Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
it ain't christmas til somebody posts the japanese poster for scrooged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Origami Dali posted:

JESUS CHRIST.

It's beautiful :stare:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mothra vs Godzilla was originally released in America as "Godzilla vs The Thing", because the company that got the rights to distribute it worried that the company that had the rights to distribute Mothra also had the rights to the name. They then decided to base the marketing around that ambiguous name

Imagine seeing this poster, and it turns out The Thing is actually just a giant moth

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Desperado Bones posted:

JESUS CHRIST.

It's beautiful :stare:

ok shepherd

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Origami Dali posted:

can't believe bill murray's last name is palpatine

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Edit: I haven't slept well these last days, my apologies.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 26, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg14jNbBb-8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

This is loving baffling. My Japanese is extremely rusty, but I think it says that every hero begins as a baby?? Does the sonic movie prominently feature baby sonic?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

remigious posted:

This is loving baffling. My Japanese is extremely rusty, but I think it says that every hero begins as a baby?? Does the sonic movie prominently feature baby sonic?

I assume they are trying to riff on baby Yoda but I don’t think Disney Plus has started here.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Origami Dali posted:

See that 3?

Pretty they’re billing this as ghostbusters 3

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Patrick Stewart is gonna beat a vagrant to death.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mustached5thGrader posted:

See that 3?

Pretty they’re billing this as ghostbusters 3

That would be pretty weird considering Scrooged came out in 88 and Ghostbusters 2 came out in 89

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samovar posted:

Patrick Stewart is gonna beat a vagrant to death.

Updated for holiday cross-promotional purposes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

zenintrude posted:

That would be pretty weird considering Scrooged came out in 88 and Ghostbusters 2 came out in 89

The title apparently translates to "3 ghosts".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
3人のゴースト (san-nin no goosuto) literally translates to "the three ghost-men".

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Sorry, I was edibles posting and really thought I made a discovery

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Origami Dali posted:

Japan loves Carol Kane so much they put her on the poster three times.

Just as she deserves :allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Updated for holiday cross-promotional purposes.

RIP those younglings.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

remigious posted:

"Every hero was once just a baby," basically.

I have no clue why baby Sonic is a thing now, besides marketing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

remigious posted:

Surprisingly, yes

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1210346465484083201

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Urgh, I hate it so much. This is not cute!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

The Cameo posted:

Not even so much recreating, it was literally "so Superman's one of the most recognizable figures on the planet; who's bigger than Superman?" because they pre-dated (and one could argue, started) the obsession of movie executives and producers of taking the most recognizable brand they can afford to license/outright purchase and turning them into movies because of a weird assumption that because everyone knows what Kleenex is, they would go see The Kleenex Adventure instead of going "that is the stupidest idea I have ever heard" and ignoring its existence

You mean like the Million Dollar Mystery, a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World rip-off sponsored by Glad trash bags with a half baked contest tacked on to it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Of loving course it's De Laurentiis.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Of loving course it's De Laurentiis.

I believe it was DEG's last film as a studio.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe it was DEG's last film as a studio.

It's the one that bankrupted the studio, but they still had a few that came out afterwards like Near Dark and Hiding Out. Then they had to start selling stuff like Pumpkinhead and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure to other distributors.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

COOL CORN posted:

smh even japanese posters exclude ernie hudson

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

remigious posted:

Urgh, I hate it so much. This is not cute!

I really really want to see nightmare pre-redesign sonic baby.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

COOL CORN posted:

Oh man that is a damned clever way to make people think Ghostbusters 3 when it's actually A Christmas Carol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Especially clever because at that point there was no Ghostbusters 2, and Ghostbusters in Japan was just called ゴーストバスターズ

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Reminds me of this.

"Men In Cat"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just remembered that comedies (many of them with Bill Murray!) would usually be called something with "rear end" in Denmark. Some examples:

Caddyshack: Røven fuld af penge — Assfull of Money
Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Røvtur på 1. klasse — rear end Trip on First Class
Stripes: Røven af 4. division — The rear end of 4th Division (which is a sports expression :confused:)
Up the Creek: Buksevand til hængerøve — idk even know where to begin translating these
Meatballs: Med røven i vandskorpen

There's also "Halløj i/på [place]" (Hubbub in/at ...) as well, which had Fawlty Towers being called "Halløj på Badehotellet" (... at the beach hotel) & the Whoopie Goldberg movies Sister Act and The Associate were Hubbub in the Convent and in Wall Street respectively. Apparently this one goes back to the 1930s! http://brianiskov.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloej-paa-titelkontoret.html

Leslie Nielsen comedies were all "High"-something because Airplane! was called "The Higher You Fly" (the further you fall).

Norway had a similar thing where The Producers (Springtime for Hitler) caused subsequent comedies to be named "Springtime for ..."

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

smh even japanese posters exclude ernie hudson

I appreciate this joke.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

I just remembered that comedies (many of them with Bill Murray!) would usually be called something with "rear end" in Denmark. Some examples:

Caddyshack: Røven fuld af penge — Assfull of Money
Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Røvtur på 1. klasse — rear end Trip on First Class
Stripes: Røven af 4. division — The rear end of 4th Division (which is a sports expression :confused:)
Up the Creek: Buksevand til hængerøve — idk even know where to begin translating these
Meatballs: Med røven i vandskorpen

There's also "Halløj i/på [place]" (Hubbub in/at ...) as well, which had Fawlty Towers being called "Halløj på Badehotellet" (... at the beach hotel) & the Whoopie Goldberg movies Sister Act and The Associate were Hubbub in the Convent and in Wall Street respectively. Apparently this one goes back to the 1930s! http://brianiskov.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloej-paa-titelkontoret.html

Leslie Nielsen comedies were all "High"-something because Airplane! was called "The Higher You Fly" (the further you fall).

Norway had a similar thing where The Producers (Springtime for Hitler) caused subsequent comedies to be named "Springtime for ..."
Sweden also did the "Springtime" thing ("Dracula - Dead and Loving It" was "Springtime for Dracula", for instance). And similar to "Halløj", we had "Pang i Plugget" ("Saved by the Bell", or "[explosion onomatopoeia] in School") and "Pang i Bygget" ("Fawlty Towers", "[explosion onomatopoeia] in the Building", I guess?).

Translations are weird.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

In Finland, Airplane! is "Hey, We're Flying", which was then followed by movies like "Hey, We're Laughing" (Kentucky Fried Movie), "Hey, We're Rocking!" (This Is Spinal Tap), and "Hey, We're Diving" (Going Under).

My absolute favorite example of this is the Arnold Schwarzenegger duology of "Run Or Die" (The Running Man) and "Forget Or Die" (Total Recall).

e: Strangely enough, this type of naming convention reappeared in 2016 when the Studio Ghibli film Only Yesterday was released here under the name "Whisper of Yesterday", named after Whisper of the Heart which had been released in 2009.

Veib fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 28, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Woebin posted:

Sweden also did the "Springtime" thing ("Dracula - Dead and Loving It" was "Springtime for Dracula", for instance). And similar to "Halløj", we had "Pang i Plugget" ("Saved by the Bell", or "[explosion onomatopoeia] in School") and "Pang i Bygget" ("Fawlty Towers", "[explosion onomatopoeia] in the Building", I guess?).

Translations are weird.

I'm probably mixing up Norway/Sweden re Springtime, IMDB says it was called "Musical-svindlerne" (The Musical Swindlers) in Norway

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
In the 60s and 70s, Germany and Italy would constantly label Showa-era kaiju films as being King Kong or Frankenstein films (and at one point Superman). Even the Toho-produced King Kong Escapes was titled "King Kong - Frankenstein's Sohn" in Germany, because they just couldn't help themselves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Paper Kaiju posted:

In the 60s and 70s, Germany and Italy would constantly label Showa-era kaiju films as being King Kong or Frankenstein films (and at one point Superman). Even the Toho-produced King Kong Escapes was titled "King Kong - Frankenstein's Sohn" in Germany, because they just couldn't help themselves.

Which is ironic because King Kong vs Godzilla was originally written as King Kong vs Frankenstein. But they liked the Frankenstein idea so much they went on to make Frankenstein conquers the World. And then a sequel, Frankenstein's Monsters: Sanda vs. Gaira. Which was released in America as The War of the Gargantuas, with the monsters called Gargantuas and all references to Frankenstein removed for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Norway did the whole «Hjelp, vi...» and then movietitle for comedies for the longest time.
Airplane = Hjelp, vi flyr! = Help, we’re flying!
National lampoons christmas vacation = Hjelp, det er juleferie = Help, it’s christmas vacation