Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Tippy-tip of the postgame spoilers ahead in the form of a cry for aid. I'll keep it pretty generic but I'm covering it up just in case.

Anyone have tips for the post-postgame Tickington battles? I'm playing on Stronger Monsters. I was able to beat the big boss without reducing his power (just for style points) but I'm getting creamed by these. I'm not sure what to even do besides grind seeds or pep pops which seems pretty lame.

I tried Googling this but I could only find other people complaining about it. Which checks out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Detective No. 27 posted:

The entirety of the gold golem chapter is lead up to a galaxy brain level pun.

As I am highly unlikely to play Builders 2, what is the pun? (In spoiler text, for other people's sake.)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Xalidur posted:

Tippy-tip of the postgame spoilers ahead in the form of a cry for aid. I'll keep it pretty generic but I'm covering it up just in case.

Anyone have tips for the post-postgame Tickington battles? I'm playing on Stronger Monsters. I was able to beat the big boss without reducing his power (just for style points) but I'm getting creamed by these. I'm not sure what to even do besides grind seeds or pep pops which seems pretty lame.

I tried Googling this but I could only find other people complaining about it. Which checks out...

Yggdragon's Blessing abuse + lots of Magic Bursts from Veronica. Grind those Pep Pops. Keep in mind that pep status does not carry over from 3d to 2d. I still haven't beat Timewyrm on Stronger Monsters just yet. Literally the last thing to do for me.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
Hoisted by my own petard

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I like puns as much as the next guy, but I really have to wonder if “Metal King Gooreatsword” was really nessecary.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I like puns as much as the next guy, but I really have to wonder if “Metal King Gooreatsword” was really nessecary.

The answer is always yes.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The pun that made me fall in love with DQ's localisations was IV's Ultraviolent Ray.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Orange Crush Rush posted:

There are more than a dozen such named weapons in Heroes as free DLC. And it is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The puns are charming but I'm more entertained by them orienting monsters together like they're interacting. Slimes following Bongo Drongos, Whackers sitting in front of a Professauraus. That's really cool to me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Any tips on catching metal slimes out in the over world map? They run when I get close and I'm not sure how to approach to initiate a battle.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You're playing DQ7 remake, right? I forget, does Padfoot make you invisible to monsters in that version of the game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wow 11 switch, uh... really looks a lot worse docked, huh

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I think it looks fine. But then, I am very easily pleased when it comes to graphics, so I am probably not the best judge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What, does it look better on the smaller screen?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

What, does it look better on the smaller screen?

A smaller screen can hide some of the imperfections and isn't uncommon for Switch titles

That said I think it looks fine docked

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I spend most of my time on PC so I'm spoiled when it comes to fuzzies/jaggies and pop-in :v:

but yes, I'd only played in handheld so far, and it looked great there; expanded to a TV just kinda revealed all the warts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

A smaller screen can hide some of the imperfections and isn't uncommon for Switch titles

That said I think it looks fine docked

I double-dipped and flipped back and forth between it and the PS4 version and some things look a bit less good and the models for NPCs have some weird jagged parts around them that don't disappear instantly that I keep noticing but aside from that nothing has really stood out.

I wish they were using DS DQ5 graphics for the 2D parts but that's my only complaint so far.

Anyway, I faintly remember hearing something about a New Game Plus here, is that an actual thing or just, go 2D at the beginning of the game and play it like that's a new game?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

I spend most of my time on PC so I'm spoiled when it comes to fuzzies/jaggies and pop-in :v:

but yes, I'd only played in handheld so far, and it looked great there; expanded to a TV just kinda revealed all the warts

Dragon Quest XI at 1440p and 144fps is really good on pc. It’s only downside is the lack of 2D and the Switch bonus content. For now...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I did it goons.

After 82hrs and 16mins.

I've beaten Dragon Quest VII. :toot:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Prism posted:

As I am highly unlikely to play Builders 2, what is the pun? (In spoiler text, for other people's sake.)

