Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cumshitter posted:

I do the same thing with conspiracy theorists but I just argue on behalf of the conspiracy.

"Well if the Jews are smart enough to run the world maybe we should listen to them. They're clearly better than us. I bet they have a lot of interesting things to say."

If someone brings up the Clintons alleged body count, lean into it like Hillary is the world's greatest assassin. Putin acting up in Eastern Europe again ? President Hillary takes a weekend at "Camp David" and then we get to find out who Putin named as his successor. Pro-democracy protests in China brutally suppressed ? Sudden vacancies on the Central Committee. It'd be great !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

teen witch posted:

24 Hour Poly People

E: even as someone who has been in poly relationships, 99% of poly people you don’t want to be with.

(I'm stuck at the airport for 7 hours, so gently caress it have my babble)

I wouldn't put it at 99% but the most significant digit is absolutely correct. Anyone who doesn't need a ton of therapy is not likely to be attractive on top of the crowd being overwhelmingly bitter nerds. So much so that ...ignoring how this situation came to be...at one point one of the monthly public gatherings was happening at my house last minute for some reason. A raver type roommate we had at the time was all perked up having a bunch of what he thought was a bunch of sex & love happy people coming over that would be fun to talk to. I laughed and told him "no no no, this is going to be a bunch of nerds talking about nerd poo poo and occasionally sex but have no actual interest in loving." I didn't want to be around these people so I was elsewhere the entire time, but he confirmed I was 100% correct about what happened.

Seriously. You will never meet a person more interested in talking about sex than a poly person but actually having sex is harder with them than a random hookup in any random situation. This crowd will go on and on how sex positive they are but least with the American crowd there is still a massive amount of slut shamming going on. Actually I'd go as far to say that is the #1 difference between Poly & Swinging. Swinging folks are here to gently caress, Poly is here to date(when it's convenient for them).

I get having a high sex drive. I get wanting to love on everyone. I don't get this disconnect from reality where Time & Distance are very real things with limits that don't give a poo poo about your dumb human emotions and relationship structures. The real stupidity to me is going off on your own path but doing your damnedest to make it look the same as the other way by trying to maintain typical 2 person sharing a home looking relationship. If you're going to be weird loving just do it. Frankly I don't feel they're even good at it. I've meet way more people who were happy to be with me for a time and were more chill about me doing my own thing that if prompted would say they're monogamous. Frequently they'd be rebounding, needing some companionship but not ready to get back into a full relationship. They have their fun for a while until they want to go seek someone out or develop a crush. I've always tried my best to encourage them to go do what's best for them and I am still good friends with a lot of them well after they've gotten married & had kids or whatever.

I guess in the end the hypocrisy that everyone's picked up on is absolutely there and worse than you can imagine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Killary Clinton was on the grassy knoll

Wolfenstein 3d is actually a retelling of Hillary Clinton's experiences during World War 2

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

cumshitter posted:

I do the same thing with conspiracy theorists but I just argue on behalf of the conspiracy.

"Well if the Jews are smart enough to run the world maybe we should listen to them. They're clearly better than us. I bet they have a lot of interesting things to say."

I think Imperial Japan did this in real life, they were pretty pro-semitic but loved the protocols of the elders of zion.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for taking my daughter's christmas present away after she destroyed her sister's present?

My husband and I have two daughters, Isabel (13) and Rosie (9). We had a small Christmas dinner but my husband's parents popped in and brought presents for the girls.

Odd as it sounds Rosie has always been fascinated by clocks and time and things like that. Strange but we've always encouraged her interests. Her grandparents got her the most wonderful present. A miniature grandfather clock. Very authentic but small enough to fit on her table in her room. Isabel got a lovely gift too, a bracelet which she's had her eye on for months but unfortunately wasn't anywhere near our price range.

I had to run some errands today and took the girls to help. We went to McDs for lunch, but as I was in a rush I ordered some food and asked them to share it among themselves in the car.

They ended up arguing over the food and shouting at each other in the car and didn't speak to each other at all after that. When I got them home I was downstairs cuddling with my husband when I heard them having a screaming match in Rosie's room, just shouting insults at each other. We ran in and demanded Isabel leave and calm down, and she did, but not before giving Rosie a nasty look and slapping the clock off the table where it fell and smashed.

Rosie was devastated and in tears. Isabel showed no remorse at all. I don't understand. They argue a lot but it rarely ever gets this spiteful and cruel.

I said that I was going to withhold Isabel's pocket money and save it to buy Rosie a new clock. I also decided to take Isabel's bracelet and store it until a new clock is bought. If she destroyed her sister's present then I don't think she deserves to have hers until it is replaced. This made Isabel cry and say I was being unfair, since she wanted to show the bracelet off to her friends when she went back to school.

My husband supports me taking her pocket money, but thinks I was wrong to take the bracelet since it was too harsh and she'd wanted that bracelet for ages. I don't agree. If she can take her sister's present away, then having her own taken away is a fair punishment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Help being an actual decent loving parent means my kid might not like me and whatever vestigial neural damage that fucks up the Baby Boomers is threatening to subsume me, please validate me being a hardass and teaching my child that they can't be a sociopath without consequences."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

if the goebbels looking guy changed his hair it would probably be a lot less noticeable of a resemblance. he just needs to shave it or grow it out or have it cut differently or something

I know a guy who looks like hitler. He refuses to acknowledge it, but when you have that face you really, really need to make your hair different at least, or every time you get pissed an start ranting about something it looks like outtakes from Triumph of the Will.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

LethalGeek posted:

slut shamming

Mods please. I am ready to abandon my identity. Make me slut shamming.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Motronic posted:

Pete's cousin:

I(M36) have told my SO(F37) that I will end the relationship if she goes on vacation with her ex Relationships
submitted 1 day ago * by barnaby9999

Pete wouldn't have let that happen 2 times already. Spineless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
AITA for forbidding my ex husband to leave our 4 year old daughter with his much younger (!!!) gf?

quote:

Sorry for spelling mistakes. I am quite livid and English is my third language.

I split with my ex 3 years ago because of unrelated reasons. We co-parent just fine. One year ago he started dating this student of his university he is a professor of. For reference he is 35 she is 22. They are not from the same faculty.

Apparently it is something serious between them. I have heard from some mutals that he is thinking of proposing to this girl. Whatever his life and all. But where I draw the line is with my daughter.

Yesterday I had to pick her up from her dad's to take her for my weekend. When I pulled up I noticed that his car wasn't there and when I got out of my car I heard VERY loud Latino music blasting from the house. Obviously I freaked and run to the house where the girl opened the door. She was only wearing an XXL shirt and some skimpy leggins and was splattered with paint. I asked where my ex was and she told me had to go to work and left her with my daughter. I was LIVID. This girl is not old enough or responsible enough to be a step mom.

I called for my daughter and she came out only wearing her shirt and undies. Highly loving inappropriate arround a virtual stranger. She had paint all over her and even in her hair!! I told her that we would have a serious talk (to my ex's gf) and left. After that I talked to my ex and told him he was not to leave our daughter with a virtual stranger and that it was inappropriate how she had her running arround half naked. He accused me of being jealous of this girl and that my daughter knows her well enough. That they were only playing with paint(which took forever to wash out) and that our daughter loves this girl.

After talking about this with some friends they gave me the reason but I met my ex SIL and she told me I was out of line. In her opinion this girl is very nice and mature. I smell bs. AITA?

OP manages to take a situation where a college professor is banging a student and still is definitely the rear end in a top hat for her behavior.

The commenters are shelling her pretty hard, it seems like she cheated on him? Not entirely clear but has spent the last 3 years unemployed and not taking care of the child and is now expecting to get full custody or something. From the comments she only gets weekends and the dad has primary custody so go figure how that shook out.

Might be a fake, OP throws up "It's extremely inappropriate for my child to be half naked around adults" and when pushed on it claims "Oh so it would be fine for my daugther to be half naked and alone with a new stepfather?" and calls the person sexist for saying there's a difference.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 28, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

It actually tracks very closely to the canonical Pete story. Part of Pete's enduring legacy is that he wasn't especially jealous and was willing to allow the trip until he found out how extensive the history was. True, it took this guy longer to examine the details but then it is not given to every man to be a Pete.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bell jar posted:

He clarifies in one of the comments, that he thought it was a really old relationship, like been apart for a long time. He only recently learned that they were still having sex only a few months before OP and her got together. So not only were they hooking up more recently then thought, she kinda lied by omission

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my bf that I won’t raise our kids as Catholic following an argument about our sex life?

