Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for kicking out my friend which means she'll basically lose custody of her child?

I mean drat, if you cant make it a single day without letting your kid destroy property in the house someone is letting you stay for free, much less irreplaceable entire albums of photos, maybe you really shouldnt have custody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah that's horrible and absolutely kick them, but at least the house didn't burn down. Surely your photographer husband kept digital copies of some of them somewhere, if not sent copies to the grandparents/extended family?

Started reading assuming it was photos from 20 years ago and the negatives were lost to time.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Should I [20M] do anything about my boyfriend [25M] being licked and dry-humped by a friend who likes him [late 20sM]?

quote:

Basically, my boyfriend and I are part of an online group of friends. One of those friends had expressed interest in dating him a bit before we started to date (he said no due to his living far away). I didn't think much of it later until he asked me for permission to kiss my boyfriend during the meetup (wtf?). It's important to note that the friend is an artist, so my boyfriend didn't find it weird because he thought he was asking for permission to draw their characters kissing (something normal in our group). My opinion is that, since he'd drawn them kissing in the past before, he wouldn't have asked me for permission for that. But I digress.

A couple weeks ago, we met that group for the first time in real life. During this time, the friend was very touchy with everyone. He'd poke people, hug others, lift them up, and dry hump them. He did this to my boyfriend too, which made me uncomfortable. I didn't say anything at the time because it seemed to be friendly and not romantic, but still.

Last night, I learned that, while I was gone, this friend got drunk. My boyfriend said he didn't like germs, so this friend licked him. My boyfriend didn't tell me anything because "he didn't think it was a sexy lick." He was the only person licked.

Learning this made me incredibly uncomfortable, to the point where I almost cancelled his coming over this weekend. We talked about it and everything is fine but now I'm left wondering whether my feeling uncomfortable is reasonable, or is I'm just being an rear end. Thank you!

tl; dr: person who likes my boyfriend licked him and I wasn't okay with it. Am I dumb?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for reporting the well liked college professor that slept with my (ex)girlfriend?

Edit: At the time that this happened my ex and I were still dating.

I (21M)am about to enter my final year of school. I major in a stem field. At this point, all of the people in my major pretty much know each other, most of us have had mutual classes together, and we tend to see each other at events and conferences. There is one very charismatic professor that most students in this major take. I have taken him, as have most of my fiends. He is really friendly, and an easy grader. Most of us see his class as a GPA booster. This semester my ex girlfriend (19F) was taking his class. I noticed that she was getting a lot of personal texts from this professor and she started staying late in his office hours very frequently. I wanted to think she wasn’t doing well in his class, but the class is easy street compared to what we have taken thus far.

I admit I’m a bit of an rear end in a top hat for this part, but I snooped through her phone. I found some very inappropriate texts from this professor to her. I was so stunned. I couldn’t believe it. I verified that it was his phone number through a mutual friend. I confronted her about this immediately. She tried to deny it at first but when I asked her about the texts she admitted that she had been sleeping with him for TWO MONTHS. I told her to pack her poo poo and get out. Then I emailed the dean. We set up a meeting where I showed him the texts and told him what happened. A couple of other girls came forward too. Now this guy is in the process of being fired (I don’t know what that entails).

He has reached out to some students I guess telling them what happened. Someone, I assume my ex, has told them that I was responsible for him getting into trouble. Now several people on my major think I’m a huge rear end in a top hat. I’ve been told I should have handled it in private instead of getting jealous. I have been given the whole “consenting adults” speech. I have been iced out of a couple of end of the year events, and it really loving sucks. I do feel bad about the man losing his job, and apparently he was married. Am I an rear end in a top hat for what I did?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Maybe you shouldn't gently caress your students if you don't want to lose your job and marriage.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for reporting the well liked college professor that slept with my (ex)girlfriend?

In situations like these, does anything happen to the students who slept with the professor?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

cumshitter posted:

As your homosexual superior I command you all to name your children after me and to raise your sons gay and strong. My failed parenting has nothing to do with this, it is your moral obligation to do so. I'm just telling you what you need to hear because nobody else is brave enough to say it.

my daughters will be named after you and be the strongest butch lesbians there are. although im thinking of going with the female cumshitte

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

In situations like these, does anything happen to the students who slept with the professor?

