Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Xarbala posted:

I'm still impressed by the depths to which the CODA content goes all in on time shenanigans based on powers that were originally presented as just a gameplay conceit without narrative impact.

Though I'm horrified by the amount of effort required to actually see it.

At this point it should surprise no one that I am an apologist for this game's worst tendencies, but I feel this one has merit.

The CODA was initially DLC in Japan for this game. Each chapter was released on it's own. So the original intent was that you would have devoured everything the game had to offer, and then come back when the DLCs released with a super strong party to crush the chapters and see the content.

That still doesn't fix the major issue with CODA 2 being a kick in the loving dick (or vagina, there are lady Tactics Ogre fans) for making you redo the PoTD if you didn't have the right flags for your cleared save data. But it helps with understanding the intent of why the CODA is designed like it is.

In the USA, we got all of the content for free with the game, but of course it's so incredibly time intensive to get to, that no reviewer for the game ever saw how amazing the CODA writing and story was. Which is why you have Kotaku writing about how the ending of Knight of Lodis "redeems" the game in 2017.

If you can't tell, the entire premise of that article pisses me off which is why I am going to great lengths in this chapter to show off that Knight of Lodis wasn't just an after thought to the team, but rather a conscious effort to stay consistent with the story, themes, and lore of Knight of Lodis.

I'm not going to tip my hand on this first run through CODA 4, a) we have to redo it, and b) I'm buying time for me to play through Knight of Lodis since Fire Emblem kind of took up all of my time for 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait till we cap the CODA efforts with killing ourselves as we're in the midst of the war crimes we became infamous for.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

This is a test post. I've really gotta get you guys some gifs of some of the more memorable moments. Let me know if this posts good and you can see it without much difficulty.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Looks good on mobile, though if the text box at the beginning isn't important, you should cut it out entirely.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Slow it down, it looks great and loads fine but the text goes too fast to read.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Cool. The text isnt important. I just wanted to make sure a gif of roughly that long would load and that it was big enough to see the spite work.

Thanks guys. It'll probably be close to halloween/start of the month for CODA 4 Pt. 3 vause I got a good amount of gifs to make, and some juvenile jokes to make.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

FairGame posted:

Slow it down, it looks great and loads fine but the text goes too fast to read.

Same as him. Looks great, can't read the text.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

Cool. The text isnt important. I just wanted to make sure a gif of roughly that long would load and that it was big enough to see the spite work.

Thanks guys. It'll probably be close to halloween/start of the month for CODA 4 Pt. 3 vause I got a good amount of gifs to make, and some juvenile jokes to make.

Mate, I literally made episode 69 one long "nice" joke, this place is nothing but juvenile humour

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I just got Ambicion in my playthrough and trying to get that and all the other items was a loving slog...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
How is everything, waah? I'm just checking for a pulse because I cannot tell you how badly I want this LP to be completed and archived. Of all the great LPs that I've seen that didn't go the distance, I think that this one would be the most tragic to see go "poof!" I'd offer to help you if I though that I could be any use whatever.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If Waah falls this close to the finish line, I'll pick it up and finish it off at this stage. We'll work something out.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

How is everything, waah? I'm just checking for a pulse because I cannot tell you how badly I want this LP to be completed and archived. Of all the great LPs that I've seen that didn't go the distance, I think that this one would be the most tragic to see go "poof!" I'd offer to help you if I though that I could be any use whatever.

A promise is a promise. I'm also a dad and a member of super work yourself to the bone capitalism, and the two don't leave as much time for LP entries as I'd like. So you can always tell when my kids are sleeping well and my workload is light by when there's a flurry of updates. Ahem.

I keep an eye on the 2 month timer don't you worry, we're only at 21 days since a post. :negative:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

A promise is a promise. I'm also a dad and a member of super work yourself to the bone capitalism, and the two don't leave as much time for LP entries as I'd like. So you can always tell when my kids are sleeping well and my workload is light by when there's a flurry of updates. Ahem.

