Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

value-brand cereal posted:

Cross quoting this post. It's the library mentioned a page back, you know, the 24 million one?

I have a phobia of see-through floors and I would not be able to use this library. Ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a phobia of see-through floors and I would not be able to use this library. Ridiculous.

A person using a cane wouldn't be able to use it either. I don't know how these things are done, but it seems odd that either there wsn't any design review, or that there was but nobody thought about the space being used by actual people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those stairs were inspired by an office umbrella stand.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
library owns

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The inaccessible upskirt library is dumb poo poo and the architect equivalent of a teenaged artist going "it's not poo poo, it's just my style, maaaaan."

It's cool to look at, of course, but it shouldn't have left the realm of form-over-function solutions like movies and video games.

mutata fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 28, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Nothing impresses donors like making the news over dumb poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That library is impressively ugly.

I say “impressive” because there are a lot of libraries out there and most of them aren’t ugly at all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TofuDiva posted:

I don't know how these things are done, but it seems odd that either there wsn't any design review, or that there was but nobody thought about the space being used by actual people.
So you would think. In my library I'm on the committee that's currently reviewing designs for a new reception area and we've basically had to physically threaten the architects to keep them from placing shelves between the entrance and reception desk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Love to sit on the bottom floor of a library reading a book while sand and dirt and literal poo poo rains down on me from above, it's very soothing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mutata posted:

The inaccessible upskirt library is dumb poo poo and the architect equivalent of a teenaged artist going "it's not poo poo, it's just my style, maaaaan."

It's cool to look at, of course, but it shouldn't have left the realm of form-over-function solutions like movies and video games.

I'm curious how the gently caress that got built. Someone, at some point, had to look at it and go 'Okay, the ADA accommodation cost is going to murder us...'.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

there wolf posted:

Is there some kind of regulation that requires you to use a plumber, because swapping a sink is pretty easy to DIY.
As is typical around here, the apartment is in co-op, so the housing co-op is responsible for structures, electrics, the bathroom, plumbing, HVAC etc.

Any changes to these systems have to go through the house board. The building manager requires that anyone doing anything to these systems has liability insurance as a matter of course.

The other reason is that our apartment doesn't have its own water mains shutoff valve. Thus I'd have to:
  • Get permission
  • Find a plumber
  • Cut off water for three other apartments
Coordinating all of this is a hassle I'd like to avoid.

there wolf posted:

Also get some baskets to set on that shelf in front of the mirror so you have somewhere to put what you aren't going to keep in a drawer.
You mean the window sill? I dream of keeping it clear of stuff.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That looks like one hell of a crazy bidet on the right there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There are no shut offs to the hot/cold water lines directly under that sink...??

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sounds like this bathroom is for you!

(Trigger warning, see-though floor)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Sirotan posted:

There are no shut offs to the hot/cold water lines directly under that sink...??

On closer inspection there are, I just mistook them for simple fittings. Swapping the sink might not be out of the question after all. It would solve another issue by allowing me to chose a sink drain pipe with a connector for the washer drain hose.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm curious how the gently caress that got built. Someone, at some point, had to look at it and go 'Okay, the ADA accommodation cost is going to murder us...'.

Someone may have posted this already (apologies if it was and I missed it), but it turns out that not only is it nonfunctional design, it's an art and architecture library. Which either makes it inevitable or particularly egregious. Or both.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s, like, an accreditation requirement that the architects’ hall has to be the biggest turd on campus.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

value-brand cereal posted:

Cross quoting this post. It's the library mentioned a page back, you know, the 24 million one?
So they built an entire library that is 100% not wheelchair or mobility device accessible on a university campus?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Like, I could definitely see some sort of long-term storage area having weird stuff to ventilate the books ideally, but the difference between that and the main library in function is huge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The suggestion that the floor grating is necessary to ventilate the books is preposterous.

It’s like the architects read books from the nineteenth century and decided to build a sanatorium crossed with a panopticon.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PetraCore posted:

So they built an entire library that is 100% not wheelchair or mobility device accessible on a university campus?

