Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
H3VR is in desperate need of a new, better tutorial, as I learned about spawn locking and palming multiple bullets/shells by watching the devlogs. It's cumbersome and weird. I love the game, but it requires, by far, the most "skip the dumb tutorial and I'll just tell you what to do" when my friends try it for the first time.

IMO give it a few more tries, maybe over the course of a few days, and see if you can get used to the weirdness, because there's an awesome game once you get past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

There is some physics jank but it starts feeling a lot better once you become more mindful of your virtual body, it's appendages and get accustomed to the miming of momentum required in order to swing objects effectively. There's no toggle grab for melee weapons, projectile weapons are toggle grab but even with the Vive wands this becomes much less of an issue once the game explains inventory management. You want your hands to be free most of the time and only use tools when you actually need them or they'll collide with everything and even affect your body's momentum and center of mass.

They're patching in save games but they should have been there since launch, agreed.

I really don't like the melee, I never found it to feel good. I avoided melee as much as possible and when you have to fight, I found it more effective to grab whatever and then run around, and they'd end up getting slammed into stuff and that killed them way more effectively than trying to like fuckin dream punch them

Edit: probably the best way I can describe it is I spent the whole game trying to think about how I needed to interface with the system in order to get it to do what I wanted, I never got the feeling that I could think about what I wanted to do and subconsciously make it happen. Like needing to think about reaching over, grabbing a cup, putting it up to my mouth, raising it up, and tilting my head back, vs taking a sip of water. I'm sure there's a better term to describe that feeling.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 28, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Boneworks not having mid-mission saves. It forces me to power through it and I feel less-dumb for sticking with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Sample Platter is the tutorial level that teaches you the controls. Also if you go to the firing range and pick literally any gun out of the spawner it'll show you controls on how to use them.

As for ammo; Place in quick-slot, press up and click the thumbstick. It now infinitely spawns more from there. You can also stack them by holding one or more bullets and clicking up on the thumbstick over the filled quickslot.

Yeah this isn't obvious if you're new to H3VR but you should definitely go to The Sampler Platter FIRST before you even go to the gun range.

Its basically a guided gun range tutorial.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'm holding out on playing Boneworks until they implement the save feature and fix any other outstanding issues, so thank you all for beta testing it for me.

And yeah a quick 10-20 minute in-game run through of H3VR's controls, voiced by Anton in the style of his devlogs, would help a lot.

Leal posted:

Also I'm sorry goons but I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna give Bethesda money and buy Fallout 4 VR. Its 18 bucks. It'll probably be another 5 years before the game finally drops lower then that.

You're gonna have to work real hard to get your 18 bucks back in fun.

Owlbear Camus posted:

If the implementation is as bad as Skyrim I wouldn't touch it.

Much worse VR implementation, and also a much worse game, and improving both of those factors takes much more effort.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

I really don't like the melee, I never found it to feel good. I avoided melee as much as possible and when you have to fight, I found it more effective to grab whatever and then run around, and they'd end up getting slammed into stuff and that killed them way more effectively than trying to like fuckin dream punch them

Edit: probably the best way I can describe it is I spent the whole game trying to think about how I needed to interface with the system in order to get it to do what I wanted, I never got the feeling that I could think about what I wanted to do and subconsciously make it happen. Like needing to think about reaching over, grabbing a cup, putting it up to my mouth, raising it up, and tilting my head back, vs taking a sip of water. I'm sure there's a better term to describe that feeling.

Which is opposite of the experience I had, which was to naturally grab, move, lift and use various different things as weapons and tools. Boneworks is the most compelling VR experience I've had because of how natural everything is, see a place, try to get to a place. See a thing, use a thing.
It IS janky though, the same way as STALKER is janky. I'm the sort of person that can rationalize that as charm though.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Speaking of Boneworks, I just found this and the tricks this person uses to get out of the menu room like letting the crowbar slide down your hand is part of the reason I think the game is so neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2WdoDg5qc

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Is it possible you dislike the melee because things have weight? And even if you IRL swing super fast, the sledgehammer don't just instantly fly forwards with your RL hands?

I don't think its fantastic, But it was decent imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EbolaIvory posted:

Is it possible you dislike the melee because things have weight? And even if you IRL swing super fast, the sledgehammer don't just instantly fly forwards with your RL hands?

I don't think its fantastic, But it was decent imo.

I can't speak for them, but in my experience most things don't actually have much weight, or it doesn't matter much. You can still fling all but the heaviest things pretty fast.

I think its more just some jank with the IK, sometimes you swing your sword or whatever and it gets stuck on a shoulder when you tried to chop the head, or it sorta barely clipped the shoulder when you were trying to stab the chest, things like that.

To be fair though, fixing that would either require more controllers, some kind of feedback system (complex and expensive), or some galaxy-brain IK solution. There's a reason why CLANG failed, swordfighting is hard to do in a non-arcadey way. I think Gorn is still the best VR swordfighting and that's because it embraces the jank fully. Its definitely playable as-is, just janky sometimes as a lot of the more advanced VR interaction stuff can be.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 28, 2019

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Hellsau posted:

And yeah a quick 10-20 minute in-game run through of H3VR's controls, voiced by Anton in the style of his devlogs, would help a lot.

This sort of already exists - https://youtu.be/MBaLc-W11jg - see the H3VR tutorial #2 for the rest of the series. Most of the concepts are applicable to the Oculus controllers but it's worth noting the game only "mostly" supports them so there's a few quirky controls , like magazine ejection.

Worth sticking with it though as H3VR is excellent.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I got the beta for Eleven Table Tennis for Quest. It's supposed to be cross buy so you can buy the cheap Rift version to have the Quest version in the future.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just experimented with ALVR streaming. It's pretty impressive how well it works, all things considered. Lots of futsing around to get it working well though. I tried a direct hotspot off my pc as recommended, but got 300+ milliseconds. That wasn't pleasant.

Plugging the PC directly into one of my mesh repeaters though and things were pretty smooth at 70 or so milliseconds. Noticeable, but you could live with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OVR Toolkit is probably the best piece of software I have for my VR headset. Holy poo poo is it useful if you want to do any kind of multitasking.

Also, unlike what someone said, it totally let's you pin windows underneath your wrist, the way fpsVR does it, so that you can look at stuff without pressing any buttons but it won't be visible unless you're specifically trying to look at it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I got the beta for Eleven Table Tennis for Quest. It's supposed to be cross buy so you can buy the cheap Rift version to have the Quest version in the future.

How does it compare to racket fury?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

blunt posted:

How does it compare to racket fury?

racket fury is a lot more arcadey, while eleven's more of a simulation and it's doing it very well. it's wild how much muscle memory just immediately translated for me, they've done a fantastic job with the physics and feel of it

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand..............unstoked. On both accounts.

Am I missing some huge thing here?

Yeah, Boneworks has a title menu that says "for experienced VR users" and it seems like it's one of your first VR games. The midlevel saves thing isn't as big of a deal as some mention. I would say people who haven't spent time learning the ambulatory vernacular of VR in many different games of a long period of time would have issues with Boneworks, because it requires some fluency in that regard. It says as much in the title menu.

Refund it and come back later, or keep it and come back later. It is a pretty fun game and it was worth it in my opinion

H3VR is different. First of all, have you found out what your preferred movement style in VR is? Teleport? Smooth locomotion? Arm-swing? Do you snap or smooth turn? I use arm-swing and (fast) smooth turn personally. Once you've figured that in, configure that as your movement option.

Then it comes down to how much you know about guns and figuring out the controller analog for gun functions. Like someone said upthread, at the item spawner where you select guns, it will show you the instructions for loading and firing that specific weapon.

Beyond that, use the infinite ammo toggle so you can pull infinite clips/mags/shells/bullets from your vest.

ALSO

Take and Hold is incredible fun. But you have to play with the game mode settings to get the most (of what you want) out of it.

My brother only plays Take and Hold with the item spawner on. This let's you choose any weapon you want for use in that mode by giving you an item spawner in your starting room. This removes scoring, but he doesn't care, he always wants to have a silenced USP on his hip no matter what dice-roll gun he gets from the case.

There's also the infinite ammo toggle as well. If you're new to take and hold, play with infinite ammo on your vest. You will find it less stressful as you figure out the ebb and flow of the game.

Also, configure things like gravity and your health.

