Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rekinom posted:

They're called career widebody bunkie FO's. I'm all about delaying upgrade for QoL, but at some point it gets to be suspect.

Two Kings posted:

Don’t end up as the guy who’s biggest decision as a pilot is which crew meal to choose.

While not always their own fault, wide body FO’s brains seem to turn to oatmeal in the right seat if they remain there for too long.

I agree with all of that, and I caught myself almost becoming one when I was in a base with a lot of instructors, I was stuck in the third seat most of the time. I expired for landings twice in one year. When I finally upgraded it took me a while to “get back in shape”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wait, relief crew is actually a separate bid line?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

No, but some senior FO’s are lazy and will find ways to pull seniority so that they will have to put the least amount of effort while at work. They are effectively career relief crews.

In my case, because most of the captains I got paired with were instructors, they would assign a trainee to those flights, and I would have no choice but to be a relief FO.

Work consisted of helping out where I could, keeping an eye on things from a more detached POV (they call the jumpseat the ‘smart seat’ for a reason), and knowing all the cool places to hang out during layovers.

Animal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 23, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

No, but some senior FO’s are lazy and will find ways to pull seniority so that they will have to put the least amount of effort while at work. They are effectively career relief crews.

Ah, ok.

They’d fit in well in the FAA.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

yeah my instructor the other day was complaining that the weather's been so poo poo that he'll have people come in for their appointment, welp can't fly, do 30 minutes of ground, sit around 2 hours, next person, welp can't fly, 30 minutes of ground, sit around 2 hours, repeat. seems pretty frustrating.

That weather seems to be the pattern here too. Last time I was scheduled, we scrubbed due to weather, and so did literally every other of the 7 or 8 lessons that day.

Sagebrush posted:

otoh we did a night cross country to castle AFB, which is a former SAC B-52 base with a 12,000' runway with all the big lights, and most of it was VFR over the clouds (first time i've done that, let alone at night) and he commented that it was fun to do something unusual like that since most of his flights are just riding herd in the pattern so that made me feel happy.

also pretty hilarious operating from a runway like that in a 152. landed and lifted off before the first taxiway with no special efforts, and even at near maximum weight i was at pattern altitude before passing the opposite numbers

Definitely the best part of flying dinky little planes out of a 'real' airport. Usually I make my crosswind turn above the numbers. Night XC is real fun. I don't need any more night time, but I would do another dual night XC just for the fun of it.

Finally got back in a plane yesterday after almost 6 weeks off. Went up with the chief instructor, who I've only flown with once before. It was pretty bumpy, so we ended up coming back to the pattern pretty directly -- which was really bumpy as well, downwind to base corner had some drafts that shot us up ~300ft. Overall it was great to get back up there, and get in some bumps not-solo after my last traumatizing solo in bad mountain-wave experience. Also nice to 'impress' (i.e. be unremarkably okay at flying), a relative-stranger instructor enough to sign off a new solo endorsement without any hesitation -- I guess it's probably rare somebody regresses badly enough to stop soloing, but I did figure I'd have to get the guy I've flown 20+ hours with to vouch for me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went gliding again for the first time since September yesterday and had to cut down to a 10 minute flight because the motion sickness and heat got to me right away :saddowns:

I think I must have lost some of my conditioning because I've been far longer through more turbulent flying before so I get to build up again. Oh well I've got some time off over the holidays to get going again and at least this time I didn't barf. Looking forward to having it properly under control.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I guess it's probably rare somebody regresses badly enough to stop soloing

You guess wrong.

But, yeah, if you're a strong student, pretty much any instructor is going to be able to look at your skills and go "hey, this guy's safe to solo" pretty quick. There are a few key things I look for, and if I see all of them done well, then I'll sign you out for solos with just a thorough pre-flight briefing on whatever exercises I want you to do, just in case you've forgotten anything over time. Otherwise, I may have to do a more thorough review of everything.

EDIT: And I don't know how it works in the States, but the instructor who signed you off as safe is probably also relying on your training record with every other instructor you've flown with as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My emphasis.

quote:

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education Important Charter Guidance for Pilots and Passengers

Notice Number: NOTC9901

Today, booking a charter flight can be as easy as tapping a few buttons on your mobile device. But that doesn’t mean the flight is legal or safe.

The FAA’s top priority is ensuring the safety of the traveling public, and it’s critical that both pilots and passengers confirm that the charter flights they’re providing and receiving comply with all applicable Federal Aviation Regulations.

If you pay for a charter flight, you are entitled to a higher level of safety than is required from a free flight from a friend. Among other things, pilots who transport paying passengers must have the required qualifications and training, are subject to random drug and alcohol testing, and the aircraft used must be maintained to the high standards that the FAA’s charter regulations require.

The FAA recently sent a letter about this issue to a company called Blackbird Air that created a web-based application that connects passengers with pilots. The letter emphasizes an FAA policy about the requirements for pilots who are paid to fly passengers. The policy states that pilots who are paid to fly passengers generally can’t just hold the required Commercial or Airline Transport pilot license – they also must be employed by the company operating the flight, which must hold a certificate issued under Part 119 of the Federal Aviation Regulations. Or the pilots must themselves hold a Part 119 certificate.

Any pilot who provides charter flights without complying with the Part 119 certificate requirement would be violating the Federal Aviation Regulations – even if they possess a Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot license. The FAA’s determination has been upheld in federal court.

A current listing of FAA-licensed charter providers is available here.

Q&A

Q: I have a Commercial/Airline Transport Pilot license. Why can’t I simply sign up on a web-based app as a pilot for hire and get paid to fly passengers?

A: The FAA has determined that pilots who participate in a for-hire service are holding themselves out as providers of common carriage. As such, they must be employed by the company operating the flight that holds a certificate issued under Part 119 of the Federal Aviation Regulations or must themselves hold a certificate issued under Part 119. The FAA expects to issue additional written guidance on this issue soon. Pilots who have questions about the legality of a planned operation should contact their local FAA Flight Standards District Office.

Q: I’m a pilot who has conducted flights through Blackbird but I don’t work for a Part 119 certificate holder nor do I have a Part 119 certificate. What’s going to happen to me?

A: At this time, the FAA is reminding pilots and alerting passengers about the requirement that Commercial pilots and Airline Transport Pilots must also conduct charter flights under proper Part 119 certification. The FAA does not plan to take enforcement action against pilots who have conducted prior flights using the Blackbird app without a Part 119 certificate. However, any pilot who doesn’t meet these requirements and conducts for-hire flights going forward could face enforcement action from the FAA.

Q: I was a passenger who paid for a charter flight through Blackbird and the flight was not operated under a Part 119 certificate. Do I face any sanctions?

A: At this time, the FAA does not plan to assess sanctions against any passenger who paid for any such flight. We note, however, that if a passenger accepts operational control over a flight, which means accepting responsibility for the safety of the flight and that it complies with all applicable regulations, that passenger may be responsible for any regulatory violation related to the flight. This could include violations related to the failure to comply with part 119 certification requirements. The FAA strongly encourages passengers to ensure their charter flights meet all applicable regulations.

Q: Is the FAA saying that all flights conducted through Blackbird could potentially violate the Federal Aviation Regulations?

A: No. Flights piloted by properly certificated pilots who are conducting the flight for companies that hold Part 119 certificates, or flights flown by pilots who themselves hold a Part 119 certificate, may comply with the Federal Aviation Regulations.

Q: As a passenger, what should I look for when making arrangements for a charter flight? How can I know if my flight is legal?

A: A current list of FAA-certificated charter providers is available here. Pilot certificate information is available here. Passengers also should ask the pilot if their specific flight is conducted under a Part 119 certificate.

Q: When did the FAA determine that pilots who sign up with on-line for-hire services are holding themselves out as engaged in common carriage requiring a Part 119 certificate?