For context, he (26m) is a non-practicing Catholic and I (23f) am a non-practicing Muslim. We’ve been together for nearly two years. For me personally, it’ll always remain a part of my identity and I respect how important it is for my family, but I’m very much “meh” with the whole concept of religion. We have discussed religion difference in the past and he said he’s not a particularly religious person and would prefer to just raise our kids with good morals / as nice humans. I’m on the same page.

Yesterday we had an argument about our sex life. I am unsatisfied due to various reasons (mostly him not lasting longer than a few minutes for over 5 months now) and it’s really bothering me. I’ve tried to ask him if there are any issues with us, sex in general for him or at least try to make suggestions. In person when I’ve spoken about this, he seems to act understanding, but our intimate life has remained the same. So, I raised this over message which was definitely stupid of me I know. I told him that I feel like I am making most of the effort sexually and he blew off. His response to that message was- “you have a chip on your shoulder clearly, also I want to raise my kids as Catholic. So either accept it or we are finished.”

Well I said no. Not because I want them to be Muslim, but I just felt the way he said it was so demanding, unrelated to our previous argument and so out of the blue. He’s never mentioned anything like this before. In all honesty I wouldn’t mind if he wanted to teach them about his religion and include them in religious rites. Like I said I’m not religious myself so I wouldn’t be a hypocrite and deny them one religion over another. They can be whatever they want tbh, I’m more concerned raising decent humans rather than focusing on religion.

I told him my reasons for saying no is that he didn’t ask for my input and it just felt very emotionally manipulative of him to make such a demand. We’ve basically been arguing since and he’s told me I hate him and don’t respect his beliefs. I do feel bad now. But he’s never shown me any signs or actions that religion has meant something to him, other than celebrating Christmas.

So Reddit, I’m actually confused. AITA for telling my bf I will not raise our kids as Catholics?

(Edit: just for clarity- prior to this argument we have been fine, relationship has been going well, no major arguments like this in a very good while
Although I should add for those mentioned deflection, that he has shown these tendencies before, right at the start of the relationship.)

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

I actually really like Pete v.2.0 because he's not arguing a lot. Like when people posted that no, he probably doesn't trust her, he's just like "Yeah, I guess you're right.", And basically being reasonable and listening to everyone's takes

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Miserable Maid posted:

I actually really like Pete v.2.0 because he's not arguing a lot. Like when people posted that no, he probably doesn't trust her, he's just like "Yeah, I guess you're right.", And basically being reasonable and listening to everyone's takes

The people who already know the sensible thing and are just using Reddit as a sounding board to basically collect their thoughts are the only ones who will ever make it out of there alive.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A real Pete takes immediate and decisive action. He doesn't issue ultimatums, because he's not giving you a choice. You've been Pete'd

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking my daughter's christmas present away after she destroyed her sister's present?

My husband and I have two daughters, Isabel (13) and Rosie (9). We had a small Christmas dinner but my husband's parents popped in and brought presents for the girls.

Odd as it sounds Rosie has always been fascinated by clocks and time and things like that. Strange but we've always encouraged her interests. Her grandparents got her the most wonderful present. A miniature grandfather clock. Very authentic but small enough to fit on her table in her room. Isabel got a lovely gift too, a bracelet which she's had her eye on for months but unfortunately wasn't anywhere near our price range.

I had to run some errands today and took the girls to help. We went to McDs for lunch, but as I was in a rush I ordered some food and asked them to share it among themselves in the car.

They ended up arguing over the food and shouting at each other in the car and didn't speak to each other at all after that. When I got them home I was downstairs cuddling with my husband when I heard them having a screaming match in Rosie's room, just shouting insults at each other. We ran in and demanded Isabel leave and calm down, and she did, but not before giving Rosie a nasty look and slapping the clock off the table where it fell and smashed.

Rosie was devastated and in tears. Isabel showed no remorse at all. I don't understand. They argue a lot but it rarely ever gets this spiteful and cruel.

I said that I was going to withhold Isabel's pocket money and save it to buy Rosie a new clock. I also decided to take Isabel's bracelet and store it until a new clock is bought. If she destroyed her sister's present then I don't think she deserves to have hers until it is replaced. This made Isabel cry and say I was being unfair, since she wanted to show the bracelet off to her friends when she went back to school.

My husband supports me taking her pocket money, but thinks I was wrong to take the bracelet since it was too harsh and she'd wanted that bracelet for ages. I don't agree. If she can take her sister's present away, then having her own taken away is a fair punishment.
I mean. The bracelet is just being stored, so that's a pretty lenient punishment. I never destroyed my brother's stuff deliberately so I don't know this for sure, but if I had done something like that I'm pretty sure my parents would have sent my gift back to my grandparents.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [29 M] girlfriend since highschool [29F] had been cheating on me with a coworker. Advice on spending time with the 'other guy's' (now) ex-girlfriend?

As per the title, I learned that my girlfriend since I was 15 (yes, we've been in a relationship for basically have our lives) had been cheating on me with a coworker. I'll spare the details, but it was some incredibly slimy behavior on her part (Devious ways of hiding things), and I honestly never thought she would be capable of such a thing (In terms of deception, dishonesty, etc).

Anyways - So we're done, and I've asked her to move out. While I've only had a couple of weeks to process things, but I'm seeing this as kind of a positive thing... I'm a very active/hobby-driven person, and I'm using this time for self-improvement (Exercise every day, eating very well, not drinking, etc). I've also (Yes, hindsight is 20/20) realized that maybe this was a blessing in disguise, and that I'm perhaps better off without her. I'm not sure if this is a common emotion, but after a few days of bawling my eyes out, I actually feel alright about the whole thing.

Anyways, I learned about the affair from the other guy's girlfriend [29F?] (She found my work contact details, and emailed me). She's in a similar boat as me, but she immigrated to my country with her partner and doesn't really have a huge circle of friends, and also doesn't have any family here (Very tough around the holiday season).

Since she told me, I offered to go for a walk with her to get stuff off our chest, get closure, etc. This was a few days after I found out. The conversation was super therapeutic, and it made me feel a WHOLE lot better about the situation (her describing things she disliked about the guy really put some things into perspective about my relationship). We ended up chatting/walking for a few hours, discussing the situation, what we're going to do about living spaces, etc.

My parents are aware of the situation, and even told me to invite her for Xmas dinner, since her family doesn't live here (She ended up buying a SUPER expensive ticket home last minute to spend time with her friends/family).

Anyways - The walk/talk was weirdly pleasant! She seems bright, honest, cool, and is very good looking!

We've been keeping in contact lots via text, and I'm thinking (THIS IS WHERE I NEED ADVICE) that I'd like to see if she wants to hang out again (but not to vent about things).

She had told me that she looked up a music artist I mentioned and really likes it, and I've got concert tickets at the end of January - I casually said something like, "Well, you're welcome to join me if you want!" In general, we've been communicating about stuff that isn't our problem, but is fun stuff. She also said that she'd like to meet again when she's back in the country.

Basically, given the state of us, the way we've met, and the circumstances, is it appropriate to spend time this way with her? Is it a terrible idea??? I'm sure she's been hurting as much as I have, and I don't want this to be a predatory thing from my end (I've heard of this "rebound" state in people).

As another FYI - I'm a pretty level headed guy, and she seems so too.

TL;DR:

Should I hang out (Both as friends, or potentially as a date) with the ex-girlfriend of the guy who my (now ex) girlfriend was sleeping with? Are there risks to this???

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

A real Pete takes immediate and decisive action. He doesn't issue ultimatums, because he's not giving you a choice. You've been Pete'd

This. This other dude is not a Pete at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

AITA for forbidding my ex husband to leave our 4 year old daughter with his much younger (!!!) gf?

OP manages to take a situation where a college professor is banging a student and still is definitely the rear end in a top hat for her behavior.

The commenters are shelling her pretty hard, it seems like she cheated on him? Not entirely clear but has spent the last 3 years unemployed and not taking care of the child and is now expecting to get full custody or something. From the comments she only gets weekends and the dad has primary custody so go figure how that shook out.

Might be a fake, OP throws up "It's extremely inappropriate for my child to be half naked around adults" and when pushed on it claims "Oh so it would be fine for my daugther to be half naked and alone with a new stepfather?" and calls the person sexist for saying there's a difference.

Setting aside the creep-factor of the dude (yikes), I don't think it's irresponsible to let a 22 year-old babysit a 4 year-old, especially one who has been around long enough for the kid's father to consider proposing, and she actually sounds pretty rad what with basically setting up a whole painting project for a 4 year-old instead of sitting her in front of the TV. OP is acting way out of line here

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TL;DR:

Should I hang out (Both as friends, or potentially as a date) with the ex-girlfriend of the guy who my (now ex) girlfriend was sleeping with? Are there risks to this???

