Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fart of Presto posted:

EGS
Hello Neighbor: Hide & Seek didn't register for me, but that me be because it already existed in other variations on Steam before this release got an exclusive on EGS.

I saw that on Steam and thought it was a lovely pallete swap, it's an actual game and an ex exclueive?

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
All i heard about Metro Exodus was that it wasn't really all that great so I doubt the Steam release will do much for it considering most people who really wanted it most likely preordered anyway. As for MechWarrior it only manages to barely not be garbage and it's kind of amazing how you can do worse than just single player MWO but that's PGI.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The 7th Guest posted:

i doubt the free games will last far into 2020

I just keep collecting free games. I've got like 35 games in my Epic Library now and I've only paid money for 4 of them.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Morglon posted:

All i heard about Metro Exodus was that it wasn't really all that great so I doubt the Steam release will do much for it considering most people who really wanted it most likely preordered anyway. As for MechWarrior it only manages to barely not be garbage and it's kind of amazing how you can do worse than just single player MWO but that's PGI.

Metro was fine but it lost a lot of the good quasi-survival horror aspects of the first two games and replaced it with serviceable open world and crafting mechanics. I do miss the bullet based economy of the first games; it always struck me as an ingenious piece of game design. By making ammo the currency the player is forced to make the choice between balancing their ability to kill with the need for medpacks, mask filters, etc. It also is an elegant example of a game mechanic that feeds back into the setting and context of the overall experience

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Even if the free games dry up, at this point they've released enough that anyone who's been 'keeping up' will likely be keeping the launcher installed, since they have a solid library.

They really needed to hit that threshold to make people consider buying on their launcher instead of steam.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bullets weren’t ever really anything like that in the two previous Metro games. There were two types of ammo, pre-war and post-war. You could shoot the pre-war bullets if you absolutely wanted to but there was always plenty of post-war ammo, especially in Last Light. Pre-war bullets were in the end just a currency. It did lend to the atmosphere.

You do have to enjoy open world games to enjoy the first two areas of Metro Exodus though. There are linear missions to progress through the areas but it isn’t quite the same until the third zone. Also if you care about the characters I hope you enjoy listening to a fuckton of incidental dialogue.

Anyways I still really enjoyed it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kibayasu posted:

Bullets weren’t ever really anything like that in the two previous Metro games. There were two types of ammo, pre-war and post-war. You could shoot the pre-war bullets if you absolutely wanted to but there was always plenty of post-war ammo, especially in Last Light. Pre-war bullets were in the end just a currency. It did lend to the atmosphere.

You do have to enjoy open world games to enjoy the first two areas of Metro Exodus though. There are linear missions to progress through the areas but it isn’t quite the same until the third zone. Also if you care about the characters I hope you enjoy listening to a fuckton of incidental dialogue.

Anyways I still really enjoyed it.

I mean there was a tradeoff because pre war bullets were far far better than post war bullets so you could use them to make a tough firefight easier but then you're burning money.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Exodus wasn't terrible but I really don't like that it took a cool, unique series and turned it into a generic open world shooter complete with Fallout-style garbage hoarding.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Exodus wasn't terrible but I really don't like that it took a cool, unique series and turned it into a generic open world shooter complete with Fallout-style garbage hoarding.

good thing it did not, in fact, do that

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah cool, I was fooled by the open areas and collecting junk for crafting into thinking I was playing in open areas and collecting junk for crafting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

over half of the game is linear and not open world at all, no part of the shooter gameplay became more generic than metro already was (if anything it became less generic with how much more precise and lethal it is), and 2 types of basic crafting mats being found next to the same kind of resources you already scavenged in the first two games did not somehow turn it into a fallout 4 experience

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Most of your time spent is in open sprawling areas that give you room to explore but you probably won't want to because it's boring bullshit. The open-world parts are the worst and just drag. The worst part about Exodus is the removal of the bullet currency mechanic, the fact that you're never put into the position where you have to consider blowing through your high DPS bullets to save your rear end at the literal cost of your money really sucked. Also there's almost no horror elements anymore and those were the best parts of the first two games.

The gun customization was pretty good though, even if it was shallow as hell.

The garbage collecting is terrible along with the crafting system.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is this Shadow Tactics a good one?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anatomi posted:

Is this Shadow Tactics a good one?

It's Japanese Commandos. It's pretty good if you like that sort of game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are there other Shadow Tactics? But yeah, it's pretty good. Has the same tendency towards puzzle gameplay that Commandos also does, but it hands you all the tools for it that you could possibly need.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rusty posted:

Last week was Wattam and MW5 and they are taking $10 bucks off all games and giving one away every day. I don't think they're really slowing down on the exclusives or giveaways.

Edit: SW: Fallen Order wasn't SGS exclusive.

We’re talking about announcements of exclusives, not releases. If we talk releases then yes, of course Epic has plenty left because they made a fuckton of loss-leader deals over the course of the past year, most for games that aren’t even out yet.

The same strategy applies to this sale: there’s absolutely no way they’re making any money off of having discounts on top of a $10 coupon for every game, but they are hoping they can convince people that maybe this billionaire is actually an okay guy!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean the exclusive thing rubs people the wrong way and I get that, but I do think it’s pretty cool that Epic buys a bunch of copies and developers get money before they’ve completed their game. It’s basically similar to the system of a book advance against royalties. Which if you don’t have a moneyed publisher in gaming is but a dream.

I do wonder if the hatred for the exclusives went away if they pivoted hard to being browser based, allowed you to download the games you purchase from them over the web up to a certain size, and made the launcher application a glorified resume-ready downloader as offline games are concerned. In other words, if they let you add their single player games to any launcher you want. They’re not THAT far off technically from being able to do that.

I get that the live service games will require the launcher for their cycle of patching. But it’s not Fortnite/Dauntless fans who are calling for the thing’s death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Craptacular! posted:

I do wonder if the hatred for the exclusives went away if they pivoted hard to being browser based, allowed you to download the games you purchase from them over the web up to a certain size, and made the launcher application a glorified resume-ready downloader as offline games are concerned. In other words, if they let you add their single player games to any launcher you want. They’re not THAT far off technically from being able to do that.
GOG Galaxy works that way and nobody really hates GOG that much even when they get something exclusive to their platform, although I suppose most of these are only because nobody else really wants to sell 30 year old games that badly.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Craptacular! posted:

In other words, if they let you add their single player games to any launcher you want. They’re not THAT far off technically from being able to do that.

It's basically already there. I've added every Epic game I have to Steam (mainly for in-home streaming) and they all work perfectly.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

edit: I can't read

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

We’re talking about announcements of exclusives, not releases. If we talk releases then yes, of course Epic has plenty left because they made a fuckton of loss-leader deals over the course of the past year, most for games that aren’t even out yet.

The same strategy applies to this sale: there’s absolutely no way they’re making any money off of having discounts on top of a $10 coupon for every game, but they are hoping they can convince people that maybe this billionaire is actually an okay guy!
I mean, that's my point, that they aren't making money, that even half of their fornite money is still a lot of money since they are still throwing it around. I doubt they care about promoting a billionaire, they are building a platform for selling games and giving them away is their way to promote it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I mean the exclusive thing rubs people the wrong way and I get that, but I do think it’s pretty cool that Epic buys a bunch of copies and developers get money before they’ve completed their game.

Turning the independent games market, and then some, into a group of jesters dancing for the approval of a billionaire is extremely terrible for everybody but the billionaire in the long run.

Nobody’s saying that Steam is brilliant for indies, but pivoting to Epic is significantly worse, and only doesn’t look that way to anyone because of the short-term benefits.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, in the long run, the problem with that kind of thing for the market on the whole is that it encourages developers to not make games that people actually want to play but rather games that are good at getting Epic deals. Kind of a similar problem to subsidies for certain crops.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That doesn't really seem markedly worse than being a group of jesters dancing for the approval of steam algorithms and "influencers"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The real issue is that it's a loss leading attempt to corner the market rather than a long term business model.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Andrast posted:

That doesn't really seem markedly worse than being a group of jesters dancing for the approval of steam algorithms and "influencers"

Dancing for someone to actually see your game was always going to be the case since there is too much good stuff coming out and not enough time to play them all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The real issue is that it's a loss leading attempt to corner the market rather than a long term business model.

I'm not really worried about it since I don't think they are capable of doing that.

As it is it's just a money injection into some lucky devs pockets

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As a long-term business model it still wouldn't really be a lot better, from a consumer perspective. A market dominated by being good at playing the dominant retailer's selection criteria is still a market that doesn't really care what you want.

BexGu posted:

Dancing for someone to actually see your game was always going to be the case since there is too much good stuff coming out and not enough time to play them all.
Yeah, "critics and exposure exist as factors to market success" isn't really much of a statement.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Let’s not pretend that’s for any reason than Valve just doesn’t want to. The most insidious thing they’re doing is tying engine fees to the store. That’s potential antitrust right there. But saying “we’ll give you an advance for 500 copies right now” isn’t a bad thing just because Gabe says “meh, nah.” That’s just letting Gabe set the terms of business.

It’s bad when huge AAA studios sign their games away for a year, it’s because they’re huge AAA studios and should have enough money to not be swayed by that sort of thing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 29, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nvm, I'm dumb

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 29, 2019

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
EGS deserves every bit of criticism it gets, but it's funny how the current sale is so much more engaging than anything Valve has done in years.

Even if the daily giveaways weren't there, the replenishing $10 coupon is such an easy concept to grasp, and a perfect motivator to splurge on additional games as the sale goes on. I can't think of the last time a Steam sale has been anything but convoluted, vaguely annoying, and not worth looking at after the first day.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

EGS deserves every bit of criticism it gets, but it's funny how the current sale is so much more engaging than anything Valve has done in years.

Even if the daily giveaways weren't there, the replenishing $10 coupon is such an easy concept to grasp, and a perfect motivator to splurge on additional games as the sale goes on. I can't think of the last time a Steam sale has been anything but convoluted, vaguely annoying, and not worth looking at after the first day.

Frankly, I remember it distinctly. It's the flash deals. Ever since Steam had to give them up (due to the possibility of refunds) Steam sales haven't been the same. Until then, seasonal Steam sales were worth following daily.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Flash sales sucked rear end, I don't want to watch a store like a hawk to get a non-poo poo price for a game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, loving Epic.

I just installed the Epic launcher so I actually play some of those 40+ free games I've gotten from them over the months, right? I log in, decide that actually, I want to reboot my computer first, because it needed to install .NET first. Then I decide actually, I also want to change my password, since it was pretty weak and I think it's time I do that, so take care of that first.

I reboot. I try to start Epic Launcher.

Epic Launcher can no longer start. Since I am already logged in, it will not ask me log in again. However, since it is logged in under the wrong password, it also can't start up properly. So instead, it sends me to the Epic website on an infinite loop to do whatever.

But since the Epic website is a POS, I get stuck on the same page loading over and over and doing nothing.

So much playing any loving game on Epic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zat posted:

Frankly, I remember it distinctly. It's the flash deals. Ever since Steam had to give them up (due to the possibility of refunds) Steam sales haven't been the same. Until then, seasonal Steam sales were worth following daily.

No, it was most publishers finally realizing a lot of people were actually buying poo poo on Steam and not setting such huge discounts any more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao what? All of the poo poo is on sale, but everything you wanted to buy but haven't bought yet. How the gently caress is that "convoluted and vaguely annoying" in any way?
Do you need them to give you a song and dance and a personal shopping assistant so you don't get lost, or what?

Andrast posted:

Flash sales sucked rear end, I don't want to watch a store like a hawk to get a non-poo poo price for a game

Also this.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Epic's sale is more "engaging" because it's all new (exclusive) games you don't own, while you likely already got everything you could possibly want on Steam on a past sale.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao what? All of the poo poo is on sale, but everything you wanted to buy but haven't bought yet. How the gently caress is that "convoluted and vaguely annoying" in any way?
Do you need them to give you a song and dance and a personal shopping assistant so you don't get lost, or what?
Look at the current Steam sale event, where you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get an absurdly tiny reward. Or the event with the racing teams that made no sense at all and was completely broken. That's what I'm talking about.

Valve does try to come up with gimmicks to get people coming back, and those are pretty bad. This particular Epic thing is pretty good and clever.

EDIT: And the two games I picked up so far are also on Steam, but this sale knocked them down to five bucks for the first time, which is my "why not" threshold.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 30, 2019

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I also picked up games that are sold elsewhere on EGS, pretty happy to get Subnautica Below Zero for $10. Funny, it was EGS that gave me the first Subnautica for free and got me interested in the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Look at the current Steam sale event, where you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get an absurdly tiny reward. Or the event with the racing teams that made no sense at all and was completely broken. That's what I'm talking about.

Valve does try to come up with gimmicks to get people coming back, and those are pretty bad. This particular Epic thing is pretty good and clever.

EDIT: And the two games I picked up so far are also on Steam, but this sale knocked them down to five bucks for the first time, which is my "why not" threshold.

the epic thing is "clever" because they're continuing to spend millions upon millions of dollars to sidestep the whole thing where you make a product good to get people to use it.