Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

The best (and possibly only good) source of more information would be the Revised Followers of Set book.

I'd recommend it but I don't know much the Ministry in 5E walks it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

Yeah okay gently caress that. Who would even think that'd be a good premise for a game?

In a hosed up way, the game is mildly useful in terms of "this is what a world of human people is like after they've had regular on a wide scale exposure to the Mythos for a good, long while." It could be useful if you want to do something like send your regular D&D/AD&D characters there as part of a "This is what your world will be like if [insert campaign evil] wins" education tour combined with "Oh by the way, you need to get part of the [insert Macguffin to beat the bad guy] while you're there."

Really, though, I'm dropping the subject now. The only reason I brought it up was a counter to Metapod's "hate the players, not the game" bit.

Because Carcosa is a game that very much deserves your hatred. And contempt. And disgust. And absolute refusal to buy or even illegally download (because it might molest your hard drive).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a good game show other than LA By Night? I tried Long Beach by Night and as much as I like B. Dave Walters, there's too many fancy southern accents flying around to handle. And the Penny Arcade one is just bad.

edit: I'm enjoying "Taste of Youth" even though it needs to be organized into a playlist already. Production value is on the lower end but still sounds better than the Penny Arcade thing and the vibe is suitably dark.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 21, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a good game show other than LA By Night? I tried Long Beach by Night and as much as I like B. Dave Walters, there's too many fancy southern accents flying around to handle. And the Penny Arcade one is just bad.

'The Sounds of Silence' from Roll4It starts off well at least, but I haven't gotten too far into it. You've also got Blood on the Thames but I haven't really tried it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there a good podcast thingy for promethean? The only one I've found was kinda confusing and poorly done.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: I'm enjoying "Taste of Youth" even though it needs to be organized into a playlist already. Production value is on the lower end but still sounds better than the Penny Arcade thing and the vibe is suitably dark.

"Sounds of Silence" is pretty good and there's also a Chicago by Night chronicle on Youtube that I don't remember if I started or not.

Blood on the Thames is pretty good, what little I've watched.

I'll cheap plug my own Bay Area by Night chronicle as well, it's available on iTunes and I'd assume wherever other podcasts are found. I posted a link a couple pages back.

Also https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQANSrvaE2G1BAjYWoD7a45TnWvvSgakW Taste of Youth playlist

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

"Sounds of Silence" is pretty good and there's also a Chicago by Night chronicle on Youtube that I don't remember if I started or not.

Yeah, it started a couple of months back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRiK6a_Ans

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Dawgstar posted:

'The Sounds of Silence' from Roll4It

Why do people insist on saddling their media entries with names that have no chance of ever ranking highly in a search for that term?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dross posted:

Why do people insist on saddling their media entries with names that have no chance of ever ranking highly in a search for that term?

"Coolness" beats accessibility?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The narrative history is going to need to be split into volumes. It was already pretty unwieldy as just a list of events.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Loomer posted:

The narrative history is going to need to be split into volumes. It was already pretty unwieldy as just a list of events.

My anticipation continues to build unabated.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

It will sit proudly on my shelf next to Beckett's Jyhad Phone Book.

"Loomers History of the WoD volume 1-Please god I just want to sleep"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
How do you take a cheesy paperback about a Tremere with the Tagline ‘She was America’s secret weapon in WW2!’ and ruin it so completely that there’s no joy in it and it’s impossible to reconcile with the canon?

You let Brian Herbert write it. Blood on the Sun is quite possibly the single worst oWoD novel ever published.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Where do Breathe Deeply and Call of Battle fall on that scale. If tremere agent woman is making up the bottom rung?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Two rungs up, just above As One Dead. They’re bad, but at least they’re vaguely enjoyably bad and their deviations from the established canon are plot points rather than pointless nonsense like all vampires being able to fly across the pacific in the space of an hour or two.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

Two rungs up, just above As One Dead. They’re bad, but at least they’re vaguely enjoyably bad and their deviations from the established canon are plot points rather than pointless nonsense like all vampires being able to fly across the pacific in the space of an hour or two.

Ah yes, the notorious butt-mounted jet nacelle, the least glamorous of all vampowers

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
... under their own power? Like.. in mist form or just supermanning it?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kurieg posted:

... under their own power? Like.. in mist form or just supermanning it?

Just plain supermanning it like Eric Northman. Even fledglings are just up and zooming across the pacific like they’re part of Clan Concorde. Maybe it’s because their grand sire is a two thousand year old Tremere vampire.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Of course the Tremere can time travel, why wouldn't they

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The other problem with Blood on the Sun is that it’s very, very, very bland despite this nonsense. It’s genuinely horribly written in many areas, with basic mistakes of word choice and placement. I could get into a crazy gonzo vampire thing and enjoy it as that if it was written well, but it being a Brian Herbert joint, it not only misses every single shot but actively tries to put the ball inside its own rear end in a top hat rather than playing the game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Loomer posted:

two thousand year old Tremere vampire

Okay hang on-

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Just plain supermanning it like Eric Northman. Even fledglings are just up and zooming across the pacific like they’re part of Clan Concorde. Maybe it’s because their grand sire is a two thousand year old Tremere vampire.

So they're all, like... Fifth Generation?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been ill and I read the oWod novel Gehenna: Final Nights out of pure boredom. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as I feared. I give it a pass mainly because it does not take itself seriously and thorougly trolls and humiliates several well-known characters in the lore. Also acknowledges the events ocurred in Bloodlines, including Caine involvement.

I give it a score of 2.5 dead Hardestadts out of 5.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been ill and I read the oWod novel Gehenna: Final Nights out of pure boredom. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as I feared. I give it a pass mainly because it does not take itself seriously and thorougly trolls and humiliates several well-known characters in the lore. Also acknowledges the events ocurred in Bloodlines, including Caine involvement.

I give it a score of 2.5 dead Hardestadts out of 5.

I reread that about a month ago. It was my introduction to the OWoD back when it came out and I was pleasantly surprised it held up as a fun story, despite the twist being the most obvious poo poo ever.

Also it gets points for killing Hardestadt.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I've seen characters be like "man, ghouls have it rough and we should be better to them" but nowhere have I seen a polite term for them that replaces "ghoul."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So I've seen characters be like "man, ghouls have it rough and we should be better to them" but nowhere have I seen a polite term for them that replaces "ghoul."

You can call them 'indentured' because once you become a vampire you're fully newly dentured.
:haw:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't think "ghoul" is regarded as terribly impolite in the first place.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LatwPIAT posted:

I don't think "ghoul" is regarded as terribly impolite in the first place.

I feel like it's dripping with contempt, or, at best, pity.

Maybe it's just that predators who only seek to be good as a form of moral desert so they can continue to enjoy sapience are barely capable of truly selfless acts

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like it's dripping with contempt, or, at best, pity.

Maybe it's just that predators who only seek to be good as a form of moral desert so they can continue to enjoy sapience are barely capable of truly selfless acts

I don't feel like 'ghoul' is any less polite than 'vampire' - they're both calling someone a monster based on how they drink blood.

Vampires are just the ones with all the power in vampire society.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They probably should have a more flowery word for ghoul like they do with kindred, kine, etc.. Revenant works because it's pretty obscure outside of RPG fans and they're mostly in the thrall of folks unconcerned with the masquerade, but it feels like they overlooked giving ghouls an appropriate euphemism.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Lassitude posted:

They probably should have a more flowery word for ghoul like they do with kindred, kine, etc.. Revenant works because it's pretty obscure outside of RPG fans and they're mostly in the thrall of folks unconcerned with the masquerade, but it feels like they overlooked giving ghouls an appropriate euphemism.

Revenant no longer works in 2e, as it's the term chosen for 2e's accidentally half-Embraced clanless vampires. It doesn't work very well for ghouls anyway, as it means "those who have returned," and ghouls haven't returned from anything. (Of course, ghul are primarily known for a whole bunch of things ghouls don't do, so that's already a bit of a misnomer.)

The closest match that comes to my mind here is "dependent." It's euphemistic, a little condescending without being outright insulting, associates them with the "kindred" while holding them at arm's length, and accurately describes the ghoul condition: regardless of whether they're emotionally dependent on a regnant, they always need a provider, even if one obtained by force.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 23, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Vampires are soulless husks that fool themselves into thinking they're still human. Ghouls are people who opt in to monstrousness for a fix of that good poo poo. Spit on them.

Dec 26, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thrall? Still sucks, but it beats ghoul if you care enough to be nice to them.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a polite term for "crack whore?" Is there a polite terms for somebody so utterly lost to addiction that they'll let you do the vilest, most awful things to their body, even sell their own children, for one more hit?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Everyone posted:

Is there a polite term for "crack whore?" Is there a polite terms for somebody so utterly lost to addiction that they'll let you do the vilest, most awful things to their body, even sell their own children, for one more hit?

Coal lobbyist

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

01011001 posted:

Thrall? Still sucks, but it beats ghoul if you care enough to be nice to them.

"Ward".

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, that works too.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

"Ward" implies someone you protect and have responsibility for specifically, I don't know that it makes sense to use it to describe the metaphysical class of 'people who gain powers from drinking vampire blood.' I mean, in the sense of 'my ghoul' or 'the Elder's ghoul' it totally works, as long as they don't have any non-ghoul wards.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

"Ward" implies someone you protect and have responsibility for specifically, I don't know that it makes sense to use it to describe the metaphysical class of 'people who gain powers from drinking vampire blood.' I mean, in the sense of 'my ghoul' or 'the Elder's ghoul' it totally works, as long as they don't have any non-ghoul wards.

It's essentailly a euphemism, which vampire society adores. "I'm not enslaving a tool; I'm empowering and protecting this mortal with my supernatural grace." It is not a realsitic term. No realistic term would be anything but insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mendrian posted:

It's essentailly a euphemism, which vampire society adores. "I'm not enslaving a tool; I'm empowering and protecting this mortal with my supernatural grace." It is not a realsitic term. No realistic term would be anything but insulting.

Oh, certainly - I'm just not sure what the term would be for a ghoul just in the physical sense, in that context.