Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Couldn't they just sign him on a pre-contract in January anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

Yep

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Nah, pre-contracts can only be signed outside of the PL. Domestic clubs can't use them

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Nah, pre-contracts can only be signed outside of the PL. Domestic clubs can't use them

Officially.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Woodward's fault?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/29/borussia-dortmund-manchester-united-signing-erling-braut-haaland

Would be a bit weird to have gone to a club which reveres a violent oval office that tried to end your dad's career though

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eriksen’s current owner is Levy so you’re out of your mind if you think he can be had in the winter window for “a couple of million”

He'll be out of contract in the summer and apparently isn't interested in a new contract, so even Levy isn't going to be demanding insane amounts for him. I'm sure he won't move for free, but compared to the potential loss of revenue United will face if they don't get into the Champions League next season (and without any kind of decent number 10 that's not very likely) it would be negligent to not strengthen the team. Doubly so if the rumours are true that Jose wants Matic at Spurs.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

mila kunis posted:

Woodward's fault?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/29/borussia-dortmund-manchester-united-signing-erling-braut-haaland

Would be a bit weird to have gone to a club which reveres a violent oval office that tried to end your dad's career though

He was born in Leeds and supports them, and his dad also played for City so he's likely had it drilled into his head from a young age that Wankchester pooshited are a bunch of clowns

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Cutrone was pulled from the Wolves match day squad at the last minute, a lot of speculation that he's about to finalize a move to Fiorentina

I know why he didn’t get much game time but that’s a shame. I was hoping he’d do better.

Will be cool to see him and Chiesa though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Der Shovel posted:

He'll be out of contract in the summer and apparently isn't interested in a new contract, so even Levy isn't going to be demanding insane amounts for him. I'm sure he won't move for free, but compared to the potential loss of revenue United will face if they don't get into the Champions League next season (and without any kind of decent number 10 that's not very likely) it would be negligent to not strengthen the team. Doubly so if the rumours are true that Jose wants Matic at Spurs.

All of this is true except the part about Levy not demanding insane amounts.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TelekineticBear! posted:

He was born in Leeds and supports them, and his dad also played for City so he's likely had it drilled into his head from a young age that Wankchester pooshited are a bunch of clowns

*Haaland Sr stares intently at photo of Roy Keane* "And I want NINETY PERCENT of any sell on fee Ed"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Valon Behrami is heading back to Genoa just a few months after he left FC Sion by terminating his contract early. Seems a bit of a gamble but it’s a free transfer.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sassassin looks like you're getting Brewster on loan for the rest of the season. Do you think he'll play? The kid needs as much game time as possible.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EvilHawk posted:

sassassin looks like you're getting Brewster on loan for the rest of the season. Do you think he'll play? The kid needs as much game time as possible.

If he's better than Sam Surridge he will. And he must be, Surridge is useless. Borja Baston is back off to Spain by the looks of it, and our chairman's notes from the weekend put in a not very subtle message about us either selling big players in January or the academy is being downgraded/shut down. Ayew's been playing like he's got a shop window all to himself so fingers crossed him and his £80k a week are off, and his goals with him. We don't have any other strikers except old Wayne Routledge. Nothing in our own academy ready to go, Liam Cullen was second top scorer in PL2 behind Brighton's Aaron Connolly last season, but he's moaning little poo poo and I don't think he's up to the next step.

Not sure we can afford what you want for Brewster unless there are departures, and there's other clubs interested who are in a better position to gamble for promotion than us, and playing better football as well. We're loving dire under Cooper (who Brewster played for with England babies?).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Perin back to Genoa (on loan, I imagine permanent at the end). Bad for Juve, as they’ll need a new backup keeper after this year but good for him as he’s too good to be a backup.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Perin back to Genoa (on loan, I imagine permanent at the end). Bad for Juve, as they’ll need a new backup keeper after this year but good for him as he’s too good to be a backup.

Buffon has been indicating that he may stick around another year, so my guess for now is that it'll still be him.

In any event Perin is a good lad (who also got married this weekend) and hopefully he'll stay healthy and find a good permanent situation.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

If he's better than Sam Surridge he will. And he must be, Surridge is useless. Borja Baston is back off to Spain by the looks of it, and our chairman's notes from the weekend put in a not very subtle message about us either selling big players in January or the academy is being downgraded/shut down. Ayew's been playing like he's got a shop window all to himself so fingers crossed him and his £80k a week are off, and his goals with him. We don't have any other strikers except old Wayne Routledge. Nothing in our own academy ready to go, Liam Cullen was second top scorer in PL2 behind Brighton's Aaron Connolly last season, but he's moaning little poo poo and I don't think he's up to the next step.

Not sure we can afford what you want for Brewster unless there are departures, and there's other clubs interested who are in a better position to gamble for promotion than us, and playing better football as well. We're loving dire under Cooper (who Brewster played for with England babies?).

Klopp rates Brewster and even Dortmund were sniffing around for him, but the kid needs actual playing time and he's not going to get the minutes he really needs just staying at Liverpool unless a massive injury crisis arises. I don't think Liverpool are looking to sell yet given the kid's potential, but he does need more development time. Hopefully he does the business for Swansea.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brony Car posted:

Klopp rates Brewster and even Dortmund were sniffing around for him, but the kid needs actual playing time and he's not going to get the minutes he really needs just staying at Liverpool unless a massive injury crisis arises. I don't think Liverpool are looking to sell yet given the kid's potential, but he does need more development time. Hopefully he does the business for Swansea.

Hype-man Klopp namedrops every young player you've got, we had quotes from him about Dhanda before we took him on and he's nothing special. New contract the other day but can't make the matchday squad as often as not.

Brewster's missed a lot of football since being a standout in the younger age groups. Huge step up from u23s football for a centre forward.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Liverpool's youth setup is dogshit, I wouldn't trust any player coming out of it.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Liverpool's youth setup is dogshit, I wouldn't trust any player coming out of it.

Please don't tell Eddie Howe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
United should lend us Greenwood for half a season. They owe us.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

United should lend us Greenwood for half a season. They owe us.

Chong needs minutes

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bundy posted:

Chong needs minutes

So does Lingard!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

So does Lingard!

Strong disagree.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Radu's agent is already stirring up poo poo about trying to get him a transfer this month lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

So does Lingard!

Lingard needs help to get his head on straight, his personal life is all over the place atm.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Radu's agent is already stirring up poo poo about trying to get him a transfer this month lol

I think even before the coaching debacle there were rumors that nobody was really happy with Radu's performances anyway. He was on his way out already I think.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I know why he didn’t get much game time but that’s a shame. I was hoping he’d do better.

Will be cool to see him and Chiesa though.

He didn’t get much game time because we went back to being primarily 343 again instead of 352 and Raul has held the CF position on lock.

Speaking of our summer transfer failures Madrid wants to recall tge Vallejo loan:

https://en.as.com/en/2019/12/30/football/1577712332_907025.html

Can’t even get on the side with an injury to our best center back. When midfielders and former futsal players have passed you on the depth chart, something’s wrong.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

tao of lmao posted:

He didn’t get much game time because we went back to being primarily 343 again instead of 352 and Raul has held the CF position on lock.

Yeah I was getting at the fact that the players in Wolves' current starting lineup are much better suited to playing in that formation and also are proven to perform well in those positions. Just didn't work out for Cutrone is all.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bundy posted:

Lingard needs help to get his head on straight, his personal life is all over the place atm.

As someone who doesn't watch United regularly, I thought the guy showed some promise and at least had good instincts for where to be to get a jammy goal. Then it was like he hit a development wall in the middle of last season. It sounds like he has been majorly distracted with both serious family stuff (like his mom's(?) illness) and that hideous fashion label of his but it's not like he's beyond hope right now.

It seems like the perils of being at a young player at a big club like United. If Lingard was still at Birmingham making decent - but not Manchester United - money, I wonder if he'd be looking a lot better, or at least more focused and with less social media hijinks. Would anyone be trying to get JLingz off the ground without that Manchester United cachet to try to tap?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah I was getting at the fact that the players in Wolves' current starting lineup are much better suited to playing in that formation and also are proven to perform well in those positions. Just didn't work out for Cutrone is all.

Honestly I’ll be sad to see him go. He endeared himself to the fans very quickly. We ended last season primarily playing 352 and he would have thrived with regular playing time in that formation.

The other big thing that made the change back to 343 necessary was Traore having the best year of his career.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

It seems like the perils of being at a young player at a big club like United. If Lingard was still at Birmingham making decent - but not Manchester United - money, I wonder if he'd be looking a lot better, or at least more focused and with less social media hijinks. Would anyone be trying to get JLingz off the ground without that Manchester United cachet to try to tap?

Lingard is 27, he isn't a young player, it just seems like he is because he didn't become anything close to a regular at United until he was 23.

He had a very good World Cup, arguably better than he's ever played for United, and I feel like that may have gone to his head a bit. The clothing line thing is daft especially since he's Jesse loving Lingard not Cristiano Ronaldo. Nothing can really be said about his mother's health issues, you can't really wave that away. Of course it's going to be a distraction. I think he's fortunate in that he came through a very thin United squad and had a few good appearances in big matches that gave him some support amongst United supporters and staff but if his form stays like it is I don't see him being at United beyond this season.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lingard is lacking confidence which is crippling for creative players. It's the same reason players like Rashford have lean and purple patches, he's another confidence player. If that sliding rabona hadn't come off against Burnley and he'd knackered the chance I'd have been confidently expecting Rashford to have a dip in goal scoring form.

Lingard's work rate remains good, he's an ideal forward player to have in the matches where we're expecting to concede possession and play on the counter, as he's excellent at pressing defenders and midfielders. If Lingard's head is on properly I reckon he's got the confidence to beat Watford's keeper, instead he snatches the chip over the bar. Confident Lingard scores important goals.

He's gets more stick than he should because atm it's obvious when he tries things that don't come off, whereas the rest of his game isn't eye catching. He's created a lot of chances in matches he's played in prior to the Watford game, but because a trick doesn't come off or he's not scoring, that's all getting laser focus.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be producing more, an attacking mid/number 10 should be getting assists and goals. I don't think he's performing as badly as is being made out though, when deployed for his current strengths. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts against Arsenal for example, to force Arsenal's passing around the back into mistakes.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Shrapnig posted:

We have a few decent players. TAA is pretty good, Curtis Jones is good, KiJana Hoever is promising.

Apart from that though, yeah, bit crap

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

tarbrush posted:

We have a few decent players. TAA is pretty good, Curtis Jones is good, KiJana Hoever is promising.

Unfortunately our youth setup went through the best part of a decade of mismanagement, in which time Everton, United, and City all massively increased theirs. We're just now in the position to start poaching players back from City, but within Liverpool it's going to take many more years.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

Ah yes, the latter two who I've definitely heard of.

Remember James Wilson at Manchester United who was touted as the next great English striker, scored twice on his debut, and is now playing for loving Aberdeen? Of course you don't. How about Saidy Janko, former United Reserve Player of the Year? "Good" and "promising" means gently caress all at the youth/reserve level.

Liverpool's strength the past several years has been in the transfer market. They're probably the best in the world at finding players who immediately slot into their system. Other than 15/16 where they signed Clyne, Ings, Benteke, and of course Steven Caulker on loan which was so bizarre. That season also got them Milner and Firmino however.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Remember James Wilson at Manchester United who was touted as the next great English striker, scored twice on his debut, and is now playing for loving Aberdeen?

Who was the Italian kid with the exact same career trajectory?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

Who was the Italian kid with the exact same career trajectory?

Kiko Macheda, he's playing in Greece now for Panathinaikos and actually scoring goals.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Machedas defining career moment for Man Utd was scoring a blinder against Villa that basically sealed the title in 09.

He did nothing before or after

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Machedas defining career moment for Man Utd was scoring a blinder against Villa that basically sealed the title in 09.

He did nothing before or after

He actually scored in his second appearance too. Michael Carrick was nice enough to hit him with a shot that ended up going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Shrapnig posted:

Ah yes, the latter two who I've definitely heard of.

Remember James Wilson at Manchester United who was touted as the next great English striker, scored twice on his debut, and is now playing for loving Aberdeen? Of course you don't. How about Saidy Janko, former United Reserve Player of the Year? "Good" and "promising" means gently caress all at the youth/reserve level.

Liverpool's strength the past several years has been in the transfer market. They're probably the best in the world at finding players who immediately slot into their system. Other than 15/16 where they signed Clyne, Ings, Benteke, and of course Steven Caulker on loan which was so bizarre. That season also got them Milner and Firmino however.

I'm agreeing with you, one massive success, two vaguely promising types and lots of fleecing Bournemouth is not a good youth setup.

I'll be sad if Brewster is washed, but that many knee injuries so young is really hard to power through