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jedit posted:

Yeah, SRM2+++ is way better.

An SRM4+++ fits in there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sean10mm posted:

An SRM4+++ fits in there.

I can never recall whether SRM4s are one slot or two.

Every mech should have an SRM4 in the head. It would save money on ejector seats.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Missile Hat is the height of fashion for mechs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I usually have a metal box with an embossed X in it next to my head but sometimes you've got to party down.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The virgin missile hat vs the Chad eye laser

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

sean10mm posted:

If you mean all the wierd pauses between every move/action then yes, and they added a "speed everything up more" option on top of that. Originally that was real bad, yeah.

Honestly, either the engine or something in the game is designed extremely poorly when it comes to optimization. It's not noticeable in vanilla. But the second you step outside of that into the more ambitious mods it becomes apparent why the battles are so small scale compared to the action that can go on in the Battletech setting.

One of the downsides of Roguetech is that now that they've got the ability to drop multiple lances (on top of your employer potentially deciding to send their own troops, vehicles, and mechs if the mission isn't supposed to be a plausible deniability sort of thing.) is that the games limitations can potentially really come into play.

It doesn't always come up, but if you're playing a defend the base mission on a lunar map all the shadows will straight up kill your frame rate. Something about having as many as 25 vehicles, suits, turrets, and battlemechs slugging it out just causes things to chug. Probably because mechs turn on headlights when in the shadowed areas. Which causes adds extra load on top of the already terribly optimized shadows.

Apparently they've got a fix for that in the works. But then if you hate Roguetech that means that other mods probably won't have it available for awhile. Meaning you're stuck avoiding that mission type on that biome. :shrug:

Edit: Also, if you're a lore nerd i'd suggest checking out the Roguetech online conquest map. Apparently a bunch of people have done the Goonswarm equivalent of taking over maybe half the map with one of the weakest factions out there short of the primitive minor factions.

The Tortugan Dominion --- IE: The space pirates that'll straight-facedly do poo poo like make a unique legendary tier mech that abuses the IFF system to have the name of A55-HAT have straight up conquered multiple Inner Sphere houses and are literally knocking on Clan space at the moment. They've even completely wiped out the Word of Blake and are starting in on the Comguard at Terra. Which not only pre-empts the Word of Blake taking the setting into anime territory (and makes that ominous update video look pretty lame) but has inadvertently set tech for most players back to primitive levels since vast swathes of the galaxy now speak pirate.

Seeing a bunch of duct taped together scrap mechs and jury-rigged super prototypes that are more likely to explode than work when they're fired take over the galaxy is just :allears:.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 20, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am thinking of hopping back in soonish. I got Flashpoint via Humble Monthly already, and the other two are about $25 bundled together during the sale. Is that a good price for them?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

The virgin missile hat vs the Chad eye cigar laser

Fixed that for you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've done a bunch of 3-5 skull missions for the friendly local pirates and now they are honored to be buds with me. Rep:92

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Does vertical distance get accounted for with jump jets?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Star Man posted:

I think yes? But in a very minor way. Like a jump to X higher units of elevation cuts 1 space of movement, but that's it.

It's a bit hard to tell, because map areas that have cliffs or very steep slopes also have a lot of spaces you can't land. If anything the bigger penalty is just dealing with awkward terrain. "If I jump over there can I walk next turn?" can sometimes be a tricky question.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Star Man posted:

Yes, it is most obvious in urban battles when you try to jump on top of buildings.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Is there any group that sells gauss ++?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Keltar posted:

Is there any group that sells gauss ++?

I have found them at various black market stores.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yes vertical distances do, and I also don't think it really cares about higher vs lower elevation.

Let me double move and do Mech running long-jumps. Into other mechs.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have found them at various black market stores.

Any others?

I have too many pirate skulls for them to be agreeable.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Keltar posted:

Any others?

I have too many pirate skulls for them to be agreeable.

I've seen them appear at random on Star League systems IIRC, but very rare. The Gauss+ is more common and like half the price.

You can also get one as a flashpoint reward if it says "lostech items."

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Gauss Rifles are sold at Star League planets and ++ ones at (Advanced).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Isn't the Gauss++ identical to the Gauss+ except for taking up 1 less space and costing like twice as much or something?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah + is -1 ton, ++ is -1 ton and -1 crit

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Yeah the Gauss + already had, but those ++ had proven elusive. I had seen them with the pirates but again, 5000% mark up due to me using their skulls as chamber pots.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I still get the little pauses between actions with the speed up everything toggle on. I also have a high end pc (2080, ssd, 32 ram, etc) so I don't think its performance related.

It isn't dreadful, but there is a little pause between firing and seeing a hit reaction on the enemy mechs or between each of my mechs having a turn. It adds up to the game feeling more sluggish than I'd prefer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Archonex posted:

Honestly, either the engine or something in the game is designed extremely poorly when it comes to optimization. It's not noticeable in vanilla. But the second you step outside of that into the more ambitious mods it becomes apparent why the battles are so small scale compared to the action that can go on in the Battletech setting.

One of the downsides of Roguetech is that now that they've got the ability to drop multiple lances (on top of your employer potentially deciding to send their own troops, vehicles, and mechs if the mission isn't supposed to be a plausible deniability sort of thing.) is that the games limitations can potentially really come into play.

It doesn't always come up, but if you're playing a defend the base mission on a lunar map all the shadows will straight up kill your frame rate. Something about having as many as 25 vehicles, suits, turrets, and battlemechs slugging it out just causes things to chug. Probably because mechs turn on headlights when in the shadowed areas. Which causes adds extra load on top of the already terribly optimized shadows.

Apparently they've got a fix for that in the works. But then if you hate Roguetech that means that other mods probably won't have it available for awhile. Meaning you're stuck avoiding that mission type on that biome. :shrug:

Edit: Also, if you're a lore nerd i'd suggest checking out the Roguetech online conquest map. Apparently a bunch of people have done the Goonswarm equivalent of taking over maybe half the map with one of the weakest factions out there short of the primitive minor factions.

The Tortugan Dominion --- IE: The space pirates that'll straight-facedly do poo poo like make a unique legendary tier mech that abuses the IFF system to have the name of A55-HAT have straight up conquered multiple Inner Sphere houses and are literally knocking on Clan space at the moment. They've even completely wiped out the Word of Blake and are starting in on the Comguard at Terra. Which not only pre-empts the Word of Blake taking the setting into anime territory (and makes that ominous update video look pretty lame) but has inadvertently set tech for most players back to primitive levels since vast swathes of the galaxy now speak pirate.

Seeing a bunch of duct taped together scrap mechs and jury-rigged super prototypes that are more likely to explode than work when they're fired take over the galaxy is just :allears:.

Okay I'll admit I straight up chortled, Roguetech is good now

I mean it's still not my cup of tea but that owns

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I've been looking at Roguetech and Battletech Expanded and if I install them and start a career with them am I stuck with the online galactic maps or is that something I can turn off?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Complications posted:

I've been looking at Roguetech and Battletech Expanded and if I install them and start a career with them am I stuck with the online galactic maps or is that something I can turn off?

BT Extended doesn't have that kind of online functionality, it just unlocks the entire Inner Sphere for travel and lets you help npc factions duke it out on the strategic map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

The virgin missile hat vs the Chad eye laser

are there any mechs that stick a stock IS ac/2 in the head? Its one crit slot in tabletop last I checked.