Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RedSnapper posted:

re: The Wish
I used to argue it on Polish Witcher forums back in the dial-up modem era and I'm not changing that custom now. The Wish was for the djinn to grant them a child. It suits the requirement of binding their fates together and is granted via Ciri. We don't have an exact chronology of the stories but if 'A question of price' happens aftger 'The Last Wish' it also explains why Geralt had the bright idea to invoke the Law of Surprise with Duny

No idea what episode it was but at one point towards the last few episodes the camera made a really obvious "pan down to Yen's belly foreshadowingly" moment so yea that is my guess too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Seconding the Witcher 2 recommendation. You can mod the combat if you don't like it.

There was a rebalance mod you could download on http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/ (doesn't work now)
I think this is it: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/822
iirc, CDPR hired the guy who made it.

zoux posted:

What is the total playtime of Witcher 3 if you do everything? Skipping like “collect every fuckberry” stuff

If it's your first time playing it's likely to take 150+ hours.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=40171

zoux posted:

Also should I play it with the mod that makes Geralt look like Cavill

The what now?

:stare:

itry fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 27, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

zoux posted:

I won't need a detailed walkthrough to get the “good ending” or get all the good stuff in W3 will I

No the Witcher 3 has a much more traditional structure than Witcher 2. In the Witcher 2 there is no good ending no matter which story branch you choose, since Geralt is swept up into larger political events and doesn't have the power to alter the outcome.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

zoux posted:

I won't need a detailed walkthrough to get the “good ending” or get all the good stuff in W3 will I

Be a good dad to get the good ending

Snowball fights are cool and good btw

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Reminding me I need to do W2 again to see Iorveth’s side of things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Episode 3 question: what was the deal with the scene with Rapist Dude chanting Elder and Geralt freaks out, then drinks some poo poo that makes his eyes turn black? What did he say? What was the potion? If it’s a game thing, I’ve long since forgotten.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

Episode 3 question: what was the deal with the scene with Rapist Dude chanting Elder and Geralt freaks out, then drinks some poo poo that makes his eyes turn black? What did he say? What was the potion? If it’s a game thing, I’ve long since forgotten.

I don't know if it's a specific potion but from what I remember in the games drinking the potions builds up toxicity and I think that's what we're seeing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I just interpreted that as the guy chanting because he is scared and Geralt drinks his potion because the Striga is coming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pollyanna posted:

Geralt can understand and speak elder tongue for the most part so he understood what Ostrit was saying even if Ostrit doesn't know what it means. Essentially the elder tongue incantation meant that the Striga had to be kept out of its crypt until the third cawing of a rooster to break the curse. The potion is to enhance his reflexes and improve his night vision.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The potion for that contract was Cat

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arglebargle III posted:

I just interpreted that as the guy chanting because he is scared and Geralt drinks his potion because the Striga is coming.

The chanting is what Ostrit said when he uttered the curse. Since Geralt understood what he’s saying, he flipped out because he realizes he has to get ready to keep the Striga out of its tomb until morning (third cock’s crow).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah that was it. He was chanting the curse and Geralt was mad at him about the dumb curse.

Lifting curses is my favorite kind of Witcher side quest. It's like a little puzzle and you often have to parley with duplicitous spirits.

I also like the quests where you have to convince benign monsters to go away.

Oh also the quest where you get drunk and play never-have-I-ever was good. But that's a main quest. Eskel hosed a succubus

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 27, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Getting drunk with your witcher pals and drunk dialing sorceresses is one of the best damned quests in any game ever.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It's in total contrast to the short story version, where Geralt already knows the method to break a striga's curse and is methodically preparing to face her when Ostrit appears to try and bribe him to leave without fulfilling the contract, and then the real story comes out. The show requires him to do a little more detective work before he knows what to do.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Should I play The Witcher 2 first? I own them both on Steam apparently, I was just getting W3 downloaded tonight. Does the story continue from 2 into 3 or are they totally separate stories?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Witcher 2 sets up the political conflicts of Witcher 3, but since the political situation is never exactly front and center it's not super important. It is a good game in its own right but it is not as good as Witcher 3 and it is ~40 hours long. Witcher 3 takes place about six months after Witcher 2.

If you really care about how the political status quo went completely to poo poo between the Battle of Sodden Hill in the books and the beginning of Witcher 3 it's probably worth playing Witcher 2.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Solice Kirsk posted:

Getting drunk with your witcher pals and drunk dialing sorceresses is one of the best damned quests in any game ever.