Playful gravity means everything lighter gravity than earth but not like, insane moon gravity, so mags are easier to snatch if you drop one, enemies will go tumbling through the air with a shotgun blast, and you can do things like.. pull the axe from over your shoulder and kill the SOSIG that rushed you around the corner, see the 4 other armoured SOSIGS rushing from behind him, throw your ace straight up into the air freeing your hand to grab your dual holstered beretta's and light them up before throwing them away like John Woo is directing you before you catch the axe you had thrown into the air moments before, swinging it one fluid motion and decapitating like two sausage dudes.

You can also turn on Arcade mode for the enemy guns, which means they're much slower and have tracers. You can give yourself more health. You can choose what type of loadout you'll be randomly gifted.

There is a ton of depth to take and hold. And I would not disagree that it's very impenetrable when it comes to figuring it all out, especially if you're new to VR

but it's one of the best VR games ever made so :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Glad I that all the Oculus poo poo is out of stock giving me a chance to re-read the OP before I went to replace my busted CV1 with an S.

What's a good cable for link on the Quest if I don't want to spend sixty USD?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Glad I that all the Oculus poo poo is out of stock giving me a chance to re-read the OP before I went to replace my busted CV1 with an S.

What's a good cable for link on the Quest if I don't want to spend sixty USD?

Personally I got:

6 foot Anker charger cable (note that there is a 10ft one now, it wasn't available before christmas :argh:)

Cable Creation active extension cable

Its working good so far. Though the link system can be extremely finicky. One day one of my USB 3 ports will work just fine, next day the oculus software will insist that the exact same port isn't a USB 3 port.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Penpal posted:

Yeah, Boneworks has a title menu that says "for experienced VR users" and it seems like it's one of your first VR games. The midlevel saves thing isn't as big of a deal as some mention. I would say people who haven't spent time learning the ambulatory vernacular of VR in many different games of a long period of time would have issues with Boneworks, because it requires some fluency in that regard. It says as much in the title menu.

Refund it and come back later, or keep it and come back later. It is a pretty fun game and it was worth it in my opinion

H3VR is different. First of all, have you found out what your preferred movement style in VR is? Teleport? Smooth locomotion? Arm-swing? Do you snap or smooth turn? I use arm-swing and (fast) smooth turn personally. Once you've figured that in, configure that as your movement option.

Then it comes down to how much you know about guns and figuring out the controller analog for gun functions. Like someone said upthread, at the item spawner where you select guns, it will show you the instructions for loading and firing that specific weapon.

Beyond that, use the infinite ammo toggle so you can pull infinite clips/mags/shells/bullets from your vest.

ALSO

Take and Hold is incredible fun. But you have to play with the game mode settings to get the most (of what you want) out of it.

My brother only plays Take and Hold with the item spawner on. This let's you choose any weapon you want for use in that mode by giving you an item spawner in your starting room. This removes scoring, but he doesn't care, he always wants to have a silenced USP on his hip no matter what dice-roll gun he gets from the case.

There's also the infinite ammo toggle as well. If you're new to take and hold, play with infinite ammo on your vest. You will find it less stressful as you figure out the ebb and flow of the game.

Also, configure things like gravity and your health.

Playful gravity means everything lighter gravity than earth but not like, insane moon gravity, so mags are easier to snatch if you drop one, enemies will go tumbling through the air with a shotgun blast, and you can do things like.. pull the axe from over your shoulder and kill the SOSIG that rushed you around the corner, see the 4 other armoured SOSIGS rushing from behind him, throw your ace straight up into the air freeing your hand to grab your dual holstered beretta's and light them up before throwing them away like John Woo is directing you before you catch the axe you had thrown into the air moments before, swinging it one fluid motion and decapitating like two sausage dudes.

You can also turn on Arcade mode for the enemy guns, which means they're much slower and have tracers. You can give yourself more health. You can choose what type of loadout you'll be randomly gifted.

There is a ton of depth to take and hold. And I would not disagree that it's very impenetrable when it comes to figuring it all out, especially if you're new to VR

but it's one of the best VR games ever made so :shrug:

I’m not new to VR, H3VR just has a baffling way of doing things and doesn’t explain them, as everyone else has confirmed. This works in a game like elite dangerous, where you are in a spaceship that doesn’t exist in real life and therefore doesn’t have a lot of preconceived rules it has to follow other than “it obeys the laws of physics”. It doesn’t work in a game that simulates real life things like “walking” and “accurately modeling all aspects of gun handling except this one critically important part”. I’ll try again and see if it gets better.

