Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problem is that by the time you get called shot mastery you have a few mechs rolling around with headcappers. At that point I just aim for the head with an almost 1 in 5 chance of hitting it. You don't cap all the assaults you want, but you get a lot of them. And that's assuming you dont' have the head cap idiocy of a kitted out marauder.

I find the most challenging mech harvesting period to be the early time when your pilots suck and all you really want is another medium or maybe your first heavy.

Playing with increased opfor strength in the difficulty settings is wierd because initially you have more OH gently caress I'M FUUUCKED moments... but it's also easier to luck into a couple of heavies crazy early in the game.and suddenly you're way ahead of the curve after like 2 months or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

Playing with increased opfor strength in the difficulty settings is wierd because initially you have more OH gently caress I'M FUUUCKED moments... but it's also easier to luck into a couple of heavies crazy early in the game.and suddenly you're way ahead of the curve after like 2 months or something.

I'm doing a new campaign playthrough with the DLCs and got a warhammer before I got the argo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

OctaMurk posted:

Just had a weird assassinate mission where an enemy Orion (75 tons) was able to act at initiative 4. How is that possible?

Was there a Cyclops CP-10-Z on the enemy team? Master Tactician would put the Orion in Phase 3, then the Battle Computer in the Cyclops would move it to Phase 4.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Keltar posted:

Davions. They will be your best friend with all your UAC needs.

Pretty sure almost every store has UAC ammo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

[ chortles internally ]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xarbala posted:

[ crits internally ]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That got me thinking, it'd be nice if lbx's could use standard ac ammo as an alt fire outside of specific mods.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god is Roguetech the only BT mod that has the Uziel

am I gonna have to swallow my pride and give it a shot because I want a loving Uziel

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You could get it stand alone but those havent been updated for hm yet sadly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stravag posted:

You could get it stand alone but those havent been updated for hm yet sadly

Eh, gently caress it, hobocop

I'll just have to give RT a fair shake and embrace the jank life unless something else about it drives me completely mad

Or I'll just cheat or something I don't give a gently caress, I'm just here to collect toys. If Roguetech is supposed to be a overhaul based on tabletop it shouldn't be too wild a divergence from previous experience, I've been destroyed plenty of times in mekhq. Just absolutely crunked, both tactically and economically.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pretty sure almost every store has UAC ammo

This. If anyone is having issues, look in the gyro area, specifically it should be under the stabilizer marked 'BA-eleven hundred-N'. Which you should also get attached to every 'Mech you own.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Doing the Raven flashpoint and just had my Raven crippled and its ECM destroyed by mass LRM fire. While it was meant to be cloaked. Without being sensor locked or using any active abilities. I feel like either the game is doing a bad job of explaining the mechanics or I'm missing something obvious.

As a first try of the flashpoint consecutive mission system, this has left me pretty hosed off and not super inclined to try again.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Were there any enemies in the ECM bubble?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No. I fired with the other mechs in the bubble, but there were no enemies even close to it. I have no idea why or how they targeted the Raven given the in-game description of the system.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Keltar posted:

Davions. They will be your best friend with all your UAC needs.

They don't sell UAC Ammo. It's basically LosTech.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Doing the Raven flashpoint and just had my Raven crippled and its ECM destroyed by mass LRM fire. While it was meant to be cloaked. Without being sensor locked or using any active abilities. I feel like either the game is doing a bad job of explaining the mechanics or I'm missing something obvious.

As a first try of the flashpoint consecutive mission system, this has left me pretty hosed off and not super inclined to try again.

The Raven flashpoint is p. bad because it both involves requiring you to game the system and using mechs/pilots not your own.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Are you sure you didn't get sensor locked by a turret? Heavy metal reworked how ECM works slightly and I believe now mechs inside the ECM bubble, including the raven, can get sensor locked and subsequently shot. Shittily, the raven flashpoint that explains how ecm works doesn't explain this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

No. I fired with the other mechs in the bubble, but there were no enemies even close to it. I have no idea why or how they targeted the Raven given the in-game description of the system.

Did you save the game in-mission and then reload later?

I wouldn't be surprised if the bug that allows the AI able to fire at targets from outside visual or even sensor range after a reload also fucks up ECM.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm playing on ironman to try and avoid my save-scumming habits.

