Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

Dwarves [with-a-v] have always been Scottish, and I have no idea who first did that; since it wasn't Tolkien for sure nor was it in early dwarf [but-with-an-f] films such as Snow White, Willow, etc. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find who first made Tolkien dwarves Scottish if you looked hard enough.

Incidentally, Tolkien took a cue from Wagner and made his Dwarves Jewish. The Dwarvish language was explicitly modelled on Hebrew. The Times of Israel has a decent writeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it may have been Warhammer and of course Warcraft started out as a Warhammer RTS but then turned into Warhammer with the serial numbers filed off because off licensing issues.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think it may have been Warhammer and of course Warcraft started out as a Warhammer RTS but then turned into Warhammer with the serial numbers filed off because off licensing issues.

It's also where Metzen obviously got the idea of corruption from, only he never really got how to use it as a plotdevice. So in Warhammer you just have people being dicks because they're dicks, and 'corruption' is some kind of cosmic horrorshow that sometimes reaches out. But in Warcraft, Starcraft or even Diablo it's always a crutch for poor writing and characterization. No one is ever really flawed in these games, they're just tragically corrupted or cartoonishly evil.

It makes for really boring stories, and if you're being outwritten by Warhammer you've got a pretty big problem with your narrative.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Serephina posted:

Dwarves [with-a-v] have always been Scottish, and I have no idea who first did that; since it wasn't Tolkien for sure nor was it in early dwarf [but-with-an-f] films such as Snow White, Willow, etc. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find who first made Tolkien dwarves Scottish if you looked hard enough.

its an archaic form that tolkien intentionally used as a nerdy linguist

its consistent, see? knife knives, soap soaves, bart barves, etc

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I dunno I thought the Jamaican trolls were pretty funny because just what. It's not like they're all wearing rasta caps and dreads and smoking blunts, though if that's what the game jokes about at some point then I can see how it would be in poor taste.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Without getting into the diarrhea-flooded mire that is WoW lore, it is actually a pro-racism message in the end. "A place for everyone, and everyone in their place. When people go to different places with different people, war and hatred and endless violence occurs. It's also good this happens, because it keeps them strong, so when a different outside group comes they can be killed even faster and harder."

Ah, yeah, that's no good, then. The only scenario that I can think of where you can get away with this sort of thing is if the races in question literally cannot survive outside of their designated place (e.g. a race of ice people who have to live in the frozen north, etc.), but if it's "just because" then that's pretty poor.

All I know about WoW these days is the big tiddy edgy waifu is apparently the main character now and a lot of people aren't happy with that.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Dec 21, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

queserasera posted:

Never thought about it this way, interesting.

That's one of the things about Twilight. There's a lot of potentially interesting things and ideas in the books that a competent writer could explore and do cool stuff with, but because this is Stephenie Meyer they're all ignored in the service of the dull dumb love story.

You could probably get a decent series of books about what's-his-face the doctor vampire living through the centuries and getting called in to solve crimes or some poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's one of the things about Twilight. There's a lot of potentially interesting things and ideas in the books that a competent writer could explore and do cool stuff with, but because this is Stephenie Meyer they're all ignored in the service of the dull dumb love story.

You could probably get a decent series of books about what's-his-face the doctor vampire living through the centuries and getting called in to solve crimes or some poo poo.

Just the concept of a vampire living through the centuries and having to adapt to changing societies and technologies while constantly changing his identity is interesting. You could still have love stories and even explore how he goes through numerous romances which all end in tragedy because he outlives them all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I dunno I thought the Jamaican trolls were pretty funny because just what. It's not like they're all wearing rasta caps and dreads and smoking blunts, though if that's what the game jokes about at some point then I can see how it would be in poor taste.

Ah, yeah, that's no good, then. The only scenario that I can think of where you can get away with this sort of thing is if the races in question literally cannot survive outside of their designated place (e.g. a race of ice people who have to live in the frozen north, etc.), but if it's "just because" then that's pretty poor.

All I know about WoW these days is the big tiddy edgy waifu is apparently the main character now and a lot of people aren't happy with that.

The Tinkerbell movies have an interesting reason for the Ice fairies isolation - they had a moment in their past where one of them fell in love with a summer fairy, but he spent too long in weather that was too hot for him and his wings melted. In the text of the movie Tinkerbell figures out how an ice fairy can hang out in warm weather without this happening, but the fairy it happened to freaks out about it because "what if it fails? This is a dangerous move."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mm yeah, give me more Angel please.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

BioEnchanted posted:

The Tinkerbell movies have an interesting reason for the Ice fairies isolation - they had a moment in their past where one of them fell in love with a summer fairy, but he spent too long in weather that was too hot for him and his wings melted. In the text of the movie Tinkerbell figures out how an ice fairy can hang out in warm weather without this happening, but the fairy it happened to freaks out about it because "what if it fails? This is a dangerous move."

I'm glad I'm not the only grown-rear end adult who knows this fact off the top of their head

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's going in the book of grudges! Warhammer dwarfs aren't scottish, they're far northern Englishmen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Acula?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Just the concept of a vampire living through the centuries and having to adapt to changing societies and technologies while constantly changing his identity is interesting. You could still have love stories and even explore how he goes through numerous romances which all end in tragedy because he outlives them all.

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St Germain series is really good historical fiction about times and places that aren't really told about often in fiction. Her take on vampires also cleaves toward the Romanian myths. It's been a while since I've read them but I remember being fascinated when I did. Hopefully they've aged well. I remember one of the main character's love interests became a vampire in Roman times and lived up until 17th century in France, I think.

I wish more books would explore the morality of immortality.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sandman nails this with its various immortals. There's Hob Gadling, a peasant from the 14th century that Death makes immortal, and we see him through the ages as his fortunes rise and fall. There's also a brief appearance from a neolithic guy who is inexplicably immortal, and after he dies in a really dumb accident his son finds all the ancient loot and centuries of passports he had stashed away and has a massive freakout

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would love a competent writer doing a Volturi story. They’re canonically from Ancient Rome and other vampires are from Egypt, two settings that vampire fiction really never touches.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

queserasera posted:

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St Germain series is really good historical fiction about times and places that aren't really told about often in fiction. Her take on vampires also cleaves toward the Romanian myths. It's been a while since I've read them but I remember being fascinated when I did. Hopefully they've aged well. I remember one of the main character's love interests became a vampire in Roman times and lived up until 17th century in France, I think.

20th century. Yarbo features them in a short story.

Edit: Cabin 33

xcheopis has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Dec 22, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sandman nails this with its various immortals. There's Hob Gadling, a peasant from the 14th century that Death makes immortal, and we see him through the ages as his fortunes rise and fall. There's also a brief appearance from a neolithic guy who is inexplicably immortal, and after he dies in a really dumb accident his son finds all the ancient loot and centuries of passports he had stashed away and has a massive freakout

queserasera posted:

Anne Rice wrote a whole series for y'all.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

there wolf posted:

Yarbo is better than Rice.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My not-so-secret desire was for a Twilight spinoff focused on Vampire Doctor Dude (Carlin? Carlisle?) and Mustache Dad solving murders together in a sleepy town. I think its because they were the only two actors in the film who had any chemistry with each other.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

there wolf posted:

No she didn’t.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I would love a competent writer doing a Volturi story. They’re canonically from Ancient Rome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

chitoryu12 posted:

and other vampires are from Egypt, two settings that vampire fiction really never touches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64NT--ykJ9U

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

there wolf posted:

Anne Rice's setting is kind of weird because she makes it so that there are almost no vampires from pre-1700s. She has a thing where every vampire is connected to the first vampire and someone tried to kill the first vampire by putting her out in the sun and instead of killing her it killed almost every single other vampire.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Anne Rice's setting is kind of weird because she makes it so that there are almost no vampires from pre-1700s. She has a thing where every vampire is connected to the first vampire and someone tried to kill the first vampire by putting her out in the sun and instead of killing her it killed almost every single other vampire.

It is indeed very weird and also not the best writing, so I'm not really suggesting everyone go read the Chronicles. Just that Rice had a Tolkien-esque impact on urban fantasy and the modern concept of the Vampire, so odds are any given 'Twilight but better' scenario already exists in the countless other works inspired by Rice.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like Interview well enough. And then The Vampire Lestat was okay enough for "Louis is a lying liar who lies, here's what really happened!" from an equally unreliable narrator. But then the rest was just all on board with Lestat being the bestest around, isn't he just great, and became kinda boring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Vampire Lestat was pretty stupid for how much it just straight up retcons everything from the first book just because fans liked Lestat better than Louis.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

there wolf posted:

It is indeed very weird and also not the best writing, so I'm not really suggesting everyone go read the Chronicles. Just that Rice had a Tolkien-esque impact on urban fantasy and the modern concept of the Vampire, so odds are any given 'Twilight but better' scenario already exists in the countless other works inspired by Rice.

Yarbro and Rice are contemporaries.

I like Kim Newman’s Dracula books a lot, especially The Bloody Red Baron.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yarbro and Rice are contemporaries.

I like Kim Newman’s Dracula books a lot, especially The Bloody Red Baron.

Interview came out two years before Hotel Transylvania. I did check before posting that claim about Rice's influence because I knew they came out around the same time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anne Rice is basically "what if Stephenie Meyer but GAY VAMPIRES" as far as I remember.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stephenie Meyer is basically "what if Anne Rice but MORMON VAMPIRES" as far as I remember.

fixed for accuracy as one came before the other

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There is a /r/menwritingwomen

(Patrick Rothfuss, Kingkiller Chronicles)

(John Varley, Please Enter)

(Dean Koontz, Twilight Eyes)

(Ned Vizzini, Kind of a Funny Story)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Samuringa posted:

There is a /r/menwritingwomen

(Patrick Rothfuss, Kingkiller Chronicles)

What's really telling in this one is how defensive Rothfuss is about it. He knows drat well how sexist it is, but he is too in love with it to change it and instead tries to insult the reader preemptively.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Screaming Idiot posted:

fixed for accuracy as one came before the other

I was speaking in terms of quality and subject, not which came first.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
:ohdear: Does Dean Koontz need a STD test? Semen should not burn.

Seriously though, has it ever occurred to these guys to just ask a woman for input or comment?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Samuringa posted:

(John Varley, Please Enter)

Thanks, this makes me call even more for the death of the white man.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks, this makes me call even more for the death of the white man.

A sad but inevitable call.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Varley also made a big chart about how his centaur aliens that speak in music reproduce:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dienes posted:

What's really telling in this one is how defensive Rothfuss is about it. He knows drat well how sexist it is, but he is too in love with it to change it and instead tries to insult the reader preemptively.

Hell, that entire arc just shows how incredibly infantile the whole book is when it comes to women. Early on Rothfuss gives Kvothe the one designated flaw that he's "useless with women", which mostly just meant that he didn't pick up on their signals when they inexplicably threw themselves at him. So what does he do to "cure" Kvothe of that flaw? Perhaps have him meet somebody, have a relationship, and grow as a person?

Nah. Instead Kvothe goes into a forest, meets an Actual Sex Goddess, impresses her with how good at sex he is despite being a virgin, and learns how to be the best at sex. And that's it. He has sex once and after that he becomes Ladykiller incarnate, easily seducing just about every woman he wants, except for the designated love interest.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

C.M. Kruger posted:

Varley also made a big chart about how his centaur aliens that speak in music reproduce:

The first one might win on the “grotesque racism” front, but this sure wins on the “why” front.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Labes for days posted:

The first one might win on the “grotesque racism” front, but this sure wins on the “why” front.

Well you see, SF is the literature of extrapolation, and once you create centaur aliens with a dick and vag in the back and either a dick or a vag in front you naturally have to extrapolate all their possible reproductive combos. That's SCIENCE. You would be failing the ethos of SF if you didn't get that poo poo properly tabulated. And published.

:shoots self:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Rice is basically "what if Stephenie Meyer but GAY VAMPIRES" as far as I remember.

Not really. Rice built a pretty complete world with a ton of lore explaining everything you could possibly want to know about her vampires. The thing that struck me most about Meyer, and always comes to mind when people talk about how the books could be better, is the total lack of interest in really expanding the story beyond the two characters falling in love and Bella's fairytale ending. As I've said, I don't really like Rice that much but Twilight is such a poor copy that it makes me appreciate her work a little more.