Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Popero posted:

What happened to the auction anyway

Advantages.

Auctions moved from being "hey here's a bunch of food and comfort items and some of these might be booby traps" to "save your money to bid for the HII clue", and production just never bothered fixing it (by, say, taking the advantages away from the auction) so they took auctions away entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ :argh: ^^^

Popero posted:

They stopped doing it because people just started waiting and saving up for the advantages

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Popero posted:

Jeff thinks it's bad television, which is so completely wrong

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

Jeff thinks it's bad television, which is so completely wrong

when was the last time something Good Television happened at an auction?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

When I'm in charge of Survivor, the coconut-chop reward challenges are coming back.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

when was the last time something Good Television happened at an auction?

Mike Holloway

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Honestly if it had been Dean that had somehow been knocked out by the nullifier (Or in previous seasons people like Ben Driebergen or Chris Underwood), I think way fewer people would be complaining.

The main issue with the nulifier was the coin flip to get it

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Imagine being Janet and knowing you’d have a million dollars if Rob didn’t turn the coin upside down when it landed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

When I'm in charge of Survivor, the coconut-chop reward challenges are coming back.

Are those the challenges where the players players get like 3 'lives' and the other players try to deliberately end those lives? Because yeah, those challenges really do need to come back.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well she got 100k so I’m sure she’ll be ok.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I kinda think it would be cool if idols could cancel each other out. Every idol is also a nullifier. It functions as defense and offense, so you have to choose how to use it, and more player decision making is never a bad thing. Example: You are in the majority. Your target stands up to play an idol. You have an idol of your own that no one knows about. You now have options. Do you

A. Do nothing, gambling that the minority didn't vote for you. You risk going home, but if you don't, you remain unexposed to your alliance, and keep your idol for future use when it could be even more helpful.
B. Play your idol to nullify theirs. You protect your entire alliance and ensure the correct target goes home, but expose yourself to treachery in the future now that they know you can find idols and that you are vulnerable. And that is, of course, assuming they don't already think you're vulnerable, and aren't coming for you tonight.
C. Maybe you've been getting weird vibes from them lately. Maybe it was a really crazy tribal. Either way, you find yourself thinking; "what if my alliance voted for me?" If they betrayed you, and your play your idol as a nullifier to protect them, you go out looking like the biggest chump in the world. So why not just play the idol on yourself? It's the only option that guarantees your own survival no matter what. But it also makes you look selfish and paranoid if they didn't betray you, and turns you into an even bigger threat if they did.

Every option has its ups and downs, and it's up to the players to decide how they want to play it. And that's not even getting into the possibility of having two idols...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

mancalamania posted:

Imagine being Janet and knowing you’d have a million dollars if Rob didn’t turn the coin upside down when it landed.

Or if the producers had sent Tommy to IOI instead of Dean. Tommy, to be consistent with the game he says he was playing, would have turned down the coin flip. No flip, no Nullifier in play and again, Janet ends up winning.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Anything that helps majority alliances is bad. Everything should encourage breaking them up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Are those the challenges where the players players get like 3 'lives' and the other players try to deliberately end those lives? Because yeah, those challenges really do need to come back.

yep

Zesty posted:

Anything that helps majority alliances is bad. Everything should encourage breaking them up.

remove the vote from survivor in 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Impeach a jury member

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Pinterest Mom posted:

Advantages.

Auctions moved from being "hey here's a bunch of food and comfort items and some of these might be booby traps" to "save your money to bid for the HII clue", and production just never bothered fixing it (by, say, taking the advantages away from the auction) so they took auctions away entirely.

this is like the easiest fix in the world and i don't get why they haven't done it. just have jeff straight up say 'no advantages in the auction, if you see something you want, you better get it!'

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny that AU Survivor has arguably more broken auction rewards than US but they still manage to keep them in.

In 2018, somebody won a (covered) ability to duplicate everything that people won at the auction. So he got a copy of every food item, his home video, etc.

Then in 2019, somebody won a box to be opened at camp that gave them everything that was at the auction and an idol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love the coconut chop challenge because it usually forces the bottom member(s) of an alliance to realize they're on the bottom and try and do something about it in response.

I can do without the food auction, since it doesn't seem like you often get anything as good as like the Randy/cookie drama out of it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Raxivace posted:

I love the coconut chop challenge because it usually forces the bottom member(s) of an alliance to realize they're on the bottom and try and do something about it in response.