From the school, no. From their peers, probably shaming.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dazerbeams posted:

They are typically told to cut that poo poo out and gently caress other students, but otherwise nothing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

It's a long and storied name. What do you think C.S. Lewis is short for?

As an immortal and ageless homosexual superman it's been strange seeing people mistake Turkish Delight for a candy instead of the anal sex I was originally trying to convey. Modern readers don't understand the contempt the 1950's audience I wrote for had for the Turks as a former Axis power.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

therobit posted:

From the school, no. From their peers, probably shaming.

Sounds like the only person being shamed by their peers is the boyfriend for being upset the cool professor had been loving his girlfriend for months.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

cumshitter posted:

As an immortal and ageless homosexual superman it's been strange seeing people mistake Turkish Delight for a candy instead of the anal sex I was originally trying to convey. Modern readers don't understand the contempt the 1950's audience I wrote for had for the Turks as a former Axis power.

http://objection.lol/objection/22084

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for publicly humiliating a guy who sent me an unsolicited picture of his junk and getting him fired?

I (29F) was playing a dungeons and dragons game at a local game shop that met up through an app and "Josh" the DM (22?M) was a part time employee there. We had a game every other Monday with only a few missed sessions and it was all going well. I was happy to play as I usually DM. Then Josh started texting me outside of the group chat.

It was just friendly talk. I was nice back but didn't really push the conversation along. After about 2 weeks of texting he asked about my personal dating life and I told him very clearly that I am gay and have a girlfriend of 4 years. After that he kind of retracted, but he seemed to take it in stride. Everything was fine at our next session

Last Saturday night I was home and he texts asking if I'm awake. I say yes and ask if everything’s ok. He says he wants to hang out. I tell him I'm in for the night with my girlfriend and going to bed soon but (redirecting here) maybe at our next session the whole group can plan a little DND Christmas party. He sends eyeroll emojis and says he'd rather it be us two, but "maybe [my] girlfriend can join too so [we] can worship his stallion cock” then sends me a nude. I tell him he's way out of line and he needs to stop texting me before I show everyone in our group. He begs me not to, so I say I won't.

He texts me the next day and apologizes and begs me not to tell anyone. He says he was blacked out and would never do something like that. I told him what he did was unacceptable but if he agrees not to text me inappropriately again I'd forgive him and not mention it. He agreed.

My girlfriend tells me I'm being too nice and I shouldn't forgive him so easily. I thought about it and decided she’s right and I should teach him a lesson. I waited til our next session. He looked nervous when he saw me but I just acted like everything was normal. I waited til everyone got there then briefly excused myself. As I was walking back, I sent a screenshot of my and Josh' text convo. I covered his weiner with eyeroll emojis. Immediate chaos. Josh went white as a sheet and everyone was shouting. He was stammering trying to explain but the store owner came over and yells above the noise and asked what the hell was going on. Everyone looks at Josh but he’s frozen so I hand her my phone to see. She looks and just tells Josh he’s fired and to get the gently caress out of her store. He bolts and the owner hands me my phone and walks away.

It was really awkward after that. We all kind of gathered our stuff and made halfhearted plans to start a new campaign and left. Group chat was dead, but two of the other players have texted me individually and expressed that they were mad cause I ruined the game and I should have addressed it with him privately instead of embarrassing him and getting him fired. I just didn't respond, but it did get me thinking I maybe could have handled that better. AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

I mean drat, if you cant make it a single day without letting your kid destroy property in the house someone is letting you stay for free, much less irreplaceable entire albums of photos, maybe you really shouldnt have custody

The story presents 0 reasons the dad shouldnt get the full custody hes seeking, so uh yeah, make her homeless

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for publicly humiliating a guy who sent me an unsolicited picture of his junk and getting him fired?

LOL@ the fuckin nerds angry their game was ruined by a perv

She handled that just fine given the circumstances

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Now several people on my major think I’m a huge rear end in a top hat. I’ve been told I should have handled it in private instead of getting jealous. I have been given the whole “consenting adults” speech. I have been iced out of a couple of end of the year events, and it really loving sucks. I do feel bad about the man losing his job, and apparently he was married. Am I an rear end in a top hat for what I did?

These people were definitely loving this professor, too

Also he did handle this privately, by only reporting him to the dean instead of to a newspaper

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
At least he didn't try to roleplay rape her in-game, I guess. I'm imagining that would've been the next step though, if she hadn't shut him down and got him fired. Motherfuckers always escalate

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

zakharov posted:

Let's journey to Legal Advice UK for someone we can all hate.

I know this is from a while back, but as many people here aren't from the UK I want to make a couple of things clear:

• Landlords can 100% legally issue a section 21 notice for no reason and evict people from their homes. Not a nice thing for the family but whatever, that's the problem with renting.
  • If the landlord was going to evict someone via courts, and he said he would do so if the family were still there by 1 December there's no way in a million years that the court order to evict the tenants would be produced by 25 December for his family to visit
  • Landlords are not allowed to attempt to physically evict you or change the locks on the property unless a court order has been issued

Dude is a great example of everything wrong with renting in the UK. Even putting aside whether section 21 notices are fair, he's a loving idiot who has no idea what his legal duties and responsibilities are, and if I were those tenants I'd sue the poo poo out of him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kitchner posted:

I know this is from a while back, but as many people here aren't from the UK I want to make a couple of things clear:

• Landlords can 100% legally issue a section 21 notice for no reason and evict people from their homes. Not a nice thing for the family but whatever, that's the problem with renting.
  • If the landlord was going to evict someone via courts, and he said he would do so if the family were still there by 1 December there's no way in a million years that the court order to evict the tenants would be produced by 25 December for his family to visit
  • Landlords are not allowed to attempt to physically evict you or change the locks on the property unless a court order has been issued

Dude is a great example of everything wrong with renting in the UK. Even putting aside whether section 21 notices are fair, he's a loving idiot who has no idea what his legal duties and responsibilities are, and if I were those tenants I'd sue the poo poo out of him.

I am constantly amazed the UK working class hasn't murdered the idiots that call themselves leaders yet. It's worse than the US and that's really saying something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’ve been told I should have handled it in private instead of getting jealous.

OP did handle it in private. It was cheating girlfriend who spilled the beans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VanSandman posted:

I am constantly amazed the UK working class hasn't murdered the idiots that call themselves leaders yet. It's worse than the US and that's really saying something.

They've spent centuries hammering it into them to obey anyone with a posh accent.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For reacting with anger when I hear my sister in law went through her car's windshield?

(Edit: I appreciate the input from everyone, from this post I'm taking "You're an rear end in a top hat for not containing your feelings in that moment, which would have been better for your wife." Heard. Hopefully I can grow from this.)

​She's a mother and she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Her life is in jeopardy at this exact moment, and my wife freaked out on me because I got angry when I heard she went through the windshield. It seems like a perfectly normal reaction to me, if it was my sister I'd be so angry at her for not wearing her seatbelt.

​Alright, more info

I'm home with my son he's on Christmas break. My wife is at work. My phone rings. "[My sister] got in a car accident." "Oh no! Is she alive?" "Yes, she's got a broken hip she went through her windshield." "Holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with her she wasn't wearing her seatbelt she's a mother!" *wife hangs up on me*

I then text her that I got angry because she's a) alive and b) wouldn't be so hurt if she wasn't a moron. My wife texts back she's being airlifted to the hospital with bleeding on the brain.

​If it's relevant my sister in law is about the dumbest human being I've ever known in real life. It's real in character for her to end up dead because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. She also cut us out of her life a while ago, along with her entire family. Does a lot of drugs. Her daughter lives with her grandmother.

​She lives in a different state. She's in her late twenties and has a daughter from when she was a teen.

I'm on the spectrum, if you care. Expecting hyper advanced social skills like "Feel that way but don't express it in the moment" isn't really realistic. (Edit: I'd just remove this line since my intent in including it has been so widely misinterpreted but as it's all sort of an evolving dialogue I'll leave it in.)