That save bug is quite the thing though, I'd not heard about that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was planning to not save scum until I took a random 1.5 skull mission figuring it would be a cake walk as I hadn't really run into any trouble with them so far and then I lost 2 of my OG Mechwarriors before rage quiting.

Why are mission difficulties so poorly balanced? I'd never come close to losing a Mech and then this mission just kicked my rear end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They don't sell UAC Ammo. It's basically LosTech.

I think there's some down in Magistracy space.

Sumire says the Argo's running low on blinker fluid, so grab some while you're down there. And Yang just popped his head in to say that the mechtechs need a Long Weight, whatever that is, so make sure to ask for one of those.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I love this game but the ‘objective and reinforcements are too close together to engage separately’ thing really sucks.

2 cats, a trebuchet, a griffin, a spider, and a locust vs my jager, shadow hawk, vindicator, and centurion :sigh:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

the yeti posted:

I love this game but the ‘objective and reinforcements are too close together to engage separately’ thing really sucks.

2 cats, a trebuchet, a griffin, a spider, and a locust vs my jager, shadow hawk, vindicator, and centurion :sigh:

Circle around and come at it from a different angle. It's very rare when I end up doing both at the same time, and it usually means I hosed up.

edit: take a video of you doing a mission. It's the best way to troubleshoot what your issue is.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
So about the Baumann Group ... are these guys supposed to be clanners? Specifically, Wolverines the came with the Dobrev? I thought they were just supposed to be "the organized and civilized pirates", but then in the last mission, Baumann offers you 2 million to abandon the Dobrev. Why would a pirate do this? There's nothing of value on it for pirates ... that the ship is stripped bare is explicitly stated by Yang/Murad. The only other person interested in the ship is Kerensky, who is herself a secret clanner. Baumann even looks like a clanner.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hate working with Fedcoms cause they're lame as poo poo but they got all the UACs and a guy's gotta have his dakka

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
730 damage

I think I can get rid of that extra ton of ammo I don't think I'll ever get to take more than 5 shots.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Those guys might be Comstar, there are unverified rumors that a group of fleeing Wolverines took refuge on Mars and later sided with the Word. No evidence was found, but the Word does have an interest in keeping people off the Wolverine's trail. Despite being hated and hunted by everyone, they sent a Warship out of hiding to carpet nuke a team who found a facility the Wolverines used off the surface of a planet on the other side of Canopian space. They could also be working for Canopus, since the Magistracy has unexpectedly punched well above their weight and had other boons suggesting that the Wolverines are the benefactors.

Jabor posted:

I think there's some down in Magistracy space.

Sumire says the Argo's running low on blinker fluid, so grab some while you're down there. And Yang just popped his head in to say that the mechtechs need a Long Weight, whatever that is, so make sure to ask for one of those.

drat, I'm stuck up in Davion space trying to find six-packs of Pyramid to calibrate the treads on my MFB. :(

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

DeepThrobble posted:

Those guys might be Comstar, there are unverified rumors that a group of fleeing Wolverines took refuge on Mars and later sided with the Word. No evidence was found, but the Word does have an interest in keeping people off the Wolverine's trail. Despite being hated and hunted by everyone, they sent a Warship out of hiding to carpet nuke a team who found a facility the Wolverines used off the surface of a planet on the other side of Canopian space. They could also be working for Canopus, since the Magistracy has unexpectedly punched well above their weight and had other boons suggesting that the Wolverines are the benefactors.

I like both of those ideas. I just remembered another bit of info that suggests a clan connection: In the second mission of the first flashpoint of the campaign, you fight against one of Baumann's lances called "Zeta Lance." When I first played, I thought "that's an unusual name for a lance." I was just remembering how the Clans like to name their clusters/trinaries/etc. with greek letters.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Popete posted:

I was planning to not save scum until I took a random 1.5 skull mission figuring it would be a cake walk as I hadn't really run into any trouble with them so far and then I lost 2 of my OG Mechwarriors before rage quiting.

Why are mission difficulties so poorly balanced? I'd never come close to losing a Mech and then this mission just kicked my rear end.

