Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Rutibex posted:

so killing the emperor is bad and will make him win? but then Rey kills the emperor and he loses. i don't understand

No no no. It's the old "stop hitting yourself" loophole.

The emperor killed the emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Knight posted:

Everyone's going to judge this differently but I thought Mark Hamill's younger version was fine but Carrie Fisher's was bad. Wife didn't recognize that any part of Carrie Fisher's scenes (young and old) was CGI.

I thought they looked OK, Luke was better but you see them for all of 2 seconds so it was hard to tell

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arc Light posted:

No no no. It's the old "stop hitting yourself" loophole.

The emperor killed the emperor.

lol this is funny on its own but even funnier that it's the actual explanation

also, I could probably gloss over Sheev surviving being thrown down a big shaft (it's happened a bunch of times to other characters), but surviving the actual explosion of the death star stretches even my forgiving imagination. I dunno why they didn't go with "he planned his death and had clones waiting," especially since a) Sheev loving with clones was a major plot point in the prequels and b) they literally show the Snoke tanks to rub your face in the whole "he's loving with cloning" thing.

Oh and c) "clones of the emperor" was A Thing in the old EU and they've been pulling poo poo from there into the new canon since the day they made the big change.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 20, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
one thing is clear: at the end of everything, anakin really brought balance to the force

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Broke, new canon: Emperor "Sheev" Palpatine

Woke, old canon:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Does Palpatine refer to himself as Grampy Palpy? Or how about Grandad Sheev?

I just want to main characters to say "oh sheet it's sheev!" when they see him

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Broke, new canon: Emperor "Sheev" Palpatine

Woke, old canon:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooba Fett will be playable in the next star wars battlefront

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the "we had a clone of the emperor waiting but cloning is hard so he's all hosed up and rotted from the dark side" angle would have made sense and been easy to explain. but instead they're just like "don't worry about it"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the "we had a clone of the emperor waiting but cloning is hard so he's all hosed up and rotted from the dark side" angle would have made sense and been easy to explain. but instead they're just like "don't worry about it"

I like this a lot actually

I did think the whole "embedded in a giant robot arm hanging from the ceiling" thing looked pretty cool though, got some GladOS from Portal vibes

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This ties into the earlier "how did the First Order suddenly have enough people to man 10,000 Star Destroyers" thing, in that it's entirely glossed over. I don't think Sheev ever actually mentions that he has his own secret army, just that he was building up the fleet in secret. The whole conceit is that he's been hiding away in the middle of nowhere - someone probably would have noticed a steady influx of people loving off to unknown space over the years.

It's even dumber when you think about the whole premise of the film is Kylo Ren, and by extension the rest of the cast, is trying to find Palpatine by tracking down an ancient Sith artifact, but uh, the Emperor is moving around tens of thousands of First Order troops all along. How in the heck would no one in the entire galaxy follow FO ship movements and locate Palpatine in the 30+ years since this has been happening? It's almost less believable than the dude surviving the Death Star explosion.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Worthikids/status/1207871672029712390?s=09

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nothing about this movie made any sense. just be happy it is over

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

New thread title?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I just realized something that completely went over my head. Anakin knew he was The Chosen One. loving everybody knew he was the Chosen One, destined by prophecy to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith. WHY would you tell a teenager, or a kid, however old he would have been, that he was the chosen one? That sense of responsibility and import, not to mention ego, would gently caress your development up. No wonder he went crazy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This ties into the earlier "how did the First Order suddenly have enough people to man 10,000 Star Destroyers" thing, in that it's entirely glossed over. I don't think Sheev ever actually mentions that he has his own secret army, just that he was building up the fleet in secret. The whole conceit is that he's been hiding away in the middle of nowhere - someone probably would have noticed a steady influx of people loving off to unknown space over the years.

