Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lotion Tester posted:

My current phone is a Nexus 5X and I wish it didn't have a headphone jack. About once a month it gets so packed full of crud that it thinks headphones are connected when they aren't and I have to swab it out to get sound again.

I guess I could plug it with hot glue or something.

Oh, I thought you were actually being serious before.
Egg on my face I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Reported for filth and anatomical inaccuracy.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

thepopmonster posted:

Is the duck penis you're seeing not corkscrew shaped enough for your approval?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SubNat posted:

Oh, I thought you were actually being serious before.
Egg on my face I guess.

I'm being completely serious. My phone rides in my front left pocket so it gets all sorts of pocket fluff and junk in it, sometimes even getting the charger to make a good connection is a challenge.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

thepopmonster posted:

Ah, yes...thumbnail-sized it does have a certain look.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Lotion Tester posted:

My current phone is a Nexus 5X and I wish it didn't have a headphone jack. About once a month it gets so packed full of crud that it thinks headphones are connected when they aren't and I have to swab it out to get sound again.

I guess I could plug it with hot glue or something.

Whoah. A working 5X in the year 2019.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Lotion Tester posted:

I'm being completely serious. My phone rides in my front left pocket so it gets all sorts of pocket fluff and junk in it, sometimes even getting the charger to make a good connection is a challenge.

My old iPhone 4S always had a kind of a wonky 30-pin connector so it went in a bit uneven on one side. Or so I thought until years into the device's life I used like a toothpick or something to clear out any lint that might've gotten in there and surprise surprise, the connector finally fit in straight and flush. Never gave me any trouble though, even if the connector always seemed like one of the most wonky, unreliable designs outside of Sony Ericsson's absolutely dreadful connectors that had a 100% failure rate.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

azurite posted:

Whoah. A working 5X in the year 2019.
I loved my 5X until it died in the exact way that they all did, about two weeks after Google stopped giving full refunds for that exact known issue.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I loved my 5X until it died in the exact way that they all did, about two weeks after Google stopped giving full refunds for that exact known issue.

same

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You're all going to be so jealous when I post pics of my still working 5X in this thread in 2040.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i couldn't kill this motherfucker back in the day

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I bought the 5X at $200, probably got a year and a half or so out of it before Fi gave me $150 to trade it in. I didn't have any sort of failure yet, so I think I made out on that deal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

azurite posted:

I bought the 5X at $200, probably got a year and a half or so out of it before Fi gave me $150 to trade it in. I didn't have any sort of failure yet, so I think I made out on that deal.
Well, if it didn't start bootlooping on you, you're fine. Basically.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lotion Tester posted:

This is a problem I've had with literally every phone I've owned. Contactless charging has been a godsend.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Nexus 5X is actually the reason I now have a $20 ZTE smartphone. I had already been burned on a couple of moderately expensive phones breaking for seemingly no reason, but I was not sure it was NOT my fault. Then my Nexus 5X bootlooped itself to death, Google replaced it for some fee, and then the replacement started doing the same thing the predictable like one week after they would have replaced it for anything less than full price. I believe my explanation on the "why are you cancelling your service" form had the highest number of obscenities per capita of any service cancellation message in history, and that $20 is the most I have spent on a phone since. I would rather have a dumb phone at this point than buy another $400-to-$0 six-month finance reduction plan.

0k b00m3r

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kind of thrilled to learn about tiny little headphone jack butt plugs

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I guess it makes sense that there'd be people sounding an audio jack.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:cawg:

Vanagoon posted:

It annoys me that Apple has removed ftp.apple.com and not replaced the contents elsewhere.

You used to be able to download disk images for System 7.5.3 and now they're just "too bad gently caress you go away".

I hope someone has the Mac System installers backed up somewhere.

I had a Mac IIci with the cache card that was great fun to mess around with. It would suck to lose the ability to fix these old beasts just because Apple pulled the OS archives.

archive.org has this covered too: https://archive.org/details/download.info.apple.com.2012.11

Well, it's not "ftp.apple.com" but I think it's the same :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to have 2x DVDRs that had every single Windows installer from the original release all the way up to something like XP, plus all the DOS releases. Never needed them, but I made sure I always knew where those discs were just in case.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Dec 21, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I used to have 2x DVDRs that had every single Windows installer from the original release all the way up to something like XP, plus all the DOS releases. Never needed them, but I made sure I always knew where those discs were just in case.