​Update: She's going to be ok. She didn't go through the windshield, she slammed her head into it, and it wasn't bleeding on the brain but swelling. At this point my wife is super worried that they're going to give her pain meds and she's going to get addicted, because that's the sort of thing she'd do.

​I appreciate the input from everyone, from this post I'm taking "You're an rear end in a top hat for not containing your feelings in that moment, which would have been better for your wife." Heard. Hopefully I can grow from this.

​Edit after reading comments: Am I the rear end in a top hat for feeling angry. Not am I the rear end in a top hat for telling my wife I was angry at that moment. I brought up being on the spectrum to explain that that overshare in that moment was pretty much inevitable. This is my wife, not a stranger on the street, I don't have all my defenses up, I act naturally, which for me is saying what I feel. I get it, I should be more tactful, this is not news. In 33 years I've gotten ok at being tactful in job interviews, it's not a skill I have turned on automatically when speaking to my SO of twelve years. I'm not offering autism as an excuse for anything, I bring it up in the hopes people would stop calling me the rear end in a top hat for being tactless and answer my question, does being mad make me an rear end in a top hat.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

quote:

I (18F) found out that my mom (42F) has been lying about why my dad (45M) "abandoned" me 15 years ago. I don't know how to move forward.
/r/all
For most of my life I was just raised by my mother, since my father left us when I was 3, and we are very close. My mom has always been vague about the details of the divorce, just that it was very painful and sudden, and that he never had interest in getting custody of me.

A couple months ago I was going through documents looking for my birth certificate, and I came across their divorce papers. Surprisingly, my mom was listed as the one who filed for divorce, contradicting her story that he left us. I figured there must have been a reason for this, like him being abusive, but I know that my mom is sensitive about the topic so I didn't want to bring it up. I asked my aunt, her sister, but I was just told to drop it.

It's been bugging me, so I found him on Facebook. His profile was completely private, but his profile picture showed him with a little boy, who must be my brother. I found his business email online, and against my better judgement I emailed him asking if he would like to meet for coffee. He agreed.

Last week we met, and he was completely not what I was expecting. He was THRILLED to see me, almost cried, and wanted to hear everything I had been up to for the past 15 years. I asked why he left, and that's when I got his side of the story:

Towards the end of their marriage, my father confessed to my mom that he is bisexual, and that during high school and college he had a serious boyfriend. He was ashamed of his sexuality, which was why he hid it from my more traditional mom. My mom was angry, but didn't divorce him because of it. After the divorce he began dating his boyfriend again, and my mom freaked out over me being "exposed" to this. My mom petitioned for full custody, and was granted it. Over the years my father has attempted to reach out to my mom about me, but she has never budged.

I asked my mom about what really happened, no bullshit. I told her dad's side of the story, and she tearfully admitted that it was true. She insists it was not out of anger or bigotry, but because she genuinely believed that it was best for me to stay with her.

I am just so shocked still. She lied to me for years, making me think my own father did not want me. My dad and I are reconnecting now, but I have missed so much. Next week I am going to meet his husband and my 7 year old brother. I live with my mom, but I can't speak to her right now. She is begging me to forgive her, but I'm so angry and I don't know how I'll ever not be angry with her.

This one is hilarious because a bunch of redditors are defending the mom saying it was a different time back then, like 15 years ago was the 1970s. "It was a different time then...it was 2004...Hillary Clinton was against gay marriage....it was six Spider-mans ago..."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bananaquiter posted:

She insists it was not out of anger or bigotry, but because she genuinely believed that it was best for me to stay with her.

And what is it that makes her genuinely believe that :thunk:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bananaquiter posted:

This one is hilarious because a bunch of redditors are defending the mom saying it was a different time back then, like 15 years ago was the 1970s. "It was a different time then...it was 2004...Hillary Clinton was against gay marriage....it was six Spider-mans ago..."
Of course, the giant flaw in the reasoning is that even if you want to play the "stuff was different in 2004" card, that still doesn't explain why mom was still pushing that narrative in 2019. Like, to get the real story, the kid had to stumble upon the divorce paperwork, track dad down on Facebook and Google, and ask the question herself - if she hadn't needed his birth certificate for driver's license paperwork or whatever, kid would *still* be thinking dad walked out.

EDIT: Fixed a typo in the gender of kid, must have skimmed past the title too quick.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 22, 2019

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MagusofStars posted:

Of course, the giant flaw in the reasoning is that even if you want to play the "stuff was different in 2004" card, that still doesn't explain why she was still pushing that narrative in 2019. Like, to get the real story, the kid had to stumble upon the divorce paperwork, track dad down on Facebook and Google, and ask the question himself - if he hadn't needed his birth certificate for driver's license paperwork or whatever, he'd *still* be thinking dad walked out.

She*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"It wasn't out of anger or bigotry that I isolated you textbook abuser style from the people who you loved and were loved by it's because I love you and thought it was best for you"

:fuckoff:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 22, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

That kid should move in with Dad and never speak to Mom again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Merry Christmas: have a success story for once.

My (38f) boyfriend (42m) says I'm way to sensitive Relationships
submitted 4 days ago by Redflagboyfriend

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for a few months and he is pretty awesome but we have one issue that keeps popping up and I'm kind of at a loss on what to do.

Whenever I say something that he does not like, he pretty much ghosts me for a few days and then calls me to let me know how what I said affected him which is usually promptly followed with a "if you keep doing this, I'm going to have to break up with you."

Here's an example of a recent situation, hopefully it will better explain what I'm talking about.

One of my friends asked if I was available for brunch on a Saturday morning, she's been having some issues with her BF and just needed to talk it out. I told my BF what my plans were and his response was "that's fine but I do feel like I'm not a priority" we had no prior plans so I was dumbfounded. My response was "my friends are important to me but that's doesn't mean that you aren't a priority." after that, he went quiet.

Three days later, he called me and said that I was prioritizing our relationship but instead only prioritizing when it was convenient for me and that if I continued acting this way then he'd have to break up with me. I was blown away by his comments because I didn't even get a chance to tell him that my friend was having an issue so he just jumped to this huge conclusion and I felt threatened.

The next day I spoke with him and told him that his comments were emotional blackmail and that when he makes the remark "if you do this, I'm going to break up with you" that it makes me really anxious because I don't know how he is going to interpret or assume because he doesn't ask any questions or let me get the whole story out. He basically told me that I am really sensitive and that he is just being honest and I have to deal with it because I'm not as emotional intelligent as him.

I feel like I'm getting gaslit, I'm now questioning myself if I'm feeling the right thing or if I'm actually blowing this up and he is actually right.

Tl:Dr boyfriend jumps to conclusions when I say something he doesn't like. Tells me constantly that he'll just break up with me if I keep doing it. I'm really anxious saying anything now because I don't know how he'll react to anything I say.

(update) My (38f) boyfriend (42m) says I'm way to sensitive [new]
submitted 13 hours ago * by Redflagboyfriend

quote:

I'm on my phone but I wanted to give an update because people like them. First off, thank you for all the replies. Emotional manipulation is hard especially in a relationship. For me, I like to see the goodness in people and I trust people, which are great qualities, it can also set me up as a target. Thank you for confirming what I was seeing and feeling, it's difficult to see these abuse tactics from inside, so much so that you start to actually think what this person is speaking truth because why would they tell you differently. I mean why would your partner be intentionally hurtful?

On to the update

I didn't want to ghost him because I think that's mean so I sent him a short text that said "I don't feel that we should see each other anymore. I wish you the best of luck."

He sent me a couple of wtf texts, with the last one saying "you didn't honor your promise to me. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but you don't keep promises." Followed up with "I'm a really awesome person, you'll come to your senses and figure it out. Let me know when you are brave enough to be an adult relationship." Ending with that "I don't deserve to be treated this way and I will not tolerate it but you're amazing and I love you. Please don't contact me again"

There was more, it was pretty lengthy but that's the core of the message.

I read it and said oh okay, don't worry to myself and blocked him.

So not a big drama, it's just over and I'm done. I'm going to take some time to myself and do some home projects that I've been meaning to work on and enjoy the holidays with my friends and family.

Tl,Dr I broke with him and said some stuff, I blocked him and taking time for myself

ETA:I just woke up and was reading all the comments while drinking my morning coffee. I wanted to say thank you to all of you for your kind words. I'm really touched by your words of encouragement and shared experiences.

Thank you to the kind stranger for the gold!

We don't know each other but I truly feel like I have a hundred people in my corner supporting me, it's feels really good. So thank you!

I also want to let you all know that I have blocked him on all forms of communication IG, FB, text, email, the works! But I'm totally prepared if he ever tries to reach out again, I think silence is the best road to take on this one.

Thank you again for the support, it means more than I can express. I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday and 2020 is everything that you want it to be!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Jesus, she was way, way nicer than she needed to be. "You're awesome and I love you" wtf? Tell him what he needs to hear: "You're a piece of poo poo and I can do better than some insecure manipulative fuckwad threatened by my friendships."

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Motronic posted:

guy sounds like hes reciting lines he read on some loving mra website

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Dienes posted:

Jesus, she was way, way nicer than she needed to be. "You're awesome and I love you" wtf?

That was from the text he sent to her.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dienes posted:

Jesus, she was way, way nicer than she needed to be. "You're awesome and I love you" wtf? Tell him what he needs to hear: "You're a piece of poo poo and I can do better than some insecure manipulative fuckwad threatened by my friendships."

That's was the ex's response to her breaking up with him. It took me a bit to figure that out too because of how it was written. And knowing that it was him makes it even worse.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting the bagel that was in the display case?

So stick with me here. I’m at a resort where there’s nothing for miles so everything to do is onsite. I’m in line with my young son and he’s talking about wanting a plain bagel with cream cheese. The couple in front of us says “we were going to get 2 but there’s only 2 left we’ll leave one for your son”...my son said thank you and that was it. They order and there is one plain bagel left. I order it and the woman behind the counter says “oh sorry that ones mine”...I kind of laugh and say oh ok but yeah with cream cheese. And she says “no, that’s mine, I always have one here”. My son is kind of looking at me confused and says “I just want the bagel”. So I ask if she brought it from home or something that I’m missing and she says “no, I always have one here we just sold more than usual so that ones mine”. The manager walks over, talks to the girl behind the counter and then dramatically takes the bagel out of the case, puts it on the back counter and says “since you clearly didn’t hear her the first time, now you can pick from what’s in our display case”.

There was no one behind me and I’m literally thinking I’m in the twilight zone. I’ll never go back there after being spoken to that way but I’m really curious if I’m missing something here.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Motronic posted:

That's was the ex's response to her breaking up with him. It took me a bit to figure that out too because of how it was written. And knowing that it was him makes it even worse.

at least it sounds like the girl was smart enough that it didn't get to her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for saying no to major chores while wife enjoys holiday overseas?

So a couple of months ago it was announced after 20 years with same company I would be made redundant. This was meant to be a good thing as i could spend the summer holidays with our daughter (5) who had started school for 2 weeks then hit the summer holidays. I've never had a chance to have time off with her before. Instead my wife announces we are going to China (where she grew up and her parents still live). She knows I do not enjoy visiting, especially mid winter. She talked me in to it by saying we would travel, which I am keen to do, great wall and terracotta warriors specifically mentioned.

Once the trip was booked she says.. "oh we wont be able to see those things the weather makes travel hard, but we will do day trips out to other cities". Even that I could handle, but the day we arrive she days we wont be doing that either. What happened was just as I feared (and as usual) I'm left to look after daughter in a small apartment in winter, while my wife relaxes in her old room, watching tv, making models and lego (her hobbies), being pampered by her parents and having lunches with her friends. I had organised to return 5 days early to home, knowing I would want some time too.

It is now a few days until I leave and she has handede a list of chores to do like wash our house, move furniture, stuff she wants done, and will take most of my time. I said no, she will have had a months holiday doing everything she loves, while my few days are filled by tasks she wants... I also pointed out she had denied me a month of summer holidays with our daughter (yes ive had lots of time in China with her, but stuck in a small apartment vs parks and playgrounds back home is not even close to the same). I am now getting the cold shoulder and feel so isolated in a strange boring place. Am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting a few days to myself after the last couple of months I've had?

Update: Hey all thanks for the comments so far. Just to clarify, I agreed to the holiday believing we would travel out of town. This is not usual behaviour from my wife, hence I am so caught out, and am unable to travel myself as I can speak very little Chinese. I also have a new job lined up in the new year.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for saying no to major chores while wife enjoys holiday overseas?

So a couple of months ago it was announced after 20 years with same company I would be made redundant. This was meant to be a good thing as i could spend the summer holidays with our daughter (5) who had started school for 2 weeks then hit the summer holidays. I've never had a chance to have time off with her before. Instead my wife announces we are going to China (where she grew up and her parents still live). She knows I do not enjoy visiting, especially mid winter. She talked me in to it by saying we would travel, which I am keen to do, great wall and terracotta warriors specifically mentioned.

Once the trip was booked she says.. "oh we wont be able to see those things the weather makes travel hard, but we will do day trips out to other cities". Even that I could handle, but the day we arrive she days we wont be doing that either. What happened was just as I feared (and as usual) I'm left to look after daughter in a small apartment in winter, while my wife relaxes in her old room, watching tv, making models and lego (her hobbies), being pampered by her parents and having lunches with her friends. I had organised to return 5 days early to home, knowing I would want some time too.

It is now a few days until I leave and she has handede a list of chores to do like wash our house, move furniture, stuff she wants done, and will take most of my time. I said no, she will have had a months holiday doing everything she loves, while my few days are filled by tasks she wants... I also pointed out she had denied me a month of summer holidays with our daughter (yes ive had lots of time in China with her, but stuck in a small apartment vs parks and playgrounds back home is not even close to the same). I am now getting the cold shoulder and feel so isolated in a strange boring place. Am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting a few days to myself after the last couple of months I've had?

Update: Hey all thanks for the comments so far. Just to clarify, I agreed to the holiday believing we would travel out of town. This is not usual behaviour from my wife, hence I am so caught out, and am unable to travel myself as I can speak very little Chinese. I also have a new job lined up in the new year.

Took until the second read-through to realize that he's probably Australian/New Zealand and the summer holiday is now which is winter in China. Gee I R Smart.

That said, reading it the first time makes me wonder if she plans on coming home with the kid or just staying there. But who the hell travels to their kids grandparents then leaves the kid in an apartment? Something sounds rather hosed up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Nope, you absolutely should have told his boss and got him fired.

I'd imagine sending his nudes to everyone could be an issue, but funny though.

My wife works with a woman who had one of those ambien episodes and sent nudes to a bunch of folks at work.

Don't do drugs if you're going to take naked pictures and send them out is the message here.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
WIBTA for deliberately having my daughters not help at a dinner party?

quote:

All names have been changed.

My(26f) daughters are 4, and 5 years old respectively.

We have been invited to a close family friend's, Evelyn(45f) house for Christmas Eve dinner party, a low key one. Evelyn told me tonight over text that she won't give me too much to do, or my daughter's but the stuff she does want them to do is stuff like give the men/boys sodas/juices/water if they ask for them, and hand stuff to the other women in the kitchen. I will be helping in the kitchen. I asked her if this was specifically because we were females, she said yes. She comes from a traditional type of family.

I figured I'd help anyway, and even with the sexist reason she wants me to help, I'm totally fine with helping. That being said, I am not fine with my daughters helping. They are too young to be doing anything more than enjoying the atmosphere of a dinner party with family/friends, in my opinion. Plus, I'm personally not raising them to serve men. Being helpful is great, but men aren't these idiots who can't do things for themselves nor are they deserving of special treatment for just being dudes.
That being said, it is her house. I might not agree with her way of life, but I don't want to disrespect her, especially in her own home. I'm thinking of just not going, but she is going to ask why, and I won't lie to her.

I thought about just sucking it up, but it's just not sitting right by me. So WIBTA for having my daughters not help?

loving vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

VanSandman posted:

The only good thing about the whole scenario is that if you were aware enough to know all this and you are able to sue the landlord they will probably have to pay £300 per day for every day you were locked out of the house, and then let you back in until a court order is served to evict you.