It's entirely glossed over without explanation because there is no explanation that could possibly make any sense. It is a scenario that is inherently nonsensical. Just going "no why" is better than trying to explain it, because any attempt to do so would only make it sound more ridiculous than it already is.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Rutibex posted:

Knight fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 20, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's even dumber when you think about the whole premise of the film is Kylo Ren, and by extension the rest of the cast, is trying to find Palpatine by tracking down an ancient Sith artifact, but uh, the Emperor is moving around tens of thousands of First Order troops all along. How in the heck would no one in the entire galaxy follow FO ship movements and locate Palpatine in the 30+ years since this has been happening? It's almost less believable than the dude surviving the Death Star explosion.

Chomp8645 posted:

It's entirely glossed over without explanation because there is no explanation that could possibly make any sense. It is a scenario that is inherently nonsensical. Just going "no why" is better than trying to explain it, because any attempt to do so would only make it sound more ridiculous than it already is.

one of the new book trilogies explains it in exhaustive detail but the gist is that he'd been planning this since the beginning; the original plan was to blow up Jakku during the final Empire/Republic battle and wipe both factions out and start again, using a fleet/troops he'd been building up in the Unknown Regions since before the fall of the old Republic

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Contingency

e: :goonsay:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

one of the new book trilogies explains it in exhaustive detail but the gist is that he'd been planning this since the beginning; the original plan was to blow up Jakku during the final Empire/Republic battle and wipe both factions out and start again, using a fleet/troops he'd been building up in the Unknown Regions since before the fall of the old Republic

Yeah I'm not gonna read that poo poo. From your summary it seems to confirm my assertion that "any explanation they try is worse than 'no why' "

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna read that poo poo. From your summary it seems to confirm my assertion that "any explanation they try is worse than 'no why' "

Eh, if you can believe the whole "my entire plan across 9 movies was to have you, my granddaughter, kill me and make me immortal" thing, then "also I built a bunch of spaceship factories out in the middle of nowhere 80 years ago and they've been pumping out star destroyers nonstop ever since" isn't that much of a stretch I think.

Sheev just did an Early Expand build is all.

e: but also loving laffo at a gigantic fleet being entirely dependent on 2 small antennas to get off the ground

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thats just good ol empire doesnt understand redundancies thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

maybe. but i sorta suspect that he never "exploded" and that his body was somehow recovered from the death star wreckage(you see in the movie that that part is mostly intact and they kinda kept him "alive" emperor of mankind style by shoving a boom mic up his rear end in a top hat and keeping his rotting body alive for a couple years. i kinda of assume palpy had those fleets being built since the glory days.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

this was weird. I thought to myself: wait, so she just has to...not kill the emperor to win? that seems pretty easy. just go grab a coffee or something. do literally anything besides killing him. but then she killed him and she won. maybe the win condition changed when he sucked their ghosts out and became MEGA OLD MAN?

Yea I think he was so hosed up post death star explosion that he was searching for a new vessel, and my hunch was that it was a trick and once Rey killed him his spirit was going to jump into her and take over. He wouldn't want anyone else to rule in his place and he certainly doesn't give a gently caress about his family. He'd rather destroy the galaxy than let anyone else be in charge imo

Once he became younger and strong again he realised Rey wasn't needed now and he could rule on as before.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a death star in every star destroyer

a chicken in every pot

this election I'm voting palpatine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gologle posted:

I just realized something that completely went over my head. Anakin knew he was The Chosen One. loving everybody knew he was the Chosen One, destined by prophecy to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith. WHY would you tell a teenager, or a kid, however old he would have been, that he was the chosen one? That sense of responsibility and import, not to mention ego, would gently caress your development up. No wonder he went crazy.

It is literally a vital plot point in the Prequels that the Jedi are incompetent.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sydin posted:

It is literally a vital plot point in the Prequels that the Jedi are incompetent.

