Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Rhyno posted:

On a more positive note, because I found myself a big boy job with actual benefits I am enjoying the first day of my 13 day vacation. 10 days of which I am being paid for.
Hour long lunches. That's the small but huge change that distinguishes poo poo jobs from real jobs. Seems so minor but it opens up so many extra options for lunch. Huge QoL change.

And congrats. Feels good to be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

Hour long lunches. That's the small but huge change that distinguishes poo poo jobs from real jobs. Seems so minor but it opens up so many extra options for lunch. Huge QoL change.

And congrats. Feels good to be appreciated.

Well, two 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. But they don't care if we lump that into one chunk.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Probably low enough for you to buy it just around the same time you buy your OLED.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So the last few years I've been listening to people hype up Trader Joe's and how awesome it is, blah blah, but I've never been to one because it's way out of my way. My boss (one of said hypers) gave me a Trader Joe's holiday product newsletter to page through and I saw a bunch of stuff that I wanted to pick up for Christmas Eve dinner/Christmas Day snacks. Found a recipe for what I wanted to do, grabbed the newsletter, and went 20 minutes out of my way. Started filling my cart with miscellaneous stuff that I needed, got to Specific Item A, out of it. Grabbed some more stuff, Specific Item B and C, nope. Mmm, okay well, they don't even have most of the basic poo poo I want because it turns out Trader Joe's is just three aisles of expensive frozen meals and not much else? I REALLY wanted to pick up a couple bottles of this Triple Ginger Brew they had advertised and I couldn't find it, so I asked yet another person for something and she walked me over to the spot and they were all out. "Okay, thanks anyway." Walked back down all of the aisles and threw all the poo poo in my cart back where I got it from and walked out. Never wasting my time in that dumb fuckin' place again.

And their carts have a super narrow front wheel base, so if you turn too quickly it tips.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Me, reading this post from atop my sick Ford:

One of my friends just inherited a .45 Thompson from an estranged uncle that died. That's pretty fuckin' cool if you ask me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

T-Square posted:

So the last few years I've been listening to people hype up Trader Joe's and how awesome it is, blah blah, but I've never been to one because it's way out of my way. My boss (one of said hypers) gave me a Trader Joe's holiday product newsletter to page through and I saw a bunch of stuff that I wanted to pick up for Christmas Eve dinner/Christmas Day snacks. Found a recipe for what I wanted to do, grabbed the newsletter, and went 20 minutes out of my way. Started filling my cart with miscellaneous stuff that I needed, got to Specific Item A, out of it. Grabbed some more stuff, Specific Item B and C, nope. Mmm, okay well, they don't even have most of the basic poo poo I want because it turns out Trader Joe's is just three aisles of expensive frozen meals and not much else? I REALLY wanted to pick up a couple bottles of this Triple Ginger Brew they had advertised and I couldn't find it, so I asked yet another person for something and she walked me over to the spot and they were all out. "Okay, thanks anyway." Walked back down all of the aisles and threw all the poo poo in my cart back where I got it from and walked out. Never wasting my time in that dumb fuckin' place again.

And their carts have a super narrow front wheel base, so if you turn too quickly it tips.
Like, today? You went christmas eve and they were out of things you wanted for christmas eve dinner?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trader Joes is the same company as Aldi right? I've pretty much stopped shopping there because the narrow hours of operation and distance from home doesn't make it worth the trip. I only go if I happen to be nearby when they're open. The one thing that makes stopping worthwhile is their cheap wine.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

the hype train is real choo choooo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

Lol try not going there right before christmas, they always run out of poo poo during the holidays. The triple ginger brew is really good, I have a bottle in my fridge right now.

Trader Joe's isn't like a normal grocery store that's what some people don't get. People like it because they have their own poo poo that you can't get anywhere else. Like we go there just to get Trader Joe's specific poo poo we can't get at Publix, everything else we go to Publix for.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Merry Christmas, jerks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Well my name's John Lee Pettimooooooore...
Nice.

Yeah, going to Trader Joe’s the day before a holiday and being shocked they’re out of holiday specific stuff is pretty off base - they don’t really work that way. It’s not Walmart.

