Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

winegums posted:

Blair had 420 seats in 1997. He could've enacted gay communism and had every newspaper editor executed if he wanted to.
Part of me thinks we need a Labour leader that can cozy up to the papers and make nice with a palatable centrist manifesto, and then the second the polls close rip off the mask and yell SURPRISE FUCKERS ITS LUXURY SPACE COMMUNISM TIME while firing double guns in the air

E:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Part of me thinks we need a Labour leader that can cozy up to the papers and make nice with a palatable centrist manifesto, and then the second the polls close rip off the mask and yell SURPRISE FUCKERS ITS LUXURY SPACE COMMUNISM TIME while firing double guns in the air

I mean, this would be the ideal.

But by the same token, we also need every billionaire to stop hoarding wealth and start paying their workers properly, every oil company to throw all their future research funding into fusion power, every... etc.

If we're talking pipe dreams, why stop at 'a decent Labour leader is elected on the grounds of duplicity'?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It works for the Conservatives

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm against the death penalty but for the guillotine.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Bundy posted:

https://twitter.com/MrStephenHowson/status/1208851977259671553

lol, Sky man's butthole tightening up as Nev makes some good points.

I'm here to try and have a balanced debate, which means only bad points and hot takes allowed,; your argument was too compelling

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E:

downside, how do you as a Labour voter tell the difference between that guy and an actual centrist

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GreyjoyBastard posted:

downside, how do you as a Labour voter tell the difference between that guy and an actual centrist

They don't get skullfucked into horrific electoral defeats with the actual centrist.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E:

I'd love this, but the problem is, someone running with that goal in mind would be scorned and hated by us as a centrist melt, and who knows if they could get the voters out?

But yeah a full centrist turning out to go "When will I enact FALGSC? I enacted it thirty-five minutes ago. Do you really think I'd explain my masterstroke if there was any chance of you affecting its outcome?" to the press would be :discourse:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nice meltdown

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1208892735064825858?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Yea I’m actually against the death penalty in reality. Just very angry at the sentencing for those horrors.

Would you prefer a 16 year old had the "key thrown away" if you're just exaggerating about shooting them in the head?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bundy posted:

Would you prefer a 16 year old had the "key thrown away" if you're just exaggerating about shooting them in the head?

Significant time in a re education camp

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Significant time in a re education camp

So, "rehabilitation". Guess what this government and the people that voted for this government have little interest in?

Punitive "justice" proves time and again it doesn't work, people re-offend, often worse because life prospects are now in the shitter because no one will hire you with a record. The point made about rec centres etc is a good one. When you take away the comforts and needs of human beings, eventually misery and mental health takes its toll until we reject the society that's harming us and everything in it as well as becoming more selfish and resentful.

Large societies work on trust and support, there's no need to feel paranoid in vast crowds of a society etc. When you take those away from sections of society, those sections break away. Do it in such a manner they become loving destitute and start reverting to more base human instincts of fear and distrust, you get what we see every loving day on the streets. You just happen to be mad about one incident.

I cannot tell you how many homeless people I've attempted to interact with and it's like there's no one there, barely an acknowledgement of my presence.

Ostracising and disenfranchising people is a loving horrible thing to do, more so to vulnerable people. This has an effect of punching down, as the 16 year old with zero prospects punches down on the gay couple (and has you fantasising about punching down on the 16 year old). What you need to start wrapping your head around is the 16 year old and the terrorist on the bridge are symptoms of the same problem. We're not robots, we don't all sink into a deep depression and go to bed when life sucks as hard as it could possibly suck. Some become violent, some self-harm, others become recluse, however they are all victims of the same loving lack of care and compassion from those in power and thus are deserving of the same compassion from the onlooker.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 23, 2019

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Who is this woman? Is she just a rather vocal racist idiot or the “new” Katie Hopkins?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

Who is this woman? Is she just a rather vocal racist idiot or the “new” Katie Hopkins?

A "journalist". Same one that fell for the "My friend is a nurse and they say that child is a LIE" bot messages. Pearson is a loving shitbag.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Telegraph columnist iirc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Telegraph columnist iirc.

That's redundant with "loving shitbag".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All telegraph columnists are loving shitbags but not all loving shitbags can aspire to be telegraph columnists :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

All telegraph columnists are loving shitbags but not all loving shitbags can aspire to be telegraph columnists :v:

Yes, not all Shitbags get to go to the right school

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Some proper chat on Sky Sports today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEpG5JNWCWI

Literally better than BBC lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This raises an interesting question - what is stopping a government with a comfortable majority just forcing through an enabling act, declaring elections suspended, and then doing whatever the hell the like good or ill (legally speaking, though I doubt whether even that would prompt mass rebellion in loving Britain)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The courts possibly could declare it unconstitutional, but obviously like everything that only matters if it doesn't have popular support.

Recall of course that until the FTPA was written there wasn't a legal mechanism that made elections happen either, every government just agreed to call them about every four years.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

The courts possibly could declare it unconstitutional, but obviously like everything that only matters if it doesn't have popular support.

Recall of course that until the FTPA was written there wasn't a legal mechanism that made elections happen either, every government just agreed to call them about every four years.

And the courts could them be legislated out of all relevance. In practice, if you're willing to ignore all the unwritten rules and gentlemen's agreements there's nothing you can't do with a supportive majority.

I only hope Boris doesn't quite grasp this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another good long read from the inside about some of the less explored elements of Labour's defeat from one of McDonnell's crew.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that I agree with the idea that labour shouldn't have voted for the election... they didn't have a choice? We just barely managed to get the extension and the alternative was crashing out of the EU.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bit of an early morning vent because I can't sleep, but it will be no surprise for people to hear that there has been a continued push of abuse at Muslims in public and on social media.

I've been called a few horrid things over the past week for daring to be brown and popping into my mosque for a cuppa. Another was from someone I served with (not directly aimed at me in this instance). I am confident enough to be thick skinned but it's demoralising being (even a non practicing!) Muslim on the left. I have no idea how people like Aleesha or Hasan Patel put up with it across twitter.

Keep up the fight my dudes.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't forget things like men's toiletries - shaving gear, disposable razors, deodorants that don't smell of flowers (people seem to remember women's ones more than mens), bog roll, and other non-food items. They do tend to get a lot of cereals.

Small jars of coffee, jams and things, UHT milk (remember most food banks have no means of storing perishable items and people dependent on food banks may also have limited access to fridges etc). I know our local food bank opens only on Friday mornings and they get a donation from a local grocer every Friday morning so they can put some fresh fruit and veg in the boxes, but outside of that there is no means for preserving it.

Yeah I've posted this before but doesn't hurt to do it again:

Check with your local food bank. Most have websites these days. Mine had one which told you what they need and importantly what they currently have too much of. Interestingly mine always had too many tins of beans, pasta, cereal and ladies sanitary products. Some food banks will also put leaflets by the donation bins which give you a guide of what kind of things they need.

Commonly on the list for my local one was:

Tinned fruit and veg.
Tinned tomatoes.
Tinned meat.
Tinned custard/rice pudding.
Pasta sauce.
Long life milk/fruit juice.
Spreads (peanut butter, jam etc.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Flipswitch posted:

Bit of an early morning vent because I can't sleep, but it will be no surprise for people to hear that there has been a continued push of abuse at Muslims in public and on social media.

I've been called a few horrid things over the past week for daring to be brown and popping into my mosque for a cuppa. Another was from someone I served with (not directly aimed at me in this instance). I am confident enough to be thick skinned but it's demoralising being (even a non practicing!) Muslim on the left. I have no idea how people like Aleesha or Hasan Patel put up with it across twitter.

Keep up the fight my dudes.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. You deserve better from this country :(

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

The simple honest truth is we lost this election the moment we agreed to it. We should never have allowed the Tories to have had this election on their terms. We started the campaign polling around 23% in the polls and agreed to a shorter election period than in 2017, and to take place over winter just before Christmas. You didn’t need to see the results coming on Friday 13th to think this election had a lot of bad omens.

The poor weather on polling day did play a small factor, overall turnout (which Labour was relying on being up after a spike in new registrations) was down and it was also down in many northern seats. However, more importantly was the simplicity of the Tory message “Get Brexit Done”, and the fact the election was taking place at a time in the negotiations when the Tories could claim they had an “over ready” deal.

To be fair, the election occurred because the Lib Dems and the SNP looked to be signalling around the end of October that they would vote with the Tories to have a snap election. This put Labour in a very tough position. The frustration of activists to get out on the stump should have been checked by wiser owls.

But caught between this passionate activist base desperate to take the fight to the Tories, and parliament prepared to vote for a snap election it was hard for the leadership to vote against...

But maybe we do need to develop some internal if not external tests or metrics by which the NEC judge on a quarterly or annual basis whether we are ready to go into the next election. And if we are not meeting agreed milestones then those responsible are held to account. Otherwise regardless of leader we will risk repeat this performance.

Mills is either confused or disingenuous here; the debate for months was over whether to have a second referendum first (which Thornberry now claims to have secretly favoured on get-it-out-of-the-way grounds) or whether to keep steadfastly whipping for a general election first. As late as September, Conference offered the leadership a get-out-of-2017-commitment-jail card for free and the leadership whipped very hard against it, with Corbyn tabling the Brexit statement to the NEC, which duly presented it to Conference, which duly passed that instead (observe that this is just the left's factional capital being expended - the NEC is not bound by cabinet collective responsibility, even in theory; if the left can frame these votes as votes of confidence in the leadership, empowering the NEC as Mill suggests presents no meaningful check). If the leadership secretly felt that the polls were terrible and were secretly not subscribers to the it-was-Corbyn's-personal-touch theory of 2017, they were indeed working very hard to mislead their own activists and it is hardly shocking that 1) activists were thusly misled, and 2) party apparatchiks who did buy into the New Permanent Labour Majority found their decisions unchallengeable until the reality eventually dispelled the bubble. The "passionate activist base desperate to take the fight to the Tories" was very much its own doing. If one can pinpoint a critical mistake there, that was it, and directly traceable to the person of J. Corbs.

(I have argued at length that the leadership did secretly think that the polls were terrible, have been terrible since just months from the 2017 GE, and that this was the real reason they were hesitating from a general election in end 2018 and again in the leadup to the GE vote in 2019)

quote:

Once the starting pistol for the election was fired, Labour’s strategy in this campaign was quite a simple one. Rebuild the coalition of voters who backed the party in 2017 in order to hold our gains in that election, and hopefully build momentum in the campaign to secure more seats to obtain the largest party status. Obviously, achieving a majority would have been the top target but getting a Labour government by any path was the clear overall goal.

To achieve this, they had to squeeze the Lib Dem, SNP and Green vote especially to get back those who were supporting those parties now but who supported us in 2017.

This involved a two-twin approach of big paternalistic domestic policy offers to get their attention, and by promising a second referendum with remain on the ballot. To shore up its Brexit leaning voters there would be a Soft Brexit offer also on the ballot in any referendum. Although this strategy was predicated on a failed assumption that Labour leave voters were “soft”, in other words likely to pick Labour’s domestic offer over any desire for Brexit, it was a fair assumption to make. And it probably could have worked similar to how it did in 2017...

But some advisers need to look at themselves too. I know the ones who pushed back and those in the operation who didn’t. I also know the ones those who fought petty sectarian battles when they should have remembered what we were fighting for and showed solidarity. Sadly, some of the worst offenders were in the ascendancy since 2017.

There was a change in our economic approach at this election and this was down to bad advice. In the aftermath it has given all the ammunition our opponents needed to criticise our radical policy offer.

There was also no clear electoral strategy being implemented. I lost count of how many times I have heard activists complain that they were being sent to hopeless seats, while winnable ones were bereft of resources. ... There is no denying that this was a Brexit election. Our position was a failure, but likely so was the other alternative. If we had come out clearly either way we would have equally likely lost seats.

This does give some insight into the "why did Labour initially move to kneecap the Lib Dems with free broadband first" question I had... but of course that would be a defensive approach directly contradictory to the "actually, Leave-leaning Labour constituencies of older voters" offensive strategy pursued later. Obviously there was sharp disagreement between Labour's electoral strategists. Again, arguably self-inflicted - the leadership machined very hard to prevent this indecision from being resolved via party mandate.

He's right that the end of ambiguity would have sucked either way. My sense is that leaning more Remain would have reduced losses but it's certainly arguable.

quote:

Some may say we never had this in the past and blame the leadership for our lack of preparedness, but if you want to genuinely solve it going forward we need to lever responsibility away from much of these day-to-day issues from LOTO. They have enough to be getting on with, and should instead feed in and set objectives. If the party is to be a 21st century social movement as many members are calling for then we need to update much of our archaic party architecture.

As someone who has sat in election planning meetings, officials tend to hold back hard truths, and politicians or advisers representing the leadership sometimes don’t want to hear them. These need to be objective project managed processes devoid of personal qualms on either side. If key goals have not been met at specific times then there needs to be a serious appraisal and revaluation of the strategy. At present these goals are not as clear as they should be, and there is a culture for reassessment to be ducked or avoided.

Labour moved position to backing a second referendum in July following on from agreement by the general secretaries of major Labour affiliated trade unions. The next few months followed internal struggles over what this new position meant before it was agreed at the party conference in September. Although even after this the Deputy Leader continued to oppose this agreed position.

This latter act of indiscipline showed the contrast between the two parties. Johnson crushed his internal opponents in weeks, whereas the outdated obtuse structures of the Labour Party shielded Corbyn’s. ....

It's not like May found it easy to corral her dissidents (e.g. Johnson) when she was leader... it's true that these processes paralyze parties, but the prima facie necessity of OMOV internal party processes is now an overwhelming consensus in the UK.

Note that Mill is referring to internal opponents on the left here...

Mills puts a finger exactly on the problem, but not solutions, if any really exist. Labour's enforcement of meaningful collective cabinet responsibility has been problematic ever since Tony Benn set a precedent that openly flouting it would instead lead to a triumphant career as a dissident tribune, rather than one's party role ending right there. And since no ministers can be trusted, even today those of the big four, everything needs to be centralized to trusted advisers directly answerable to the PMO - ideally those whose political skills are so abysmal they wouldn't be able to pursue a career independently. And that necessitates presidential leaderships, shadow party organizations that can be trusted to take political goals as given rather than using their execution roles and expertise to brief against them, and objective advisers who submit their objective reports confidentially rather than being answerable to those whose careers only benefit from instantly leaking it (a risk that is very much already general consciousness - see, e.g., Andrew Fisher's despair over confidential reports being left uncovered). The need to subordinate that organization only to the PMO/LOTO centralizes responsibility for decisions in a presidential leadership anyway, with the formal party relegated to generating acclamations on-demand as political capital that can pay for its occasional unrestrainable bouts of pique.

Mill is not wrong on what needs to be done for organizational success, but fundamentally that organization cannot be the party organization, and the post-New-Labour left's experiments with empowering Labour HQ have only underscored the structural reasons why the Mandelson machine, the boring Conferences, the quiescent NPF, &c existed to begin with. It's what works, regardless of the faction in power.

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 23, 2019

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
So custodial sentencing doesn't work for young offenders. What does? Mandatory empathy classes, community service, randomly getting the poo poo kicked out of them once a month?

I just find it night and day how this thread initially reacted to this homophobic assault.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ronya posted:

Lots of words

I agree with this assessment - and one big disappointment for a lot of people that initially supported corbyn (myself included) was his ostensible commitment to party democracy through membership-led policy formulation was very much a lip-service to be employed when it benefitted the leadership, or potentially McCluskey, given how much authority he appears to have been given over the party structure. The commitment to be clear and forthright also gave way to triangulation and ‘strategic ambiguity’ very quickly, despite the concern many had over triangulation as a strategy. Maybe in itself this wouldn’t have been a bad thing, save for the commitment to do the opposite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShredsYouSay posted:

So custodial sentencing doesn't work for young offenders. What does? Mandatory empathy classes, community service, randomly getting the poo poo kicked out of them once a month?

I just find it night and day how this thread initially reacted to this homophobic assault.
It's pretty consistent. The original response was "the assault was bad, but it's also bad that there were 1,200 other homophobic assaults that didn't get nearly as much press coverage" and the response is "we should do the thing that works and not the thing that appeals to primate anger and doesn't work".

In this case community orders work slightly better than custodial sentencing at preventing reoffending, and a decent probation and social sector works better than either.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rarity posted:

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. You deserve better from this country :(

Thanks Rarity. A lot of people seem to think racism doesn't happen in the UK, usually because they haven't had to deal with it personally. The others are just bastards.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks Rarity. A lot of people seem to think racism doesn't happen in the UK, usually because they haven't had to deal with it personally. The others are just bastards.

Sorry this happened to you Flipswitch.
Unfortunately I can only see matters worsening for muslims under this government coupled with so many British people thinking it is acceptable to hate on muslims.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
The medium post is interesting but what does Mills suggest? hope that Boris tore the party apart in the two months before Brexit happened? That the ERG would suddenly not be ok with no deal? The executive was already castrated but it's not like Macron would have stopped being a piece of poo poo during a national strike and caved on another year because it might have helped his beloved friends, the socialists. He wasn't going to allow the tories to lose.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

the previous fallback was the Parliament Act 1911 which automatically dissolved Parliament five years after its first sitting day (and was one of the reasons Major was forced into the 1997 election).

Before that was the Septennial Act 1716 which set this term at seven years (both are now repealed by the FTPA), and before that was the Meeting of Parliament Act / Triennial Act 1694 which set it at three years (and was partly repealed by the Statute Law Revision Act 1867)

The dangerous part is that by repealing the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011 wholesale and not replacing it with legislation that defines the maximum length of a parliament, there will be no formal timeout to dissolve parliament other than by the government's bidding. The Conservative Manifesto 2019 does not define replacement, only

quote:

We will get rid of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act - it has led to paralysis at a time the country needed decisive action

e: unless of course repealling the FTPA unrepeales the Parliament Act 1911 provision - I am not a lawyer so not sure how the repealling of an act that repealls a previous act works in our house of cards of a constitution

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 23, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doccykins posted:

The dangerous part is that by repealing the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011 wholesale and not replacing it with legislation that defines the maximum length of a parliament, there will be no formal timeout to dissolve parliament other than by the government's bidding. The Conservative Manifesto 2019 does not define replacement, only

Does repealing the FTPA not repeal its repealing of the Septennial Act 1716 as amended in 1911?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The new declawed Supreme Court will decide on that in 2024.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

The medium post is interesting but what does Mills suggest? hope that Boris tore the party apart in the two months before Brexit happened? That the ERG would suddenly not be ok with no deal? The executive was already castrated but it's not like Macron would have stopped being a piece of poo poo during a national strike and caved on another year because it might have helped his beloved friends, the socialists. He wasn't going to allow the tories to lose.

the timing in Mills' narrative is off somewhere because the Commons passed the early general election on Oct 31st, shortly after the 3 month extension to 31st Jan was granted. So whatever Labour decides in November can't undo the GE

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Gef the talking mongoose was an unexpected deep cut. (Well worth reading up on the story for a delicious slice of paranormal(?) insanity)