Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1209009628668776448

just remake the loving show already, Bandai.

nobody under 35 is watching those goddamn compilation films (especially after the Origin OAVs stunning animation). you can't keep riding off the coattails of that trilogy forever.

this franchise will continue to lose money because of absolute incompetence on the part of the Execs

Maybe that will be the live-action movies made by Legendary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Make Frozen Teardrop, cowards.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

chumbler posted:

Make Frozen Teardrop, cowards.

you jest but that poo poo would sell like gangbusters in the US, bring back the Wing Dub actors slap it on Toonami alongside DB Super and (hypothetical) Sailor Moon Crystal and watch the Millennial nostalgia money come rolling in!

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 28, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's also important to remember here that the US is a secondary audience. Sure, more fans in the west and other Asian countries would be a nice boost to the bottom line, but the main audience for Gundam is still in Japan. And in Japan, a remake of the original (rather than a pseudo-remake like SEED) would get them eaten alive for any mistakes.

The original got the top spot in the recent Gundam poll, and even if the majority of people voting for it were old school fans, it still had 13 percent under 30. People still watch the original, and that puts more weight on the remake than usual.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a full version of origin is probably safe enough ground but yeah gently caress the idea of remaking tomino uc

especially if they were going to put loving cg in it lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Race Realists posted:

you jest but that poo poo would sell like gangbusters in the US, bring back the Wing Dub actors slap it on Toonami alongside DB Super and (hypothetical) Sailor Moon Crystal and watch the Millennial nostalgia money come rolling in!

However...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i for one would be ok with the cg origin adaptation

really though i just want them to loving follow up on bandit flower already

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Race Realists posted:

Didn't Heero's VA quit because the fans were being lovely and blamed him for the director's bad direction

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Not without Campbell Lane narrating it, sadly.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Tae posted:

Didn't Heero's VA quit because the fans were being lovely and blamed him for the director's bad direction

Apparently not, they just didn't hire him again:

https://twitter.com/hildrethmark/status/470323039633039361

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Race Realists posted:

I'm down but switch Sailor Moon Crystal out for the new dub of the original and/or play Sailor Moon Stars for the first time in the US.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd rather get a new series than a remake of something I already watched. Wanting nothing but more UC is just proof your souls are held down by gravity anyways.

On the topic, just binged Re:Rise, which I thought I'd never do because Build Divers was up there with AGE in the lovely series department. And instead...it was actually really good, what the gently caress? I'm not sure if I'd put it on the same level as the original Build Fighters but its a much better series than Try and Divers and I'm genuinely impressed with how good the overall writing was, especially considering they seemed to put all their effort into making something that was as un-Gundam-like as possible, and yet it actually works. Very well, in fact!

It says a lot that the most Gundam-like moment of the show is heroes fail, lots of people die, and it hits like an Axis Drop to the heart.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Race Realists posted:

I doubt most millenials would give a poo poo about Toonami nowadays, because that means putting it on a consistent schedule on television and most people would prefer to stream something on their own schedule to any device they have to hand. I loved the Wing/DBZ block as a teen, but if you told me someone was putting new episodes of new sequels to both on Toonami, all I'd want to know is when they're putting them on Crunchyroll/Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/Funimation/whatever, because that's just a lot handier and easier to fit in to my life.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tsob posted:

I doubt most millenials would give a poo poo about Toonami nowadays, because that means putting it on a consistent schedule on television and most people would prefer to stream something on their own schedule to any device they have to hand. I loved the Wing/DBZ block as a teen, but if you told me someone was putting new episodes of new sequels to both on Toonami, all I'd want to know is when they're putting them on Crunchyroll/Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/Funimation/whatever, because that's just a lot handier and easier to fit in to my life.

This is something I've been wondering and not sure where to ask.

How profitable is streaming? Specifically since I started watching anime on Funi's website, I haven't actually bought a DVD or bluray from them until just now when I had $20 and got a movie. But it's like...why does anyone buy anime season collections anymore when they can just stream everything on Funi's site or wherever?

So I wonder if they are actually losing money.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NikkolasKing posted:

This is something I've been wondering and not sure where to ask.

How profitable is streaming? Specifically since I started watching anime on Funi's website, I haven't actually bought a DVD or bluray from them until just now when I had $20 and got a movie. But it's like...why does anyone buy anime season collections anymore when they can just stream everything on Funi's site or wherever?

So I wonder if they are actually losing money.
I think the idea is that you're converting someone who buys a $20-$40 item once a year into someone who pays $5 (or whatever) every month forever and quite possibly hardly uses it. You also remove or reduce the costs associated with making physical media and so on. This also lets you do the long tail thing - if you can get the rights it is pretty easy to make a subtitle track for an anime and put it on your site, and then it's there on your servers forever*.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Onmi posted:

I don't want The Origin with that shite rear end CGI. It looks loving ugly, choppy as gently caress like the framerate's dropped to the sub-10s and it makes Char look slow.

How the gently caress is it 2019, almost 2020 and Zoids is still the premier "CGI battles look cool"?

The funny thing is the cgi in Aikatsu done by Bandai owned studio is some of the best TV anime cg so they have studios that could do it

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The original got the top spot in the recent Gundam poll, and even if the majority of people voting for it were old school fans, it still had 13 percent under 30. People still watch the original, and that puts more weight on the remake than usual.

do you have a link by any chance? not saying you're wrong or anything, just curious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Race Realists posted:

do you have a link by any chance? not saying you're wrong or anything, just curious.

No problem.

It's in Japanese, but if you click on the first ten shows, they give a graph of the demographic breakdowns.

For example, very few female Gundam fans like Stardust Memories.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

No problem.

It's in Japanese, but if you click on the first ten shows, they give a graph of the demographic breakdowns.

ah. many thanks

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not remotely surprised, given how poo poo the character building, relationships and plot are in Stardust Memories. About the only things I've ever seen anyone say they actually appreciate it for are the animation, fights and mechanical design, and it doesn't surprise me those appeal more to male audiences than female ones. The one character people seem to really like is Cima, and that's only if they take in to account characterization from supplementary material that isn't even consistent with the actual animated material. Or occasionally Gato, because he appeals to the previously discussed people of an authoritarian disposition even if he has no real personality or depth.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all they had to do was let keith and kou date

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd have though Kelly was a more appropriate boyfriend for Kou, but it has been a good few years so I may be forgetting some minor scenes with Keith.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's pretty noteworthy that Kou is a lot more receptive to the needs and emotions of Kelly, a man who he just meets and is ostensibly his enemy, than he is to Nina, who is supposed to be his girlfriend.

You could say "oh, they're both soldiers", but Kou doesn't really seem to understand any of the other soldiers he meets that much.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 29, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dogsicle posted:

all they had to do was let keith and kou date

Keith lucked out with Mona and therefore has the most stable and loving relationship in Gundam. Everyone else either dies horribly, lives a miserable married life, or, if they're useless shits like Michel, they get dumped.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm sure Lacus and Kira are fine together. Not like Flay's ghost is gonna ruin poo poo for them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kudelia and Atra are fine together. Not like Mika's ghost is gonna ruin poo poo for them.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kamille and Fa are fine together. Not like Four's ghost is gonna ruin poo poo for them.

She will, however, make things very awkward when she shows up to dinner unannounced.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arcsquad12 posted:

Keith lucked out with Mona and therefore has the most stable and loving relationship in Gundam. Everyone else either dies horribly, lives a miserable married life, or, if they're useless shits like Michel, they get dumped.

Domon and Rain beat the poo poo out of the Devil Gundam with the power of love

Or something

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm sure Lacus and Kira are fine together. Not like Flay's ghost is gonna ruin poo poo for them.

If Amuro is any indication in Char's Counterattack, ghost ex-nearlylovers are kind of annoying dicks at the very least.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Domon and Rain beat the poo poo out of the Devil Gundam with the power of love. Or something.

They both love Burger King, who won the Franchise Wars in the middle ages and is now all powerful.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 29, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

tsob posted:

They both love Burger King, who won the Franchise Wars in the middle ages and is now all powerful.

Ahh yes, the King of Heart Disease.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Reiji and Aila are literal kings and queen of a kingdom with a healthy trollish daughter

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

If Amuro is any indication in Char's Counterattack, ghost ex-nearlylovers are kind of annoying dicks at the very least.

Yeah, but at least Lalah mostly kept to dream sequences where they argue about whether Char is a jerk or not (He is). It didn't really stop him from the thing he had going on with Chan.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You all mention loving and stable couples but ignore Setsuna and Gundam?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Setsuna has always been a terrible boyfriend. Look at the state he leaves his Gundams in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Setsuna is a loving awful boyfriend. Just over the course of the series we see him ditch his ex for a fancy new fling with big drives, and then go back to his ex, and then abandon his ex again for his OTHER ex, then he gets a brand new girlfriend and goes off with her for decades but forces her to get a weird makeover in the meantime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Setsuna is a loving awful boyfriend. Just over the course of the series we see him ditch his ex for a fancy new fling with big drives, and then go back to his ex, and then abandon his ex again for his OTHER ex, then he gets a brand new girlfriend and goes off with her for decades but forces her to get a weird makeover in the meantime.

And then literally ditches her in a field.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

In terms of loving couples in Gundam, I have to mention Kihel Heim and Harry Ord.

Mostly because I want to imagine what bizarre but amazing outfit Harry would wear with absolute confidence in his look to the wedding.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, of the three emotionally deadened child soldiers, only Mikazuki seems to even be trying.

He understands that relationships are a matter of give and take. He knows that you should share important experiences with your partner. That you should spend time together whenever you can. That you shouldn't ask for anything that you're unwilling to work for yourself. And that, when times get tough, that's when you stick together.

(Also, for the list, Nadi and Merribit seemed happy together. Bright and Mirai also seemed to at least beat the spread, even if they had a lovely kid and some awkwardness from time to time.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Honestly, of the three emotionally deadened child soldiers, only Mikazuki seems to even be trying.

He understands that relationships are a matter of give and take. He knows that you should share important experiences with your partner. That you should spend time together whenever you can. That you shouldn't ask for anything that you're unwilling to work for yourself. And that, when times get tough, that's when you stick together.

(Also, for the list, Nadi and Merribit seemed happy together. Bright and Mirai also seemed to at least beat the spread, even if they had a lovely kid and some awkwardness from time to time.)

"Hey your brother Lockon was killed in action. You're Lockon now."
"No I'm not my brother and stop trying to make me into him."
"Whatever Lockon, get on the ship."

6 months later

"PS I killed your girlfriend."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted: