Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The hand and foot stuff was really there but I thought i never thought it was unfinished. Just added to the wrongness. Other than Taylor Swift I still don’t get the hornt accusations though but maybe that was the part of my brain that was receiving the damage as I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

This might be the funniest shot in the movie, tbh.

I remember seeing Mr Mistoffelees making some crazy reaction faces in this scene too, though that may just be my brain continuing to leak out my skull

Also, I can't think of a sadder existence than being one of those guys in the replies who're going "Dude, you're going to go to jail for pirating the movie"

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 23, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that gray cat has the strongest theater kid energy that I've ever seen in my life

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I saw Cats in a half-empty theater where they serve you food. There were some folks who seemed like genuine fans, some families with kids, and a few people who apparently came to boo and left after 15 minutes. It was everything that everyone's said. One of the absolutely weirdest, most uncomfortably and inappropriately sexual, most visually and tonally bizarre films I've ever seen. I think I love it. Everyone should see CATS. You won't be bored

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm seeing this right after Christmas and getting drunk as hell in the recliner seats.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"They spent so much time discussing whether jellicles can and jellicles would that they forgot to ask whether jellicles should."

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Saw this today with my friends, the four of us made up half the theater. We kept cracking up so much that I was seriously worried we'd wind up getting the boot.

There was something amazing to the low level nausea and anxiety the camera work gave us but nothing beats the absurdity of Ian McKellen lapping water out of a saucer and then giving a dialogue about how his best days are behind him

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This feels like what you'd get if you combined the ambition and singular vision of Zardoz with the discomfort, alien horniness and blatantly unfinished nature of Foodfight.

I think I love it.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Actual best part was the cat wearing tap dancing shoes. Were they real shoes or some kind of metaphor and who made them and and :shepicide:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda what you get when it's an adaptation of a book of poems.

Reminds me of Alligator Pie. I figure if anyone else in the world besides me has seen that, they'll be in this thread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is our Xanadu.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Pick posted:

Of all the films in my entire life, this is the one where they were somebody at the end standing with a little computer with a survey for me. I could not have been happier, of all the times for there to be a survey for me.

I had the opportunity to let them know I consider myself an influencer, and I do in fact post on social media.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

weekly font posted:

you know something is wrong but you can't define it

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Hat Thoughts posted:

if u enter Cats with an open heart u will understand why people enjoyed the original musical -- aka powerful forbidden wisdoms

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I spotted at least one shot with the tiny mice where the part of the scene they were in was out of focus, but the mice themselves were crisp and clear. This film was the Everest of compositing.

And I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that the cats in Converse were a cost-cutting measure on fixing those fur-feet.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oh lord it only just dawned on me tom hooper is the guy who did the most recent les mis film

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i just went to share this with someone on another forum and their whole site went down

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Went down on catnip recommended by Taylor Swift's dad

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/albertxii/status/1208973409704525829?s=21

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/estheronfilm/status/1209105879980740609?s=21

Thanks???

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 23, 2019

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Transcendentally gross maybe

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

fauna posted:

i just went to share this with someone on another forum and their whole site went down

why don't I remember this?
why am I sitting at my desk sobbing?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

As horrible as it is that Dame Judi Dench suffers from macular degeneration, at least she won't be able to properly see what the VFX team did to her in this movie. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I adapted my post in this thread into a video essay (also available as an article):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhaKc61LOpI

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

josh04 posted:

I adapted my post in this thread into a video essay (also available as an article):

That was really good!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

josh04 posted:

That’s yours? Superb I agree 100%. Movie of the decade. I can’t stop thinking about it.

e; actually there is a cat god: judy dench, who decides who gets into heaven

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2019

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

weekly font posted:

The hand and foot stuff was really there but I thought i never thought it was unfinished. Just added to the wrongness. Other than Taylor Swift I still don’t get the hornt accusations though but maybe that was the part of my brain that was receiving the damage as I watched.

To combine these thoughts, there is a moment where a cat sticks their human foot up in someone's face for a disturbing amount of time Tarantino style

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

AngusPodgorny posted:

As someone that likes the original Cats, I see no need for this movie. You could point a couple of cameras at a Broadway production and end up with a superior product for less than $100m. Tom Hooper or whoever wrote the additions is no T.S. Elliot, the celebrity cast doesn’t sing or dance as well as Broadway performers (except Francesca Hayward, but I doubt much of the budget went to the ballet dancer), and the CGI is less interesting than the costumes a theater department can put together.

How would you rate the music of this film vs broadway recording

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just bought tickets to the cat movie is there anything I need to know about cats lore going in

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghosthotel posted:

Just bought tickets to the cat movie is there anything I need to know about cats lore going in

Know as little as possible!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

theenglishman posted:

That was really good!

Thanks!

Delthalaz posted:

That’s yours? Superb I agree 100%. Movie of the decade. I can’t stop thinking about it.

e; actually there is a cat god: judy dench, who decides who gets into heaven

The bulk of the script is just my earlier post in this thread! Judy Dench's character is more of a prophet - she claims she can give characters a new life, but what do we see?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pick posted:

Know as little as possible!

In fact try to forget anything you know about real cats as well.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I think the worst parts of the movie are where they try to make the plot make sense or try to make it more entertaining to the audience. It's all very half-rear end (like inconsistency in what size they're supposed to be, why they're wearing clothes, what kind of relationships cats have to each other). Either lean into the weird fever dream energy that is CATS (correct choice), or spend more energy actually fleshing out the cat lore.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Now that you mention it, I'd have totally been down for a psychological horror film based around Cats
https://twitter.com/ianabramson/status/1151977667207372800

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/eliza__jane/status/1208815209239863296?s=21

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thank you, this is CATS to me

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why would someone do this

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/pricewalden/status/1209193052675493893?s=21

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

What the gently caress did I just watch? What the gently caress does jellicle mean? I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of English but these cats just kept saying poo poo and I couldn’t decipher any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Jellicle means those cats over and there