Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bardeh posted:

cool newspaper

Tighten the grip, lefties. The alternative is to go back into the grip of the right, and as they keep saying, they will never let go.

Edit: 376 pounds of unrelenting pressure.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Having a depressing christmas? How about this.

https://news.sky.com/story/tesco-halts-roll-out-of-charity-christmas-cards-after-girl-6-finds-note-from-chinese-inmates-11892913

'Please help us': Girl, 6, finds prisoner message in Tesco charity card.

A message by foreign prisoners in China pleading for help has been found in a Tesco charity card by a six-year-old girl.

The company has stopped working with a factory in China after Florence Widdicombe, from Tooting in London, opened a card featuring a kitten wearing a Santa hat to find the message.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Well, as long as they stop using that one factory that's the problem and get their cards from the factory next door that has more surveillance of the workforce, problem solved

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Hear me out Miftan.

Deep fried Terry's Chocolate Orange. Do you deep fry the segments individually or the whole sphere at once?

All at once because I'm a lazy fucker.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jippa posted:

Having a depressing christmas? How about this.

https://news.sky.com/story/tesco-halts-roll-out-of-charity-christmas-cards-after-girl-6-finds-note-from-chinese-inmates-11892913

'Please help us': Girl, 6, finds prisoner message in Tesco charity card.

A message by foreign prisoners in China pleading for help has been found in a Tesco charity card by a six-year-old girl.

The company has stopped working with a factory in China after Florence Widdicombe, from Tooting in London, opened a card featuring a kitten wearing a Santa hat to find the message.

The article lists countless times prison labor smuggles messages to western consumes and every single time the western distributes response is "how could this happen!? We inspected the factories and saw no prison labor!"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

cool Evening Standard article about how RLB is "over-egging her background" because when she talks about growing up watching her dockworker dad fret about redundancy she must have been 2 years old at the time so it doesn't count

Also the involvement of Lansman in her campaign will anger Labour moderates like Alan Johnson who wants the left to go away and who was handpicked to be an MP by Tony Blair himself!

ends on a random Jess Phillips tweet because of course it does

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ms Adequate posted:

Is it funnier to pronounce Chipotle like Aristotle, or Aristotle like Chipotle?

I don't get why it's "Aristotle" anyway. The guy's name was Aristoteles (well, to a first approximation). Similarly the other dude was Platon, not "Plato" pronounced "PLAY-TOH" but Platon, pronounced, you know, "Platon" (IPA: [platon]).

Silly anglophones and their name manglings :arghfist:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm almost ready to conclude that RLB is the clear best choice, based mostly on how much the usual suspects don't want her to become leader.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

jaete posted:

I don't get why it's "Aristotle" anyway. The guy's name was Aristoteles (well, to a first approximation). Similarly the other dude was Platon, not "Plato" pronounced "PLAY-TOH" but Platon, pronounced, you know, "Platon" (IPA: [platon]).

Silly anglophones and their name manglings :arghfist:

The important thing to remember about both is that they were very clever people with very bad ideas.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Miftan posted:

The important thing to remember about both is that they were very clever people with very bad ideas.

The both-sidesism is coming from inside the thread!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Diogenes was right.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NewMars posted:

Diogenes was right.

Jerking off into the street from my barrel

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Jerking off into the street from my barrel

Please don't doxx me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

Looks like someone has never actually read Plato. Plato hated democracy because the people would always elect assholes. And here's what he had to say about the guardians of the state:

“Then let us consider what will be their way of life, if they are to realize our idea of them. In the first place, none of them should have any property of his own beyond what is absolutely necessary; neither should they have a private house or store closed against any one who has a mind to enter; their provisions should be only such as are required by trained warriors, who are men of temperance and courage; they should agree to receive from the citizens a fixed rate of pay, enough to meet the expenses of the year and no more; and they will go and live together like soldiers in a camp. Gold and silver we will tell them that they have from God; the diviner metal is within them, and they have therefore no need of the dross which is current among men, and ought not to pollute the divine by any such earthly admixture; for that commoner metal has been the source of many unholy deeds, but their own is undefiled. And they alone of all the citizens may not touch or handle silver or gold, or be under the same roof with them, or wear them, or drink from them. And this will be their salvation, and they will be the saviours of the State. But should they ever acquire homes or lands or moneys of their own, they will become housekeepers and husbandmen instead of guardians, enemies and tyrants instead of allies of the other citizens; hating and being hated, plotting and being plotted against, they will pass their whole life in much greater terror of internal than of external enemies, and the hour of ruin, both to themselves and to the rest of the State, will be at hand.”

You're sitting in this country, at this time, and saying this is a bad idea?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

Looks like someone has never actually read Plato. Plato hated democracy because the people would always elect assholes. And here's what he had to say about the guardians of the state:

“Then let us consider what will be their way of life, if they are to realize our idea of them. In the first place, none of them should have any property of his own beyond what is absolutely necessary; neither should they have a private house or store closed against any one who has a mind to enter; their provisions should be only such as are required by trained warriors, who are men of temperance and courage; they should agree to receive from the citizens a fixed rate of pay, enough to meet the expenses of the year and no more; and they will go and live together like soldiers in a camp. Gold and silver we will tell them that they have from God; the diviner metal is within them, and they have therefore no need of the dross which is current among men, and ought not to pollute the divine by any such earthly admixture; for that commoner metal has been the source of many unholy deeds, but their own is undefiled. And they alone of all the citizens may not touch or handle silver or gold, or be under the same roof with them, or wear them, or drink from them. And this will be their salvation, and they will be the saviours of the State. But should they ever acquire homes or lands or moneys of their own, they will become housekeepers and husbandmen instead of guardians, enemies and tyrants instead of allies of the other citizens; hating and being hated, plotting and being plotted against, they will pass their whole life in much greater terror of internal than of external enemies, and the hour of ruin, both to themselves and to the rest of the State, will be at hand.”

You're sitting in this country, at this time, and saying this is a bad idea?

I've read enough Plato, unfortunately.. All of his metaphysics are straight out some someone's LSD trip and his politics boil down to "I should be in charge because everyone else is an idiot". Now, the second part might be true, but I'm not going to trust anybody with that first part.

Wasn it plato who thought war was actually pretty great and made you into a good man or something? Something about honour wrt the virtues?

Miftan fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 22, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm almost ready to conclude that RLB is the clear best choice, based mostly on how much the usual suspects don't want her to become leader.

Like I said literally a day ago, the chosen successor for the Corbynite project needs to be your first choice immediately as they will be the most radical and the most attacked.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is a really good investigation into the incredibly dodgy but legal tactics all the far right parties are using to track voters down and how to do disinfo stuff. Basically the big thing the tories went for and won on was that people have become so disengaged from politics due to late stage capitalism that they voted in the person saying it would be over

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/boris-johnson-made-politics-awful-then-asked-people-vote-it-away/

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Bardeh posted:

cool newspaper

dipshit paper goin in hard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

something that article gets at well is really shown by this chart. Basically austerity has completely disconnected the public from the state and labour were trying to sell that it could be used for public good. Then dodgy ads attacked that idea hard

The ideas themselves are really popular but people don't believe they're possible any more

https://twitter.com/MorganPaulett/status/1208713463314493440?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pound_Coin posted:

dipshit paper goin in hard

Young members, such as this 57 year old journalist

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Wasn it plato who thought was was actually pretty great and made you into a good man or something? Something about honour wrt the virtues?

I’m enjoying this typo (for war I assume), by imagining that Plato was a fan of Was (Not Was)

^^ Why is nationalising gas and electric so low? Weird.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is a good and depressing read

https://twitter.com/Judicaelle_/status/1208495504511950849?s=20

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Miftan posted:

Wasn it plato who thought was was actually pretty great and made you into a good man or something? Something about honour wrt the virtues?

This is all Greek culture. Bear in mind the Athenian army was a form of national service for all citizens and seen as a rite of passage. But even the Iliad has a massive amount of "war is amazing" progaganda, despite also highlighting the horrors of war:

quote:

Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus’ son Achilleus
and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians,
hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls
of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting
of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished
since that time when first there stood in division of conflict

Actually Plato in eg Gorgias writes Socrates as opposing the prevalent and traditional Greek view of power as virtue so by Athenian standards he's a bleeding heart liberal pacifist.

The Classical attitude to war was "war is hell, but also loving rules". So pretty much the same as Western culture to this day, although "hell" seems to be more common in the aftermath of WW1 and Hiroshima.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

I’m enjoying this typo (for war I assume), by imagining that Plato was a fan of Was (Not Was)

^^ Why is nationalising gas and electric so low? Weird.

Yes, you are correct.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Bardeh posted:

cool newspaper

I've said it before, but it absolutely kills me that the commentariat are all jerking themselves into a frothing frenzy about the Labour leadership contest rather than commenting on the ACTUAL GOVERNMENT.

Like holy poo poo guys we've just passed the withdrawal agreement, minus workers rights protections. Cummies is talking about a massive revision to how the civil services works. Nurses are on strike.

But no :byodood: Labour leadership we don't like lefties grrr :byodood:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

This is all Greek culture. Bear in mind the Athenian army was a form of national service for all citizens and seen as a rite of passage. But even the Iliad has a massive amount of "war is amazing" progaganda, despite also highlighting the horrors of war:

Actually Plato in eg Gorgias writes Socrates as opposing the prevalent and traditional Greek view of power as virtue so by Athenian standards he's a bleeding heart liberal pacifist.

