Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Did you unlock the secret bench that cuts the run back in half?

Is this the one on the "bottom floor" in a huge honey drop or is there another, because if so I would like to be spoiled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Hey cool, I too love inexplicably making GBS threads on what other people like

Didn't you know? That's why the inter net super information highway was invented

I've been fighting the urge to do a replay on my pc recently. The reason I don't want to is because I have a tonne of other great games I want to get to, and I don't want to burn myself out on the format just in time for Silksongs release next year, but the reason I do want to is that is's just such a good game.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Cactus posted:

Silksongs release next year

Has this been said? I thought there wasn't really even a ballpark estimate right now.
Team Cherry likes to really take their time with stuff, which considering the results is the correct approach.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

If you don't want people to poo poo on what you like, maybe try liking better things.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I Said No posted:

Has this been said? I thought there wasn't really even a ballpark estimate right now.
Team Cherry likes to really take their time with stuff, which considering the results is the correct approach.

No, but it's going to be. That's my prediction and I'm 97% sure it's right.

edit: To go down below 50% sure, I'll guess it'll be a few months after Cyberpunk.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 23, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I wonder if there will be some goofy Metroid Prime “thing” that nerfs Hornet’s powers at the start of the game. Won’t care either way, game is going to be amazing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cartoon Man posted:

I wonder if there will be some goofy Metroid Prime “thing” that nerfs Hornet’s powers at the start of the game. Won’t care either way, game is going to be amazing.

I mean, we already know Hornet is very strong, but her power definitely comes with strings attached

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

nrook posted:

I mean, we already know Hornet is very strong, but her power definitely comes with strings attached

This is the worst post ever made on these forums.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I kind of assumed Silksong would be set before Hollow Knight.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

stev posted:

I kind of assumed Silksong would be set before Hollow Knight.

The blog post TC made for the reveal trailer calls it a “full-scale sequel”. I guess it could be set before HK but I don’t know of any reason to assume that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mymla posted:

If you don't want people to poo poo on what you like, maybe try liking better things.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mymla posted:

This is the worst post ever made on these forums.

I'm glad you took back the Worst Poster title from that pretender

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nrook posted:

hissssssssssssss

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

RCarr posted:

I’d like to see a Venn diagram of people who enjoyed/hated the white palace and people who played Celeste.

Love Celeste, hate Palace. Hate is a bit too strong, it was tedious and too much of a departure from the main game.
And Celeste did right by abolishing lives or health.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

Love Celeste, hate Palace. Hate is a bit too strong, it was tedious and too much of a departure from the main game.
And Celeste did right by abolishing lives or health.

Lives and health don’t matter for the white palace though? (Assuming you use the correct combination of charms)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

It's not inexplicable. The white palace is bad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arrhythmia posted:

It's actually extremely good.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

RCarr posted:

Lives and health don’t matter for the white palace though? (Assuming you use the correct combination of charms)

Imagine going into the Palace without Hiveblood.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

I don't think there's any denying that Celeste does platforming better than Hollow Knight. It is, after all, what that game is entirely designed around.

I don't know if I'd call White Palace bad, but it's definitely not leaning on the strongest part of the gameplay. I found myself not enjoying White Palace the first time through the game. Once I got a feel for the mechanics, I have enjoyed every subsequent playthrough of it. It's hard to quantify if that's just because I know what's coming or if I genuinely enjoy those platforming challenges now. I played Celeste after having played Hollow Knight and found almost all of that game to be tougher than what White Palace threw at me, and yet I was never as frustrated as I was playing through WP the first time. I think it's just that the platforming isn't as polished in HK. :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Hiveblood is for scrubzzz," I scream into the uncaring void

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not sure how HK platforming could possibly be more polished.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

No Wave posted:

I'm not sure how HK platforming could possibly be more polished.

I think the infinite soul totems in PoP are an effective acknowledgement of a weakness in the platforming gameplay. One could argue that managing health through the instant death spike areas were an intentional design decision in HK, but the infinite totems at places where you respawn sort of nullify that argument in PoP. And since that area is an optional ultra hard platforming challenge, it means that TC doesn't intend for management of health through those platforms to be the thing they're testing with the platforming.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Who cares, let people enjoy things that you don't like without comment, shitbird

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

brain dammej posted:

I think the infinite soul totems in PoP are an effective acknowledgement of a weakness in the platforming gameplay. One could argue that managing health through the instant death spike areas were an intentional design decision in HK, but the infinite totems at places where you respawn sort of nullify that argument in PoP. And since that area is an optional ultra hard platforming challenge, it means that TC doesn't intend for management of health through those platforms to be the thing they're testing with the platforming.

I think they designed it that way so that the WP would be doable by mere mortals and not only exclusively Super Meat Boy pain machines

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I think they designed it that way so that the WP would be doable by mere mortals and not only exclusively Super Meat Boy pain machines

Indeed, that's sort of the point I'm trying to make. Had they been confident in the platforming mechanics, they wouldn't have needed to make such a concession.

I did enjoy PoP, FWIW.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

brain dammej posted:

Or maybe for the standard White Palace they were okay with the restriction of health (which could be defeated by cleverly realising what charms negate it, or just being told by someone) but for the far more ridiculous Path of Pain challenge they thought it'd be unfair.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Who cares, let people enjoy things that you don't like without comment, shitbird

Make me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

brain dammej posted:

I think the infinite soul totems in PoP are an effective acknowledgement of a weakness in the platforming gameplay.

That doesn't really follow; by that argument every bench or soul/health restoration mechanism would be an acknowledgement of a gameplay weakness.

They're really just creating invisible containers for each platforming subsection. Health management is being tested, but only within each subsection. This improves accessibility while providing clearly defined checkpoints for the player to feel a repeating sense of accomplishment, it's good game design.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The white palace is the game's sewer level. Path of pain is a lovely mario romhack.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No, Royal Waterways are the sewer level.

White Palace is good.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't really follow; by that argument every bench or soul/health restoration mechanism would be an acknowledgement of a gameplay weakness.

They're really just creating invisible containers for each platforming subsection. Health management is being tested, but only within each subsection. This improves accessibility while providing clearly defined checkpoints for the player to feel a repeating sense of accomplishment, it's good game design.

That's a fair point, but it clearly could have been accomplished in a far less clunky way. Having to thwack a totem and spend time healing to retry a platforming section is busywork that breaks the flow-- which doesn't sound like good game design to me. It certainly doesn't _feel_ fun when you're on your 40th attempt. :v:

I realize that this is probably a rehash of a debate that was had months ago. Sorry folks. HK good, need silksong.

brain dammej fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 23, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't wait for Silksong's White Palace equivalent where you do it with her mobility toolkit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

White palace rules as does Celeste

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The White Place is bad.

Not because it's hard or a shift in gameplay but because it's twenty minutes of constant buzzsaw noises.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I can't wait for Silksong's White Palace equivalent where you do it with her mobility toolkit.

:agreed:
Hornet looks so smooth.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
She's gonna look a lot less smooth when I control her and keep loving up :shepface:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Path of Pain was way too easy, needed to be longer with fewer checkpoints and more surprise fights.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I got an ending, but have no desire to 100% it, or even 114(?)%. But, I'll get Silksong, too.
Merry Christmas.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Decided to finally go after Radiance and get the good ending on my second play through. Never could do it on my first play through six months ago. I could barely beat the Hollow Knight and get the bad ending.

I must’ve got gud, cause that poo poo only took my 30-40 minutes and maybe 10 attempts or so!
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Decided to finally go after Radiance and get the good ending on my second play through. Never could do it on my first play through six months ago. I could barely beat the Hollow Knight and get the bad ending.

I must’ve got gud, cause that poo poo only took my 30-40 minutes and maybe 10 attempts or so!
:stare:

If only there was a thir ending... to prove you've TRULY got gud.