Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
since this is the de facto google thread, today absentee landlords larry and sergei announced that they’re not showing up to work anymore and gave all of alphabet to sundar.

whether this is good or bad, who loving knows. it’s not like he’s done a great job reigning in the dicking around at google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The Management posted:

larry and sergei announced that they’re not showing up to work anymore

were they doing this before

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Soricidus posted:

I won’t rest until I have a phone that’s just a ball covered in thousands of cameras like a compound eye

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's a piece of poo poo and a redundant device for me, but hey i saved a whole $20!

bull3964 posted:

Ok, there was another $20 off when you ordered from Fossil so I bought a Gen 5 Carlyle HR Smoke Stainless Steel for $185 and it arrived today.

It's nice? I mean, it's certainly the best WearOS watch I've ever used. The 1gb of ram really helps it out a lot compared to the Fossil Sport. It's really well put together and is a nice size.

So, that's where I am right now, swapping between a Smoke Gen 5 and a Black (actually sort of blueish) Galaxy Watch Active 2 depending on if I want to dress up or down. I'm also more likely to use the Samsung watch if I'm on a trip or am going to be away from an outlet for a long period of time. It's funny, the Gen 5 charges a shitton faster than the Active, but the active will likely last nearly twice as long (I'll have to see what real world usage is like on the Gen 5.)

Off to swappa with my Fossil Sport. It kinda feels like a toy after the Gen 5 and the Galaxy Watch Active 2.

I still have my battery replaced Moto 360 2 kicking around, but I have that paired to one of my other phones so I have something to wear if I switch over to it for some reason.

This is probably as good as it's going to get in Android Wearable land unless Google gets their thumb out of their rear end and actually tries to make a decent watch.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
gotta have a backup watch for your backup phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

but what about your backup backup phone

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I have a day watch and on the night watch, so I'm always on offence

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

since this is the de facto google thread,

google released another messaging platform a couple of days ago. this time in the photos app

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

but what about your backup backup phone

back dat phone up

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Endless Mike posted:

it's a piece of poo poo and a redundant device for me, but hey i saved a whole $20!

need to have a watch with 1gb of ram so it’s buttery smooth

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it’s true my dumb watch only updates at 1hz

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

it’s true my dumb watch only updates at 1hz
that's pretty poverty-spec, even my cheapo quartz updates faster than that

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
truth hz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my watch updates at 32768 Hz.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

my watch updates at -32768 Hz.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/1206403768583172096

mystes
May 31, 2006

They must be using Microsoft's agile testing methodology.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol perfect storm of google not understanding how people use their poo poo and people not understanding why to not misuse poo poo in a particular way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a deeper look at the biggest fuckup of all, using chrome for anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the second biggest fuckup was letting developers use chrome application storage for sensitive data

quote:

"Our app collects financial/transactional data (invoices, credits, etc) and absolutely cannot revert to the old data. Our users have assumed their unprocessed data has been lost and have already re-keyed in transactions that they collected while offline. There's now been 5 days worth of new transactions."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

One Chrome developer, Tobias Sargeant, asked the crowd of developers: "Are you aware that you can test with beta versions of webview? This change was made in beta 6 weeks ago, and had the issue been picked up at that point we would have been able to address it before it significantly impacted users." Both Chrome and the Android System WebView have "stable," "beta," and "dev" versions freely available in the Play Store, and apparently no one caught this change in time.

it’s your fault for not testing our updates.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

mystes posted:

They must be using Microsoft's agile testing methodology.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

el-oh-loving-el

Anroid.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my first experience with anroid was the local store of text messages being completely wiped after 1 week of og droid ownership in 2009. some things change, others stay the same

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

not from this distance your honor

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Celexi posted:

not from this distance your honor

googtendo itch

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
it would probably be terrible but there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of making a Switch But Good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

except the switch is already good, and specifically because it doesn't try to be any other kind of bullshit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

it would probably be terrible but there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of making a Switch But Good

they already did, it’s called the switch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

streaming on the go is 100% a non-starter anyway, the case can just barely be made (for someone more competent than google) in a wired setting, but it is not even workable over wifi as things stand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i guess this is the google thread so i wanted to post that google maps is real stupid because when i put in an airport code like KMER it says "couldn't find anything for that" but the first suggested search result is always the airport i'm looking for. stupid dumb poo poo. stupid programmers.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
no this is now the apple thread bc graph sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh good

timb copies... elon musk?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

moto delays the new razr to 2020

flip through the gallery at the top, the hinge has to expand beyond the width of the phone when closed, contracting as it opens. this thing will get fully loving wrecked in anything like a pocket or purse

also:

retro mode

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lmao a bunch of gbsers in the tech support thread got their feelings hurt because I called anroid a poorphone

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The MUMPSorceress posted:

lmao a bunch of gbsers in the tech support thread got their feelings hurt because I called anroid a poorphone

look at me I was trying to make fun of poor people and no one laughed with me, WTF?

You're better than that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The MUMPSorceress posted:

yeah, i wouldn't do that outside of yospos

i wouldn't do it inside yospos either, but at least here it's understood as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
just call it a poortastephone