Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Being a good cook is basically irrelevant to running a restaurant. She'd need to be head chef at an existing restaurant to really utilize the skills that come with being a good cook. My question is if she's ever even worked at a restaurant, and does she want to spend every waking moment of her life being in or thinking about that restaurant.

Hahaha even in that article - guy takes off one week -- goddamn week! poo poo spirals apart forever. I can't think of a business to start that's more of a pain in the rear end with more poo poo to go wrong both in and out of your control no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

All the lovely parts of the restaurant business without the glamour of telling your friends to check out your swanky pretty restaurant is the opposite of what she (and most budding restaurateurs) want. They don't want a place to have people eat their cooking, they want to be able to say "I'm the owner of that cool place you've heard about."
I just feel like maybe she'd budge more if her husband was suggesting actually related but lower risk things, and not like, a hair salon.

I know there's a lot of tiny very specialized businesses that do a good trade at my local farmer's market and then have online shops for stuff like jams, sauerkraut, chili, etc. I'm not saying that's easy but I bet it's a lot easier when you don't need to worry about going broke if you can't move enough jam this month.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A friend of mine read the Pete story in its entirety and after reflection tried to make the case that Pete was being abusive.

I really should have paid more attention to how insane that is. At the time I was very "wtf, no. that's stupid" and moved on but in hindsight I goofed. I hope to be better next time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think Imperial Japan did this in real life, they were pretty pro-semitic but loved the protocols of the elders of zion.

I think this is more of a myth than anything. They left the Chinese Jewish community alone, but the Japanese diplomat that saved all those Jews did it for humanitarian reasons, and he ended up being cashiered and stripped of his pension.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

I just feel like maybe she'd budge more if her husband was suggesting actually related but lower risk things, and not like, a hair salon.

I know there's a lot of tiny very specialized businesses that do a good trade at my local farmer's market and then have online shops for stuff like jams, sauerkraut, chili, etc. I'm not saying that's easy but I bet it's a lot easier when you don't need to worry about going broke if you can't move enough jam this month.

Selling pickled stuff online is a good idea- it keeps for ages so you’re unlikely to end up taking a bath on unsold inventory, though I don’t know how good the margins are.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

sullat posted:

I think this is more of a myth than anything. They left the Chinese Jewish community alone, but the Japanese diplomat that saved all those Jews did it for humanitarian reasons, and he ended up being cashiered and stripped of his pension.

oh, good to know, thanks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sullat posted:

That was for disobeying orders in Imperial Japan.

Not being summarily executed was like getting an honorable discharge.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Selling pickled stuff online is a good idea- it keeps for ages so you’re unlikely to end up taking a bath on unsold inventory, though I don’t know how good the margins are.
Yeah I guess part of my point is she doesn't need good margins, she needs something that keeps her busy and makes her feel accomplished, so the rough patches in that sort of setup seem easier to weather.

Like worst case you've got a lot of jam or pickles and honestly, that's not a bad situation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Online jewelry store though. I don't imagine Etsy people have that much upkeep ifykim

Yeah, my wife did the Etsy jewelry store thing for a while and even doing custom silver work the barriers to entry are very low. She never made a lot of profit but it was pretty easy to make back her upfront costs & expenses. Opening a restaurant would easily be 100x the outlay if not more and you have a lot less flexibility to decide how many hours you want to put in.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Has she considered idk getting a loving job? Even in professional cooking, several years worth of college diploma will keep you busy and not cost that much money compared to having a goddamn bankruptcy over a restaurant.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Here’s a great article about how lovely it is to run a restaurant:

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

When the url includes the phrase “ruined life” you know it’s a fun one. But that guy learned too late there’s more to running a restaurant than being a good cook.
The most notable part about this article is that the guy had all sorts of advantages - a nice stash of money, a supportive family, had a wildly generous landlord, friends/family willing to loan him money, the ability to mortgage his house for an influx of cash, staff that were cool with not being paid...and despite all that, it was still a loving disaster for every second he owned it except the brief time period immediately following the four-star review.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PetraCore posted:

I mean. The bracelet is just being stored, so that's a pretty lenient punishment. I never destroyed my brother's stuff deliberately so I don't know this for sure, but if I had done something like that I'm pretty sure my parents would have sent my gift back to my grandparents.

