Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Illuyankas posted:

Hello friends, I've been busy moving into my fiancee

Stopped reading here, excellent post imo

edit also excellent snipe. There are 368 days in a leeeeep year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Have I missed corned beef chat? That is my poo poo. I'd take a corned beef pie over a cake for my birthday and in fact have several times done so!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Igotadigbick posted:

Have I missed corned beef chat? That is my poo poo. I'd take a corned beef pie over a cake for my birthday and in fact have several times done so!

:thunk:

Name + post combo makes me wonder if this is innuendo...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OwlFancier posted:

The US afaik doesn't do meat in pastry as a rule for some reason, dunno why.

It's possible that I've just spent too much time in places with large Polish and Czech populations but I'm used to kolaches and the like being fairly readily available.

also pot pies are one of the classic unhealthy foods

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angepain posted:

pastry does make the "pigs in blankets" metaphor a little bit less horrifying. here have these pigs, in nice little blankets. it's cold at winter time so we got them some lovely blankets to warm up in. snuggling up in the blankets. what are the blankets made out of? why, it's the flesh of their friends

lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's possible that I've just spent too much time in places with large Polish and Czech populations but I'm used to kolaches and the like being fairly readily available.

also pot pies are one of the classic unhealthy foods

In the UK if you ask for a pie, the assumption is meat pie, or at least savoury pie, wheras I am given to understand that in the US, a pie is normally sweet/fruit unless otherwise specified.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

In the UK if you ask for a pie, the assumption is meat pie, or at least savoury pie, wheras I am given to understand that in the US, a pie is normally sweet/fruit unless otherwise specified.

is true, pot pies are a distinct category (and they're chicken so often that frankly "chicken pot pie" is generally redundant)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

is true, pot pies are a distinct category (and they're chicken so often that frankly "chicken pot pie" is generally redundant)

Beef pot pies also exist. I assume they're awful.

You can also see 'shepherd's pie' on menus all over the US.
For the love of god, never order one.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 21, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Can I just make the suggestion that pies are a trash food and that samosas are the ultimate filled pastyt like dish. sorry you all gotta have wrong opinions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Are they also made of beef :v:

Actually that's a point, do they eat sheep in the US? I always associate it with like, poultry, beef, and pork.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Actually that's a point, do they eat sheep in the US? I always associate it with like, poultry, beef, and pork.

Of course they're made of beef. And also plenty of corn.

Lamb's available but tends to be way more expensive. Pork's cheap.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Of course they're made of beef. And also plenty of corn.

Plenty of motherfuckin what!!?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Bundy posted:

Plenty of motherfuckin what!!?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the US is like 90% corn by volume.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've not been in here much since election day, how's everyone doing? I've kinda disengaged from politics for the moment as it all feels like a pointless endeavour at this point :(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Speaking of pigs in blankets, nearly got tricked by Tescos into getting Chicks in Blankets - "chicken sausage wrapped in bacon" - shame on you Tesco, I was going by the identical pictures, not the words. :argh:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Convex posted:

I've not been in here much since election day, how's everyone doing? I've kinda disengaged from politics for the moment as it all feels like a pointless endeavour at this point :(

Currently playing Little Inferno and spamming the 'choose your own photo' option with pictures of Boris.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Speaking of pigs in blankets, nearly got tricked by Tescos into getting Chicks in Blankets - "chicken sausage wrapped in bacon" - shame on you Tesco, I was going by the identical pictures, not the words. :argh:

Chicken sausages are tasty and less fatty, I don't see a problem with this?

Also better for the environment and watnot

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Was it pig bacon or turkey bacon? Important business.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Bacon chat: Macon is a loving travesty and I will fight any saffer who disagrees.

(Yup, mutton bacon)

RockyB fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 21, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unkempt posted:

I oordered a shepherds pie in a "British pub" in Canada one time. It was a small dish of minced beef, peas and carrots with one of those stupid pastry lid things thats just a square of puff pastry.

I didnt go there again, the Irish pub nearby was way better anyway.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

shepards pie better than a cornish pasty but a steak bake subsumes and exceeds them both

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Anyone got a Times subscription for this article?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-2017-labour-won-facebook-but-now-they-are-outdated-and-outgunned-svm2jdfwh

Seems like it might actually be relevant.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gamer thirst

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Gamer thirst

It wrex everything

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Do you eat corn dogs over there? Excellent junk food. I found some vegan corn dogs recently, they were as unhealthy and as tasty as I recall the real thing to be.

Going the other way, I enjoy making Woolton pies, although I usually prefer to throw in more leaf vegetables.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Braggart posted:

Bovine spongiform encephalopasty :yum:

good name for a grindcore band there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No and they look extremely disturbing, like a hot dog inside a donut.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Chicken sausages are tasty and less fatty, I don't see a problem with this?

Also better for the environment and watnot

Fat owns.

I'd cut a motherfucker that served me this and called it Shepard's Pie
_________/

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

OwlFancier posted:

No and they look extremely disturbing, like a hot dog inside a donut.
That's...actually a really good description that I never thought of. Not as sweet as a doughnut, but the texture is comparable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I figured you didn't sweeten them but it's the only fried dough product that's very common over here and the texture looks weirdly uniform too, like uncanny valley food.

We do have deep fried battered sausage but it looks quite different, it's crispy batter :v:

Though I grant you it's also perhaps offputting in that it looks like a deep fried turd.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

e: ^^ I miss saveloy from my time darn sarf (if your turds look like that get help please)

poo poo like corn dogs, "grits" and whatever the gently caress those things they call biscuits are, make Americans have some fuckin gall when they talk about Britfood

Meatloaf, on the other hand, needs to be more popular here.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Does anyone have any good Christmas quiche recipes?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Convex posted:

Listen to the latest trashfuture, it's surprisingly upbeat and motivating.

I also have not been posting since the election, because I said a stupid thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that one in particular is a very tidy battered sausage, they can look a lot worse :v:

I definitely think it's a trained response to look at that and go "yes this is dinner"

They're also a lot cheaper than a fish so they're good if you're on a budget.

Definitely offput by corn dogs though, they look like if you went to mcdonalds and they actually handed you a burger that looked exactly like the picture. lovely food should not be perfectly smooth and homogenous.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 21, 2019

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Chuka Umana posted:

Does anyone have any good Christmas quiche recipes?

Deeply disturbing but appropriate post/AV combo.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

feeling p. good about my ugly rear end dick rn

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Can I just make the suggestion that pies are a trash food and that samosas are the ultimate filled pastyt like dish. sorry you all gotta have wrong opinions.

+1

OwlFancier posted:

my personal doomed quixotic crusade is to have somewhere, anywhere, to purchase mutton

so no, it's just lamb at annoying prices in my area, because the US is somewhat larger than 'Great' Britain

I will also accept goat. Bonus: the milk is decent and the cheese is excellent.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 21, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd like to try mutton tbh because presumably all those sheep have to go somewhere and I am willing to attempt to eat them. I can add it to liver as another thing I eat that nobody else likes and is therefore extremely cheap.

Also yes goat milk and milk products are excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am sure you used to be able to get a goat curry ready meal from tesco but i am probably thinking of lamb rogan josh