Lol, classic rebound sex scenario... hmm guess I should take it slow and see if this is a good foundation for a relationship.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not letting my wife start a restaurant?

My wife and I have been married for 10 years now, and we are both 35. My parents both passed young, and left me their inheritance. This has meant that neither my wife or I has had to work for ~6 years now. With proper investing and spending habits we can go until the ends of our lives like this.

My wife seems to feel... a bit unfulfilled. Needing something to do. I started painting and coding my own video game in my spare time, but she seems to want something else. She wants to start a business. Now in general I don’t mind her starting a business. But she wants to start a restaurant.

Now restaurants are high cost, high risk, low margin businesses, that require tons of work to make profitable. Not something ideal for our situation. When she first brought up the idea I shot it down, and said maybe something different. A hair salon or something (just a random idea). Or an online jewelry store.

She has her heart set on a restaurant. I said no when she brought it up again, and she accused me of stifling her. I basically said when she can come up with the money to start it and run it completely on her own without using money from our planned savings she can do it.

She called me insensitive. Was it insensitive?

Edit: she has never worked in a restaurant, but does love to cook and is very good at it, for all those asking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My wife and I have been married for 10 years now, and we are both 35. My parents both passed young, and left me their inheritance. This has meant that neither my wife or I has had to work for ~6 years now. With proper investing and spending habits we can go until the ends of our lives like this.

My wife seems to feel... a bit unfulfilled. Needing something to do. I started painting and coding my own video game in my spare time, but she seems to want something else. She wants to start a business. Now in general I don’t mind her starting a business. But she wants to start a restaurant.

Now restaurants are high cost, high risk, low margin businesses, that require tons of work to make profitable. Not something ideal for our situation. When she first brought up the idea I shot it down, and said maybe something different. A hair salon or something (just a random idea). Or an online jewelry store.

She has her heart set on a restaurant. I said no when she brought it up again, and she accused me of stifling her. I basically said when she can come up with the money to start it and run it completely on her own without using money from our planned savings she can do it.

Edit: she has never worked in a restaurant, but does love to cook and is very good at it, for all those asking.

You know how to make a small fortune in the restaurant business?

Start with a large fortune.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That restaurant and their relationship will be gone in 6 months.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Inceltown posted:

That restaurant and their relationship will be gone in 6 months.

along with all that inheritance money

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

quote:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She needs to start small, and move up slowly, conquering her rivals one by one. Someone get on Reddit and advise the guy to have her start out with a hotdog stand in a small town.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This. This other dude is not a Pete at all.

Let us settle this matter by turning to the gospels of Pete (PBUH)

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.

quote:

My good friend, who we'll call Dave, was my boyfriend from the age of 18 to 21, after which we broke up because we wanted different things in life. We stayed good friends though because we had a great friendship and had been through so much together. He lives in a different country at the moment but we still talk semi-regularly online and in Whatsapp. Pete knew that Dave was a friend of mine but didn't know he was an ex until about 2 weeks ago, when Dave asked me to visit him in Amsterdam while he's on a work trip (I live in the UK, he lives in Italy). I had already agreed and booked a ticket before I told Pete - they were on sale for a ridiculously low price on the dates that he would be there, so I jumped at the opportunity.

Pete seemed cool with it at first but after a few days asked me if there was any history between us. I was honest and told him there was. He didn't seem too bothered and eventually asked if I thought visiting an ex in another country was appropriate whilst in a relationship. I explained to him how Dave and my relationship wasn't like that and that we were strictly platonic. He didn't seem to really react, he just gave me a look that was...sarcastic, I suppose, would be the best way to describe it. I then told him that I wouldn't be controlled and hated men that thought they owned me and could tell me what to do. I told him I was free to see who I wanted and that I found his lack of trust in me upsetting, disrespectful and, perhaps, a sign of future abusiveness. I now realise that this may have been a bad thing to say. Again, he didn't really react so I thought that was the end of it.

Then, last night, he came around to my flat and broke up with me!

