Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Every wall would have an AI controlled fleshlight embedded in it.

yeah, central vacuum, i've heard it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn’t this a level in one of the Hitman games

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn’t this a level in one of the Hitman games

"Look out here comes my piss" - Mr. 47 Hitman

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Every wall would have an AI controlled fleshlight embedded in it.

Put them in the floor too, a great incentive to do push-ups.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

perpenDICKular

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What an amazing place. Even though it's secluded I'd still feel self-conscious making GBS threads on that toilet with the whole wall open.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Love going into my fancy outdoor bathroom to take my morning poop* and having it turn into a showdown with the angry raccoon that fell in there 6 hrs ago and has already eaten my plant, dumped the wastebasket out, and torn down my fancy towel rack

*most important poop of the day, it sets the tone for the whole day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

my morning poop*
*most important poop of the day, it sets the tone for the whole day

That looks like a home, not a workplace, though :confused:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
pooping at work is getting paid to poop but pooping at home is paying to poop

make u think

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Then pooping while working from home is a net zero?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Boss makes a dollar while I make a dime, that's why I poop on company time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

8:00-8:30 morning poo
8:31 say "good morning" to co-workers

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
As if i would do my morning poop on a non-heated bidetless toilet at work, smdh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

A what?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Finally. Same.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At work I do second poopsies, elevensies, lunchout, afternoon pee, and sometimes sinner.

The more you poop, the more you get paid

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Bloop posted:

At work I do second poopsies, elevensies, lunchout, afternoon pee, and sometimes sinner.

The more you poop, the more you get paid

woah

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best work day is when you start your nap after lunch, wake up at 16:00, and go do a poo before heading home, and the boss looks at your hours and goes "now there's a dedicated guy!"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

that's an excellent day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowy posted:

It’s a the perfect exercise tool to complement the Jacked Squared.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
If you're into cross-stitching, McMansion Hell has McMansion cross-stitch patterns up on the front page.
https://mcmansionhell.com/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I love the windows that don't match

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Who wants to read about a library designed with metal grating floors (and why that’s a big “whoops”)?

I’m phone posting or I’d pull some images (there’s not really that many to see, tho) so if y’all want to do it, knock yourselves out.

https://www.metropolismag.com/architecture/educational-architecture/cornell-fine-arts-library/

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/12/12/wolfgang-tschapeller-bookshelves-cornell-university-library/%A0

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cross posting this from the ask/tell librarians thread:

quote:

Ultimately, the team chose specially-manufactured steel grates from Poland’s Progress Architektura with gaps big enough to allow air to circulate in the main enclosure (more solid flooring with similar attributes proved too pricey). The super see-through material, Tschapeller said, challenges the idea of the floor as most stable elements in architecture. When I told him that I could see clear up into the stacks at other students, he urged visitors to respect each other—no creeping permitted.
Multiple women I spoke with for this article have noticed the space’s upskirt potential and are adjusting their library use accordingly. “Knowing that I have to think about what I’m wearing as I enter the library is off-putting to me. What was Cornell thinking?” said Nicole Nomura, a second-year graduate student in landscape architecture and city planning. Nomura was wearing a dress the first day she visited, and did not feel comfortable stepping up into the stacks.

Tschapeller confirmed there’s no way to add opacity to the grates—it would interfere mightily with the ventilation. “Coverings on top of the grating would literally destroy the project,” he elaborated in an email.
[Bolding mine] IT WOULD DESTROY IT. 25 MILLION DOLLERS. DESTROYED. LIBRARY. BUILDING: GONE because they put some opaque lining on the floor.

This is not friendly to anyone wearing dresses, much less niqabs and other such clothing. You can see the slats in the top right of this image:

And if you zoom in on this image:

You can absolutely see up skirts. Not much may be visible, but that's not the point at all of peeping toms and other creeps. Plus, creeps could just say 'oh I was looking at books on the top shelf, that's all, I didn't mean to follow the person above me constantly around, staring! tee hee!]

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nonono, wait, you see, actually...

Wolfgang Tschapeller posted:

As a human, you are not the main character, you are a guest between the books.

"It's not that I didn't think of female users at all when designing this, it's because the books demanded it. I am totally not owned."

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
The departmental library at my university had a small second floor stack area with a glass floor.

That place terrified me.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
So it's a giant echo room, with a lack of tables, and if you drop anything it's likely to hit someone two stories below? How did this building get approved?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I zoomed in on the image and couldn’t see up any skirts

more fake news from the lieberal media

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That is the most sterile, unwelcoming library I've ever seen.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

The Minions Go to Jail

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The library is functioning as intended. Everyone knows you go there to look up things.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I reshelved books in a public library for 5 years and drat that is hostile to book carts, wheelchairs, massive fatties and/or anxiety.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yeah that looks like more of a book warehouse than a college library.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Finally a way to keep those drat acrophobics out of the library.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

peanut posted:

I reshelved books in a public library for 5 years and drat that is hostile to book carts, wheelchairs, massive fatties and/or anxiety.

Yeah, it reminds me of the file warehouse at my job, where there's a second floor with that metal mesh flooring. A fair number of employees are too anxious and/or acrophobic to work up there, and the metal carts used for carrying documents for refiling are heavy enough to rattle the floor and make a godawful noise. It barely works even as a purely functional space; I can't imagine why you'd make the same design decision for a space you want to be attractive to visitors.

(In before "this is deliberate hostile architecture to keep filthy students away from our pristine stacks")

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sorry, I have no source for this other than a tumblr anime blog, but I really like it. Other than those hideously mismatched tiles, I really love the tilework. I'm not a huge fan of the basic subway tile on the lower half of the walls, but it does give a neutral place to rest the eyes on. I wish I had a pic of the stained glass window wall. I assume this is british due to the weird rear end toilet tanks up on the wall.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

MetaJew posted:

The library is functioning as intended. Everyone knows you go there to look up things.

:vince:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

that tub looks like it's about to scoot off into the sunset, in the best way possible.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gnossiennes posted:

that tub looks like it's about to scoot off into the sunset, in the best way possible.

Hoist the main sail and sail away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR