Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Would it have to be in the Kelvin-verse, though, given the merger? They could just set a new movie in the Picard timeline, casual moviegoers wouldn't even notice it's a different universe.

Who am I kidding, though, it will be a flat out TNG reboot.

Kelvin timeline gives them free rein to do whatever, so for making movies it’s got more appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

More like Restart Trek.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The_Doctor posted:

Kelvin timeline gives them free rein to do whatever, so for making movies it’s got more appeal.

As if "giving them free rein to do whatever" has been a driving creative force thus far with the reboot movies.

Maybe they'll do something novel with the 4th movie like making it take place on Earth in the past in order to save the present.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Why can't they just have a new Trek where we've never heard of any of the characters and it's set 100 years after Voyager so it doesn't have to constantly chase after people's nostalgia. :shrug:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Why can't they just have a new Trek where we've never heard of any of the characters and it's set 100 years after Voyager so it doesn't have to constantly chase after people's nostalgia. :shrug:

Because nobody can write a story anymore. It's a lost talent like knowing how to use a rotary phone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Discovery S3 has the worst of both worlds where it's set 600 years after Voyager but still chasing people's nostalgia for TOS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Origami Dali posted:

I can see a point that explicitly setting a Star Trek somewhere after Voyager means you have to deal with a huge quantity of technical debt in the form of all those gribbly solutions, or you have to somehow explain why they're there. This isn't really a thing you "have" to do, but it would impact people's creative conceptions. Alternatively you'd have to have some kind of "the Federation is corrupt/stagnant/moodily lit, blah blah blah" which cuts against one of the positives of the premise.

Thinking about it, if you specifically wanted to do the "the Federation got cut down to size," you could just have them lose a war.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

Discovery S3 has the worst of both worlds where it's set 600 years after Voyager but still chasing people's nostalgia for TOS.

Voyager was itself chasing people’s nostalgia for TOS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Because nobody can write a story anymore. It's a lost talent like knowing how to use a rotary phone.

just license the best stars treks fanfictión. there are very creative stories out there. your monkey's paw, not mine

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nessus posted:

I can see a point that explicitly setting a Star Trek somewhere after Voyager means you have to deal with a huge quantity of technical debt in the form of all those gribbly solutions, or you have to somehow explain why they're there.

And when you set it before, you have the same issue with creating inconsistencies. And when you make it an alternate timeline, you spend the entire time creating reasons why things are different but familiar.

Here's a thought. If you are going to make another entry in a franchise, how about you make it part of the loving franchise and do the legwork necessary to make it fit (well enough anyways) AND stand on its own. Creative shackles of canon is both a copout for lack of creatively and a massive dose of hubris for "not being allowed" to tell the story that the showrunners/writers want. Suck it the gently caress up or create your own IP.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There had been a report that Pine and Quinto were signed to contracts for a 4th film but I don't know if that is still the case

Based on the last comments by Quentin Tarantino about the Star Trek thing I don't think it's happening.

Pine and Quinto signed contracts for a potential Star Trek 4 in exchange for massive pay increases on Beyond. None of the other principal cast is signed to a fourth movie, largely because Paramount didn't want to put everyone on pay-or-play agreements for a movie that might not happen (given Beyond's box office under-performance). Pine walked away at the same time as Hemsworth, though, after Paramount tried to renegotiate their deals with huge pay cuts.

The Paramount / CBS merger is still in the very early stages, having only closed a few months ago, and M&As take time (redundancies have to be found, business plans and whatnot have to be rewritten, etc.), so I imagine that any potential new Trek movie is still a very long ways off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spock goes to summercamp. Spock joins a band. Spock works at a Lowe's. Spock goes on a coming-of-age roadtrip with Sybok and tries weed for the first time. Spock and Tony Hawk join the cast of Glee.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bull3964 posted:

And when you set it before, you have the same issue with creating inconsistencies. And when you make it an alternate timeline, you spend the entire time creating reasons why things are different but familiar.

Here's a thought. If you are going to make another entry in a franchise, how about you make it part of the loving franchise and do the legwork necessary to make it fit (well enough anyways) AND stand on its own. Creative shackles of canon is both a copout for lack of creatively and a massive dose of hubris for "not being allowed" to tell the story that the showrunners/writers want. Suck it the gently caress up or create your own IP.
I'll forward the thought to CBS immediately

I mean I generally agree, if I was emperor of Star Trek I would just start over and be open with an authorial statement: "Different setting. You may see familiar things, but don't assume anything will be the same." Beyond was finally starting to cut loose from the cold dead hand of :spock:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what is so galling about all of this?