The chapter revolves around mining ores to power up a golem named Goldiblox. You also build a series of increasingly elaborate pubs to motivate the workers, out of copper, silver and then gold. Right before the chapter boss, at the last possible moment, the game drops "Goldiblox and the Three Bars" on you, and I sat in stunned silence for about a minute.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Quest XI at 1440p and 144fps is really good on pc. It’s only downside is the lack of 2D and the Switch bonus content. For now...

I think mine ran closer to 90 fps but yeah, it's really nice on the PC.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

The chapter revolves around mining ores to power up a golem named Goldiblox. You also build a series of increasingly elaborate pubs to motivate the workers, out of copper, silver and then gold. Right before the chapter boss, at the last possible moment, the game drops "Goldiblox and the Three Bars" on you, and I sat in stunned silence for about a minute.

I love it.

DQ just going strong on awful amazing puns and dad jokes is one of my favorite things in gaming.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Snofeld posted:

Perfect.

I'd say more games should do this but there's probably an overload point. I am, however, very glad Dragon Quest does it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think I might be an idiot, but whatever, I've aired greater idiocy on these forums before. I started a file, faffed about, then started another file, after buying XI, and I could not for the life of me see how to select any of the difficulty trial things. In the demo, I remember it just automatically asking which ones you wanted if any, but I didn't get the option with the full release. I didn't see a button prompt for them or anything, but again, I might be an idiot here.

What am I missing, for when I start a second run through and want to use them?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
It should let you select the draconian quest options right after you select new game, iirc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On switch at least you press X during new game setup to pull up the challenges

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

On switch at least you press X during new game setup to pull up the challenges

Cool, I knew I was missing something probably blindingly obvious. Thanks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, I can never quite seem to return to DQB2 after any significant length of time without completely losing my place. No clue what I should be doing. I think I'm condemned to restart the game every time I want to play. Wonder why I've yet to get past the first village.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You haven't met Ham Shamwitch and Sham Hatwitch yet.

I know they make figures of all the various slimes (including metal slimes!!), but I would pay a lot for a Ham Shamwitch keychain fob.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been dying to put a decal of a slime on my car. A simple, basic slime. The closest I can find is a slime stack.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been dying to put a decal of a slime on my car. A simple, basic slime. The closest I can find is a slime stack.

These are available on Etsy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never thought to search Etsy. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Man, I can never quite seem to return to DQB2 after any significant length of time without completely losing my place. No clue what I should be doing. I think I'm condemned to restart the game every time I want to play. Wonder why I've yet to get past the first village.

How many environs is the game anyway, I've been at that farm for so long I was becoming convinced there was nothing else

'course now that DQ11 is in the cards I'm not coming back to DQB2 soon, unless I give up again

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm in what I'm told is the little bits of Switch exclusive content between part 1 and part 2 essentially in XI and I can't believe Sylvando invented Mardi Gras.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm in what I'm told is the little bits of Switch exclusive content between part 1 and part 2 essentially in XI and I can't believe Sylvando invented Mardi Gras.

The spoiler part was in the original game. Your first party member you get in the second act getting a costume was not though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I want to confirm I am indeed a big idiot, and the challenges are right there under a "Press X for" message when you put in your name.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I want to confirm I am indeed a big idiot, and the challenges are right there under a "Press X for" message when you put in your name.

It really should've just been in the box on the left with everything else though.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

What's the best Charm boosting gear for Jade in post-game? I've got the post-game bikini outfit and two +3 Belle Bows already.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

-Fish- posted:

What's the best Charm boosting gear for Jade in post-game? I've got the post-game bikini outfit and two +3 Belle Bows already.

+3

Split-Pot Poker = 90 Charm
Xenlon Hair Ring = 125 Charm
Scandalous Swimsuit = 150 Charm
Marquess Mittens = 28 Charm each

I'd have to check in game if there are other items that give higher stats. Besides I believe the max Charm that's effective for Jade is 600, after that it's pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now that I have beaten Dragon Quest VII. I've begun Dragon Quest VIII and oh no non-refundable skill points. Choice paralysis is hitting me. Any advice goons?