I can do without the food auction, since it doesn't seem like you often get anything as good as like the Randy/cookie drama out of it.

My fav was the south Pacific version of this where it was a weird board game, and it was the immunity challenge, and then the person on the bottom didn't/couldn't do it poo poo about it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

My fav was the south Pacific version of this where it was a weird board game, and it was the immunity challenge, and then the person on the bottom didn't/couldn't do it poo poo about it.

Edna had a real shot, Brandon was just being... Brandon and intentionally made his losing moves to block her off.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Bloop posted:

Impeach a jury member

what if every survivor vote had to be 2/3 or it went to rocks

i was joking when i wrote this but now i'm realizing it's better than at least 3 of the past few seasons' gimmicks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Deceptive posted:

Mike Holloway

that was actually extremely boring because he didn't even go through with denying everyone their family letters

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Lone Goat posted:

that was actually extremely boring because he didn't even go through with denying everyone their family letters

he wasn't going to deny other people their letters, he just wasn't going to buy his own. sadly he not only tried to not buy it, therefore giving away his plan, and then tried to walk it back after everyone was already mad at him.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Adus posted:

he wasn't going to deny other people their letters, he just wasn't going to buy his own. sadly he not only tried to not buy it, therefore giving away his plan, and then tried to walk it back after everyone was already mad at him.

oh yeah i remembered it wrong, thanks

but what happened was even less interesting than what i said!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

precision posted:

I'd like to see a season with no immunity idols except the ones from challenges

I agree and I feel like there are lots of fans who share this opinion, but isn't Jeff on record essentially telling us to STFU and get used to all kinds of advantage gimmicks because that's what he likes and what he thinks the audience wants to see?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I think if fire tokens replace hidden immunities then they could be a way to slow down the rate of advantages entering the game. The hunt for them will still be entertaining and the players are given more choice for how to use them.

I do think it’s amazing that production’s attempts to shake up the game with advantages has now led to the opposite happening.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
No, tokens need to be public. Give them out publicly and have the contestants be in the know when token exchanges take place. The social politicking of garnets in the genius are what make them fun. If they were secret they would suck.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They ever let the audience vote for anyone? If nothing else it would be nice for the fan favorite to get a Sia kickback each season.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

They ever let the audience vote for anyone? If nothing else it would be nice for the fan favorite to get a Sia kickback each season.

There used to be a fan vote to give a big cash prize to a player, Sprint used to sponsor it but now they don't anymore. I think Cochran won the last one?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s a shame.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm curious if/when a contestant will start meta gaming for the Sia money.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

There used to be a fan vote to give a big cash prize to a player, Sprint used to sponsor it but now they don't anymore. I think Cochran won the last one?

Wasn't it invented so Rupert would get money

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Wasn't it invented so Rupert would get money

I wasn't watching back then, so I don't know if the first Sprint Fan Favourite (or whatever it was called) was Rupert's first season, but for an all-returnee season they upped it from the normal 100k to 1 million and Rupert won that one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bagrada posted:

didn't Wendy do that

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

SweetJahasus posted:

No, tokens need to be public. Give them out publicly and have the contestants be in the know when token exchanges take place. The social politicking of garnets in the genius are what make them fun. If they were secret they would suck.

[quote="SweetJahasus" post="501036131"]

Fair point and this has now got me wondering what happens to tokens when someone is voted out.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

IcePhoenix posted:

didn't Wendy do that

Looks like that maybe was her plan. Instead of her that season it went to Devens for being entertaining, Aurora for growing up in foster care, and to Joe Anglim for cutting his hair.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

didn't Wendy do that

there is not a chance that a single action Wendy took could be ascribed to "strategy"

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

mancalamania posted:

That pissed me off. Don't pretty much all sport games do a clean toss and let it hit the ground?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It ticks me off but I'm okayish with it with normal coins where it's a 50/50 anyway. With the size and definition of that nullifier he could easily have felt how it fell and engineered the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

When we hear someone on the island singing,

I'm gonna swing
on the coconut tree
on the coconut tree-ee-ee
I'm gonna play
like Tribal council doesn't exist

One two three
one two three chop
Throw me another coconut
unitl I lose count