Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

i didn't see this movie or read any of this thread.

i feel liberated, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Blistex posted:

Re-watched the first episode of the Mandalorian, and something occurred to me.

I don't know why, but I really, really want Werner Herzog to star in a shot-for-shot remake of an 80's teen sex comedy. Something like Ski School, Screwballs, Private School, whatever. I want him to play the main protagonist, and at no point does the film or characters acknowledge that he's not a highschool-aged boy.

Better Off Dead but it ends half way through with a successful suicide.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey hey ho ho Kathleen Kennedy has got to go

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hell Yeah posted:

Hell yeah.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hell Yeah posted:

Edit: seriously eat poo poo

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Moola posted:

Edit: seriously eat poo poo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I told you JJ Abrams was poo poo

I tried to warn you

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
star
wars
good god, y'all
what is it good for

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Kazak posted:

:goonsay: JJ's handling of Star Trek was dumb flash with decent action that missed the philosophy of the series

No, Into Darkness really is that bad :colbert:

Clearly the only problem here is a lack of philosophical depth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I member into darkness being the best of the new star treks. At least they didn't play loving beastie boys.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
into darkness was dire. it killed the series

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tighclops posted:

I tried to warn you

I think 1/4 of the posters in this thread have been saying that since it was announced that he would take the reigns back in 2015. Anyone who watched ST:09, and ST:ITD knew exactly what was going to happen after he remade the same movie (Wrath of Khan) two times in a row.

Anyone have a link to the previous star wars thread? I think it was old enough to verify that.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

amusinginquiry posted:

I always figured the galaxy is just real real big, so even if there were thousands of Jedi running around, most normal Star Wars people would never encounter them, let alone see real force powers in action.

But yeah, at the same time it’s kind of silly and you’d think everyone would talk about the force and poo poo all the time even if most of it was just rumor

It's pretty explicit how the Force is viewed by the galaxy at large in ANH though. Luke's never even heard of it, and people like Han or the mouthy Moff who have heard of it regard it as a means of parlor trickery not all that much different than you and I would view, say, psychic detectives or tarot readers

I thought the confusion by everybody except the old blacksmith lady over what the gently caress Baby Yoda was doing was one of the best parts of the episode. Just emblematic of how much firmer a grasp the people making it have on the mechanics and milieu of Star Wars than the people making the movies do

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tighclops posted:

I tried to warn you

I WARNED YOU ABOUT STAR WARS BRO!!!!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Empty Sandwich posted:

star
wars
good god, y'all
what is it good for

Memes

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

dick wizard posted:

rey should have had to take care of her grandpa in his twilight even though he's a tremendous monster who has murdered billions. i think that message would really resonate with the estranged parents/boomer crowd and they'd all be giving it five stars.

Conversely, ungrateful millennial Rey rejecting her creepy racist grandpa’s attempts to relive his glory days through her before throwing away his name and lineage has got to be the biggest sweaty boomer nightmare. Killing him was a mercy.

Edit: Emphatically, consume excrement.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/eclipsecassette/status/1210713103635288064?s=21

gently caress Kathleen Kennedy is what I’m saying

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Honestly I think doing a publicized firing of Kennedy would probably be worth eating her contract, they desperately need some good PR.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

lurker2006 posted:

Honestly I think doing a publicized firing of Kennedy would probably be worth eating her contract, they desperately need some good PR.

Disney can't win here. The Internet would be in uproar as millions would scream sexism and believe Disney fired her not because of her mismanagement of the franchise but because they wanted to appease the sexist alt right fans.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
People keep talking about Disney firing Kathleen Kennedy but what is anyone basing this off of? Lucasfilms is profitable and even presidents of unprofitable companies are very rarely publicly fired and then only if they’re doing something super racist in public, so what is everyone talking about? Is this based on anything or is this just people mad about Star Wars and not understanding how corporate culture works?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

They're all bad imo, partly because the creator didn't bother to understand the source material. This is just one reason why JJ made bad star treks and bad star wars

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
one of the weirder things in the ST is how no one seems to know what happened in the ROTJ throne room confrontation

did luke tell people vader killed palpatine? or did luke tell people, or let them believe, he did it? both of these have interesting ramifications for his character. luke, hero of the republic, knowing that he was second from death had his father, the monster vader, not assassinated ol' sheev.

disney didn't seem to know what to do with it so they just had no one talk about it or seem to know about it. plus that weird moment where luke calls him 'darth vader' and not anakin skywalker.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why would Luke have to tell anyone anything? Vader and the Emperor were on the death Star when the rebel alliance blew it up.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/connieglynn/status/1210960012220227586?s=19

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

starkebn posted:

Why would Luke have to tell anyone anything? Vader and the Emperor were on the death Star when the rebel alliance blew it up.

well yeah then maybe you'd want to explore luke being the only man who knows what happened in that room and kept silent because he knows no one will ever believe or understand that vader gave his life for him, who knows that he didn't actually succeed in doing anything.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Horizon Burning posted:

well yeah then maybe you'd want to explore luke being the only man who knows what happened in that room and kept silent because he knows no one will ever believe or understand that vader gave his life for him, who knows that he didn't actually succeed in doing anything.

You’d think he’d at least tell his nephew going through jedi training that anakin redeemed himself instead of letting him treat him like some kind of role model to look up to for evilness.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Horizon Burning posted:

no one will ever believe or understand that vader gave his life for him, who knows that he didn't actually succeed in doing anything.

Didn't succeed in doing anything!?

He made sure the Emperor didn't make it off the Death Star before it exploded. I mean, if he did, it would be like the whole movie had been pointless!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

TK-42-1 posted:

You’d think he’d at least tell his nephew going through jedi training that anakin redeemed himself instead of letting him treat him like some kind of role model to look up to for evilness.

that's another thing, yeah. what does kylo know about vader and anakin? does he know anakin killed palpatine? the whole 'ren talks to vader's helmet' (and then, as TROS indicates suddenly, vader/palpatine talks back to him) is shockingly undeveloped. having ren interact with anakin should've been super obvious, and yet...

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

what's the source for this?
it would be very funny if true but twitter is a piece of poo poo and i can't figure out how to link back to wherever this person is getting this from

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I remember when people thought only problem Avatar: the Last Airbender was gonna have was too many white people. When people thought “Oh no! This movie isn’t going to look like the Avatar show we love!” instead of “Every moment of this movie feels like dying!”

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

You know that part where the guy goes, "It was me. I was the spy."

Was that supposed to be funny? It was the only time in movie my theater burst out laughing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Grey posted:

You know that part where the guy goes, "It was me. I was the spy."

Was that supposed to be funny? It was the only time in movie my theater burst out laughing.

Hux is a comedy character in TLJ and ROTS despite being a literal world killing madman personally responsible for the deaths of billions in TFA

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I mean you can be actively disliking more than one bad thing at a time? What I recall from the live action avatar (thankfully not much), it did have some pretty cool special effects in the fight scenes even if they didn't follow much of the cartoons world building.

Cracker overflow didn't help either.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Colonel Cancer posted:

I mean you can be actively disliking more than one bad thing at a time? What I recall from the live action avatar (thankfully not much), it did have some pretty cool special effects in the fight scenes even if they didn't follow much of the cartoons world building.

Cracker overflow didn't help either.

Avatar had decent ice effects as I recall but it’s been years since I watched it because it sucks rear end

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It is a movie that has so many things wrong with it it goes past the point of finding good things about it. It is a bad movie in many ways. Good fish effects, maybe?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Needing candles to do fire karate was an improvement to the show :smugbert:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yeah honestly the actors being the wrong color was only reason number 47 why the Avatar movie was a completely miserable mess.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

skasion posted:

Hux is a comedy character in TLJ and ROTS despite being a literal world killing madman personally responsible for the deaths of billions in TFA

oh yeah i forgot about that lmao

this trilogy was such a mess tonally

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Also i always thought it would be really awkward/difficult to fly The Falcon, since the cockpit is hanging off the right side so far. Seems like all the mass of the ship would be out of the pilots immediate awareness and make threading it through places really really difficult.

Also every time the ship rolled left or right the cockpit would swing up and down wildly like an amusement park ride. It’s why in normal ships / planes the cockpit is on the centerline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I liked the diss at the end where the outer galaxy retired rebels answer the call for help when it’s Lando asking. In TLJ they ignored it when Leia asked for help. Leia, like most monarchs, had absolutely no business being in charge of an army.

I also love that they had to retcon in Leia secretly doing Jedi training so as to justify her suddenly being able to use Jedi powers in the vacuum of space in TLJ.

What a dogshit movie.