Forget sending it back - use it to pay for what she destroyed. It's almost like holding her accountable for her actions.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not being overly excited about my girlfriends “downstairs” issue?

This is a really weird one, but just looking for another opinion.

So my gf who I love very much recently has had a bunch of warts pop up all around her vagina (been tested, not a sexual disease, but have to hold on sex until they’re gone), the thing is they’re pretty unsightly and there is about 20 of them.

They popped up when we were living together and she was pretty annoyed at the fact that I immediately stop going down on her(a whole new AITA situation). And I’ve been telling her to go to the dermo or gyno for ages.

Anyways we were on FaceTime and she showed me her downstairs area, which was really bad... and I didn’t do anything but apparently I made a face (I don’t really recall, I would never deliberately do that). Anyway she got really pissed and said if she showed me that any other time I’d be so thrilled but how am I expected to be thrilled when there are warts everywhere around it.

The last thing I want to do is make her insecure about this thing, and I’m supporting her through it, it’s just not something that turns me at whatsoever so I’m not going to be super enthusiastic about it in a sexual way.

Tldr: apparently I made a face when being presented a wart riddled nether region after a long poo poo day at work. AITA, also any advice would be great.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

therobit posted:

Who TF outside of history majors and nazis is familiar enough with what the non-hitler nazi leadership looked like to be all "your boyfriend looks SO familiar. Where have I seen him before? OH I KNOW! He's a deadringer for JOSPEH GOEBBELS!?"

Political science rather than history but I know a guy who always gave me a weird vibe I couldn’t put my finger on, then I realized he looks exactly like Martin Bormann.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Motronic posted:

Forget sending it back - use it to pay for what she destroyed. It's almost like holding her accountable for her actions.
Yeah, keeping her from wearing the bracelet until she's missed enough allowance to replace what she destroyed is literally about the most fair, least harsh actual consequences I can imagine, that's why this is so baffling.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Has she considered idk getting a loving job? Even in professional cooking, several years worth of college diploma will keep you busy and not cost that much money compared to having a goddamn bankruptcy over a restaurant.

She doesn't want a job, she wants to Be Her Own Boss, which basically means gently caress around with no pressure from anyone to do anything she doesn't want to do.

The dumb part is she's already living a life where she can gently caress around and do nothing for the rest of her life, but she correctly recognises that it makes her a worthless social parasite. The business is just an attempt to legitimise her worthlessness, which will actually strip her of her ill-gotten finances and return her to a position of needing to work.

It's class-guilt-fuelled self-sabotage, and I fully support it as an alternative to the guillotine.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

HazCat posted:

She doesn't want a job, she wants to Be Her Own Boss, which basically means gently caress around with no pressure from anyone to do anything she doesn't want to do.

The dumb part is she's already living a life where she can gently caress around and do nothing for the rest of her life, but she correctly recognises that it makes her a worthless social parasite. The business is just an attempt to legitimise her worthlessness, which will actually strip her of her ill-gotten finances and return her to a position of needing to work.

It's class-guilt-fuelled self-sabotage, and I fully support it as an alternative to the guillotine.

Ya she comes off like the least sympathetic person. If she wants to at least pretend to be not worthless, there's a whole world of non-profits out there some people of her class love to patronise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HazCat posted:

:hmmyes:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

HazCat posted:

I don't think the amount of wealth needed to gently coast if you're careful is quite the amount of wealth that's wrecking the entire economy and social structure, to be fair. It's still wealth but I don't think you should shift to 'it's a bad thing when people don't need to work to avoid starving and becoming homeless' bc that's part of what validates the crushing structure of capitalism especially towards people who have limitations on how much they can work, like the disabled and mentally ill.