I keep an eye on the 2 month timer don't you worry, we're only at 21 days since a post. :negative:

I figured it as much, and you have my sympathy even though I am only a parent to two adorable pussycats. I work in the public sector, but my job is the type where I work seven days a week for months, and then do gently caress all for long periods of time. I fancy that you are lacking in the "gently caress all" category.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sensing a running theme here is "parents who like srpgs"

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

Sensing a running theme here is "parents who like srpgs"

More like SRPGs on portable systems that can be stopped at a moments notice and picked back up after whatever crisis are the best games for parents.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Take your time! Patience is a virtue.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

waah posted:

More like SRPGs on portable systems that can be stopped at a moments notice and picked back up after whatever crisis are the best games for parents.

ding ding ding

There are about 500 PC or console games I’d like to play but more often than not I only have time for a TO battle or two on my Vita. It’s still more satisfying than iPhone games :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bregor posted:

ding ding ding

There are about 500 PC or console games I’d like to play but more often than not I only have time for a TO battle or two on my Vita. It’s still more satisfying than iPhone games :v:

Rolling on the Gacha for a 5* Vyse

Only pulled a 2* Hawkman with a -atk IV.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

I don't get this, but I think that I am better off not

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't get this, but I think that I am better off not

Imagine spending real money to get a chance at a character that has a small chance to appear, and have natures (ie, their natural stats will be plus, or minus to a particular stat)

the higher the rarity of the character, the more stats they have, and many "good" characters are locked to 5* rarity - IE Low drop rates.

It's like that one scene from the simpsons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krbl911ZPBA

"I got a 5* Vyse"
"That's good!"
"It's -atk"
"That's bad"
"He comes with sturdy impact - that I can give to someone else"
"that's good!"
"You'll lose the character if you inherit the skill to someone else. "
"...."
"That's bad."

If that sounds horrific to you, congratulations I just described the concept of a "Gacha" mobile game, and now you're well warned to avoid them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Well, I was better of not knowing, but no fear... I don't even play Pokemon games.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It's not Pokemon, it's Fire Emblem Heroes.

Most gacha aren't that terrible, at least. They'll still screw you over with low appearance rates, sure, but they won't then further screw you over with "you got a character you wanted, but they suck a lot!" or having what feels like most of the character building locked behind gacha.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

LiefKatano posted:

It's not Pokemon, it's Fire Emblem Heroes.

Most gacha aren't that terrible, at least. They'll still screw you over with low appearance rates, sure, but they won't then further screw you over with "you got a character you wanted, but they suck a lot!" or having what feels like most of the character building locked behind gacha.

I meant that I don't even play games like Pokemon that are oriented towards collect-a-thons, and Pokemon doesn't have microtransactions with random rewards... that I know of - Sword & Shield did just come out.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Well if you want to really feel lovely about the possibilities of a new Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle, listen to the SDGC Top 100 game of all time.

Then hear half of them talk about how they've never heard of Ogre Battle and hear them pronounce it phonetically as "Ogre Battle Lukt" for a few minutes.

Nothing like that to break my spirit.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Significant progress on an update was made today. I'd be looking forward to a Christmas miracle.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

waah posted:

Significant progress on an update was made today. I'd be looking forward to a Christmas miracle.

More of a miracle than snow in Golyat!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD - EPISODE 19 - I'm Super, Thanks For Asking!

Where Are We?

Currently, we're knee deep in the middle of CODA Pt. 4 in the Tactics Ogre Postgame. When we last left off, we needed to go further back into the past in order to change the future of Valeria. We’re in for a quite a ride these next two updates.

The scene pans down to a man stuck between two Dark Knights, Martymn and Barbas.

This man is obviously pretty drunk, and aching for a fight.

In a JRPG, when the bad guys over-estimate a character, it ends poorly for them.

I’m a broken record at this point, but the sprite work here is amazing.

I really appreciate how the game changes this guy’s name from “Ruddy Cheeked Man” to “Drunken Man” in just a few lines of dialogue. It’s clear this guy is used to running his mouth and having people back down.

I’d like to think the stuttering here is less him being drunk and him having a bit of fear overwhelm him as his common sense tries to overtake his beer muscles. However, it's too late for forgiveness.