There are a few missions where the design really is about trying to hit you with a nasty surprise. What you do in those missions is blitz the primary objective and get out. (Or you know what's coming because you've played it before, so you're totally prepared for it.) Also you can just take a secondary objective and withdraw. Withdrawing is actually intended behavior in this game, it's not like xcom where losing a mission is bad.

But aside from those, it's mostly the random generation of lances & semi-random placement on the map. For example:

the yeti posted:

A battle like this where the AI has a decent unit comp is IMO often harder than one where they have more weight but don't work together well. 2 heavies, 2 mediums, 2 lights should generally be a pretty easy fight by the time you've got a heavy yourself. But this time they rolled a set of LRMs and spotters.

Anyways yeti, you may need better mech builds and more aggression in your play. In the first rounds of contact you need to take damage off their side of the board while they're still spreading shots all around your team. Identifying that they have LRMers means you push past the trash lights to take out those -- stock trebs are weak mechs that I just called shot core every time. (I don't want treb parts anyways.)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ded posted:

730 damage

Get a couple more snubbies and you can get up to 750 total damage:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got to try that Atlas-2 build.

I'm currently steamrolling 5-skull contracts with a lance that dishes out slightly north of 2100 Alpha damage.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

anakha posted:

Get a couple more snubbies and you can get up to 750 total damage:

No jumpjets. No good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You do you. Personally, I'd rather spend the 6 tons elsewhere.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I never got the impression the Baumann group were secret Clanners, I just thought they were a criminal syndicate who had the resources to move on the Dobrev before any of the Successor States or nearby Periphery nations (or Comstar) could move on it and were making bank selling its secret technology on the market (as the justification for "where did all this poo poo even come from and why can we buy it"), which is a very un-Clanner thing to do.

Hell, mentioning it, it's weird Comstar isn't moving on it before anyone else given that they control all FTL interstellar communications, period (black boxes a current minor exception but that's Davion and Steiner only), and therefore would know what everyone is up to.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Sky Shadowing posted:

I never got the impression the Baumann group were secret Clanners, I just thought they were a criminal syndicate who had the resources to move on the Dobrev before any of the Successor States or nearby Periphery nations (or Comstar) could move on it and were making bank selling its secret technology on the market (as the justification for "where did all this poo poo even come from and why can we buy it"), which is a very un-Clanner thing to do.

Hell, mentioning it, it's weird Comstar isn't moving on it before anyone else given that they control all FTL interstellar communications, period (black boxes a current minor exception but that's Davion and Steiner only), and therefore would know what everyone is up to.

Why would they offer 2 million for a cleaned out Dobrev, if they're just a criminal syndicate? In the last flashpoint the writing is pretty clear about the ship being cleaned out at that point.

As for selling the secret tech being un-clan like ... well first of all, there's the entirely of Clan Diamond Shark. Second there are clans that have been banished for unclanline behavior like the Burrocks, who allied with the bandit caste and more importantly the Wolverines, who might have a few issues with clan society and were the clan that owned/were in the Dobrev.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm leaning ComStar just because they're the ones with a real incentive to keep the inner sphere from finding out the Clans are out there. Wofl's Dragoons wanting to flatten the ship to prevent people back-tracking its route is obvious, because the existing clans don't want the IS following them back home. ComStar doesn't want the rest of the inner sphere to know there's another star league remanent out there because that undercuts their agenda of trying to re-forge the star league themselves. I don't know that clan Wolverine would really give a gently caress if the IS found out that the clans were out there, since they were trying to get back to the IS in the first place. They don't really have a good reason to be trying to cover up the existence of the clans, like the Wolfs do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Out of curiosity are there any plans for Battletech model kits? My friends like to do a model building night and it'd be fun to bring an Atlas or Orion or something if it ever happened.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity are there any plans for Battletech model kits? My friends like to do a model building night and it'd be fun to bring an Atlas or Orion or something if it ever happened.

I've been looking for these too but I haven't seen any that I like. :(

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think that battletech has mainly stayed in the mini realm. A decent size Jupiter or Direwolf would be awesome

Edit: a model kit size mad dog or deimos would be loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The closest you'll get to that are either the old Battletech TV show toys by Tyco. I think there was a very limited run Timberwolf back in the 90s as well.