Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Saw it, it was acceptable, probably not the worst movie in the entire series. It DESPERATELY needed an editor to cut like half an hour out of it, but throughout the whole new trilogy I really dug the Rey/Kylo dynamic. The confrontation in his quarters/down in the snowy slums was really interestingly shot, with the fragments of either place raining down from the blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I hope KK stays around to cement Disney SW as a creative failure. They can ride on the fumes but the soul is dead and there are no good options other than the slow death.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The comic shop across the street from me was having it's going out of business sale and I picked up a bunch of Star Wars comics for a quarter a pop b/c why not.

I had to share this stupid sexy hutt panel with my fellow goons:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

The comic shop across the street from me was having it's going out of business sale and I picked up a bunch of Star Wars comics for a quarter a pop b/c why not.

I had to share this stupid sexy hutt panel with my fellow goons:

drat! My man has at least a dozen lightsabers on a necklace, that's awesome

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lol he has a necklace of lightsabers?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We need a Disney coming of age story starring a Hutt. Just use the usual princess formula about a hopeful youth striking out to reach the impossible against the whims of their parents authority.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

We need to make this Hutt even more formidable, give him chiseled pecs and a six pack

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

You will take me to Jabba now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The hutt is like a Weeaboo collector for Jedi poo poo and he makes Luke turn on all his Holocrons at gunpoint.

IDK what happens after that they didn't have the next issue.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Unironically the best thing to come out of Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWcTbjSrguc

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

It also would have been a lot less jarring if we had seen her do something (anything) with the Force before this. She reacted to Han's death in TFA, but something more "active" or overt to show she has been developing her powers. A quiet moment of floaty meditation like Luke on Dagobah with the rocks, Mind Tricking Poe into leaving her alone, or just pulling a glass of water to herself from across the table.

(I will admit that something like this may have happened and I forgot about it. I only saw TLJ once in the theaters and haven't been bothered to revisit it since.)

I agree Leia could have done some more Force poo poo before the bridge explosion in TLJ. I think the only example they give is her sensing Han’s death in TFA and sensing Kylo’s presence during the attack. Idk how you work out having space wizards while also having stakes but more Leia doing Jedi poo poo would have been nice.

I do not agree with people who claim her power is over the top, moving herself through the vacuum of space to save herself from death isn’t like a wacky op Force power, especially considering the movie makes it clear she just barely survives and is drained as a result and it seems like a really dumb line to draw considering use of the Force in the rest of the movies. It’s something that makes people so bizarrely mad I wish she had spent the rest of the movie zooming around in space shooting ships with Force lightning.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Idk how you work out having space wizards while also having stakes

the original trilogy cracked this riddle, somehow

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
They in fact did not, everyone just kind of rolls with it now but Force powers undermine stakes in the OT quite a bit.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

They in fact did not, everyone just kind of rolls with it now but Force powers undermine stakes in the OT quite a bit.

Please explain

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ah neat theres probably a skinny jabba that looks like a snake too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Encouragedly, eat da poo poo!!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

steinrokkan posted:

The only thing the Force can't do is "force" me to watch any of these movies, haha

:vince:

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Jabba is actually really healthy. He just has a genetic predisposition to be husky.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I enjoyed it for the 2 hour laser show that it was.

Ray's also cute.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Everybody loves Ray

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty good star wars movie! The best in the new trilogy

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Sourdough Sam posted:

Jabba is actually really healthy. He just has a genetic predisposition to be husky.

Hutt At Every Size

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stretch Marx posted:

I enjoyed it for the 2 hour laser show that it was.

Ray's also cute.