Are there not lifts (elevators) for wheel bound folks?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Architect: I want people to feel like they're inside a book. It's like poetry, it rhymes.
Also architect: This book is full of upskirts.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

wooger posted:

Probably a pully system where you pull yourselves up with your bootstraps

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That grating allows for plenty of air flow between the vertical layers of flammable material...
:piss:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

deoju posted:

That grating allows for plenty of air flow between the vertical layers of flammable material...
To be fair the intent is probably to keep it all nice and dry and non-mouldering.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wooger posted:

whoa now, there's no room for logic in this thread, we're busy roasting the six pictures we got and making the wild assumptions that nobody involved in the entirety of the two-year, multi million dollar project in planning, design, construction, review, or county inspection, ever considered ada compliance

quote:

Designed and constructed to be fully ADA compliant, the library's design plans were reviewed by the City of Ithaca's director of code enforcement before construction. As the authority with jurisdiction over the project, the city inspected the facility upon completion and confirmed its compliance with ADA standards. To aid individuals with mobility issues, all levels of the stacks have elevator access. The grated floors in the stacks can accommodate individuals with wheelchairs, canes, and other similar assistive devices. The library also offers a paging service for all its visitors, whereby library staff retrieves books upon the patron's request.

oh wait

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Fine, they have elevators. Most multi-story libraries do, since the shelvers have to get the books up there somehow.

Please explain how anyone dependent on a cane can use that floor.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

whoa now, there's no room for logic in this thread, we're busy roasting the six pictures we got and making the wild assumptions that nobody involved in the entirety of the two-year, multi million dollar project in planning, design, construction, review, or county inspection, ever considered ada compliance

oh wait

Hey! Looking up relevant information and posting it is getting in the way of righteous indignation. How dare you.

(I kinda like it. I'd rather have something interesting vs another committee built office cube)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
You could say that library really embodies the idea of looking up.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ok, I got a cross post question for my hosed up library defenders here: how do you clean it without getting water and soap on the books below?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All the dust and dirt falls through so you just mop the bottom floor as needed, boom

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Bad Munki posted:

All the dust and dirt falls through so you just mop the bottom floor as needed, boom

And the tops of the books and shelves?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Fine, they have elevators. Most multi-story libraries do, since the shelvers have to get the books up there somehow.

Please explain how anyone dependent on a cane can use that floor.

It probably depends on the cane. Some canes with big rubber feet may work fine. It would feel less steady than a solid surface, but the slats are close enough together that canes won't fall through which is what matters to people who don't use canes. Followed by "if their canes don't work they can just hold on to the railings".

It would be harrowing to the visually impaired. The visually impaired likely weren't considered since it's a place for books and most people think vision goes
fine->a bit nearsighted->utter blackness
In reality many people who are seriously visually impaired or legally blind can read with assistive devices and have every right to use a library. My mom can't ride down escalators unless she goes directly behind someone else, because she can't clearly see the steps even when the ends are marked with yellow paint, but she can still read most books.

Likewise people with a variety of phobias and perceptual difficulties would find the stacks inaccessible. But those kinds of disabilities aren't usually considered.

I bet they are considering it fully accessible because if you can't access the stacks for whatever reason you can always ask a staff member to retrieve items for you. :newlol: Having enough staff on hand to constantly fetch books for the 2% (or whatever) of patrons who find the stacks inaccessible isn't the designer's problem.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Ok, I got a cross post question for my hosed up library defenders here: how do you clean it without getting water and soap on the books below?

Just use some canned air on the model. Tssst tssst see easy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

falz posted:

And the tops of the books and shelves?

They're covered on top by more books

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm imagining trying to walk in stiletto heels on that grate and it's nightmare fuel.

Only Rihanna can do that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

deoju posted:

Bad library design chat cross-posting:

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh my loving god the ventilation plan is literally "let's make the entire building full of dry paper a giant chimney flue"

https://transsolar.com/projects/cornell-fine-arts-library

:stonk:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Bad library design chat cross-posting:

goddamn this design firm loooves bare concrete voids and levels and using stairs as seating

aaaaaaaaaaaah

Even if there are elevators somewhere in these things there's no way they are disability-friendly. Or human-friendly.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

Sounds like this bathroom is for you!

(Trigger warning, see-though floor)

thanks, I hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

goddamn this design firm loooves bare concrete voids and levels and using stairs as seating

Looks like one of the Amazon buildings in Seattle. It's lovely to be in and move around.