Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tweet is protected now what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tylersayten posted:

Tweet is protected now what happened?

whitewashing

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
im the onscreen same sex kiss inserted with absolutely no reason or meaning

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

vandalism posted:

its in a desperate hope some perfomative woke act will buy them good will/clickbait even though the scene is shot so it can be cut/edited out easy.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

red19fire posted:

I also love that they had to retcon in Leia secretly doing Jedi training so as to justify her suddenly being able to use Jedi powers in the vacuum of space in TLJ.

What a dogshit movie.

Leia being Force sensitive is in the OT and she does Jedi poo poo on the regular in the EU. Luke and Leia are twins and based on the prequels have probably the same amount of midichlorians in their blood. Luke can hop like 30 feet in the air, there’s no reason to think a Leia can’t hop just as high or fly in the vacuum of space. Force sensitive people are known to be able to use the Force even without training, especially in times of stress or danger but it’s fair to assume Luke helped train her since he said he would in ROTJ omg I can’t believe I know so much nerd poo poo but anyone balking at Luke’s twin/Anakin Skywalker’s daughter being able to use the Force are dummies.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Counter argument: the Force is stored in the balls

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Did nien numb survive?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Counter argument: the Force is stored in the balls
Yoda has huge nads

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

vandalism posted:

I'm JJ writing Rose out of the movie and replacing her with not one, but two new love interests.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Oh yeah Finn kinda obviously having great chemistry with the former storm trooper while rose gets a big hug was pretty funny as well. This gets a pass for me as it's just very real life and rose was kinda creepy and clingy in the last movie.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Leia being Force sensitive is in the OT and she does Jedi poo poo on the regular in the EU. Luke and Leia are twins and based on the prequels have probably the same amount of midichlorians in their blood. Luke can hop like 30 feet in the air, there’s no reason to think a Leia can’t hop just as high or fly in the vacuum of space. Force sensitive people are known to be able to use the Force even without training, especially in times of stress or danger but it’s fair to assume Luke helped train her since he said he would in ROTJ omg I can’t believe I know so much nerd poo poo but anyone balking at Luke’s twin/Anakin Skywalker’s daughter being able to use the Force are dummies.

The reason people are pissed is because they are movie purest who want to keep their movies as gritty and realistic as possible, even within the context of a Fantasy setting. To them the force has to be kept really weak because the need to keep that sort of pseudo-christan undertones, because making references to the bible makes movie-watchers feel smart.

Star Wars exists out of theaters tho, so the Movie-watchers can't hold onto to story with their grubby little fingers. gently caress it all mother fuckers! Jedi are super heroes that will one day be as powerful as Supermansyiangokuwolverine. Yet again movies have lost, and Video Games / multi episode video series win.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 29, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Pretty grisly. . . all those IG heads on display.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The reason people are pissed is because they are movie purest who want to keep their movies as gritty and realistic as possible, even within the context of a Fantasy setting. To them the force has to be kept really weak because the need to keep that sort of pseudo-christan undertones, because making references to the bible makes movie-watchers feel smart.

Idk how anyone could consider themselves “movie purists” in regards to complaining about Force powers in Star Wars since Force powers have always been super convenient story tools since literally the first movie. The purist standpoint would be “Force powers are whatever, there are no rules, you can hop high, lift stuff, lightning zaps, run really fast, mind control, ghost chat, anything.”

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

is it explained how kylo ren got darth vader's helmet when they had to go through this whole movie to find the wreckage of the death star?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wasn't Vader used as firewood at the end of 6? He was probably cu up for souvenirs like Richthofens plane.

Somebody prosesses his rib.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The helmet Ren had was Limited Edition replica from The Franklin Mint.

Dipshit took it out of the box though, it's probably barely worth any quatloos now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Leia having force powers makes more sense then her not having any. Vader even says, in the originals, that if Luke won't join them maybe Leia will. That's what prompts Lukes rage attack

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In the twelve hundred posts made in the Star Wars thread while I was gone, I will assume every possible permutation of jokes and criticisms was made.

I will just point out that it was funny that all the bait and switches throughout the movie were reflected in the whole narrative structure itself. Much like, e.g., Chewie's death turned out to be a totally pointless event that didn't happen, the whole fetch quest of the first three quarters of the movie turned out to be equally pointless. Since the attention deficit pacing of the movie ensured no emotional scenes or even jokes had time to land, they might as well just have stuck the whole movie in the opening crawl.

At least my 11-year old nephews liked it :shrug:

Oh yeah! Fucken lmao at the literal Independence Day ending with Death Star Destroyers falling out of the sky everywhere in the world (except they forgot to set up that they had already been deployed throughout the galaxy hahaha).

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Idk how anyone could consider themselves “movie purists” in regards to complaining about Force powers in Star Wars since Force powers have always been super convenient story tools since literally the first movie. The purist standpoint would be “Force powers are whatever, there are no rules, you can hop high, lift stuff, lightning zaps, run really fast, mind control, ghost chat, anything.”

The Star Wars movies have always had this meta aspect to them where the characters have noticed that their lives and history follow certain tropes and have formed a religion around it. They're still quite a bit a ways from figuring out they're all just characters in a story being observed and influenced by billions of people in an outsider culture, but they've know some kind of "force" is behind their universe so that's the term they use to describe it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only thing the Force can't do is "force" me to watch any of these movies, haha

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Star Wars exists out of theaters tho, so the Movie-watchers can't hold onto to story with their grubby little fingers. gently caress it all mother fuckers! Jedi are super heroes that will one day be as powerful as Supermansyiangokuwolverine. Yet again movies have lost, and Video Games / multi episode video series win.

I think its fine Leia has the force, it makes sense and could be cool

Her flying through space looked loving dumb though; keeping force powers subtle is better because Jedi running faster than F1 car looks dumb, jumping on bounce pad over a lava river looks fukken dumb

Edit: Seriously eat poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The only thing the Force can't do is "force" me to watch any of these movies, haha

Lmao

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Blistex posted:

Pretty grisly. . . all those IG heads on display.

I'm the bug alien in the back

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mozi posted:

into darkness was dire. it killed the series
Khan was taught to take-off and fly, but not land, any ship

This knowledge extends to all things JJ Abrams

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember how Han Solo was kind of a dick to C3PO? What if... What if everyone was insanely mean to 3PO whenever he's on screen! Now that would be comedy! Does 3PO have balls? We should have someone kick him in the balls and he goes "oh noooo" and everyone points and laughs and says "Haha he hurt him balls what a loser you gonna piss yourself now pissy boy? Pisspisspiss".

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember how Han Solo was kind of a dick to C3PO? What if... What if everyone was insanely mean to 3PO whenever he's on screen! Now that would be comedy! Does 3PO have balls? We should have someone kick him in the balls and he goes "oh noooo" and everyone points and laughs and says "Haha he hurt him balls what a loser you gonna piss yourself now pissy boy? Pisspisspiss".
C3P0: "Now that you've kicked me in the balls I just wanted to say I love you and am glad you're happy"

He's the ultimate Star Wars fan

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

So wrong, what a bad post

Zooming Leia sucked because it had no precedent and it was a lazy deflation of a previous moments impact (Leia's team getting blown up)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Speaking of clever and subtle Bible references, did anyone else expect to see Rey literally walking on the water or calming the waves or some poo poo like that when Finn finds that she's gone off to the Death Star alone? At that point it seemed like yeah why the hell not, just go hog wild.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

To them the force has to be kept really weak because the need to keep that sort of pseudo-christan undertones,

Are you calling Christ weak!?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Rey does defeat Sheev with the power of the cross :hmmyes:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Anakin Skywalker sacrificed himself and died for our sins

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

Oh yeah Finn kinda obviously having great chemistry with the former storm trooper while rose gets a big hug was pretty funny as well. This gets a pass for me as it's just very real life and rose was kinda creepy and clingy in the last movie.

The movie is about Finn trying to escape the Friendzone.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't remember Conan ever being nailed to a cross :confused:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

The original story comes from norse mythology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PsHKADacEU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Contemplate this on the tree of woe

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
:laffo: Jesus loving Christ

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dean of Swing posted:

I'm JJ writing Rose out of the movie and replacing her with not one, but two new love interests.

It’s ok because they’re way hotter

Good job JJ

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

Kazak posted:

So wrong, what a bad post

Zooming Leia sucked because it had no precedent and it was a lazy deflation of a previous moments impact (Leia's team getting blown up)

Pretty much this. The yoda lifted an entire spaceship from a bog and mind control is an insane power. The force can do whatever. Its space magic. It felt so "anime" to have something dramatically bad happen and then the hero says "haha I've been trained in the force the whole time!"

edit: chowdown on butt brown.

Salem Saberhagen fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

It also would have been a lot less jarring if we had seen her do something (anything) with the Force before this. She reacted to Han's death in TFA, but something more "active" or overt to show she has been developing her powers. A quiet moment of floaty meditation like Luke on Dagobah with the rocks, Mind Tricking Poe into leaving her alone, or just pulling a glass of water to herself from across the table.

(I will admit that something like this may have happened and I forgot about it. I only saw TLJ once in the theaters and haven't been bothered to revisit it since.)