Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think i mentioned Josue "Josh" Pierre itt, the 42nd AD male district leader running against my state senator Kevin Parker. he just announced that he's dropping out of that race and running for the City Council seat which will be vacated by Mathieu Eugene, who is being term-limited out. as much as i want Parker out, this probably makes more sense from a political standpoint, as it's more winnable and he probably was getting gently caress-all for endorsements
online petitions never work, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

brooklyn borough president and presumptive mayoral candidate Eric Adams spoke at the opening for a senior center catering to poor and LGBT residents. he said some, uh, weird things during it

i'm not 100% sure what he was trying to get at, but i interpret his comments as "LGBT people are harbingers of gentrification" and "black & brown New Yorkers are more socially conservative and won't take kindly to them using the services here"

other things to keep in mind about Adams:

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Dec 26, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/richazzopardi/status/1210281469303767040?s=21

cuomo vetoed e-bike legalization and cited a death in NJ in his veto message

the kid who died was hit by a truck

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A bit of levity for these dark times:
https://twitter.com/CityAndStateNY/status/1210356369565634561

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/richazzopardi/status/1210281469303767040?s=21

cuomo vetoed e-bike legalization and cited a death in NJ in his veto message

the kid who died was hit by a truck
i'll admit that i'm pretty skeptical of e-bikes and e-scooters because i live a block from a sushi place where a delivery guy rides one, and i've had a few close scrapes with him. at the same time, gently caress Rich Assholepardi

this list of other bills vetoed by Cuomo has a healthy dose of sarcasm and i'm here for it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What then happens when Uber and Lyft run out of VC money?

https://twitter.com/CBS6Albany/status/1210694181477322753

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dui's spike

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then we build a robust public transit system, largely focusing on traihahahahahaa

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tulip posted:

Then we build a robust public transit system, largely focusing on traihahahahahaa

They can't even get a decent bus going from Troy to the airport or to the train station on the same side of the Hudson.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double post for new content:

https://twitter.com/JoeBorelliNYC/status/1211270777674371073

And who is this fucker?

loving secede already.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
So, how will it go over for Cuomo to craft whatever 'domestic terrorism' law he's talking about in press conferences today.

How partisan can we get that it would be shat upon by various entities? Or how bad can he screw it up that it deserves to be shat upon?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

this is the 2010s, man (at least for the next few days). it's not like every other decade: venture capital won't turn off the flow of money into ill-advised business models simply because they'll never turn a profit. if this were any other decade in a capitalist economy, Uber and Lyft would have been dead six months after launch

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Double post for new content:

https://twitter.com/JoeBorelliNYC/status/1211270777674371073

And who is this fucker?

loving secede already.
don't you worry, Borelli got the ball rolling again on Staten Island secession approximately five seconds after he lost the general election for NYC public advocate. in addition to this, he's one of the City Council's biggest transphobes

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

So, how will it go over for Cuomo to craft whatever 'domestic terrorism' law he's talking about in press conferences today.
it should be fun to see how the legislature's rank-and-file talk about Cuomo once they get back into Albany. they've got a head of steam due to passing rent regulations and other things bottled up by Senate Republicans for years, and i imagine there will be bigger pushes for issues left unsettled, like legal weed and the New York Health Act. some will be quiet about it and let their bills do the talking, but people like Ramos and Biaggi aren't going to stop shouting at him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess we'll have to go back to paying drivers a living wage and putting them under proper oversight. What a shame, undoing so much progress there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Politico's been on the warpath against Medicare for All over the past couple of months, providing skewed reporting by giving more voices against it and one or two voices for it. this article about the NY Health Act is no different

it does fail to mention a major obstacle to its success, though: a federal waiver to redirect Medicare and Medicaid money to such a program. Gottfried has mentioned that it can succeed without one, but it becomes that much harder if it doesn't, if not impossible. i brought up NYHA at a debate watch and one of the attendees said his mom is on PNHP, which are medical professionals for universal healthcare, and she admits it won't succeed without one

gotta make sure to elect Bernie in this and many other cases

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

Politico's been on the warpath against Medicare for All over the past couple of months, providing skewed reporting by giving more voices against it and one or two voices for it. this article about the NY Health Act is no different

it does fail to mention a major obstacle to its success, though: a federal waiver to redirect Medicare and Medicaid money to such a program. Gottfried has mentioned that it can succeed without one, but it becomes that much harder if it doesn't, if not impossible. i brought up NYHA at a debate watch and one of the attendees said his mom is on PNHP, which are medical professionals for universal healthcare, and she admits it won't succeed without one

gotta make sure to elect Bernie in this and many other cases

so just to square my read of what you're saying here:

the NY State equivalent of a federal/national M4A badly needs an authorization or waiver or whatever that looks like to assign that funding the state receives from the Feds, that would otherwise be allocated to theoretically-now-obsolete piecemeal programs like Medicare and Medicaid, into its internal universal program.

yeah that'd be a huge help

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why cant they just call the new state program medicaid so they can keep using the medicaid funds and then if they get sued, not give a poo poo like rightwing states do when they are up to no good and keep trucking along

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so just to square my read of what you're saying here:

the NY State equivalent of a federal/national M4A badly needs an authorization or waiver or whatever that looks like to assign that funding the state receives from the Feds, that would otherwise be allocated to theoretically-now-obsolete piecemeal programs like Medicare and Medicaid, into its internal universal program.

yeah that'd be a huge help
yeah you summed it up nicely. the other thing that this guy's mom said is that they can pass NYHA, attempt to get a waiver and fail, yet still declare victory for trying. so getting it passed isn't as much of a risk as you'd think. technically they passed a single-payer system in Vermont and have done practically nothing to make it a reality

Real hurthling! posted:

why cant they just call the new state program medicaid so they can keep using the medicaid funds and then if they get sued, not give a poo poo like rightwing states do when they are up to no good and keep trucking along
in politics, it's always easier to destroy than create

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bit of local corruption: Albany County worker alleges retaliation after she bucked [Albany County Executive] McCoy

quote:

The whistleblower who helped Albany County Comptroller Michael Conners investigate allegations that employees were on duty when they regularly worked on county Executive Daniel McCoy's 2015 re-election campaign has filed a federal lawsuit accusing McCoy and other county leaders of violating her civil rights by cutting her salary, demoting her and eventually terminating her from a job at the board of elections.

The civil complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Albany this week, includes allegations that McCoy "shunned" the employee, Keri Kresler, after she refused to back candidates he supported for positions in Albany city government, including Mayor Kathy Sheehan. Kresler, who was formerly a 7th Ward leader for the Democratic party in Albany, has been politically active for many years and worked on various campaigns, including helping coordinate McCoy's successful 2015 re-election bid.

In that role, Kresler and other county employees, including McCoy's brother, Brian, were on taxpayer time when allegedly worked on McCoy's re-election campaign from a rural parks and recreation building in Voorheesville. Kresler had provided Conners with a trove of emails and other records that apparently backed up her assertion that multiple county employees, including Jennifer Clement, the county's human resources director, would perform campaign work on county time.

Kresler remains employed by Albany County after Conners gave her a job in his office following her termination from the board of elections earlier this year. Conners initially contacted Kresler about his interest in probing the allegations of county workers having "low-show" and "no-show" jobs as well as workers conducting campaign work on county time.

Her lawsuit indicates that Kresler was reluctant to assist Conners, who gave her a "Fraud & Abuse Complaint Form" that referenced whistleblower protections she was entitled to receive. Among others, Kresler informed Conners that Brian McCoy, Jack Flynn and Rebecca Williams — all of whom had been employed in the county's recreation department — had allegedly done work on the 2015 campaign on county time.

More in the story.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Melinda Katz, who has pledged to never seek cash bail uber any circumstances, is off to a great start!

https://twitter.com/DavidFBrand/status/1212396862008942592

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

gah, came here to post about that - makes the close loss all the more frustrating.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Looks like the session will be off to a bit of a start:

https://twitter.com/CBSNewYork/status/1213241129740754944

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Quick question from up here in CT. Why do you all keep electing Andrew Cuomo despite the fact that as far as I can tell, nobody likes him?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Quick question from up here in CT. Why do you all keep electing Andrew Cuomo despite the fact that as far as I can tell, nobody likes him?

he runs the patronage machine

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ofc cuomo would veto the SWEAT bill. what a scum bag

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/status/1213885173395275782?s=19

Protesting against yourself ftw

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

CaptainPsyko posted:

Melinda Katz, who has pledged to never seek cash bail uber any circumstances, is off to a great start!

https://twitter.com/DavidFBrand/status/1212396862008942592

lol it's still on her campaign website

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Like jeez lady at least force me to find the cached version of the page if you're gonna do that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cuomo said he wants weed this year today.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
One state senator had a bad day yesterday:

https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1215053358458986497

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Real hurthling! posted:

cuomo said he wants weed this year today.

That's cool. If only he had ever been in a position to see that legislation passed and wasn't a lying shithead with no credibility.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
governor cuomo is a poster designer now

what the gently caress

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol looks like a grover cleveland poster

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1215349996213551104

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol extremely good poo poo

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Taintrunner posted:

what the gently caress

This isn't enough annotations, but it's some annotations:
https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/news-politics/cuomos-poster-annotated.html

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/NYCCOIB/status/1215762048350609408

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

what the gently caress

Ah, hes using the Ben Garrison meets Thomas Nast method. Let's see if this pays off

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taintrunner posted:

what the gently caress

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/meet-brooklyn-artist-paid-manifest-cuomos-manic-late-night-fever-dreams

quote:

[Editor's note: Despite Zimmerman's obvious respect for the governor, the artist appears to have backed Cuomo’s opponent, Cynthia Nixon, in the 2018 primary. Follow up inquiries about Zimmerman's voting record were not returned.]

LMAOOOO

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In a late Christmas/early Passover gift, the feds might rid us of a meddlesome soi-disant "boss", Rensselaer County's Exec McLaughlin

quote:

TROY — A year-long criminal investigation that has focused on the financial dealings of Rensselaer County Executive Steve McLaughlin, a firebrand former state assemblyman, as well as his county operations director and closest political confidant, Richard W. Crist, is nearing an end and expected to result in criminal charges, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

The investigation by the FBI and state attorney general's office has examined the handling of campaign funds by both McLaughlin and Crist, who was formerly employed by the county Legislature. Crist, like McLaughlin, is regarded as an influential figure in Rensselaer County politics, especially in the Republican party.

Last March, Crist was placed on leave from his $105,000-a-year county job — with McLaughlin's consent — after the Times Union reported that he was a focus of the criminal investigation. Crist returned to work at his county job five months later, and people close to him had said the probe found no wrongdoing.

A person familiar with the matter, but not authorized to comment publicly, said the investigation is expected to result in court activity as early as next month.

Three people who were interviewed by investigators within the past eight months said the probe appears to be focused on the campaign and business dealings of both McLaughlin and Crist, who ran McLaughlin's successful inaugural county executive campaign in 2017, but was not involved in his Assembly elections. However, the investigation has also examined McLaughin's handling of campaign funds from his Assembly runs, according to sources briefed on the case.

:pray:

Edit:

And the sooner the better, what a piece of poo poo

quote:

McLaughlin said the city owes the county $8,000 for its share of hiring a CDTA bus to take city children out to Grafton Lake State Park to swim in 2018 and 2019 when the city pools were closed. McLaughlin also said an apology was not made after a city employee – identified by other officials as Deputy Mayor Monica Kurzejeski -- more than 18 months ago “wrongly claimed the county had provided engineering services and inspection to a hill that collapsed.”

“Setting aside these considerable credibility issues, the county still wishes to assist with revitalization and economic efforts in Troy,” McLaughlin said.

Madden said these were “unrelated matters.” He said the county launched the bus service on its own and that the city paid the $2,000 bill submitted by CDTA. And, the mayor agreed that there was a misstated fact to a City Council member, but that “a clarifying statement and apology was made the next day.”

Just a full-on piece of poo poo, he just can't get over the fact he couldn't bully somebody out of the election to get Madden to lose.

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GloriaPazmino/status/1219345749227573249?s=20

:eyepop: