Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

While I like the way they've told the story (three different timelines each catching up to eachother), I do agree the Ciri stuff has not been very well paced. More time in Cintra could have been the ticket. Or simply focusing less on Ciri until more toward the middle of the season, while not removing her entirely from the first half.

The changes to Brokilon were really weird and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is ciri supposed to be 17? or was she supposed to be like 15, i couldn't get a handle on it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Is ciri supposed to be 17? or was she supposed to be like 15, i couldn't get a handle on it.

She's 12 as of the first episode, I believe.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
I'm thinking more about it and maybe the female mage's hysterectomy, at least for Yen, is somehow good storytelling.

Book/game people are saying it's a glamor spell but glamor spells are always about how people see you. Yen's problems are a lot bigger than that. People might see her as pretty but that isn't helping if she's still a hunchbacked foot dragger who can only move half her face. So they decided to upgrade the process with a hysterectomy which also helped with the sterility issue, two birds one stone.

Does make me curious though, is Yen in the books/game also a hunchback before magic?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tehran 1979 posted:

People might see her as pretty but that isn't helping if she's still a hunchbacked foot dragger who can only move half her face.

What a good message for the boys and girls.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tehran 1979 posted:

I'm thinking more about it and maybe the female mage's hysterectomy, at least for Yen, is somehow good storytelling.

Book/game people are saying it's a glamor spell but glamor spells are always about how people see you. Yen's problems are a lot bigger than that. People might see her as pretty but that isn't helping if she's still a hunchbacked foot dragger who can only move half her face. So they decided to upgrade the process with a hysterectomy which also helped with the sterility issue, two birds one stone.

Does make me curious though, is Yen in the books/game also a hunchback before magic?

Yep! In fact you learn it the first time you/Geralt meet her. He can tell right away just from looking at her long enough, but he's scrutinized a lot of glamours in his day. You learn more once she becomes a POV character in the saga books.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Tehran 1979 posted:

I seem to remember being stated in the books that 'bones are straightened out', or somesuch. I think they really perform some sort of extreme corrective procedure with magic to fix physical deformities, not just an illusion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vilgefartz posted:

I seem to remember being stated in the books that 'bones are straightened out', or somesuch. I think they really perform some sort of extreme corrective procedure with magic to fix physical deformities, not just an illusion.

It's a bit of both. Yennefer's body needed to be fixed, and they basically do advanced magical surgery for that poo poo. In fact in the books her shoulders aren't entirely straight even after getting them fixed, which is how Geralt guesses she probably used to be a hunchback. On top of that they can and often do glamour themselves, but it doesn't change how they look so much as enhance how they already do and make them irresistable to others. I think? each mage does it a bit differently. Yen basically enchants her lotion (which smells of lilac and gooseberries!!) and uses that.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kaedric posted:

What is with the tanned and dried giant nutsacks that Nilfgaard wears for armor

Zimmerit, so no northern savage attaches anything boomy to them.
But probably just to make them different.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

It's a bit of both. Yennefer's body needed to be fixed, and they basically do advanced magical surgery for that poo poo. In fact in the books her shoulders aren't entirely straight even after getting them fixed, which is how Geralt guesses she probably used to be a hunchback. On top of that they can and often do glamour themselves, but it doesn't change how they look so much as enhance how they already do and make them irresistable to others. I think? each mage does it a bit differently. Yen basically enchants her lotion (which smells of lilac and gooseberries!!) and uses that.

Oh yead id forgotten when yen pops some on before going into Gors Velen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just finished. Sodden Hill delivered i m h o

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I'm enjoying this show but if someone unfamiliar with the Witcher tried to follow it, may good have mercy on thier soul.

It lack's fundamental worldbuilding in a drastic way, very much to it's detriment.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HardKase posted:

I'm enjoying this show but if someone unfamiliar with the Witcher tried to follow it, may good have mercy on thier soul.

It lack's fundamental worldbuilding in a drastic way, very much to it's detriment.

Considering how careful they were about that stuff in GoT s1 it's almost refreshing that they don't seem to give a poo poo at all in Witcher. But I agree it probably doesn't serve the show well in the long run.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I was so hyped for this show by the end of episode 3 and then all the wind went out of my sails by the end of 8. What a whiff. They rushed through so much stuff that they could have used as a backbone for 2 seasons worth of driving force. In between all that time they could have had what makes legit good shows good - quiet moments which, with good writers, are the hilarious best moments of a show. When I think of all the great HBO shows from their golden age its not action that I remember.