I asked him why and tried to get him to explain himself and he told me that my going away was to see "another man" a deal-breaker, that he'd been in this type of situation before and wasn't going to go through it again. I asked him if this was an ultimatum - I hate ultimatums, they are tools of abusers - and he said "No, its not an ultimatum. I've decided to break up with you. I have not presented you with any options. I just came to say goodbye."

To make matters worse, I told Dave about what happened and he replied "Oh well, guess that means we can have even more fun then! ;o)" He didn't care about my relationship and my pain - he just wanted a hookup buddy and someone to get stoned with whilst he was in Amsterdam.

Pete was fine with his girlfriend taking a trip with a male friend until he learned that they had very recent history. He didn't break up with her on the spot, he expressed his feelings on the matter without outright issuing an ultimatum. He let her say her peace (as well as a bunch of disrespectful poo poo along the lines of "I'm going, you can't control me"), and then he didn't even break up with her until later.

This other dude was fine with his girlfriend taking a trip with a male friend until he learned that they had very recent history. He didn't break up with her on the spot, he expressed his feelings on the matter without outright issuing an ultimatum. We don't know how she has responded, and he has said that he's planning to break up with her if she decides to go anyway.

It's like... exactly the Pete story but from Pete's perspective and taking place a few days before the breakup

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I know a hotdog stand she could invest in. To late to spend her gift money on though.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Also, the food is delivered to your car by dogs wearing rollerskates.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You know what the right move here is? Get a spot at a local weekend farmer's market (or equivalent weekend street fair sort of ordeal) for a month or three and see how it goes. It's super low risk, and then maybe it'll turn out that this is her passion and that she's great at it, maybe it'll turn out that she doesn't like even a mild taste of the service industry. Then work up from there.

Jumping straight into starting a restaurant with no experience in that industry seems like a really bad idea

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Here’s a great article about how lovely it is to run a restaurant:

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

When the url includes the phrase “ruined life” you know it’s a fun one. But that guy learned too late there’s more to running a restaurant than being a good cook.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Let us settle this matter by turning to the gospels of Pete (PBUH)

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.

Pete was fine with his girlfriend taking a trip with a male friend until he learned that they had very recent history. He didn't break up with her on the spot, he expressed his feelings on the matter without outright issuing an ultimatum. He let her say her peace (as well as a bunch of disrespectful poo poo along the lines of "I'm going, you can't control me"), and then he didn't even break up with her until later.

This other dude was fine with his girlfriend taking a trip with a male friend until he learned that they had very recent history. He didn't break up with her on the spot, he expressed his feelings on the matter without outright issuing an ultimatum. We don't know how she has responded, and he has said that he's planning to break up with her if she decides to go anyway.

It's like... exactly the Pete story but from Pete's perspective and taking place a few days before the breakup

Exactly. I think people are just remembering Pete differently. That's part of what made Pete such a good patron saint of the r/ thread, the fact that he was very reasonable and willing to work through it, but also was steadfast in good boundaries

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You know how to make a small fortune in the restaurant business?

Start with a large fortune.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Highlights

quote:

I could envision him swaggering around his Hampshire restaurant, the Yew Tree Inn, dropping exquisite plates of food in front of wealthy customers with all the bombast of a star footballer. As he got older and no longer cooked in the kitchen, he was known to hang about the bar and drink cider with customers, at times with a .22 rifle close by in case he had the sudden urge to go rabbit hunting. To me, Marco Pierre White was inspirational. I wanted to be him. And I wanted my own Yew Tree.

To qualify for a liquor licence, I needed at least three months of experience in the industry. So I arranged to work in Jameson’s restaurant over the summer of 2013. My shifts consisted of a few leisurely hours chopping veg and prepping salad dressings. His chef, a hotshot Grand Electric alumnus, was probably not happy to have a home cook screwing around in his kitchen, but he tolerated my presence and was pretty good about the whole thing.

The next step was to find a space. I scoured listings and realized that my $60,000 could barely cover the cost of a chip truck. I contacted the banks to apply for a business loan, but I didn’t qualify. I looked into a few angel investor groups, but it turned out that they didn’t “do” restaurants. I even considered Dragons’ Den. As it turns out, no one invests in first-time restaurateurs, no matter how mind-blowing they think their cooking is.

Jameson had mentioned that I should incorporate my business, which would protect me personally from such liabilities, so I doled out $3,000 to hire a lawyer to oversee my incorporation. He later told me that I could have done it myself online for a couple hundred bucks.