You can still find them. :filez: They're handy if you like experimenting with old tech.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

The Nexus 5X is actually the reason I now have a $20 ZTE smartphone. I had already been burned on a couple of moderately expensive phones breaking for seemingly no reason, but I was not sure it was NOT my fault. Then my Nexus 5X bootlooped itself to death, Google replaced it for some fee, and then the replacement started doing the same thing the predictable like one week after they would have replaced it for anything less than full price. I believe my explanation on the "why are you cancelling your service" form had the highest number of obscenities per capita of any service cancellation message in history, and that $20 is the most I have spent on a phone since. I would rather have a dumb phone at this point than buy another $400-to-$0 six-month finance reduction plan.

0k b00m3r

I just had to replace my $40 smartphone with a $125 smartphone because after 3 years the touchscreen on the old phone started failing. I wanted at least a mild upgrade, and I figure the $125 price isn't that bad for a one-time purchase. I don't have really high demands in terms of how powerful my phone is, but is nice having it be faster and more responsive.

I should probably get a case for the new one, as that is as close to insurance I am willing to pay for. My only experience trying to use the "phone insurance" was with a previous carrier and would have required a fee high enough that it was much easier to just buy a new phone. It also soured me on Verizon. Since 2008 every time I have changed carrier I ended up with better service and a lower price.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Buttcoin purse posted:

:cawg:

archive.org has this covered too: https://archive.org/details/download.info.apple.com.2012.11

Well, it's not "ftp.apple.com" but I think it's the same :shrug:

I couldn't remember the exact name of the site but this is what I meant.

The page with the System 7.5.3 disk images is broken though :( This was officially the last version of the old mac system software that was offered for free.

https://ia800501.us.archive.org/vie....3%2Findex.html

Not much use without working disk image files.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Vanagoon posted:

The page with the System 7.5.3 disk images is broken though :( This was officially the last version of the old mac system software that was offered for free.

https://ia800501.us.archive.org/vie....3%2Findex.html

Not much use without working disk image files.

Looks like there's an issue with their archive viewer where the links in index.html files don't work at all, but if you just click on the links to disk images in that directory in the directory listing they seem to work. Or just download the entire 7.4GB mirror just in case :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rndmnmbr posted:

You can still find them. :filez: They're handy if you like experimenting with old tech.

I’m pretty sure Windows 3.11 for workgroups isn’t really :filez: in the sense that anyone cares about. Microsoft isn’t making money off your 486DX computer anymore.

It’s all here: https://winworldpc.com/home

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Can we just link to anything on archive.org without it being :filez:? I think that it should be ok to do that.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure Windows 3.11 for workgroups isn’t really :filez: in the sense that anyone cares about. Microsoft isn’t making money off your 486DX computer anymore.

You can still download floppy disk images from Microsoft via MSDN; I think since it could still be used as a low end embedded OS, since the specs to run it now are so low.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty good posted:

Can we just link to anything on archive.org without it being :filez:? I think that it should be ok to do that.

Yeah the version on archive is the XISO one I had, except likely updated since.

https://archive.org/details/all_windows_dvd

Surely YouTube rules apply when dealing with stuff posted on archive.org

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the version on archive is the XISO one I had, except likely updated since.

https://archive.org/details/all_windows_dvd

Surely YouTube rules apply when dealing with stuff posted on archive.org

Once you tell someone to go to archive.org, you then have to tell them to watch a white nationalist propaganda video?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This site also has the old Mac OSes, along with BeOS and a bunch of others. Need a copy of DOS for your Atari 800? They gotcha covered.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s a really good resource actually. I remember some of the classic macOS’s being hard to track down

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

You can still download floppy disk images from Microsoft via MSDN; I think since it could still be used as a low end embedded OS, since the specs to run it now are so low.

it's not even useful for embedded things. it has no drivers for anything remotely modern and a $45 arm board will leave a 486 in the dust while using a fraction of the power

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

The Fool posted:

There was a Sony Ericsson MP3 player phone that came out before the iPhone.

