Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moola posted:

lol I though Death Star Destroyers was a joke holy poo poo

"It's a moon-sized space station that can blow up planets"
"It's an even bigger space station that can blow up planets"
"It's a planet base that can blow up planets"
"gently caress it, all the ships blow up planets now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

bc the Jedi were dumbasses and assumed that since their way is the only way, "balancing the force" meant eradicating the dark side for some reason (the reason is they were dumbasses)

that's because that's how lucas meant it

because in the original trilogy there was no 'light side' of the force, 'light side' was an EU thing

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

literally a hog posted:

Also if you wanted to hear what Palpatines broadcast to the galaxy was they actually played it in Fortnite as one of the tie ins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vHrQCKaJiQ

Hmm I give it a 5/10, ol' Emperor Palps is rusty in his evil machievellian swagger game.
Skeletor did it better: https://youtu.be/uWIzzdwTQFM?t=283

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But why wouldn't they just send a small ship into hyperspace and ram a planet :smug: it clearly worked in TLJ

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just appreciate that we finally learn that Rey's father is Triclops

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I liked this movie more than 8 and quite a lot more than 7 despite its flaws

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah one thing that stood out as supremely dumb:

I can suspend disbelief about a lot of poo poo regarding Sheev surviving and coming back, but "this ancient dagger is a treasure map that secretly forms an exact copy of 1 very specific piece of debris from the Death Star" was just :psyduck:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Haven’t seen the new movie and probably
Won’t

Is Star Wars now a series about the Emperor?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Haven’t seen the new movie and probably
Won’t

Is Star Wars now a series about the Emperor?

no he's dead but they primed like 3 or 4 different new sub-franchises with this movie

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Jedi seem to be a lot like the Democratic Party of the United States.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I can suspend disbelief about a lot of poo poo regarding Sheev surviving and coming back, but "this ancient dagger is a treasure map that secretly forms an exact copy of 1 very specific piece of debris from the Death Star" was just :psyduck:

That was probably my most favourite "wtf is this" moment in the whole movie. You have to watch the wreck from a very specific angle to get that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sheev raised funds for his Death Star destroyer armada by selling Death Star 2 Official Commemorative Sith Daggers

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Jedi seem to be a lot like the Democratic Party of the United States.

The other guys, have you seen?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

skasion posted:

I liked this movie more than 8 and quite a lot more than 7 despite its flaws

ok skasion I have been an appreciator of your opinions for a while, and I just do not understand where you are coming from. what did you like about this movie more than both 7 and 8.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

that was the point i realized Rise of skywalker was a deliberate troll movie. its really quite brilliant actually. its like it was written to be a calculated attempt to generate as much youtube rage nit pick videos as possible.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pimperor Poopatine has declared that he will only face opponents in combat when they have collected a set of 8 magic coins. Do our heroes Finn and Ray have what it takes to collect the 8 magic coins and free the galaxy forever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

piratepilates posted:

ok skasion I have been an appreciator of your opinions for a while, and I just do not understand where you are coming from. what did you like about this movie more than both 7 and 8.

I liked that the characters in it discuss their emotions and what they think is right to do. I liked that it put the main cast together and gave their characters clear motives and conflicts to work through. I liked that it addressed the fact that Rey is a hosed up petulant and violent person who has been coming from a bad place for most of these movies, and that it gave her a realization that she needs to improve herself even if she only sort of follows through on it, and also that it gave any explanation at all for her existence, even if it was “a dark wizard did it”. I really liked the emperor having a planet of robed mummy cultists who exist to evilly chant at him whenever he says anything, it was entertainingly weird and reminded me of the bit at the end of The Prisoner. I liked Driver’s performance a lot and his face turn really landed, which I had been worried it wouldn’t. He has done more to sell me on these movies than any other actor and I hope they bring him back for X, possibly with a ghost beard. I liked that Hux got shot to death for being a stupid bitch. I liked Zori and her relationship with Poe and I wished it had been introduced ages ago so that it could be developed. I liked the small character detail of Rey relating to the midget droid not wanting to be touched.

I found provocative and interesting the (probably unintentional) implication that there will not be a new new republic or anything after this, the imperial throne is left vacant surrounded by ruins and garbage, no new Jedi academy, no new rebellion military, “just people” which could make for an interesting sengoku kind of setting for future stories. I thought the flashback Luke and Leia duel was well handled by virtue of its brevity: if it had lasted longer the weirdness of it would have been too much.

In addition to all the contrivances and huge gaping plot holes the size of a star destroyer that everyone has already mentioned, I did not like the fake Chewbacca death, what a weenie-rear end move. Either have him actually die or don’t do that poo poo at all. On which note the 3PO getting reset thing is also pretty stupid. Its first milked for pathos then revealed as a gag. Shouldn’t have been done.

It also had the benefit of being preceded by 2-4 lovely movies to lower my expectations as opposed to a smaller number.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 21, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Last Jedi was good and I'm sad to hear that the story doesn't follow it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Please stop.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You know after this movie was released I'm really disappointed at Disney breaking their promise and giving us more jedi films. You said it was the last one 2 years ago, smdh.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Were people fans of the kiss between Rey and Kylo? That felt really shoehorned in.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Were people fans of the kiss between Rey and Kylo? That felt really shoehorned in.

its fine. the sexual tension between Rey and Kylo is one of the most important elements of TLJ and people responded very positively to it by and large -- whatever people complain about in that movie, it's usually not that. so they play it up in this one and there's even a recurring gag (a lot people seem to have mistaken this for an unresolved subplot) about how Finn wants to confess his feelings to Rey but he keeps getting prevented from doing so.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

baby sheev doo doo doo doo doo doo
baby sheev

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i can't wait for that horrible mutant russian baby who operated on c3p0 to get his own movie

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friend on Facebook loved it (they fell asleep a couple times, but that's not the movie's fault!)
This person is also writing their own sci-fi novel.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Luke and Leia are the most outrageous assholes for not telling Rey what they knew about her family back in TFA/TLJ lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gianthogweed posted:

And that's why evil always wins because good is dumb.

I see that your schwartz is a nice size

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Burns posted:

Please stop.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

skasion posted:

its fine. the sexual tension between Rey and Kylo is one of the most important elements of TLJ and people responded very positively to it by and large -- whatever people complain about in that movie, it's usually not that. so they play it up in this one and there's even a recurring gag (a lot people seem to have mistaken this for an unresolved subplot) about how Finn wants to confess his feelings to Rey but he keeps getting prevented from doing so.

To quote my other reply I didn't like the last jedi and found the sexual tension between Rey and Kylo dumb but I know how "shippers" like to turn sociopathic monsters into troubled bad boys in need of love.

Kylo should have kissed the emperor instead.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Hey Anakin it's cool how you sacrificed your life to save your son and kill the Emperor. Oh wait, nevermind, your son tried to kill a child and also the Emperor is still alive. LOL gently caress you.

Burns
May 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

There would have to be groundwork in TLJ for the story to follow. No such exists in that... film.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it was weird that they kept teasing romantic relationships with the characters and then explicitly shot them down

like that power ranger didn't even want to kiss Poe at the end

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I liked TLJ and fully acknowledge it's not a good movie. I also like bad things that are bad.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

its all nice on rice posted:

Friend on Facebook loved it (they fell asleep a couple times, but that's not the movie's fault!)
This person is also writing their own sci-fi novel.

all two people i know who've said they've liked it say similar things. it's like 'yeah, i liked it, it's pretty good [then 3-4 paragraphs of things that sucked about it]'

in a few months it's going to be another TFA where everyone is like 'wait, this movie sucked'

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I also like bad things that are bad.

you'll love rise of skywalker

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
At least we still have the last episode of The Mandalorian.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Jellymouth posted:

At least we still have the last episode of The Mandalorian.

Mandalorian rips off his mask revealing Palpatines face: Heeehahahahahaaha!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dudeness posted:

Mandalorian rips off his mask revealing Palpatines face: Heeehahahahahaaha!

And then he shoots himself with lightning peeling his face off to reveal Babu Frik!

The true Phantom Menace were the friends we made along the way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I liked TLJ and fully acknowledge it's not a good movie. I also like bad things that are bad.

Pretty much all the Star Wars films but two are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much all the Star Wars films but two are bad.

:emptyquote: