Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm currently working on a new website thanks to this thread, and it is nearly done. Here is the link for anyone that wants to see the work in progress. It's mobile friendly!

Password: meatloaf20

The new website it looking much, much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

Having "farm to terminal" in quotes makes it sound sarcastic

Where/when did you work at the Grand Floridian?

Yeah, it's supposed to be a little tongue in cheek.

Early 2010s, main kitchen.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 26, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm currently working on a new website thanks to this thread, and it is nearly done. Here is the link for anyone that wants to see the work in progress. It's mobile friendly!

Password: meatloaf20
You deserve an award for having the hours and menu right there on the same page.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Be aware that spoiler tags do not protect that from nongoons.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The drink prices seem high compared to how reasonably priced the food is. Are drink price minimums set by the airport? Perhaps in an effort to reduce price wars between competing bars?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
My man is out here claiming to have food local to Orlando and doesn’t even have unlimited breadsticks like locally-based restaurant chain Olive Garden, shameful.

For real though this thread is great and now I want to find some business reason to fly into Orlando, the menu looks amazing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Be aware that spoiler tags do not protect that from nongoons.

Ah, oh well, doesn't really matter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

The drink prices seem high compared to how reasonably priced the food is. Are drink price minimums set by the airport? Perhaps in an effort to reduce price wars between competing bars?

Not that I'm aware of, I think it's just an effort to squeeze people, more in line with typical airport establishments. For what it's worth, I have absolutely no say or influence over the bar.

Interestingly, even with prices at the bar being what they are, our bar manager barely manages to keep her liquor cost on target. I am not what you would call a "fan" of hers, on either a personal or professional standpoint.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 27, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks, I'm glad people are getting some entertainment out of this!

Yes, professional chefs generally have their own preference for knives that they work with, I use Mercer (reliable, inexpensive, durable). However, with airport security being what it is, we cannot bring our own knives in. I purchase knives for the restaurant; we get Dexter brand, just cheap commercial knives that cost nothing. We don't even bother sharpening them, we just replace them when they get dull.

Ah, thanks! I've been getting into buying nicer knives so the whole relationship that chefs have with theirs is something I find intriguing.

Being so close to Disney, do you ever get parents asking to Disney-up a dish for their kid?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Ah, thanks! I've been getting into buying nicer knives so the whole relationship that chefs have with theirs is something I find intriguing.

Being so close to Disney, do you ever get parents asking to Disney-up a dish for their kid?

Like, make it look crazy? No, never. We do, however, get a metric poo poo ton of people with absolutely crippling allergies and diet restrictions. I don't work with peanut products of any kind anywhere in the restaurant for that reason, and we try to accommodate people as best we can.

But, uh, your son is allergic to tree nuts, soy, sesame, onion, garlic, dairy, red meat, pork, and mustard?

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING IN A SOUTHERN RESTAURANT?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Allergies are such a huge issue in the industry today, and it's only growing. Anywhere you're dealing with lots of kids (especially at Disney) has to stay on top of that stuff and it can be really difficult for independent restaurants.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

Allergies are such a huge issue in the industry today, and it's only growing. Anywhere you're dealing with lots of kids (especially at Disney) has to stay on top of that stuff and it can be really difficult for independent restaurants.

Exactly. I keep a binder of all the allergens present in every item, and we stock gluten free hamburger buns, white bread, and pasta. We get good comments about our offerings, but you do still get the people that are APPALED that every salad dressing and sauce we make has sugar in them, or how RIDICULOUS it is that we won't whip up a batch of jambalaya using water instead of stock and taking out all the meat and topping it with a remolaude that we will make on the spot with no pepper in the middle of a $5000 hour.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Like, make it look crazy? No, never.

Yeah, like making the food look like Disney characters or something. Considering how many people have a weird, cult-like reverence for anything Disney, I'm so glad you don't do special orders like that. The last time I was in the Orlando airport a toddler was melting down that they couldn't get Mickey Mouse pancakes at McDonalds. The phrase, "How dare you ruin my child's magical vacation!" was uttered by one of the parents at one point. Ugh...

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 28, 2019

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Please god how do I make the Cheerwine glaze

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Metaline posted:

Please god how do I make the Cheerwine glaze

Reduce cheerwine soda and red wine vinegar, stir in sorghum syrup.

This is actually a good example of how we have to identify ways to streamline our production cycles to deal with volume. Instead of cracking hundreds of cans of soda into a pot and reducing it for a million years, we simply use the big 5 gallon soda fountain syrup bags. Cuts literal hours off the prep time of reducing all the water out, and ensures a consistent end result.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 28, 2019

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

This is actually a good example of how we have to identify ways to streamline our production cycles to deal with volume. Instead of cracking hundreds of cans of soda into a pot and reducing it for a million years, we simply use the big 5 gallon soda fountain syrup bags. Cuts literal hours off the prep time of reducing all the water out, and ensures a consistent end result.

Ahhhh I love that. I’m from the hometown of Cheerwine but live in Toronto, where the best I can get is a bottle of the stuff for $4CDN, so a dream of accessing the syrup is beyond me. However, you’ve inspired me to make a black cherry syrup next time I roast up some Brussels spouts, so thank you!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Holy poo poo that's brilliant

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was thinking to myself "drat why didn't I eat there when my Wife went to Florida in 2016. It's because we were 1 month too early :-(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A very satisfying part of my job is being able to call airport security on travelers that threaten my staff or skip out on bills, causing them to miss their flights, and sometimes be detained by TSA depending on their demeanor. Don't play games in the airport, folks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

A very satisfying part of my job is being able to call airport security on travelers that threaten my staff or skip out on bills, causing them to miss their flights, and sometimes be detained by TSA depending on their demeanor. Don't play games in the airport, folks.

Nnnnnrg, shoot that straight into my veins. Any particularly memorable stories you can share?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Nnnnnrg, shoot that straight into my veins. Any particularly memorable stories you can share?

Tonight, guy screamed at a bartender for not buying back one of his drinks when he complained it wasn't a double (we don't free pour, we jigger everything) and threw his drink at her. He was taken away by the police when he tried to board his plane.

Solo business traveler btw lol

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Tonight, guy screamed at a bartender for not buying back one of his drinks when he complained it wasn't a double (we don't free pour, we jigger everything) and threw his drink at her. He was taken away by the police when he tried to board his plane.

:bisonyes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I do wonder how his company will take him booking a trip to jail on company time and dime. :allears:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i miss that cathartis.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Metaline posted:

Ahhhh I love that. I’m from the hometown of Cheerwine but live in Toronto, where the best I can get is a bottle of the stuff for $4CDN, so a dream of accessing the syrup is beyond me. However, you’ve inspired me to make a black cherry syrup next time I roast up some Brussels spouts, so thank you!

One wonders how a Cherry Sundrop glaze would play ball. I’m down the road from Salisbury so HMU if you’re serious about that syrup. I could use the excuse to go swing by the Krispy Kreme over there.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Not that I'm aware of, I think it's just an effort to squeeze people, more in line with typical airport establishments. For what it's worth, I have absolutely no say or influence over the bar.

Interestingly, even with prices at the bar being what they are, our bar manager barely manages to keep her liquor cost on target. I am not what you would call a "fan" of hers, on either a personal or professional standpoint.

Big fan of what you're doing. Was slightly disappointed to see the wine list but it makes sense now. I believe there's a lot of room to offer better selections at the same or better margins, and I hope you all are able to work it out

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Warbird posted:

One wonders how a Cherry Sundrop glaze would play ball. I’m down the road from Salisbury so HMU if you’re serious about that syrup. I could use the excuse to go swing by the Krispy Kreme over there.

Lotta half decent bbq in Salisbury too.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Warbird posted:

My mom’s high school FWB grew up to be Cheerwine’s CEO because his grandfather started the company, so if I REALLY wanted I bet he’d just send a bunch of syrup to my mom’s house, haha. My siblings and I grew up visiting him at the office whenever we were in town (grew up in Atlanta then Toronto) and would always leave with bags full of free merch and 6-packs.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I will never understand bar managers that can’t control PC. A liquor license in the US is a license to print money.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Warbird posted:

We used to use that same glaze on a fish entree at a place I used to work at, it was amazing.

Make some bbq sauce with it and you will legit make new friends.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

We used to use that same glaze on a fish entree at a place I used to work at, it was amazing.

Make some bbq sauce with it and you will legit make new friends.

Cheerwine onion marmalade

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I had a charcuterie board there in like May this year! I remember being super impressed how awesome that place was - the decor was awesome, bartenders were prompt, and that board was delicious - I was expecting some pretty lame lunch-meatesque board, but it was like honest to go charcuterie. Sadly my travels haven't taken me back through Orlando quite yet.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dramatika posted:

I had a charcuterie board there in like May this year! I remember being super impressed how awesome that place was - the decor was awesome, bartenders were prompt, and that board was delicious - I was expecting some pretty lame lunch-meatesque board, but it was like honest to go charcuterie. Sadly my travels haven't taken me back through Orlando quite yet.

It's always fun to find out somewhere you went is goonrun. Glad you enjoyed it; we can't possibly hope to run our own charcuterie program here, so I source the best stuff I can find through specialty vendors, and do house pickles and local bread or crackers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Just saw over in the industry thread that you're working NYD. How busy is your place during holidays? Like on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, are you turbo-hosed, or does it even out since so many travelers are harried and just trying to get from point A to point B after delays and general insanity that they don't want a nice sit-down meal?

Being in Orlando, what you would say is the busiest season, or is it consistent bc there's so many attractions there? As I mentioned, my retired father lives in Key West, but does bike and historic walking tours to keep busy and supplement his Social Security during the winter. Business sharply drops off during the summer months, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just saw over in the industry thread that you're working NYD. How busy is your place during holidays? Like on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, are you turbo-hosed, or does it even out since so many travelers are harried and just trying to get from point A to point B after delays and general insanity that they don't want a nice sit-down meal?

Being in Orlando, what you would say is the busiest season, or is it consistent bc there's so many attractions there? As I mentioned, my retired father lives in Key West, but does bike and historic walking tours to keep busy and supplement his Social Security during the winter. Business sharply drops off during the summer months, though.

Good question.

We did $67,000 in sales the day before Thanksgiving. Every year is a total shitshow. The holiday season is our busiest by a huge margin, since its travel season. We start getting busier in mid October and it ramps up until Christmas, falls off slightly after new year's, then spikes again at spring break. Summer is the slowest time of year.

That said, our slow season is still busy by conventional standards.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 30, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
What is typically the slowest day of the week for you? Does it change seasonally?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

What is typically the slowest day of the week for you? Does it change seasonally?

Tuesday. Season doesn't matter, people fly in the same days of the week regardless. Thursday is out busiest day, people flying out for the weekend. Sunday is second, people flying back.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Tuesday. Season doesn't matter, people fly in the same days of the week regardless. Thursday is out busiest day, people flying out for the weekend. Sunday is second, people flying back.

Thursday is also typically consultants flying home in the evening.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Thursday is also typically consultants flying home in the evening.

Which explains why we get so many cocksucker SBTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Which explains why we get so many cocksucker SBTs

Uh... burn?