Like, gently caress.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean she should absolutely be donating her time to charities if nothing else.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

The day I met the woman I lost my virginity to was better than our wedding day! Losing my virginity is more important than the birth of my first child!

Don't you see? Without that special lady, I would've been a VIRGIN FOR LIFE.

:murder::murder::murder:

DAY I GOT NOOKIE

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 29, 2019

HazCat
May 4, 2009

PetraCore posted:

I don't think the amount of wealth needed to gently coast if you're careful is quite the amount of wealth that's wrecking the entire economy and social structure, to be fair. It's still wealth but I don't think you should shift to 'it's a bad thing when people don't need to work to avoid starving and becoming homeless' bc that's part of what validates the crushing structure of capitalism especially towards people who have limitations on how much they can work, like the disabled and mentally ill.

Like, gently caress.

If she'd earned that money, sure. But it was an inheritance. She did nothing to deserve the luxury of never having to work again. And some random woman lucking into a fortune of hoarded wealth is not the same as systemic social support for the disabled and mentally ill.

It is a bad thing when people don't have to work because their parents (or their partner's parents) hoarded wealth.

If inheritance was taxed at 100%, we could have a UBI that would allow everyone the luxury she has.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not making my daughter share her lottery winnings with her stepsister?

Even though she’s under 18 for holidays I always get my daughter a couple of scratchers that I will cash for her. My dad used to do the same for me and it was fun even if I didn’t win. The only rules I made about them are anything over a hundred dollars goes into a savings account for when she’s older.

I decided to give my stepdaughter some lottery tickets too. I had asked my wife about it beforehand and she was going to have the same rules with the money except she would be the one to hold onto anything over a hundred for her daughter since we keep our finances mostly separate.

My stepdaughter scratched hers and won $10. My daughter scratched hers and won $300. So I cashed them in and gave my daughter $100 and my stepdaughter the $10.

My stepdaughter was disappointed and my wife thinks I should have split up the money evenly so each of the girls got at least $55 to spend and $100 to save since the ticket and money were technically mine legally.

I don’t think splitting up my daughters money would have been fair to her. I certainly wouldn’t have made my stepdaughter to give mine any of her winnings if she won more.

Edit. Messed up on math. After taking out the $200 and splitting it up they would get $55 spend.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

HazCat posted:

If inheritance was taxed at 100%, we could have a UBI that would allow everyone the luxury she has.
We wouldn't, though, because the corrupt motherfuckers in charge would pocket every loving cent, and you know it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HazCat posted:

If she'd earned that money, sure. But it was an inheritance. She did nothing to deserve the luxury of never having to work again. And some random woman lucking into a fortune of hoarded wealth is not the same as systemic social support for the disabled and mentally ill.

It is a bad thing when people don't have to work because their parents (or their partner's parents) hoarded wealth.

How does 100% inheritance tax work? Like a friend was talking about it and she was saying that everything you own goes to the government, which sounds kind of dumb and not like how it would actually work.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Even though she’s under 18 for holidays I always get my daughter a couple of scratchers that I will cash for her. My dad used to do the same for me and it was fun even if I didn’t win. The only rules I made about them are anything over a hundred dollars goes into a savings account for when she’s older.

I decided to give my stepdaughter some lottery tickets too. I had asked my wife about it beforehand and she was going to have the same rules with the money except she would be the one to hold onto anything over a hundred for her daughter since we keep our finances mostly separate.

My stepdaughter scratched hers and won $10. My daughter scratched hers and won $300. So I cashed them in and gave my daughter $100 and my stepdaughter the $10.

My stepdaughter was disappointed and my wife thinks I should have split up the money evenly so each of the girls got at least $55 to spend and $100 to save since the ticket and money were technically mine legally.

I don’t think splitting up my daughters money would have been fair to her. I certainly wouldn’t have made my stepdaughter to give mine any of her winnings if she won more.

Edit. Messed up on math. After taking out the $200 and splitting it up they would get $55 spend.

The split is a reasonable thing to propose before you know the outcome. Doing after you know the outcome just makes you an rear end in a top hat.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah the problem with that is I don't trust the government to actually distribute that wealth properly when we've got a lot of money already and somehow a bunch of it always goes to military financial black holes and private jets and not to social security programs for people who actually need it.

Like I don't disagree with the base concept at all and while I understand the desire to make sure your children and loved ones are cared for after your death, a properly set up government would already be taking care of that without anyone needing to hoard wealth. I just feel like targeting most of my disgust and anger at billionaires and people at all levels who are deliberately misappropriating funds and cutting aid programs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PetraCore posted:

Absolutely start small like that; pick something you're good at and monetize it. If you can stand the grind of regularly producing stock for a farmer's market, and actually sell the stuff, ideally to repeat customers then step up. Consider small-scale catering. Develop a menu you can make and deliver in bulk for a dozen or two people at a price you can make a good profit on, and do that. That can supplement the farmer's market until it takes off on its own.

If the catering thing takes off, consider a food truck or getting into your local popup scene.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Lottery ticket gifts just seem like they're begging for drama.

It's like gifting cash, except you almost always wind up with less money than you spent, and some people randomly get more than others. Fun for the whole family!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Be very glad these kids are learning that money will eat their family now, and over such a low amount.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my partner she is a millennial?

My gf is 31 and I am 25. She likes to act like she is not a millennial and is a gen X. I pointed out to her tonight that she is a millennial and she said what about all the lists that says she is. I googled it and texted her 28 examples that said millennials are born between 1981-1996 and I couldn’t find a single one to say she was part of gen x. She got mad at me and won’t talk to me and says she has the right to define her own generation. I said that’s literally not how it works and she got even madder at me. Now she’s downstairs and will not talk to me. She is born in 1988 therefore is a millennial, I don’t really know what else to say. My sister says I took it to far and should of just let her believe whatever she wants.

AITA for not letting it go and sending her all the examples?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not being overly excited about my girlfriends “downstairs” issue?

Next time do a rafiki voice and say "pumbaaaa"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She got mad at me and won’t talk to me and says she has the right to define her own generation.

the only correct response here is OK boomer

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My gf is 31 and I am 25. She likes to act like she is not a millennial and is a gen X. I pointed out to her tonight that she is a millennial and she said what about all the lists that says she is. I googled it and texted her 28 examples that said millennials are born between 1981-1996 and I couldn’t find a single one to say she was part of gen x. She got mad at me and won’t talk to me and says she has the right to define her own generation. I said that’s literally not how it works and she got even madder at me. Now she’s downstairs and will not talk to me. She is born in 1988 therefore is a millennial, I don’t really know what else to say. My sister says I took it to far and should of just let her believe whatever she wants.

All millennials were born after 1987. Prove me wrong, idiot lmao

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We wouldn't, though, because the corrupt motherfuckers in charge would pocket every loving cent, and you know it.

This is what's known as a self-correcting problem if the corrupt motherfuckers in charge start dying en mass for some reason :eng101:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Lol, classic rebound sex scenario... hmm guess I should take it slow and see if this is a good foundation for a relationship.

LOL

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

HIJK posted:

All millennials were born after 1987. Prove me wrong, idiot lmao

im a millenial and i was born in 86 check mate boomer

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Classic entitled millennial

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Having generational cohorts be 20 years long is dumb as gently caress anyway, especially when you're talking about grouping together people who remember watching the Berlin Wall come down with people who can barely remember a world without iPhones. Don't acknowledge them in any way and you're all the richer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MamatKunem
Oct 15, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
instead of a restuarant, that lady should do what Pick did and open up a whore-store