Summon the bitches!

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 27, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I played 2 and 3 on release and Witcher 1 after the enhanced edition came out and I really couldn't imagine not getting the 3 stories in order. I also couldn't imagine playing Witcher 1 in 2019. Maybe theres a good plot summary? Just remember to insert "aimless wander in a swamp for 5 hours" between every interesting plot point you read.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

2 has maximum VERNON ROCHE so it's mandatory imo. He also can deliver a good ol "gently caress!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXf2V2xNXCw

Also Letho is cool and good and my friend.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I finally finished watching today and I think their biggest mistake was not adapting "The Sword of Destiny" short story. Geralt and Ciri meet and bond with each other in the Brokilon forest, it strengthens their motivation for finding each other beyond other characters telling them that they must do so, and it adds more emotional weight to their meeting at the merchant's home in the end where Geralt can finally no longer deny their destiny after they once again end up in the same place by chance. With Ciri's story having so much wheel spinning this season it seemed odd to not use the one short story that she prominently features in, and even more so to still send her to the location but then have nothing really happen there. They even had to sneak in a prophetic dream at the last minute so she'd know what Geralt looks like before the run up and hug scene.

Fringilla Vigo and Cahir being zealots doesn't really sit right either but I guess we just have to wait and see where they take it. Plus Vilgefortz is kind of a geek for what is one of the main antagonists. On the other hand, I thought Triss was fine? People on the internet seem to really hate her but the character didn't have much to do and the actress wasn't horrible to me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I liked Triss well enough. But it's hard to really judge her 'til they get to actual book content, rather than having her appear for the Striga contract where she hadn't in the saga.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Torquemada posted:

Reminding me I need to do W2 again to see Iorveth’s side of things.

You need to remedy that asap. That's the best side.

Phenotype posted:

Should I play The Witcher 2 first? I own them both on Steam apparently, I was just getting W3 downloaded tonight. Does the story continue from 2 into 3 or are they totally separate stories?

I'd say you should definitely play the second game before the third one. It's really good and it does lay out some groundwork for W3 - political situation, character relationships, the Wild Hunt, etc.

Linking this clip again about the first/second Witcher games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsqAmuxjNk
Goes into characterization and themes. Mild general spoilers for W2.

Play the first if you just want more of the settings. The game itself isn't very good mechanically, and it has a self-contained story.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 27, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit, this show makes me want to actually finish Witcher 3, but I was rubbish at the combat and I couldn't wrap my head around the equipment advancement/enhancement system. Are there tutorials anywhere?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, this show makes me want to actually finish Witcher 3, but I was rubbish at the combat and I couldn't wrap my head around the equipment advancement/enhancement system. Are there tutorials anywhere?

From the W3 game thread:

Orv posted:

6/10/17: Pellisworth's excellent spoiler-free newbie guide in second post. Read It.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:tipshat: once i get home ill boot up the ps4

Also, Ep 4+ spoiler so this is being told in non-chronological order, right? I immediately noticed when the child version of the Dickhead King from the painting showed up during one of Yennefer's parts. Since Ciri still hasn't met Geralt, I assume this is a prequel to every other piece of Witcher media out there?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pollyanna posted:

:tipshat: once i get home ill boot up the ps4

Also, Ep 4+ spoiler so this is being told in non-chronological order, right? I immediately noticed when the child version of the Dickhead King from the painting showed up during one of Yennefer's parts. Since Ciri still hasn't met Geralt, I assume this is a prequel to every other piece of Witcher media out there?

"The stories take place years apart" isn't really a spoiler so much as something that should be in the OP to help reduce confusion.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Along with an image of the timeline probably. It's not supposed to be a twist.

Anyway, the show is based on the books, specifically the two short story collections from the 90's. They all take place before the games.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

The main thing to improve your combat skills is

1: always be dodging

2: hold down A to run

3: don't block. that button doesn't exist. stop it.

4: see 1

5: stop trying to block. see 1 again

For real though Geralt is tied with wraiths and werewolves for the fastest combatant in the game, so there's no reason to ever not have control of a fight. If it's inconvenient to be where you are just don't be there. Every group fight can become a series of one on one fights just by watching your footwork. Geralt is a duelist not an armored knight. Bombs, potions and spells are all mostly there as tools to deal with specific monster types and do crowd control for the many many times you have to fight groups. Once you get the hang of the combat system groups of human enemies don't pose much threat, and you can usually flee if you're seriously outnumbered by monsters.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 27, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't really give a gently caress about Triss, but since the reason this show got made is the extremely popular videogames which have Triss as a prominent character, and "Triss or Yen?" is one of those divisive choices for the ages like "Coke or Pepsi?" or "Edward or Jacob?", i think it's odd that they didn't make her look like in the games. I don't get why they added her to the Striga story if they weren't making decisions based off the cultural impact of the games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This dude's like fuckin photoshopped in or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

itry posted:

Along with an image of the timeline probably. It's not supposed to be a twist.

I dunno. I think it's definitely a "reveal" that the show is doing. I don't quite understand the point, but it's definitely an intentional withholding on the show's part, so revealing it is a spoiler.

I guess it's something to do with the way the show is framing questions of destiny and fate, but I'd have to think on it a bit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

This dude's like fuckin photoshopped in or something.

this was the low point of the season for me. i really didn't appreciate that there wasn't more exposition about the assassin, where he came from, how he was of equal or greater power to yen, who is supposedly one of the most powerful of the mages.

instead we got some lame monologue scene on the beach.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

this was the low point of the season for me. i really didn't appreciate that there wasn't more exposition about the assassin, where he came from, how he was of equal or greater power to yen, who is supposedly one of the most powerful of the mages.

instead we got some lame monologue scene on the beach.

I'm feel like they adaptated the little arachnid mandible dudes from Season of Storms where the mages are creating these monsters in their weird castle and letting them loose occasionally, and the assassin was another kind of loose end that i imagine will never be resolved, so kind of lame

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Vilgefartz posted:

I'm feel like they adaptated the little arachnid mandible dudes from Season of Storms where the mages are creating these monsters in their weird castle and letting them loose occasionally, and the assassin was another kind of loose end that i imagine will never be resolved, so kind of lame

maybe the assassin was Rience?

also for some reason I really thought in that episode the baby wouldn't die and get revealed as Maeve

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I kinda liked that. Why wouldn't the assassin be a guy in a wizard robe who sends a giant bug to kill you? Now let's never mention it again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the books there's a passing reference to a wizard who used the forbidden book of alzul to create monsters, which eventually escaped and went on a rampage before disappearing deep into a forest. Maybe that's the guy. This did happen decades ago.

Yen's actress says her storyline goes from the age of 14 to late 70s.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"The stories take place years apart" isn't really a spoiler so much as something that should be in the OP to help reduce confusion.

I miiiight add it to the OP when I get home but they drop so many hints before making it obvious.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno. I think it's definitely a "reveal" that the show is doing. I don't quite understand the point, but it's definitely an intentional withholding on the show's part, so revealing it is a spoiler.

I guess it's something to do with the way the show is framing questions of destiny and fate, but I'd have to think on it a bit.

eh not really. It's clear as early as the first episode if you pay attention.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

The main thing to improve your combat skills is

1: always be dodging

2: hold down A to run

3: don't block. that button doesn't exist. stop it.

4: see 1

5: stop trying to block. see 1 again

For real though Geralt is tied with wraiths and werewolves for the fastest combatant in the game, so there's no reason to ever not have control of a fight. If it's inconvenient to be where you are just don't be there. Every group fight can become a series of one on one fights just by watching your footwork. Geralt is a duelist not an armored knight. Bombs, potions and spells are all mostly there as tools to deal with specific monster types and do crowd control for the many many times you have to fight groups. Once you get the hang of the combat system groups of human enemies don't pose much threat, and you can usually flee if you're seriously outnumbered by monsters.

All of these are good suggestions. Also, the show was way better than I hoped that it could be. I’m now in purgatory awaiting the next season, so I will be replaying Witcher 3, and maybe making some different choices. Other than trying to be a Good Dad, the only correct way to play. Always pick the snowball fight, my dudes.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Finally got around to finishing up the last two episodes and I think the only reason I could follow anything is because I read the first two books (the short story collection ones), the jumping back and forth didn't make much sense to me when they could've just done single story episodes and given them a chance to breath. The Dryad forest in particular was rushed and ultimately pointless considering Geralt never even shows up.

That being said, all the actors are great and I look forward to Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t need every question answered. Like the mage assassin, the whole scene is to have a bit of action, setup part of Yennefer’s baby mama drama, and show how much she’s grown as a sorceress. It does all that. When the assassin never shows up again I just went “eh, he wasn’t important” and moved on.