Each step cost money. We had started with $60,000; after six weeks, we were down to $3,000, and there was still so much to do.

The stress was getting to me. I looked haggard, with a grizzly beard and dark circles under my eyes. I had lost 20 pounds. I rarely smiled. Since the beer kegs could be bought on credit, I drank lustily from them. I found myself pouring my first at 11 a.m. and continuing steadily throughout the day.

Between my pension money and cash that people had lent me, I was $80,000 deep, with no profit in sight: for every dollar I made, I was spending three. I didn’t take an official paycheque, and when I worked the floor, I didn’t take a dime in tips. I figured as an owner, I wasn’t supposed to. At the end of our second month, I couldn’t make payroll.

I looked into my remaining pension of $70,000 and learned that I could unlock some of it due to “financial hardship.” I just needed a lawyer’s notarization. So, I cashed out the annual max of $25,000, which, after tax penalties, came to $18,000. I caught up on payroll and made my mortgage payment. I wrote Jameson his first rent cheque. But within six weeks, I had burned through all $18,000. What I didn’t realize was that I was charging too little—we were producing exquisite, labour-intensive meals and selling them at Swiss Chalet prices. I clearly didn’t have a head for business.

I had one last option. It was 2014, and the Toronto real estate market was hot. We could sell our small Upper Beach semi, which we had bought in 2006, use some of the money for the Beech Tree and bank the rest for a down payment on a new house when business picked up. My kids cried when I told them we had to leave our home. Dorothy cried too, but she wanted the bill collectors off our backs as much as I did. That March, we sold our house for $490,000, of which roughly $100,000 was equity.

With a successful summer behind us, I decided to close the Beech Tree for the last week of August to give everyone a vacation, and to spend time with my neglected wife and kids. In those seven days that we were closed, supplier cheques continued to clear and salaried staff continued to get paid, but nothing came in to replace that money. It was a novice mistake. I didn’t have the savings to warrant closing. Cutting off cash flow devastated our account within a week. To make matters worse, a $4,000 utility bill was waiting for me when I got back, our air conditioner the culprit. How was I to know that the dining room AC unit that came with the building pumped thousands of litres of municipal water through its pipes?

It is the toughest of industries—hard work, excruciating hours and meagre pay—and I don’t think most diners have an inkling of how much sacrifice goes into a decent plate of food. No wonder Marco Pierre White always seemed so angry. In the end, I got my Yew Tree—but it was just too slippery to hold onto. I’m sharing my story as a cautionary tale to other amateurs who have big ideas: don’t even think about it. Stick to your dinner parties. You’ll be better off.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the best part of the story is this quote:

I explained to him how Dave and my relationship wasn't like that and that we were strictly platonic. He didn't seem to really react, he just gave me a look that was...sarcastic, I suppose, would be the best way to describe it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Maybe she should try something lower overhead like a food truck? Cut her teeth on it and see if she really wants it, but less overhead and less of a money sink.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Maybe she should try something lower overhead like a food truck in the summer?

Food trucks are still not great financially. I was trying to start one in a college town and I was looking at 50k upfront.

Plus every cook I talked to wanted to do their own spin on some kind of higher end thing and didnt want to go with my plan of “selling grease to drunk college kids”

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Pete's also improved by not being his own story. That's why they didn't let Jesus write the gospels.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

You know what the right move here is? Get a spot at a local weekend farmer's market (or equivalent weekend street fair sort of ordeal) for a month or three and see how it goes. It's super low risk, and then maybe it'll turn out that this is her passion and that she's great at it, maybe it'll turn out that she doesn't like even a mild taste of the service industry. Then work up from there.

Jumping straight into starting a restaurant with no experience in that industry seems like a really bad idea
YEAH, this is what I was trying to say. Start low risk, if she loves that move up to something more like a food truck, etc.

LMAO that his suggestions were hair salon or jewelry store, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PetraCore posted:

Maybe she should try something lower overhead like a food truck? Cut her teeth on it and see if she really wants it, but less overhead and less of a money sink.
All the lovely parts of the restaurant business without the glamour of telling your friends to check out your swanky pretty restaurant is the opposite of what she (and most budding restaurateurs) want. They don't want a place to have people eat their cooking, they want to be able to say "I'm the owner of that cool place you've heard about."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Online jewelry store though. I don't imagine Etsy people have that much upkeep ifykim