She was almost as distracting as Kylo's huge rear end nose

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they should have updated palpatine to make him a more modern villian

occasionally show his twitter feed on the side of the screen. filled with him calling out Crooked Leia and retweeting insane pizza gate accounts

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bef posted:

Pretty good star wars movie! The best in the new trilogy

No actually it’s this:

TLJ
ROS
TFA

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

power ranking three unsalted rice crackers

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I like to think of it as a poo sandwich but in that case it would need to be reordered.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they should have updated palpatine to make him a more modern villian

occasionally show his twitter feed on the side of the screen. filled with him calling out Crooked Leia and retweeting insane pizza gate accounts

The movie kicked off with him sending an angry tweet across the galaxy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol he has a necklace of lightsabers?
Luke uses Force Push on 17 lightsabers, problem solves itself and now he has 17 extra sabers to play with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Archer666 posted:

Unironically the best thing to come out of Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWcTbjSrguc

heh, this was from 1977. i sorta guessed because it sounded to 70s to be some modern day parody.

https://starwarsfans.fandom.com/wiki/Living_in_These_Star_Wars

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Voting Floater posted:

The movie kicked off with him sending an angry tweet across the galaxy.

Can't believe we didn't get to read the actual tweet, and when he tweeted again that he's attacking in 16 hours instead of winning right away, we had to have Pippin translate because he's the only one that speaks the Emperor's English.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Moola posted:

I think its fine Leia has the force, it makes sense and could be cool

Her flying through space looked loving dumb though; keeping force powers subtle is better because Jedi running faster than F1 car looks dumb, jumping on bounce pad over a lava river looks fukken dumb

Edit: Seriously eat poo poo
You're just saying it doesn't look good. That's just lovely film-making (another point against movies). The six-million dollar man figured out how to make that poo poo cool, on a tv budget, in the 60's (edit) 70's. You just slow down the camera and make a cool loving sound. Or that X-men movie scene where the fucker runs really fast. Also there are tons of loving animated scenes of superman racing the flash that are fine. Movies, as a medium to tell stories, don't have the chops to be entertaining to you Amateur movie-watchers any more.

Kazak posted:

So wrong, what a bad post

Zooming Leia sucked because it had no precedent and it was a lazy deflation of a previous moments impact (Leia's team getting blown up)

The precedent is not in Star Wars films. The precedent is in your Amateur movie-watcher culture. Like remember when the Die Hard(Bruce Williace) launched a loving car to blow up a helicopter he leveled up his movie explosions skills. It was awesome, except to you amateur Movie-watchers. You are like people who drink liters of coke a day. You have so much sugar in your system that if you wanna feel something at 3 am in the morning you have chug a monster energy drink. That's why instead of one planet being blown up in the Seventh movie three had to be blown up. Then in the Tenth movie they are gonna blow up a whole loving universe.

If movies keep being made, it's eventually going to be the Fast and Furious with mutant powers fighting space Thanos with like 100 floating light sabers. Star Wars fans will be like "YEAAAH!" then buy all the toys. Basic people who don't watch as much movies will be like "YEAAAH!" While Pro movie-watchers will be like "well it is absurd, but it takes the iconic items of earlier Star Wars movies to their natural end point. In such a manner you just have to laugh and go "YEEEEEAH!"

While you amateur movie-watches will sit and sulk and be all, "That sucks because it's not realistic enough for my snobbish taste."

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 29, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

six million dollar man but they cut the show's intro explaining how this guys so powerful

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

call me Amateur one more time and I swear to freakin ripped Jesus...

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Kazak posted:

six million dollar man but they cut the show's intro explaining how this guys so powerful

It was explained. You just don't want to accept it. Midichlorians

Kazak posted:

call me Amateur one more time and I swear to freakin ripped Jesus...

It's not my fault you neither watch too many or not enough movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQaAddwjxg - Either click or don't. Pick which one you wanna be if you don't wanna be a A******.

Or https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/star-wars-legacy-of-the-force/38356/

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 29, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Kazak posted:

Are you calling Christ weak!?

(Sorry. Forgot to make assholes comments on this one.)

No you are calling christians weak. Star Wars is the story is about a violent Jesus who grows up in a desert and fights against a Roman (also British) Empire. Like wouldn't christian be much cooler if Jesus was allowed to be the DJesus we all really want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqISX2o0a4A

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That doesn’t look evil at all? Plus it doesn’t seem licensed by Disney. I don’t think Kylo has an evil twin, but I haven’t read the most recent comics, and we know how wacky the EU can get heh heh, oh Tim Zahn

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

would it be kyloo or kyylo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TK-42-1 posted:

would it be kyloo or kyylo?

kkylo. the eventual third clone goes some dark places