Mace nodding sagely.gif

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I thought it was Lucas' original intention that Anakin did, in fact, bring balance to the force (by ensuring that the 2 remaining Sith killed off all but 2 remaining Jedi lol)

e: that is, the Jedi weren't technically wrong they just went all-in on the optimistic interpretation of the prophecy (because they're dumb and incompetent)

e2: did he get powercucked out of Star Wars before or after all the cartoons and stuff came out? I feel like it would make sense that the dozens of apparent Jedi survivors of the purge were someone else's creations.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 20, 2019

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I enjoyed all 3 but I guess I'm a giant dumbass with zero standards or something :shrug:

I enjoyed them all too while watching them and immediately after walking out. But there's A LOT of fridge logic in Star Wars movies, especially these new ones. That's when you realize how stupid they are after the fact. If I could ignore the fridge logic I'd like them.

Rogue One and Solo were much better films than any of the films in this new trilogy. All three films could be summed up:

The Force Awakens is a dumber version of A New Hope
The Last Jedi is much stupider version of Empire Strikes Back
The Rise of Skywalker is a total idiotic feeb's version of Return of the Jedi

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's somehow more utterly insipid than what actually happens in the movie from the first paragraph of that Wookiepedia article alone. :cripes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That's somehow more utterly insipid than what actually happens in the movie from the first paragraph of that Wookiepedia article alone. :cripes:

Why? I mean I'm not trying to defend the dumb poo poo Star Wars throws at people, but I don't think it's that stupid. He had a plan in place in case he died, and the plan included both rebuilding in secret, as well as a big ol' "gently caress you" to the people that let him die. Seems pretty standard supervillain stuff to me.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I remember when I first saw The Last Jedi, there was that scene where Rey almost joins forces with Kylo. I remember thinking that if they had the balls to do that it would have been awesome, and she would have made a great villain because she's so powerful, especially when allied with Kylo. But they chickened out and it ended pretty much the same way Empire Strikes Back did.

Imagine how cool it would have been if she did become a villain and it was Kylo who wound up turning her to the light side of the force in this new movie. TLJ really screwed the pooch.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I thought it was Lucas' original intention that Anakin did, in fact, bring balance to the force (by ensuring that the 2 remaining Sith killed off all but 2 remaining Jedi lol)

e: that is, the Jedi weren't technically wrong they just went all-in on the optimistic interpretation of the prophecy (because they're dumb and incompetent)

e2: did he get powercucked out of Star Wars before or after all the cartoons and stuff came out? I feel like it would make sense that the dozens of apparent Jedi survivors of the purge were someone else's creations.

The whole "bring balance to the force" thing never made sense to me. Doesn't balance mean that the light would balance out the dark? So how would completely killing off the Sith so only the light side exists be the balance?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

The whole "bring balance to the force" thing never made sense to me. Doesn't balance mean that the light would balance out the dark? So how would completely killing off the Sith so only the light side exists be the balance?

bc the Jedi were dumbasses and assumed that since their way is the only way, "balancing the force" meant eradicating the dark side for some reason (the reason is they were dumbasses)

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Also if you wanted to hear what Palpatines broadcast to the galaxy was they actually played it in Fortnite as one of the tie ins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vHrQCKaJiQ

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

literally a hog posted:

Also if you wanted to hear what Palpatines broadcast to the galaxy was they actually played it in Fortnite as one of the tie ins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vHrQCKaJiQ

Ok hiding critical lore in tie-in novels is one thing, but lmao at hiding critical lore in a Fortnite event

the future really is now

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lol why would you not put that in the movie?

You could even do the reverse of the revised rotj ending, start by cutting to different planets showing people spooked listenng on their space radios.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

bc the Jedi were dumbasses and assumed that since their way is the only way, "balancing the force" meant eradicating the dark side for some reason (the reason is they were dumbasses)

And that's why evil always wins because good is dumb.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you're not playing Fortnite at least 8 hours every day you are not the target demographic

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

a death star in every star destroyer

a chicken in every pot

this election I'm voting palpatine

lol I though Death Star Destroyers was a joke holy poo poo

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Fincel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The mandalorian is pretty good