E: this guy predates the iPhone by 2 years

The iPhones wasn't the first phone to integrate iTunes either. Motorola and Apple released a phone together a couple of years before the iPhone that synced your iTunes playlists and purchases. The Moto Rokr E1, based on an existing Motorola phone, had a UI similar to ipods of the day, but held a whopping 100 songs due to firmware limitations imposed by Apple. Oh, and Apple released a little thing called the iPod Nano the same day. Hmm, I wonder which one consumers chose?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

The Fool posted:

There was a Sony Ericsson MP3 player phone that came out before the iPhone.

E: this guy predates the iPhone by 2 years
The W800 and its k750i counterpart were excellent in their day. If I remember correctly they were also the first with non-garbage cameras too?

The data port, headphone dongle bullshit sucked though

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

uli2000 posted:

The iPhones wasn't the first phone to integrate iTunes either. Motorola and Apple released a phone together a couple of years before the iPhone that synced your iTunes playlists and purchases. The Moto Rokr E1, based on an existing Motorola phone, had a UI similar to ipods of the day, but held a whopping 100 songs due to firmware limitations imposed by Apple. Oh, and Apple released a little thing called the iPod Nano the same day. Hmm, I wonder which one consumers chose?

I may not be remembering this correctly, but I think that this phone was the reason the iPhone was created. The iPad had already been in development, but Steve Jobs hated the Rokr’s interface so badly that he had the engineers working on the iPad switch directions and use that tech to make the original iPhone.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

uli2000 posted:

I remember being at the MacWorld when Jobs announced this phone, and considering everyone was clapping and whooping every time he spoke, the response to this phone was pretty muted.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

empty baggie posted:

I may not be remembering this correctly, but I think that this phone was the reason the iPhone was created. The iPad had already been in development, but Steve Jobs hated the Rokr’s interface so badly that he had the engineers working on the iPad switch directions and use that tech to make the original iPhone.

I think the Rockr thing was a contractual obligation from an agreement before the iPhone was being worked on. by the time the rockr was announced, apple was already investigating touchscreens and working their way towards a phone. They were researching touchscreen/tablet tech in the early 00s and decided to make a phone with it first instead of a tablet.

this decision probably killed any/all enthusiasm for integrating itunes syncing with other phones and devices. in the early days of itunes there were other non-apple mp3 players here-and-there that supported itunes officially and the rockr thing seems like an extension of that, but a little too late

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Last Chance posted:

I think the Rockr thing was a contractual obligation from an agreement before the iPhone was being worked on. by the time the rockr was announced, apple was already investigating touchscreens and working their way towards a phone. They were researching touchscreen/tablet tech in the early 00s and decided to make a phone with it first instead of a tablet.

this decision probably killed any/all enthusiasm for integrating itunes syncing with other phones and devices. in the early days of itunes there were other non-apple mp3 players here-and-there that supported itunes officially and the rockr thing seems like an extension of that, but a little too late

Yeah I remember that, there was a window of like a year when you could hook up your Diamond Rio or Creative Nomad to iTunes and it would have a nice custom icon and everything.

When the iPod came out one of the lines I remember in the keynote was "iTunes knows all about it, and it knows all about iTunes" and that was a huge deal

The ROKR was like 4 years later, I remember the general reaction was "wtf"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was it the Pre that had some hacked-together iTunes functionality that was constantly playing Cat and Mouse with Apple? That was a fun year or so.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FilthyImp posted:

Was it the Pre that had some hacked-together iTunes functionality that was constantly playing Cat and Mouse with Apple? That was a fun year or so.

Yeah. The Pre was kinda weird, and came out of the gate with a lot of neat ideas that it really just refused to follow up on.

But frankly, you gotta remember that "Phone what works with iTunes" was about 80% of the iPhones gimmick at the time, so that was a hard move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neito posted:

Yeah. The Pre was kinda weird, and came out of the gate with a lot of neat ideas that it really just refused to follow up on.
Iirc the company was dying and it shoved the Pre out the door knowing it would be out of business in like 6 months. And a rival team designed a followup for some reason that dropped pretty close.

It also innovated app-switching Cards, which is pretty much what we do now.