A: This has been the FAA’s longstanding policy consistent with the regulations that govern common carriage operations. The FAA issued determinations in 2014 to companies called Flytenow and Air Pooler that apply this longstanding policy to web-based initiatives. Blackbird’s platform is similar to those companies’ platforms.

Q: When was the court ruling that upheld the FAA’s determination?

A: In 2015, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld the FAA’s determination in the case Flytenow, Inc. v Federal Aviation Administration.

https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/noticeView.aspx?nid=9901

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 23, 2019

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sagebrush posted:

yeah my instructor the other day was complaining that the weather's been so poo poo that he'll have people come in for their appointment, welp can't fly, do 30 minutes of ground, sit around 2 hours, next person, welp can't fly, 30 minutes of ground, sit around 2 hours, repeat. seems pretty frustrating.

otoh we did a night cross country to castle AFB, which is a former SAC B-52 base with a 12,000' runway with all the big lights, and most of it was VFR over the clouds (first time i've done that, let alone at night) and he commented that it was fun to do something unusual like that since most of his flights are just riding herd in the pattern so that made me feel happy.

also pretty hilarious operating from a runway like that in a 152. landed and lifted off before the first taxiway with no special efforts, and even at near maximum weight i was at pattern altitude before passing the opposite numbers

I did private at a Class C airport which had long since lost its hub for a major, but still had a decent cargo operation going on. It was one thing to be in and around A300s, but doing pattern work one Sunday while a one-off Atlas 747 departed one of the intersecting runways was even cooler.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any SE MI goons want to gently caress around with parts from a Stratux? I'm getting rid of everything except the Pi itself. The antennae aren't in perfect shape but they work well enough. Free to anyone around the ARB/YIP area (you get both antennas, AHRS module, and case with suction cups). Heading to training next week so if there's any interest it's gotta go this week or it'll have to wait a couple months.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Did unusual attitude recovery today under the hood, which was a fun change of pace. My instructor tried to get me to setup one the unusual attitudes by doing a turn without looking at instruments or outside.... The joke was on her though, somehow I managed a 360* std rate turn one way, and then the other within about 50ft. Dumb luck, but pretty funny. Descending turn without looking was another story, that was about 5 seconds away from "and recover".

Also slow flight by instrument ref is a whole hell of a lot harder than normal flight, the sloppy mushing really throws off your inner ear/etc.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, I’ve been having fun setting up unusual attitudes with a couple students by having them close their eyes and try to just maintain straight and level by feel. Takes about 45 seconds usually, and a great test of how well they’ve internalized the recovery technique.

“Still feel straight and level?”
“Yeah”
“Ok open your eyes”
“OH poo poo”

I feel like it won’t get old for a while.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
If you're in a plane where you can do it without them noticing mess with the trim while they have their eyes closed. It's amazing how just a little change in yoke pressure can totally mess you up if you're not expecting it.

MrYenko posted:

We call them FB and FC. I have no idea what those actually mean but everyone just refers to them as the food boy and film critic because that's all they do. It's pretty common for them to have to re-qual on the sim every 90 days because they haven't had their 3 landings.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 23, 2019

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

IGI prep fun times has me curiously trying a different strategy to study. It's been between 4 (AGI) and 9 (Instrument) years since I've seen the question bank, so I'm using myself as a guinea pig to do the questions blindly to see where I'm weak/strong as opposed to the traditional "read the outlines, do the questions" approach. So far, I have a 73, 80, 73, 75, 79, and 87 on the sections I've hit. Has anybody ever done anything similar when you're already familiar with much of the content?

My plan is to eventually review everything to make sure I understand it and also ensure the best score possible both for a bit of pride but, more importantly, to build in enough buffer to stay as far above 70 as possible. There's also some new stuff (BasicMed) in the FAR section which wasn't there in 2015 I'll need to brush up on.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Had a sweet day of flying this afternoon/evening. Preflighted the 172, but the flaps were dead as poo poo. I was already a manual flap convert, but today really sealed the deal. Jumped over to the Cherokee and flew a mini XC, then home with a DME arc and ILS approach under the hood -- which is all completely new stuff, but a good way to wrap my 3 hours of instrument ref.

(Sagebrush, we're real synced up apparently -- ) I got to VFR over the top today, at sunset, but I had the loving hood on so I didn't really get to appreciate it. Should have called a timeout for a picture or something.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Made out up yesterday for 30 minutes, first time in just over 6 weeks. Trying to conserve dollars until the written is was done and focus on oral and check ride skills. Passed the written this morning, so one step closer.

yellowD fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 27, 2019

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rekinom posted:

That was my old seat. You'll like it, lots of movement so you won't be on reserve for long, and good variety of trips. The captains are generally pretty cool and we have the best flight office in the company (although the CP got promoted recently).

I've heard good things about the prior LAX CP, and hopefully the new one is liked as well...

KodiakRS posted:

Do you get to go for a swim and climb into the raft as well? Depending on how many people are in your class and how big your rafts are you're going to get to know your classmates way more than you ever wanted to.

We did not. Sad. I did the dunk trainer, swim and raft climb at Aperture, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Bad news, y’all: someone has REPORTED US TO TRANSPORT CANADA for flying our “puddle jumper” [a direct quote, including quotation marks] over the city of Calgary somewhat near not ONE but TWO jets and causing congested airspace so, yeah, I’ll probably be looking for a new job soon, I’m sure Transport Canada takes the ramblings of unmedicated lunatics very seriously indeed :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
One day, a single C-5 from San Antonio was doing practice approaches to Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, and the calls were relentless.

"There are 5 military jets making attack runs on downtown!"

"These airplanes are violating the airspace over my property!"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Every time I practice emergencies I wonder what the people on the ground think when they see a dinky little plane diving for their house.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

One day, a single C-5 from San Antonio was doing practice approaches to Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, and the calls were relentless.

"There are 5 military jets making attack runs on downtown!"

"These airplanes are violating the airspace over my property!"

Checks out, C-5s are actually a sonic weapon.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
If I have a European PPL and I go for a sightseeing flight with this guy https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/109978?source=p2 where I do most of the flying, can I log that time (not as PIC obviously)?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Per posted:

If I have a European PPL and I go for a sightseeing flight with this guy https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/109978?source=p2 where I do most of the flying, can I log that time (not as PIC obviously)?

Yes you can. As long as he’s an instructor, you’re fine.

Edit: if/when you book, let the instructor know what your prior experience is, how recently you’ve flown, etc. so they don’t get taken by surprise when their intro flight passenger turns out to be a licensed pilot.

This goes for anyone booking a flight like this: the more I know about what you want to do on the flight, the more I can pre-plan to make it as awesome as possible.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 31, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
https://streamable.com/c2skh

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
gently caress you I was racing to post this! :lol::lol::lol:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 31, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:perfect:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

gently caress you I was racing to post this!

:spergin:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
:lol: that's awesome!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is that the guy everyone made fun of here for awhile because wow those approaches.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

Is that the guy everyone made fun of here for awhile because wow those approaches.

Yep, that's Jerry.

Having his greatest hits cut together is just :discourse:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
There was, however, a missed opportunity to cut a piece of footage of him in an office/FBO snack room/whatever into the classroom segment.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
The "break right, break right" at the end with him going left is just perfection

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
This is what obliviousness looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-hMDGwWQoc

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

e.pilot posted:

I haven't seen some of these clips.

Holy poo poo he needs to be stopped.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
God drat I love Jerry so much. The taxi into the truck was one I hadn’t seen before.

Thanks for the introduction thread!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

lmao

"I don't know whether to be offended or complemented"

Jesus, he really doesn't, does he :allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

I couldn't watch the whole thing.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

First oral prep went well, way better than I'd of guessed. All that's left is some studying, 1 more mock oral, 3 hours of review. This might actually happen

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I’ve got a couple old FAR/AIMs, textbooks and POHs that I want to get rid of.

Is there anyone I could give them to who would find value in them? Anything I need to reference I have in my EFB so they are taking up space and don’t want to just throw them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

They’re garbage, OP.

mlmp etc