Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I used to have to run palemoon portable because firefox.exe was blocked by Digital Guardian

Somehow whenever you clicked a link with target = new window it was detected as firefox and killed immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crit Unit A
Dec 29, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

mystes posted:

Capital One apparently still has something like this but it's a browser extension with a "virtual assistant" that will offer to generate the numbers when you're on a check out page and no way in hell am I going to install that.

It would be nice if we could use different numbers for each transaction or something like TOTP codes instead of the static CCV but I was literally just talking about one separate, static card number for internet transactions so that it's at least impossible for someone to copy your number from the physical card.

privacy.com has a service to create an unlimited number of card numbers with specific transaction limits tied to a bank account.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jre posted:

lmfao, I've never seen that one before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyE_wBpdUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55P-UHdZ7WI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crit Unit A posted:

privacy.com has a service to create an unlimited number of card numbers with specific transaction limits tied to a bank account.

this looks like a massive secfuck waiting to happen

let me just give this 3rd party company direct access to my bank account, for the express purpose of putting them in line with all my transactions

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

bunq, a dutch online bank, used cvvs as totp at some point. It was great, but for some reason they turned it off.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Stoll had lots of good/prescient/true points, except he doubled down and went all-in on the luddite angle.
I don't know if you deserve to get kudos for that.

the luddites were right though, is the thing, and they do deserve kudos, because no technology developed in the last thousand years has been purely good for everyone

it’s not zero sum, but people would be wise to remember the losing sides in all this disruption

i don’t know how anyone who reads this thread could say that we have adequately advanced as a society and as a trade to actually secure peoples private data to the degree that our ethical responsibility to others whose data we are stewards dictates

the fact that there are almost never consequences for a breach ever except a temporary stock dip and a paltry fine and the cost of credit monitoring isn’t exactly incentivizing folks with decision-making power to improve the situation either

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Storysmith posted:

no technology developed in the last thousand years has been purely good for everyone
has anything in the history of humanity been good for everyone?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

D. Ebdrup posted:

not even fire has been good for everyone

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

D. Ebdrup posted:

once I typed a post and then deleted it without posting it. does that count?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no, you count. and no matter how good it was for us not to read it, it must have hurt you to hold that post in

there are truly no winners in the posting game

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

conway's game of posting is the only way to win

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

D. Ebdrup posted:

yes, the invention of bitcoins by satoshi nakomato

mystes
May 31, 2006

Storysmith posted:

the luddites were right though, is the thing, and they do deserve kudos, because no technology developed in the last thousand years has been purely good for everyone
Who was penicillin bad for?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

morticians

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think penicillin reduced the overall lifetime mortality rate, though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

mystes posted:

some people are allergic to it

and antibiotics in general have led to some very questionable developments in farming, and also to the evolution of new deadly bacteria

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

soap, the hygienic product, not the shaggarific protocol.
water filtration/purification is p. good too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

yes, the invention of bitcoins by satoshi nakomato

wrong thread

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

MononcQc posted:

soap, the hygienic product, not the shaggarific protocol.
water filtration/purification is p. good too.

a lot of medical technologies which allow human beings to live a relatively nice and long life are good

maybe a technology and the ethical use of it are not really separate

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

36c3 schedule is up, day 1: https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2019/Fahrplan/schedule/1.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

I don't think penicillin reduced the overall lifetime mortality rate, though.

yeah, but cash flow is a thing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seems legit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mystes posted:

penicillin was quite useful for soldiers and high military officials, which wasn't so good for the folks those people killed

fortunately, the Nazis were never able to mass-produce it. but they were able to get their hands on enough to treat Hitler with it after an assassination attempt

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

mystes posted:

not to derail further, but Sarah Mei had a twitter thread about this topic:
https://twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1078990412478525442 (though about sulfa antibiotics, not penicillin specifically)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Penisface posted:

a lot of medical technologies which allow human beings to live a relatively nice and long life are good

on the other hand, existence is torture, and prolonging it is therefore profoundly evil

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Storysmith posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1078990412478525442 (though about sulfa antibiotics, not penicillin specifically)

i was with her until she started talking about how big tech needs to learn to ~regulate itself~ and how thinking about the negative consequences of the thing you're making can help you sell the thing to the people you're causing negative consequences to (???)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1078932447314595840

Counterpoint: baby slings

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: baby slings

What’s the range on those?

Do they work better at protecting the flock from predators than a normal sling?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

penicillin is good because bakerscientists discovered the bread molecules growin on it and here we are nowadays able to munch on delicious Cuban sandwiches :stoked:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1079021881498320896

She explicitly rejects prosthetic limbs.

What is the “negative space” there? Victims of piracy who would have been spared had the peg leg not existed?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ugh, the cynical view is probably something like those now able bodied people are taking jobs from people with all their limbs or something terrible

cochlear implants are divisive in the deaf community as a cultural preservation concern but thats also a subjective minefield and certainly more nuanced than the two word reply here

lol at bikes being instashaggared too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

What’s the range on those?

Do they work better at protecting the flock from predators than a normal sling?

the range is pathetic! babies barely have enough upper body strength to crawl let alone fight off minotaurs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

What is the “negative space” there? Victims of piracy who would have been spared had the peg leg not existed?

those pirates no longer require the services of the peg leg carving industry

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bikes meant people from the next village could cycle over and bone your women instead of you doing it as God intended

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

Oscar Pistorius' girlfriend?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Storysmith posted:

this thread loving sucks and is just another computer programmer who thinks they know everything about the the world and are here to educate you. in between posts about the new Ruby on Rails of course

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
In response to the sweet progressive parental leave policies of Sweden (240 days each, where not all are transferable) some idiots are claiming dads are displacing moms from the role of "the nurturing parent".

We both stayed home a year each, stretching it by being full time away from work but only getting part time parental leave pay. Those two years I've had with each boy gave been the best of my life.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

DADLLENNIALS are KILLING the FORCED MOM INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you don’t get it. men already dominated every other part of the world, and they’re coming for the one thing women had left. now they just need to invent the anal uterus. and then the gynocide will begin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
why is this in this thread