The Classical attitude to war was "war is hell, but also loving rules". So pretty much the same as Western culture to this day, although "hell" seems to be more common in the aftermath of WW1 and Hiroshima.

I never said they weren't products of their society, all I'm saying is we probably shouldn't be taking moral and political advice from people who may as well have lived on Mars considering how different our societies are.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Deep fried Terry's Chocolate Orange. Do you deep fry the segments individually or the whole sphere at once?

Rezzing this post from a few pages back because this culinary genius needs to be recognised :swoon:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1208724906327912450?s=20

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Jose posted:

something that article gets at well is really shown by this chart. Basically austerity has completely disconnected the public from the state and labour were trying to sell that it could be used for public good. Then dodgy ads attacked that idea hard

The ideas themselves are really popular but people don't believe they're possible any more

Nye Bevan spoke correctly against Tory anarchists.

quote:

So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. They condemned millions of people to semi-starvation. I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying, do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. They have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse.

Miftan posted:

I never said they weren't products of their society, all I'm saying is we probably shouldn't be taking moral and political advice from people who may as well have lived on Mars considering how different our societies are.

Given their view of war was pretty much the same as the West to this day (outside of military contexts, which seem to be far more "war is politics continued by other means") it seems pretty relevant.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I refuse to use the term "working-class" when referring to places in the north and midlands, because it reinforces the notion that people in poo poo jobs in cities aren't working class

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

Given their view of war was pretty much the same as the West to this day (outside of military contexts, which seem to be far more "war is politics continued by other means") it seems pretty relevant.

There's some subtle differences, I would say, with regards to war. In any case, the way the derive their ethics and politics wouldn't stand up today, like what they thought about women or relationships with young boys.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MikeCrotch posted:

I refuse to use the term "working-class" when referring to places in the north and midlands, because it reinforces the notion that people in poo poo jobs in cities aren't working class

It's more than that. It's saying that young people can't be working class & ethnic minorities can't be working class. It's loving gross.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Miftan posted:

It's not pederasty it's ephebophilia dyadic mentorship! :agesilaus:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I just finished reading Learned Optimism, where Seligman claims to be able to predict who will win elections based on how “optimistic” their speeches are. If you read the book you’ll see that optimists are basically huge stupid assholes who blame others for their problems, never admit fault, are wrong about everything, and resemble insurance salesmen. It’s true and I hate it.

Seligman’s position is that we should all learn to be optimists but I’d rather loving not.
Yeah Seligman's basically a new age con artist and Depressive Realism beats Learned Optimism any day of the week at "actually reflecting loving reality". I'd vote for a Zapffean candidate though.

Yeah, France is loving trash and a looter state far more than any other colonial power except perhaps the CIA in Latin America, and I'm convinced that they were behind the murder of Thomas Sankara and up to 20 other African leaders and activists who were against the system of foreign currency debt bondage.

Ceterum autem censeo Francia esse delendam.

Purple Prince posted:

How can they be anarchists if they're aggressively shoring up illegitimate hierarchy by any means necessary?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The crossover age shifted in the Tories favor, we didn't lose the middle class, we lost the middle aged....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah Seligman's basically a new age con artist and Depressive Realism beats Learned Optimism any day of the week at "actually reflecting loving reality". I'd vote for a Zapffean candidate though.

Yeah, France is loving trash and a looter state far more than any other colonial power except perhaps the CIA in Latin America, and I'm convinced that they were behind the murder of Thomas Sankara and up to 20 other African leaders and activists who were against the system of foreign currency debt bondage.

Ceterum autem censeo Francia esse delendam.

How can they be anarchists if they're aggressively shoring up illegitimate hierarchy by any means necessary?

what do you mean "convinced" lol. of course they loving were

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/nickw84/status/1208729351325470720

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

the noise over the abolition of the CFA Franc reserve requirement is being pushed by French interests using leftists as cover/useful idiots - the interest paid by the French central bank has a minimum at 0.75%, which sounds low but is a princely sum compared to the rate paid on reserves by the ECB, which is a negative -0.5%. This was never foreseen by the French so now they want out of it

African countries that have remained on the CFA Franc, or dollarized, have done better than African countries that have not - third-world countries have genuinely been really, really bad guardians of the value of domestically-issued currencies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

what do you mean "convinced" lol. of course they loving were
It could also have been the USA, Côte d'Ivoire, the IMF, or South Africa. But it was France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Neoliberal policy is anarchistic in the way Bevin talked about Eden (I couldn't find the exact quote) because it breaks down the social bonds necessary for a society to exist in the first place. The Tory solution to this is harsher repression of the poors, but even that only goes so far ; at some point you'll get flashpoints like the London Riots where neoliberals reap what they sow. Tory governance is self defeating after a point because a system built on fomenting distrust and hatred of others is going to erupt into lawlessness at some point.