The man is quickly cut down by Barbas. Which is a little weird considering Barbas wields a hammer in every instance you encounter him in. I understand that being whacked in the back with a hammer usually won’t kill people, but…

Well, hope you guys weren’t expecting Tactics Ogre to pull any punches in the CODA. We’re headed straight to tragedy town, grab some tissues and expect to feel awful.

Poor Vyce.

Don Quixote, does his best to hold his friend back from rushing in to save his father. And if you look carefully, you’ll notice that you can definitely tell the difference here in that Don Quixote is in his original sprite. That's your tell that it's Don Quixote from the past, and I really appreciate the continued consistency here.

The game uses this amazing character portrait for Vyce again (I believe it's the same one from his execution scene in chapter 3 Chaos), and you have to feel for the guy. For Vyce to be as much of a dick as he is throughout the game’s main story, this part of the CODA really starts to shed light on why Vyce is the way he is.

Denam and Vyce bravely run away, and the townsfolk come out of their houses to see what the commotion is. Knowing what we know, being nosey isn't a very smart move for those townsfolk’s life expectancy.

At this point, we’re beginning to be like the Baba Yaga of lore. Or medieval John Wicks, whichever you prefer.

Regardless, an army appearing out of nowhere and evading all detection and scouting is enough to shake even the most battle-hardened men.

Barbas says, this but he knows it can’t be entirely true. Golyat isn’t exactly the wealthiest of towns, the town folk and the descriptions of the town given both in game cutscenes, and in descriptions specifically say otherwise. So, to think that Golyat has a mercenary force on retainer is… well yeah.

False bravado is not exactly working out for people in this update Barbas. You might want to rethink your position.

Same deal as the other skirmishes in this chapter, your only real goal is to take out the Dark Knight commanders. But once they get site of Ozma, things begin to go off the rails quickly.

The one thing that irks me about Ozma’s characterization and her redemption arc is how easily she was able to ignore all of these red flags and her brother’s down right evilness during the original run of events. And yet, tribalism is a helluva drug so you can somewhat understand given current events. Tactics Ogre: giving a nuanced look at political discourse in 2019, 9 years in advance.

:drat:

Despite what it may look like, Ozma isn’t saying that these guys are raping people, in this case rapine is meant as looting. It makes sense then why these two would eventually turn on Lanselot and his plan. Martym and Barbas are addicted to war crimes, and are loyal to whoever can promise them more of what they crave.

These lines of dialogue are the equivalent of a guard dog growling before he pounces. With Barbas’s facial features resembling a bulldog, this is again an instance where the character portrait perfectly matches the dialogue on screen.

I really do apologize for stopping at almost every bit of dialogue here, but there’s some very important things happening here, and very specific word choice that is telling an amazing story.

Note what Ozma says here. She doesn’t say, she came to stop them, she says straight up she’s here to kill them. Ozma’s issuing judgment and passing a death sentence on these two men as she knows what actions they will commit and decides it’s not even worth trying to save her former comrades. Her loyalty is to Lodis even still as she fights with us; Lodis’s reputation must be upheld above all else. You all already knew we were far away from the typical JRPG tropes, but Ozma straight up saying she’s going to kill them is a) my line in the LP and I don't appreciate her stealing it and b) just not how we’re used to JRPG characters talking this way if they aren’t the main villain. Even more unsettling, there’s no response after this from Barbas or Martyn.

Oh… Not uh… not at all how I expected this to go.

You’re really striking out on the heartwarming speech here Vyce.

So Vyce is an unstable hot head with father issues, extremely powerful friends, and a bone to pick with the world that he feels has wronged him. Really stepping out of your wheelhouse here Square-Enix. But again, this should all of a sudden give you the reader a new understanding of Vyce. It explains why Vyce was so quick to run headfirst into certain death in hope for vengeance in the opening chapter.

It explains why Vyce so violently opposes murdering innocent civilians at the end of chapter 1 AND why he would also be all about it if he felt it would mean he could get vengeance against the Dark Knights. These 4 lines do an absolute amazing amount of work, and I promise if you go back and view Vyce’s earlier lines through this new lens, so many of his actions and motivations make a lot of sense. This was not the intended original story, but the way they retconned Vyce’s origins in this part of the CODA is brilliant.