They have lots of good products and usually don’t have huge issues with keeping things in stock, but there are a couple things (and certainly holiday items) which are hugely popular and aren’t always in stock.

Merry Xmas, early, I guess?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://jalopnik.com/this-chop-top-hot-rod-saturn-was-built-with-1-500-and-1832958785/amp

STR you should have kept the Saturd.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Aston Martin Lagondorrhea.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
RockAuto discount codes, have at it:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol try not going there right before christmas, they always run out of poo poo during the holidays. The triple ginger brew is really good, I have a bottle in my fridge right now.

Trader Joe's isn't like a normal grocery store that's what some people don't get. People like it because they have their own poo poo that you can't get anywhere else. Like we go there just to get Trader Joe's specific poo poo we can't get at Publix, everything else we go to Publix for.

I dunno man, I went to my regular rear end grocery store afterwards and got all the poo poo I needed. Which I guess I'll continue to do, because they have a way better selection of everything and I can expect to *gasp* go to a grocery store on a Monday night before the holidays and get what I need.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Just did a turn and burn to BFE Kansas in a thankfully-successful attempt to be part of a group of concerned people help my wife’s biological brother’s kids finally get away from him (he’s under investigation for abuse) and his tyrannical evil wife (who is not the kids’ mom, and who shithead brother claimed was abusing him and the kids a few years ago and so thusly Tldr I went and got from Kansas at the time, had the 4 of them move in with us, got the kids enrolled in social services and school, got the brother a job.... and then he couldn’t hack it and made up a story about appearing for a court date in Kansas with the kids, took my car under those false pretenses, dumped the kids off with my wife’s sister, and then went and married the abusive girlfriend. gently caress those two people in every way.)

Woke up restless on Sunday at 5am, so got underway in the Raptor. Court is 1pm Monday.

It was making surprisingly good mpg considering, I think I had a tailwind out of CO.

Met up with the good local sister-in-law and her family, turned out they have a 15 week old Great Dane puppy who is all legs and ears and immediately became my best friend:

Found a hotel for the night, and Monday AM came with a lot of freezing fog:

In keeping with most of the Midwest: depressingly bleak.

In playing RL D&D and making a bunch of charisma and investigation checks (I got asked if I was a lawyer half a dozen times...) I went to another town to talk to the juvenile division attorney and ran into serious fog.

Saw this funky thing on the way back:

Court started at 1; one of the 3 kids came to court as ordered because his foster parent brought him, I hadn’t seen him in over 3 years because of this nonsense. Poor kids just need a chance. The bad dad and stepmom as well as the other two kids never showed because it appeared they had decided as a delaying tactic to prevent bio mom from getting the kids, they had conspired with their lovely lawyer to get a continuance. That didn’t stop the court from ordering the kids to go on a 2-week visit (and likely, eventually, permanent custody) effective immediately, so then a swarm of surprisingly good social workers sprung into action to track down the other two kids.

Turned out the abusive stepmom’s parents - who for some reason had initially been the people two of the three kids were placed with - had taken the youngest across state lines a couple hours away for a doctors appointment. How convenient. Sister-in-Law and I met the social workers at the now-irrationally mad step-grandparents’(?) house to scoop up the oldest - with local law enforcement on speed dial, all of us expecting any manner of lawn tantrum/domestic bullshit to erupt - but the oldest kid was the only one home and we got her without incident. Took her to a Walgreens to get a bunch of supplies and necessities... Bio mom lives in Iowa, they all need to drive back together, but the day was getting late, and so the case workers set up everyone in a pair of hotel rooms for the night and eventually even though under duress, the step-grandparents brought the youngest to their offices and finally everyone was united.

Was the first time bio mom has seen these kids in years. As local family that had been forbidden to see each other due to the crazy dad and stepmom came to briefly visit, at one point there were 9 kids laughing and jumping around in these hotel rooms - was really great to see and be part of.

It was getting late and I didn’t want to stay in BFE nor potentially get delayed by weather, so I started the 9 hr. drive back at ~8:30 last night...

Breakfast burrito from a 24 hour Mexican joint being eaten at the gas pump at midnight. I make great choices. That was my only stop.

Got an hour back due to time zones and pulled into the rental house driveway at 4:30am. I’m beat, but home to my own (spoiled, mostly oblivious) kids and wife and thankful for it.

Merry Christmas dudes. Give your loved ones hugs.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 24, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You continue to be an amazing person Tremek. Happy holidays to you and yours.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tremek posted:

Just did a turn and burn to BFE Kansas in a thankfully-successful attempt to be part of a group of concerned people help my wife’s biological brother’s kids finally get away from him (he’s under investigation for abuse) and his tyrannical evil wife (who is not the kids’ mom, and who shithead brother claimed was abusing him and the kids a few years ago and so thusly Tldr I went and got from Kansas at the time, had the 4 of them move in with us, got the kids enrolled in social services and school, got the brother a job.... and then he couldn’t hack it and made up a story about appearing for a court date in Kansas with the kids, took my car under those false pretenses, dumped the kids off with my wife’s sister, and then went and married the abusive girlfriend. gently caress those two people in every way.)

Woke up restless on Sunday at 5am, so got underway in the Raptor. Court is 1pm Monday.

It was making surprisingly good mpg considering, I think I had a tailwind out of CO.

Met up with the good local sister-in-law and her family, turned out they have a 15 week old Great Dane puppy who is all legs and ears and immediately became my best friend:

Found a hotel for the night, and Monday AM came with a lot of freezing fog:

In keeping with most of the Midwest: depressingly bleak.

In playing RL D&D and making a bunch of charisma and investigation checks (I got asked if I was a lawyer half a dozen times...) I went to another town to talk to the juvenile division attorney and ran into serious fog.

Saw this funky thing on the way back:

Court started at 1; one of the 3 kids came to court as ordered because his foster parent brought him, I hadn’t seen him in over 3 years because of this nonsense. Poor kids just need a chance. The bad dad and stepmom as well as the other two kids never showed because it appeared they had decided as a delaying tactic to prevent bio mom from getting the kids, they had conspired with their lovely lawyer to get a continuance. That didn’t stop the court from ordering the kids to go on a 2-week visit (and likely, eventually, permanent custody) effective immediately, so then a swarm of surprisingly good social workers sprung into action to track down the other two kids.

Turned out the abusive stepmom’s parents - who for some reason had initially been the people two of the three kids were placed with - had taken the youngest across state lines a couple hours away for a doctors appointment. How convenient. Sister-in-Law and I met the social workers at the now-irrationally mad step-grandparents’(?) house to scoop up the oldest - with local law enforcement on speed dial, all of us expecting any manner of lawn tantrum/domestic bullshit to erupt - but the oldest kid was the only one home and we got her without incident. Took her to a Walgreens to get a bunch of supplies and necessities... Bio mom lives in Iowa, they all need to drive back together, but the day was getting late, and so the case workers set up everyone in a pair of hotel rooms for the night and eventually even though under duress, the step-grandparents brought the youngest to their offices and finally everyone was united.

Was the first time bio mom has seen these kids in years. As local family that had been forbidden to see each other due to the crazy dad and stepmom came to briefly visit, at one point there were 9 kids laughing and jumping around in these hotel rooms - was really great to see and be part of.

It was getting late and I didn’t want to stay in BFE nor potentially get delayed by weather, so I started the 9 hr. drive back at ~8:30 last night...

Breakfast burrito from a 24 hour Mexican joint being eaten at the gas pump at midnight. I make great choices. That was my only stop.

Got an hour back due to time zones and pulled into the rental house driveway at 4:30am. I’m beat, but home to my own (spoiled, mostly oblivious) kids and wife and thankful for it.

Merry Christmas dudes. Give your loved ones hugs.

Good for you. This is all pretty impressive.

I do have some questions though about this part...
“ Breakfast burrito from a 24 hour Mexican joint being eaten at the gas pump at midnight. I make great choices. That was my only stop. ”

Questions like: how? And: do you have to train a lot to get this power?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

You continue to be an amazing person Tremek. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Holy poo poo, that's an understatement.

Merry xmas to each and every goon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KillHour posted:

But you still can't carry them around on your person in public for the same reason I can't walk around with fireworks stuffed in my pants.
Pretty sure you can fill your pants up with fireworks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

I dunno man, I went to my regular rear end grocery store afterwards and got all the poo poo I needed. Which I guess I'll continue to do, because they have a way better selection of everything and I can expect to *gasp* go to a grocery store on a Monday night before the holidays and get what I need.

What I was trying to say is you don't go to Trader Joe's for poo poo you need, you go there for the poo poo you want.

Like I said, I go to the grocery store for all the staples (milk, eggs, bread,etc). I don't go to trader Joe's for that poo poo, I go there for stuff like triple brew ginger beer and olive oil popcorn.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

That is a great story.

Also I'm the empty gas tank.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

Like, today? You went christmas eve and they were out of things you wanted for christmas eve dinner?

Grocery store employee checking in. When we closed last night, we had 4 lanes open with significant lines (usually it's only 1 lane open by then - we have 16 + 8 self check + 2 app checkout stations, all were open during the day). I don't think we got the last customer out of the store until almost 30 minutes after close. Usually it's within 5 minutes; we make plenty of announcements, both automated and "HEY WE'RE CLOSED, GTFO" coupled with half the lighting shutting off when the final automated closing announcement starts, and start shadowing people constantly asking if they need help if it's obvious they're not in a hurry to leave after we close.. if that doesn't work, a manager will tell them hey, we're closed, get your rear end to the register NOW, we want to go home!

The shelves were.... DECIMATED. And we had a really small truck (the smallest I've seen), with not a ton of backstock left. We have a MASSIVE truck tonight (well, 3 trucks... 2 packed completely full, plus one with stuff for 3 stores.. so 2.3ish 53 foot trailers just for grocery... I think 55ish pallets?), when we're not even open tomorrow. Then I'm one of three people going in the night of Christmas - one other stocker is going in, and an overnight manager will be there. No trucks coming in, we're just going to work through the insane amounts of backstock we've accumulated over the holidays. I think we're gonna spend half of the night in receiving just cleaning out the holiday trailer (it was full of stuff that moves fast during the holidays, it's almost empty now), working through probably 15 or so pallets of backstock that have accumulated back there, then working "risers" (the very top shelf on every aisle that we use for overstock). Basically just housekeeping. Sadly, only 1 hour will be on holiday pay since we go in at 11pm, but tonight, once the clock hits midnight, we're getting 1.5x.

I'm not looking forward to tonight, that truck is gonna be a bitch (and management fully expects several sudden flus/colds/my kid is sick/I can't come in/etc calls), but the 1.5x pay will make up for it.

Rhyno posted:

Trader Joes is the same company as Aldi right? I've pretty much stopped shopping there because the narrow hours of operation and distance from home doesn't make it worth the trip. I only go if I happen to be nearby when they're open. The one thing that makes stopping worthwhile is their cheap wine.

No. They're both in the same family, and were originally the same company (Trader Joe's is part of Aldi Nord, the US Aldi is part of Aldi Süd) by two different brothers. Outside of the US, they exist only as Aldi, but depending on the country, it may be owned by the Nord or Süd company.

Aldi is generally quite a bit cheaper for stuff not specific to Trader Joe's, partly because they have far less overhead (specifically, payroll - Aldi only keeps a few people on staff at any one time, and most stores have under 20 employees total - Trader Joe's has Whole Foods-prior to Amazon-levels of staffing)

I miss shopping at Aldi though. A lot of their stuff is so cheap, and much of their store brand stuff is pretty high quality. There's only one Aldi local to me... local meaning it's the same metro area, but not the same city or county (it's about 45 minutes away unless I drop $5 each way on tolls, then it's 30 minutes each way). They had a ton of stores in the Dallas metro area, but DFW also has probably a dozen different grocery store chains fighting it out. We have a handful here (HEB dominates pretty much everywhere south of I-20 in Texas, except for El Paso - the other major players outside of the natural market are Walmart and Albertsons/Randall's). HEB's store brand stuff is (usually) drat good too.

Nah. The SL2 is a better car. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 24, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

Someone who wants to point out the cause, not the effect?

Danger to manifold is the cause, floor pan failure is the effect.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

poo poo all this time I thought granny shifting was the cause

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

T-Square posted:

One of my friends just inherited a .45 Thompson from an estranged uncle that died. That's pretty fuckin' cool if you ask me.
They're heavy as hell too, would be brutal with a full drum mag.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

STR posted:

We have a handful here (HEB dominates pretty much everywhere south of I-20 in Texas, except for El Paso - the other major players outside of the natural market are Walmart and Albertsons/Randall's). HEB's store brand stuff is (usually) drat good too.

There wasn't poo poo for HEBs in arlington south ft worth/everman/forest hill/kennedale the whole time. There were a couple out east in the longview area that I'd go to when at my grandmother's house. I always wemt to Albertsons since they had the best salsa, alberts mexican hot sauce. :smugdog:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

God I hate dealerships. Been talking to this guy for weeks about coming to pick up a car on friday, agreed on an OTD price, but he couldn't take a 1k deposit to hold the car for *reasons*. The guy finally agrees to take a deposit today and then says, oh sorry the car just sold.....What the gently caress. I'm assuming someone came along willing to pay full price and finance through them and it's exactly what they were hoping for, holding out until the last minute before giving the car to me at the agreed price.

If I would have driven 5 hours and they pulled that poo poo I would have gone off the loving deep end.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Celebrated Christmas early with my parents, the wife, and the girlfriend.

I didn't make a list this year because I didn't want them to spend anything but time with us all, but they went above and beyond anyway. Both of my partners got almost the entirety of their Christmas lists, including a really nice folding desk for studying and a laptop bag nicer than my car.

I got a Milwaukee fuel half inch impact wrench, two of the big batteries, a charger, and a wireless worklight that is brighter than the sun.

I shudder to think what they actually spent on stuff for us all, but I'm so ready to shred the gently caress out of any rusty anything that gets in my way going forward.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am really worried about Christmas tomorrow. Both of my wife's parents have passed away. Her step mother is a goddamned saint, welcomed me with open arms when no one else in the family did. Well she has since remarried and her new husband is incredible, treats me with a respect I am not used to from that side of the family. He's also LOADED and I'm terrified that he spent way too much money on me. He knows I'm in the Ryobi 18V system and was poking his nose around my workbench last time he was over.

I just bought him a silly gift!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yes I am so worried for you

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's so much pressure! He's too generous!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Y'ALL

Y'ALL

:ducksiren::frogsiren::siren: PROJECT BINKY HAS BEEN SENT OFF FOR PAINT :siren::frogsiren::ducksiren:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

They're so close to it actually being drivable.
It's absolutely incredible

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I saw a Saturn with Historical plates. I think it was a SC1. It was weird.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

mariooncrack posted:

It makes me feel some closure, like now it's official Saturn is not just dead but fully decomposed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ExplodingSims posted:

They're so close to it actually being drivable.
It's absolutely incredible

Yeah, it might only be 18-24 months away!

Tremek you're an inspiringly good person.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Merry (so far) unburnt Christmas you magnificent pack of assholes!

The wife so far has experienced 46C and had a front row seat to fires and about to go to the inlaws to eat proper Aussie Christmas BBQ lunch. The full Australian Christmas experience to say the least

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Merry (so far) unburnt Christmas you magnificent pack of assholes!

The wife so far has experienced 46C and had a front row seat to fires and about to go to the inlaws to eat proper Aussie Christmas BBQ lunch. The full Australian Christmas experience to say the least

Are the local bogans doing burnouts as well?

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to you all\

Hosting Christmas lunch for the first time in my life. Hopefully all will go fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BpBjdTk6AE

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

Y'ALL

Y'ALL

:ducksiren::frogsiren::siren: PROJECT BINKY HAS BEEN SENT OFF FOR PAINT :siren::frogsiren::ducksiren:

The Binky guys have so much attention to detail. Imagine how intense the painters they choose must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Binky guys have so much attention to detail. Imagine how intense the painters they choose must be.

Bodywork seems to be the one point where they realize it is possible to go way off the deep end and are actually being... restrained. It still looks really good.

mariooncrack posted:

I've seen them on fourthgen F-bodies. The first C5s are eligible for them in two years.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Tremek you're an inspiringly good person.
Couldn't say it better if I had to.