The 30 minute save thing is just bad game design on the part of boneworks, VR or not, but I’ll go back through the opening segment and see if it suits me better once the game gets moving and gives me a gun and things like that. To be fair I had the same frustration with Persona 5 and it’s hour long gaps between saves. I hate feeling like I HAVE to keep playing to save or I’ll lose all this progress and have to rush back thru it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

fwiw I also didn't really see the appeal of Boneworks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got Thumper on Quest (again) just because I wanted some seated games occasionally

I want Rez and Tetris on this thing immediately

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 30 minute save thing is just bad game design on the part of boneworks, VR or not, but I’ll go back through the opening segment and see if it suits me better once the game gets moving and gives me a gun and things like that. To be fair I had the same frustration with Persona 5 and it’s hour long gaps between saves. I hate feeling like I HAVE to keep playing to save or I’ll lose all this progress and have to rush back thru it.

The issue with boneworks is on first play through, it takes a while to get through each section. Thats really the issue. After you've played each one, the games a speed run. People are nearing under an hour at this point or some poo poo. Theres really no middle ground for actual save states. Would be nice for that first play through, bout it.

With that said. I've "Died" and "check pointed" back and its really not a big deal imo. Your weapons drop in the world if you were holding them, and anything on your body stays. The world don't relock itself up, so you just run back to where you were real fast. But saving mid level, and coming back, eh, I seriously don't see the point.

eke out posted:

racket fury is a lot more arcadey, while eleven's more of a simulation and it's doing it very well. it's wild how much muscle memory just immediately translated for me, they've done a fantastic job with the physics and feel of it

Eleven felt like playing table tennis at boys and girls club all over again. The games so god drat good. I wish I wasnt so trash. (Just like IRL)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got Thumper on Quest (again) just because I wanted some seated games occasionally

I want Rez and Tetris on this thing immediately

I want tetris so bad on quest. SO BAD.

I know I can pair stuff, and do it with virtual desktop or something but damnit, give me that native and my quest might actually get real use. O_O

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 28, 2019

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not new to VR, H3VR just has a baffling way of doing things and doesn’t explain them, as everyone else has confirmed. This works in a game like elite dangerous, where you are in a spaceship that doesn’t exist in real life and therefore doesn’t have a lot of preconceived rules it has to follow other than “it obeys the laws of physics”. It doesn’t work in a game that simulates real life things like “walking” and “accurately modeling all aspects of gun handling except this one critically important part”. I’ll try again and see if it gets better.

Just wait a few weeks, Boneworks is being updated with significantly more frequent checkpoints in January.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Eleven felt like playing table tennis at boys and girls club all over again. The games so god drat good. I wish I wasnt so trash. (Just like IRL)

yeah i joined the discord and i saw more than one person talking about how they're like serious, competitive amateur players and the game was a useful way to practice at home. this is also why i'm terrified of the online multiplayer

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

eke out posted:

yeah i joined the discord and i saw more than one person talking about how they're like serious, competitive amateur players and the game was a useful way to practice at home. this is also why i'm terrified of the online multiplayer

It blew my mind tbh. When I first played it, I was all "oh, this is just like me playing IRL, im really this bad, holy poo poo, why can't this be like a video game, ahhhhh". Its one of those games I just can't tell someone how "REAL" it feels or w/e. You throw someone in it though, holy poo poo.

I should get back into it. Its sickeningly good.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's kind of a cliche to say, but the game truly is early access. There's a ton of content, but none of the polish you'd expect from typical full complete games like mandatory tutorial intros and stuff. How the guns "function" (as in, their real life counterparts) is explained ingame as people have mentioned, but how the basic controls work aren't explained anywhere at all ingame as far as I remember. I had the same experience as you when I started, I got pretty frustrated at not knowing how the basic controls even worked. I had to research for about 20 minutes how to do stuff (toggling infinite ammo on things that are attached to your inventory was huge, and then learning basic functions like removing/adjust scopes, dropping mags, etc), jumped back in and started having a lot more fun. I have a passing interest in guns, so it's not like you have to be a hardcore gun nut to enjoy the game. It's just real satisfying playing take and hold, having to physically duck under cover while you fumble around like an idiot trying to reload your weapon, then immediately whiffing all your shots when you magdump wildly downrange because aiming guns is hard apparently if you've never done it before.

