Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Inzombiac posted:

Daily boot. I sometimes work in industrial areas but they don't require steeltoe. I just live in Portland and it rains all the time.

I'd love to get a Red Wing set but there's no way I can afford it.

Since you live in Portland I recommend checking out the Danner Factory Store out on NE Airport Way. Look specifically for the factory defect/blem section; you may be able to find what you're looking for in the price point you stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Haha I am extremely stupid. We have a contract with them and I didn't even think about it.

Thanks!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Van Dis posted:

Alright you winter veterans, I'm about to experience my first snowy winter, of many to come. What are your best cold-weather gear and wintertime purchase recommendations (other than clothing)? I've got good coats and jackets, long underwear, beanies, scarves, and light gloves, but I need heavier gloves for dealing with snow, good pants, etc.

For reference, I'm coming from sunny, coastal California.

I moved from Orlando, FL to St. Paul Minnesota (and then after one winter moved back to Orlando fwiw) and what I ended up doing was wearing long underwear basically 100% of the time during the winter with just jeans or slacks on over it. The thing I hadn't counted for was needing serious boots to just walk anywhere outside, like even on sidewalks. I had been wearing my Converse with thick socks and it was fine until I slipped on ice and bruised my rear end. I ended up getting some Under Armor boots from Marshall's or something similar but it wouldn't be unwise to get something nicer. They were pretty much all I wore after I bought them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Did you move to somewhere with snow and ice on the reg? Winter tires.

You could also get winter all seasons. (like the NOKIAN WR G4) Although I'd say it depends on how often there's actual uncleared snow on the roads.

Humerus posted:

I moved from Orlando, FL to St. Paul Minnesota (and then after one winter moved back to Orlando fwiw) and what I ended up doing was wearing long underwear basically 100% of the time during the winter with just jeans or slacks on over it. The thing I hadn't counted for was needing serious boots to just walk anywhere outside, like even on sidewalks. I had been wearing my Converse with thick socks and it was fine until I slipped on ice and bruised my rear end. I ended up getting some Under Armor boots from Marshall's or something similar but it wouldn't be unwise to get something nicer. They were pretty much all I wore after I bought them.

You'll want shoes with traction. I have pairs of Allbirds and I wonder why on earth they'd make them with such a poor tread.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Dec 20, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Inzombiac posted:

I'd love to get a Red Wing set but there's no way I can afford it.

Their regular work boots (not the Heritage series) are a touch expensive but I'd argue worth it. I currently have a pair of their logger/lineman boots with steel toe (previously worked in an industrial setting requiring them) and insulation, and they keep my feet warm even just wearing normal socks. Last pair I had didn't have steel toe or insulation and lasted me about four years of wearing them as winter boots, and likely would have lasted longer had I been more diligent with caring for the leather (basically - clean them and oil them monthly.)

I paid about $210 for the non-ST/insulated pair and $240 for my current pair.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Van Dis posted:

Alright you winter veterans, I'm about to experience my first snowy winter, of many to come. What are your best cold-weather gear and wintertime purchase recommendations (other than clothing)? I've got good coats and jackets, long underwear, beanies, scarves, and light gloves, but I need heavier gloves for dealing with snow, good pants, etc.

For reference, I'm coming from sunny, coastal California.

Schnapps.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Humerus posted:

I do a poo poo ton of walking on slush and ice this time of year and I just pop these (well a heavier duty version) on whatever shoes I'm wearing: Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats for Walking on Snow and Ice (1 Pair), X-Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S6LG06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z4w.Db1A9TR4V

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, crampons and PAC boots are pretty clutch for ice/slush

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Are any of the iRobot Braava Jet mops on the market now any good? We ALMOST got one for my dad last Christmas, because most of our floors are tile and he has to mop them like all the time, but pretty much everything I read about the models available at the time, of which there were only two, said they were kinda poo poo, so we decided it’d be smarter to hold off on getting one until the technology improved. Now iRobot makes FOUR models, and the reviewers at PCMag.com seem to really like the M6, which Amazon has on sale right now... but the reviews for it are giving me pause.

...... anybody? :(

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

black.lion posted:

Thanks! :glomp:

Any brand recs from anyone that's bought a new fridge lately?

We got a KitchenAid 5 door which we like, but we really really hate the bottom freezer because it's tough to fit anything in. Don't get a bottom freezer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Old Navy used to have some stretch pants similar to these Lulu Lemon (or lululemon?) pants: https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-pants/ABC-Pant-Classic-34/_/prod3470051?color=31382

I have two pair and would like to buy more but Old Navy doesn't seem to be making them anymore. Does anyone have similar recs that aren't $128 a pair?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LululeMon had a cool arc in season 4

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

Thanks! :glomp:

Any brand recs from anyone that's bought a new fridge lately?

We bought an LG last year. Top is a french door fridge and bottom is a freezer. It's nice that it has 2 ice makers (one for the door dispenser and one in the freezer). Nothing super fancy, but no complaints here.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

tangy yet delightful posted:

Old Navy used to have some stretch pants similar to these Lulu Lemon (or lululemon?) pants: https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-pants/ABC-Pant-Classic-34/_/prod3470051?color=31382

I have two pair and would like to buy more but Old Navy doesn't seem to be making them anymore. Does anyone have similar recs that aren't $128 a pair?

I haven't tried either, but I did used to wear a pair of Levi's Commuter that I got because I had a job stocking shelves at a grocery store. They look a bit more formal than your normal jeans, and I basically had just as much mobility as if I were wearing nothing at all. But I stopped wearing them mostly because they shrank a ton; they went from a Men's medium to a Small/X-Small (though I'm assuming that I didn't wash/dry them properly).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

umalt posted:

as if I were wearing nothing at all

umalt posted:

umalt posted:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

1redflag posted:

umalt posted:

as if I were wearing nothing at all.

umalt posted:

umalt posted:

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Dec 29, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Sportman posted:

It's nice that it has 2 ice makers (one for the door dispenser and one in the freezer).

Could you please explain what the use case is here? How much ice do you need at one time?

Do you make a lot of slushies? Need to preserve a lot of severed body parts? :ohdear:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

aardwolf posted:

Could you please explain what the use case is here? How much ice do you need at one time?

Do you make a lot of slushies? Need to preserve a lot of severed body parts? :ohdear:

If you ever have people over, one ice maker won't keep up.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And some people like ice water. I have a knockoff hydro flask and it's nice to have a lot of ice available throughout the day. Multiply that by a family of people and two ice makers is nice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My MeUndies are losing their stitches after a few years - what is the new hotness in boxer briefs these days?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Thank you, cold-weather friends. This is all valuable advice and I appreciate it.

Van Dis has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Dec 29, 2019

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I would like your best recommendations for books about chess. Not books about how to improve one's chess game, which seem to be 99.99% of all books written on the subject, but books about the history, cultural impact, and legacy of the game. The biennial world championship of chess is coming up in late 2020, and 2018's tournament was fascinating, so I'd like to learn more about it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nephzinho posted:

My MeUndies are losing their stitches after a few years - what is the new hotness in boxer briefs these days?

I feel like “after a few years” is more of an advertisement for meundies than a reason to switch underwear brands

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel like “after a few years” is more of an advertisement for meundies than a reason to switch underwear brands

For some reason this never really crossed my mind. Went back, I purchased most pairs in 2016 and a few in 2017 - so yeah, just getting some more of these and will aggressively throw out the worn out pairs during the next laundry cycle.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nephzinho posted:

For some reason this never really crossed my mind. Went back, I purchased most pairs in 2016 and a few in 2017 - so yeah, just getting some more of these and will aggressively throw out the worn out pairs during the next laundry cycle.

I love mine and yeah they’ve lasted great. I also realized thanks to your post that I have a few pairs I got that were too small and I’ve since lost a bunch of weight. New underwear day out of nowhere!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have had ex officio boxers for 10 years and have never had a pair wear out.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

This is more of an app/website than a physical product...

Is there anything I can use to review things, just for my own use? Think Yelp or like an android game review, but I want it to be private and able to put in anything - just so I can like, keep track of media I consume and how I felt about it, or a cake I made, or a restaurant, in one simple place. I could obviously do this with a spreadsheet or whatever and may well, but if there's an app that has searching/stars/nice interface/whatever that'd be cool.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Trapick posted:

This is more of an app/website than a physical product...

Is there anything I can use to review things, just for my own use? Think Yelp or like an android game review, but I want it to be private and able to put in anything - just so I can like, keep track of media I consume and how I felt about it, or a cake I made, or a restaurant, in one simple place. I could obviously do this with a spreadsheet or whatever and may well, but if there's an app that has searching/stars/nice interface/whatever that'd be cool.

Just use Evernote.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Use Notion, Evernote sucks now

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I've been using it so long at this point that I can't be bothered to port things over.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Anybody got a recommendation for some mens sweatpants/joggers that have at least a 34-inch inseam? So many places only make them in a 32 or 28 inch inseam and are way too short for me.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Chip McFuck posted:

Anybody got a recommendation for some mens sweatpants/joggers that have at least a 34-inch inseam? So many places only make them in a 32 or 28 inch inseam and are way too short for me.

I can't personally vouch for the length of the sweatpants/joggers they make right now, but it may be worth checking out Uniqlo, especially if you can get to a physical store. Their fitted pants always come in 34". You may be able to find something you're happy with that's fitted, but also the non-fitted stuff may be ok. I have both an older pair of joggers and sweatpants that are probably 32" and 34" respectively. Unfortunately it seems to come down to the style of whatever product they're offering at the time, but they definitely make some longer stuff.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Uniqlo is usually my go to, but the sweatpants they have currently only come in a 30- or 31-inch inseam in the size I need unfortunately. Being a tall, slim dude that's mostly legs makes finding the right waist/inseam pretty hard.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Dec 31, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there an app where I can take pictures of my house and swap colors of stuff?

I'm closing on a house and want to paint first but would like to slap on some pallettes just to get a feel first.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

Is there an app where I can take pictures of my house and swap colors of stuff?

I'm closing on a house and want to paint first but would like to slap on some pallettes just to get a feel first.

In case you don't find anything, it is pretty simple to do in Gimp or Photoshop. Well, for the most part.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Etrips posted:

In case you don't find anything, it is pretty simple to do in Gimp or Photoshop. Well, for the most part.

Yeah I know but I'd like to get into the empty house, snap some photos and choose in real-time.

Edit:
I just tried ColorSnap by Sherwin Williams. It's pretty decent AR and shows you exactly the paint name/color.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Jan 1, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

poo poo. I looked at how they've improved Notion since I last looked and now I'm tempted. The import completely butchered my content so it would be a long painful port, but I've been meaning to print my "cookbook" for friends and family as a stocking stuffer one year and Evernote has held me back from doing so for export/formatting limitations. I can't seem to find a good example of what a cookbook can look like in there and whether you can do export DB objects without meta data on the header, but I may actually make this a project in 2020.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What's a good conical burr grinder that's not too expensive? And no, I don't want to go manual crank.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've been using a capresso infinity for like 15 years and it's been good. I haven't ever used a fancier one so maybe I'm missing out but the grind seems to come out even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I've been using (a slightly older model of) the Cuisinart DBM-8C - for ~5 years and seems to work really nicely.