After 2 seasons geralt finally meeting ciri in the woods might have been earned ? Instead all I could think was how did they manage to run into each other face to face when they both left from the same place

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 21, 2019

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I am somewhat aware of Witcher stuff, played a bit of all the games (but never finished any) and have absorbed general details from internet discussions about the books and games over the years so I am somewhat able to fill in some of the blanks but yeah.. the way this show starts is gonna mean anyone who has no clue what The Witcher is kind of hosed.

A shame as it is a solid show so far, I am up to episode 4.

Cavill is great.

The script is good, line wise at least ..the loving a snowman part had me lol'ing for real.

Fights are very well done, the group fight in town.. more of this poo poo please.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The show nails the atmosphere of the books and games.

By atmosphere Geralt bangs a Femme fatale in the pilot episode.

alex314 posted:

Zimmerit, so no northern savage attaches anything boomy to them.
But probably just to make them different.

The armor was so cheesy. I'm suprised they didn't take inspiration from some of the art designs in the Witcher games.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 21, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loved it when Geralt talks to Roach in the pilot. God this pilot is just...a perfect adaptation of Witcher vibe.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Qmass posted:

I was so hyped for this show by the end of episode 3 and then all the wind went out of my sails by the end of 8. What a whiff. They rushed through so much stuff that they could have used as a backbone for 2 seasons worth of driving force. In between all that time they could have had what makes legit good shows good - quiet moments which, with good writers, are the hilarious best moments of a show. When I think of all the great HBO shows from their golden age its not action that I remember.

After 2 seasons geralt finally meeting ciri in the woods might have been earned ? Instead all I could think was how did they manage to run into each other face to face when they both left from the same place

Even as a fan I can't possibly imagine sitting through two years of will they/won't they bump into each other. Sometimes you just gotta cut to the chase

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

The armor was so cheesy. I'm suprised they didn't take inspiration from some of the art designs in the Witcher games.

Whatever do you mean?

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
gently caress.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Even as a fan I can't possibly imagine sitting through two years of will they/won't they bump into each other. Sometimes you just gotta cut to the chase
oh, I agree. I think the way it played out in the show with him retracing where ciri had been camp to camp in one episode is the way to do it I just don't think they should have lit that fuse until deeper into the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bloom posted:

Whatever do you mean?

Yeah you shouldn't compare this to GoT since you can tell the budget was much lower especially for the costumes / often Syfy level cheesy special effects.

I still enjoyed the series since it captures the tones of books even though the overall quality of the series is hit and miss.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

Yeah you shouldn't compare this to GoT since you can tell the budget was much lower especially for the costumes / often Syfy level cheesy special effects.

I still enjoyed the series since it captures the tones of books even though the overall quality of the series is hit and miss.

Yeah I don't wanna poo poo on the show too much for its flaws because overall I did enjoy it.

That armor looked terrible though even though the lighting hid the worst of it.

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
TV IV > The Witcher: Ah, gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's no way they could drag out Geralt and Ciri searching for each other to two seasons. There just isn't enough book material to make that work so they'd need to do more TV padding and that's already been shown to be the weakest part of the show. Ciri's story has already been done on the cheap it seems, since 90% of her scenes are shots of her wandering around a forest like it's a Star Wars fanfilm. It was already dragging on in this season and it would kill season 2.

Now that the show has caught up to the beginning of Blood of Elves Ciri will get a lot more to do, since she takes over as the main protagonist of the books.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I've not played any Witcher games or read any of the books.

- Geralt owns.
- Bard owns.
- Yen owns.
- Magic is Not loving Around in this setting.
- There's some political intrigue and war going on, but the details of that are clearly not the focus of this show about a door-to-door murder salesman and aspiring future stepdad.
- Geralt's tendency to let not kill monsters that can be saved/convinced to leave/change their behavior is very good.
- Stregmanfolicile or whatever the gently caress his name is is a lovely wizard, and I hope a rock falls on him.
- Why wrinkle armor? I mean, it makes i pretty obvious who's who, I guess.
- poo poo's out of order, but that's okay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I believe hirssich said in an interview that the ballsack armor is a temporary thing to emphasize how Nilfgaard has only recently become a great power and they don't have a full war industry yet. Pretty sure she's covering her rear end when people said "what the gently caress that looks terrible" but I can definitely see Nilfgaard getting an aesthetic overhaul as the show goes on. They've already shown good armour designs for Cintra and Temeria, so taking off the wrinkle wrap would be step one to making a more professional looking Nilfgaardian army.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Can't help but think that this show would have been better if it went for an x-files type format, where the main story episodes were broken up with monster of the week type eps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It took until The Mandalorian for people to realize that weekly standalone episodes can still carry a flagship TV series rather than doing a GOT repeat. Witcher sort of juggles the middle ground between episode-by-episode adventures and the overarching storyline, and that will probably be true going into the main book saga adaptations as well. Even though geralt is on a mission in those books he still finds time to make some coin hunting a contract.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Hey fair enough, I memory-holed that scene because it was so goddamn dumb. They did in fact bond a little there.

EDIT: over their shared ritual murder of innocent people, admittedly

Don’t back down, I agree wholeheartedly with you in pretty much every point. Show is only meh. The travels of Geralt and dandelion carry the show, the rest is middling soap opera overacting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For a show that has them speaking the elder speech properly there are some weird as hell pronunciations. Elder Speech is basically Celtic or Gaelic with Germanic influences, so it is weird hearing some of the pronunciations if you know anything about how those languages work in real life. Aedirn being pronounced Aaydern is bizarre. It should be Eddern.

The wonkiest one was actually french though. Eyck of Denesle as '"Eyck of Den Eslee?" Have you never heard French in your lifetime I wonder.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's pretty weird that they adapted the story where Geralt first goes to Cintra in episode 4 but then had Cintra burn down 14 years later in episode 1.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

I believe hirssich said in an interview that the ballsack armor is a temporary thing to emphasize how Nilfgaard has only recently become a great power and they don't have a full war industry yet. Pretty sure she's covering her rear end when people said "what the gently caress that looks terrible" but I can definitely see Nilfgaard getting an aesthetic overhaul as the show goes on. They've already shown good armour designs for Cintra and Temeria, so taking off the wrinkle wrap would be step one to making a more professional looking Nilfgaardian army.

I wouldn't hold my breath, costuming and props is usually the first thing shows slash to start saving money no matter how successful they are. Even GoT went from using exquisitely detailed armor for the big houses in season 1 and then downgraded after for seemingly no reason.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's pretty weird that they adapted the story where Geralt first goes to Cintra in episode 4 but then had Cintra burn down 14 years later in episode 1.

I think a lot of the problems with this season stem from trying to introduce Ciri early. Introducing her in like episode 5 would have tightened up her plot, given Yen and Geralt's stories more space to breath, and made the non-linear narrative less confusing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Couple questions I had:

Ep2 Why wasn't Yennefer one of the girls Mean McGonagall turned into eels? She seemed like the worst mage in the class.

Ep7 What made Geralt come back to Cintra to get Ciri after all these years?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phenotype posted:

Ep2 Why wasn't Yennefer one of the girls Mean McGonagall turned into eels? She seemed like the worst mage in the class.

She isn't the worst at all. Didn't you see that poo poo with the lightning?

Phenotype posted:

He got shamed by Yen. And the dreams. And the golden dragon (I am not even going to attempt to spell his name) basically told him to.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 21, 2019

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

HardKase posted:

As someone who hasn't played the games or read the books it really wasn't too bad! The only things I thought could have used some more time were better establishing all these different kingdoms/locations and the continent's geography. Especially the latter, made the overarching war a little confusing to follow at times. And also maybe given more exposition about the Elves/Dwarves and their histories but that's not as important.

A good show, I'm glad we're at least getting a season 2.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Phenotype posted:

The answer is at the beginning of the episode. He saw the writing on the wall (Nilfgaardian soldiers marching around).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Phenotype posted:

Couple questions I had:

I think she took a liking to her after she tried to murder someone with it.

In the books Geralt pulls the law of surprise trick in the hopes she has a son that he can claim and turn into a new Witcher. He also sort of knows her already because he meets her in Brokilon some time before Cintra falls, and i think the dryads say the destiny thing is a big deal because it is the reason their magic water that turns you into a dryad and wipes your memories doesn't work on her. In the show i assume it's because the dragon tells him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
By the way i think it's really funny that critics are complaining about the gratuitous female nudity in the show, given that people were flipping out that the head writer was a feminist and going to ruin the show by forcing her SJW views on the show.