Take a break from it, take some time to read about basic controls because I wouldn't say their control scheme is typical in any way to other VR or gamepad controls, and come back with an open mind. It's worth it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Someone help me solve this Beat Saber issue.
So I was playing Beat Saber with fpsVR on and noticed that the game was randomly lagging for no loving reason and I'm not sure how to solve it.
Like, the fpsVR would tell me that I'm at 45fps but CPU usage is at 17% and GPU usage is at 30% then I can restart the exact same track and suddenly it would be a smooth 90.
Is the game just lovely programmed and there's no fix for that or what?

Update on the issue.
Nothing seems to have worked to solve that issue except one strange "workaround" of sorts.
I have pinned the fpsVR window to the HDM, so that it's always visible, played for almost an hours, and not once did the game go down under 90 fps for more than a second or two. Then I put the fpsVR back to be below my wrist again and the very next track was capped at 45 fps until I restarted it, again.

EDIT: How do I turn off the reprojection completely in SteamVR? I want to see what the actual fps is during the times when reprojection caps it to 45. I found a way to do that for Oculus games (which improved my experience with Stormland significantly) but can't find a similar option for SteamVR.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 28, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

Update on the issue.
Nothing seems to have worked to solve that issue except one strange "workaround" of sorts.
I have pinned the fpsVR window to the HDM, so that it's always visible, played for almost an hours, and not once did the game go down under 90 fps for more than a second or two. Then I put the fpsVR back to be below my wrist again and the very next track was capped at 45 fps until I restarted it, again.

EDIT: How do I turn off the reprojection completely in SteamVR? I want to see what the actual fps is during the times when reprojection caps it to 45. I found a way to do that for Oculus games (which improved my experience with Stormland significantly) but can't find a similar option for SteamVR.

If you figure out whats causing the random frame dumps, The entire community will thank you.

Because, None of us can figure out what actually is causing the FPS in the engine to go to poo poo. Theres theories, and stuff "works" for some people, but not others. Some stay its streamcore, some say its chat, some say its browser thing, some say its all garbage collection issues.

1600 hours, and its basically always done it to some extent. My "Best" right now setup is minimal mods, and running trash man on a fresh install. Eventually it'll go to poo poo, and i'll reinstall and it will be "ok" again for a while.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

If you figure out whats causing the random frame dumps, The entire community will thank you.

Because, None of us can figure out what actually is causing the FPS in the engine to go to poo poo. Theres theories, and stuff "works" for some people, but not others.

1600 hours, and its basically always done it to some extent.

Oh, I see. So it's that bad huh?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

Oh, I see. So it's that bad huh?

Yes and no.

I have a 9900k @ 5.2, a 2080ti with a pretty heavy OC as well.

While playing, At MAX i'm running 50%-60% cpu/gpu usage. Keep in mind, this is with OBS outputting, LIV running, all kinds of poo poo.

During these frame spikes/stutters, I have no spike in usage, at all. Its like, the engine itself just can't keep up or some poo poo. Its kinda wild, Because a fresh install, tends to be fine for a while then after time the install just goes to poo poo. You'd think its maybe just the song library getting large, but a clear of that don't solve anything at all.

Now, If I install ZERO mods, its fine. So. Something in the mod library somewhere is def the culprit, but who the gently caress knows what.

Id actually point my finger at that ipa thing. If I had to.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

eke out posted:

Yeah, I've read something about ELO and all that, so they have serious ladders and all that. Me, I only played table tennis a few times in all my life, and it was... 20 years ago. Still, I liked a lot what I played yesterday. I was super bad at it, just like in real life, but it made want to play more to improve instead of switching to another game, which is the hardest thing a game can do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Penpal posted:

The midlevel saves thing isn't as big of a deal as some mention.

It really is though? This seems weird.

They need to add saves, its a real problem. I consistently find myself wanting to take a break like 80% through a level, but I make myself power through so I don't have to start over.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I hate feeling like I HAVE to keep playing to save or I’ll lose all this progress and have to rush back thru it.

Yeah its just not great

EbolaIvory posted:

After you've played each one, the games a speed run.

That mitigates it, but doesn't mean it isn't an issue and shouldn't be used to dismiss people who have legit complaints about it.

"Just play through it again, you'll be faster" isn't a great solution. It is certainly workable, but its not great and its reasonable to want saves.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They should have more saves available. If you personally don’t want to use them because you’re speedrunning or whatever that’s fine, don’t use them

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They should have more saves available. If you personally don’t want to use them because you’re speedrunning or whatever that’s fine, don’t use them

I'm honestly curious where they are going to stick them. Some sections really are short, but you end up just dicking around or trying to find a thing for 30 min. Theres nothing in some of those places to actually "save" but you still spend an hour + on the section.

I don't disagree "an extra save" here and there is a great idea. But like, Look at some of the levels, what are you actually saving? Some are literally 2 quick puzzles that felt long af because it was new, not because the level actually was long.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/discussions/0/3963662189543240419/

quote:

Those who followed the development of the game may remember that we were very hesitant to make a statement about its length. To much disbelief, we often stated that we didn't know how long it was. We weren't lying; internally, we thought that the game was about 4 hours long. In reality it seems to be 8-12 hours for first-timers. We thought Streets was about 30 minutes; it's clearly 70-90 minutes on your first run. Most of the secrets and collectibles were propagated to the levels in the past few weeks, ballooning playtime dramatically from when play-testers weren't looting and exploring as much. We felt that 30 minutes in between saves at most was reasonable; 90 minutes certainly isn't.

The devs agree they misjudged the time and there's an unreasonable amount of time between saves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm honestly curious where they are going to stick them. Some sections really are short, but you end up just dicking around or trying to find a thing for 30 min. Theres nothing in some of those places to actually "save" but you still spend an hour + on the section.

I don't disagree "an extra save" here and there is a great idea. But like, Look at some of the levels, what are you actually saving? Some are literally 2 quick puzzles that felt long af because it was new, not because the level actually was long.

IDK I'm not very far in but there's been hallways and doorways that you could easily slap a checkpoint on?

Literally as simple as "if player gets past this line spawn them here instead" would be so easy and make a huge difference.

Good example: The zero-G room at the end of the tutorial. I got to that and was tired enough from doing all the jungle gym climbing stuff (and falling and having to do it 3 times) that I just powered through to the end of the level to make sure to get credit.

Now if I wanna go play in the zero-G room, I have to go through the entire museum with all the little exhibits and also climb through that jungle gym again, which by design forces you to do it at least 2 times.

Just to get back to that one zero-G room.

Why can't I just spawn from a checkpoint right at the zero-G room door? That'd be simple and would save a huge headache.

Also things like the shooting range and zero-G room should have checkpoints so you can quickly spawn into them and show them to a friend, let them dick around with swords or guns or something. As-is right now, if you wanted to show someone the simple melee weapons demo room, you'd have to tell them "hold on a minute" and quickly rush through the museum up to that point. Why?

The levels have funky layouts, for sure, but there's still moments between battles and things where you could put a checkpoint pretty easy.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I just opened Boneworks for the first time in a month and it seems to have no saves at all except for the lobby, which was a bit of a worry since I got to the 3rd level or something.

I was testing it with ALVR on the quest, but it didn't great because the hand placement was completely wrong,as if the hands positions were the virtual forearms.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Isometric Bacon posted:

I just opened Boneworks for the first time in a month and it seems to have no saves at all except for the lobby, which was a bit of a worry since I got to the 3rd level or something.

I was testing it with ALVR on the quest, but it didn't great because the hand placement was completely wrong,as if the hands positions were the virtual forearms.

You can warp to the start of any level you've been to using the hand menu thing

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I picked up Red Matter in the Quest store sale and it's been pretty neat so far. Edit: Just finished it. It's a little short but I really dug it.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8one6 posted:

I picked up Red Matter in the Quest store sale and it's been pretty neat so far. Edit: Just finished it. It's a little short but I really dug it.

In the adventure/puzzle genre I dug Shadow Point, and it's longer than Red Matter. It's much more puzzle centric, although there is still a plot as backdrop.