Chapter 1 Ending Law

Vs

Chapter 1 Ending Chaos

I'd like to point out how incredibly hard it is to appreciate the character growth happening in the CODA when you're playing it for the first time (and even the second time). When you're more focused on ensuring the battle continues to go your way, it's tough to really sit and stew on each line. For me especially, it’s only when I get to come back out and write these updates and really stew on each line that I appreciate what’s happening. In this case, we see yet another example of Catuia growing from the selfish and at times, excessively clingy girl, to a woman who has matured enough to take on her role as royalty. Chapter 1 and 2 Catuia isn’t asking Vyce if he’s okay. She’s worried about herself, or that she’ll be abandoned because she’s fundamentally broken due to war trauma. Here, she’s displaying the qualities of a fine leader, worried about other before herself. Yet another small, but forceful shift in characterization that shows that the main three (Don Q, Vyce, and Catuia) are ready for their new roles post war. This is so much more effective than just a few words about how they became great leaders loved by all. If you're a writer and you want to see a great example of "show, don't tell", you look at these interactions compared with those in the opening chapters.

Moreover, this isn’t the Vyce we started with. He’d have charged in blind rage and we’d have to go save him, or he’d be dead. He’s angry no doubt, but self-aware and self-assured in a way that chapter 1 Vyce was not.

More about this later.

Of all the lines written by a woman and best delivered by a woman in a video game, this one has to rank up there with the best of them.

This is nothing but confidence, maturity, and ability all manifesting itself in Vyce. The CODA isn’t telling you these characters have changed, it’s yelling it at you with a stadium sized sound system.

Our armies smash together and you can guess who wins.
:allears:

I can’t help but to laugh at him calling us hedge knights.

I’ll begrudgingly give Martym respect here. He makes the right call in pointing out that there might be more ambushes laying in wait. Any army that can not only stand up to the Lodissians, but also best them is nothing to sneeze at. That’s not even getting into the fact that we appeared out of nowhere.

Barbas the attack dog is growling at us again.

We’re not done yet. Still further back to go. It’s finally time. Next update, we go face to face with Lanselot Tartaros himself, and boy is it a doozy of a fight. Well you know, it is when you’re not over-levelled and sporting broken characters and equipment.

And out of respect for Vyce, I saved this for last.

Welp, now we know why Don Quixote never had a love interest in this game, and why chaos Vyce acts more like a spurned lover than a rival.

Edit: my apologizes on the gif sizes being a bit off. I'll fix them in the coming week. I've been messing with a bunch of gifs in noteworthy moments, and I haven't seen how they act on the forums until now (because of course I had to tweak from the one i posted two months ago)

waah fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 23, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I like your analysis of why Vice is quick to jump ship regardless of whether you choose the Law or Chaos routes. That being said, can't remember where I read it, but in an interview with Matsuno, he said the real reason Vice breaks rank with you no matter was that was jealous of Denim, both being the favored son of the town famous pastor as well as having an actual family beyond a drunken alcoholic father that beat him on a regular basis, that he snapped during the Balmamusa event and just wanted to be his own man outside of Denim's shadow.

I personally prefer your version, but the lengths he goes to in the Chaos and Neutral routes are so different from his Law version that sometimes it's hard to see his motives as being anything beyond what he sees in the present moment. When seen in that light, jumping in to storm Ronwey's castle with full knowledge he's a wanted man and finding himself fighting Leonar instead of assassinating the Duke, is probably the only one of his machinations that succeeds, precisely because Denim is the only one who has his back in the end and they're fighting for a common goal again, as opposed to the alt versions of Vice, who are vehemently opposed to working with him no matter what.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

To add to the jealousy thing, IIRC Vyce has it bad for Catua who has it bad for Denam.

Meanwhile some of us just want to be liches.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

To add to the jealousy thing, IIRC Vyce has it bad for Catua who has it bad for Denam.

Meanwhile some of us just want to be liches.

Haven't played this version but yeah, in the duel with him during Ch2 Chaos, he says that Denim had a loving father and a beautiful sister, and if he dies in battle after you recruit him in Law, his last words are that he's always loved Catiua.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Hmm no I'm finding it hard to believe he's in love with Catiua.

Just a feeling.

What our heroes get up to in the alleyways behind bars aside, I'm struggling to remember the last game I played that had actual, show-don't-tell character arcs.
I'm a huge fan of using different character portraits to convey emotion. This game is a love letter to pixel art.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Shitenshi posted:

I like your analysis of why Vice is quick to jump ship regardless of whether you choose the Law or Chaos routes. That being said, can't remember where I read it, but in an interview with Matsuno, he said the real reason Vice breaks rank with you no matter was that was jealous of Denim, both being the favored son of the town famous pastor as well as having an actual family beyond a drunken alcoholic father that beat him on a regular basis, that he snapped during the Balmamusa event and just wanted to be his own man outside of Denim's shadow.

Yeah I dont doubt Matsuno's word (of course) and you probably explained what I wanted to say better than I did.

I probably should just boil it down to simply the three main characters are really pretty complicated characters with complex motivations. I don't think it's entirely out of the question that the CODA in parts was written to tackle some of the bigger complains the big three.

Regarding some of the other comments since the update, some of this gets covered very bluntly in 2 updates. It's one of the reasons why I really needed to make a metric crap ton of gifs because screenshots dont do it any justice.

I wanted to save the update for when one of our biggest fans came off of probation, but, I'm sure he's fine. He wont be off probation before the next update. Or will he???

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This is one of them good video games.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

waah posted:

Chapter 1 Ending Chaos

Vs

Chapter 1 Ending Law

Minor complaint but I think you have these flipped. The "follow in this madness?" line is Law route when you agree with Leonar's plan for Balmamusa, and "they're as good as dead" is Chaos when you refuse.

Excellent breakdown of the motivations and character growth here in the CODA. Makes me glad I'm playing through the game again (and about to go through PotD for the first time on this save :smithicide:)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bregor posted:

Minor complaint but I think you have these flipped. The "follow in this madness?" line is Law route when you agree with Leonar's plan for Balmamusa, and "they're as good as dead" is Chaos when you refuse.

Excellent breakdown of the motivations and character growth here in the CODA. Makes me glad I'm playing through the game again (and about to go through PotD for the first time on this save :smithicide:)

If you want to defend him on technicalities that definitely weren't intended, Vyce basically picks the path you don't. It's probably how the mistake got made in the first place.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

If you want to defend him on technicalities that definitely weren't intended, Vyce basically picks the path you don't. It's probably how the mistake got made in the first place.

Yeah definitely understandable. The thing that stands out to me most is the portraits. I remember reading H10W's LP and they made a point to say how hosed up Chaos Vyce's face looked. :v:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Bregor posted:

Yeah definitely understandable. The thing that stands out to me most is the portraits. I remember reading H10W's LP and they made a point to say how hosed up Chaos Vyce's face looked. :v:

The chaos screenshots are from H10W as are most of the chaos screenshots I've been pulling as a way to pay homage to him or her.

I had the screenshots labelled right when I did my review of the update. I then uploaded them and though, gently caress, I got them backwards, and "corrected" them.

No one ever said I'm smart.

On a side note, I can't get through the next update without having someone mysteriously cut up a bunch of onions in my office or near my computer.

The next update contains what might be the most powerful moment in the entire game, and it's hidden in content that maybe 2% of the people who ever play the game will see.

Edit: also, are the gif sizes really that bad or just slightly inconsistent? I can deal with slightly inconsistent, but if they're really messing with people's browsers, let me know.

Second Edit: I apologize guys and gals, this update keeps getting larger and larger the more I look into it and amaze at the little details of dialogue that tell this amazing story without beating you over the head. If you are reading this, throw a couple garbage posts in the thread to force a new page so that I don't have to throw this monstrosity on the same page as a couple other updates.

waah fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 23, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm really looking forward to this next update! Also I really need to play this game.

And play FFT, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New page time.

I'm enjoying these gifs btw.