Damon Lindelof has his fingers in this mess when he just turned out a FANTASTIC run with Watchmen, showing he knows how to make something a part of exiting IP while doing it's own thing successfully.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nessus posted:

I'll forward the thought to CBS immediately

I mean I generally agree, if I was emperor of Star Trek I would just start over and be open with an authorial statement: "Different setting. You may see familiar things, but don't assume anything will be the same." Beyond was finally starting to cut loose from the cold dead hand of :spock:

Basically Final Fantasy: Star Trek. There might be Klingons, you might hear about a ship called the Enterprise, but beyond that anything goes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean, at that point why even bother with the name Star Trek? You can explore universal themes and morality in sci fi without calling it Star Trek, you know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Alternatively you'd have to have some kind of "the Federation is corrupt/stagnant/moodily lit, blah blah blah" which cuts against one of the positives of the premise.

https://i.imgur.com/3XuCbOm.mp4

(Yeah, we all know, I'll stop now)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 29, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I mean, at that point why even bother with the name Star Trek? You can explore universal themes and morality in sci fi without calling it Star Trek, you know.
I wouldn't object to some new sci-fi IP that isn't rooted in dismal rear end projection of stubble-toothed gritty realism and hard decision but that ain't the way the market trends these days. The closest we have is the Orville, which is legally and medically distinct from Next Generation but, you know, we know what they did.

You do have the advantage, beyond making money with an
code:
intellectual property
, that Star Trek has a sort of lexicon you could use to explain concepts with some of the overhead already established.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3XuCbOm.mp4

(Yeah, we all know, I'll stop now)

The United Federation of Subaru.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My bet is they'll just reboot the movies yet again, with a new cast and close the chapter on the Kelvin verse and have nothing to do with the TV shows. They'll do what we assumed they were doing with Star Trek 2009 in the first place--a total reboot, without the backdoor continuity "other timeline" stuff. It'll also be (yet again) a TOS era show.

Why?

1. It's been long enough since the Pine/Kelvin Trek. In Hollywood terms, it's long enough to go ahead an do a new reboot (like how they killed off the Tobey Maguire Spiderman films, or they have a new Batman saga every few years telling the same story).

2. Even though they don't have to keep the TV and Movies separate anymore since one company owns both IPs, they will want to avoid giving the TV producers/showrunners control of the cinematic universe, like they did Berman and Braga. There's too much at stake in a potential multibillion dollar cinematic universe to have a bunch of revolving showrunners gently caress it up. Say what you will about the Bermaga era, but it was a 20 year cohesive team unlike the shitshow we have now with new creatives coming on throughout a season. Plus with DISCO, STP, Lower Decks Cartoon, Untitled Section 31 Show Possibly Starring Georgiou, and God willing The Pike Show, they won't have time to contribute to writing a movie. You'd need a person like Scott Gimple or Kathleen Kennedy or whoever is running Marvel to keep it all straight and be a Chief Continuity Officer, and quite frankly those examples leave a lot to be desired.

3. Related to #2, doing a full reboot untethered to the TV continuity allows them to have full creative control to do whatever they think will sell the most movie tickets in Summer 202X. Movie people always seem to have utter contempt for the "shackles" of canon.

4. They'll do TOS, because they always loving do TOS, and if they rebooted TNG they'd just worry about confusing people with another Picard while one is on the TV. Also :spock: can be in full effect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

There's too much at stake in a potential multibillion dollar cinematic universe

And yet <gestures at Star Trek for the last fifteen years>

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’ve got an idea for a Star Trek: how about they get a new cast, put em on a new ship, and they go check out something in space.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pascallion posted:

I’ve got an idea for a Star Trek: how about they get a new cast, put em on a new ship, and they go check out something in space.
Can we work in a Baby Riker?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
There will be a baby with a beard in the background, but it won't be commented on. It will just be "for the fans."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I would watch a John Cho Sulu spinoff set aboard the Kelvinverse Excelsior.

Put Kelvinverse Tuvok in it too, go hog wild

I’d love to see this just for the Team Takei meltdown. God knows that George himself is awesome, but his social media presence has become the most painful thing to watch...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Personally I'd rather more works try striking out on their own as a brand new IP rather than piggybacking off of an old franchise, since that'd leave a wider range of sci-fi options as well as allowing writers to be themselves even if it clashes with old styles.

This doesn't happen as much as I'd like because it's a financial risk to give somebody a big expensive show without knowing how it'll be received, since for established franchises a massive chunk of the viewership and merchandise consumers are just fans of the old stuff who'll follow along for anything regardless of whether or not they like it. The people in the thread who hate Voyager/Enterprise/Discovery yet follow them all closely are proof enough of that. So it's a better investment for the big media companies to just buy big names and put money into them instead.

I say this only partially out of worries about the oligopolisitic nature of big media companies and the other part a bitterness over a combination of having quit (or trying to quit) one major franchise and all my other favorite franchises lie fallow in somebody's closet after being retired for a while and then the entities behind them ceasing to be.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

You know what is so galling about all of this?

Damon Lindelof has his fingers in this mess when he just turned out a FANTASTIC run with Watchmen, showing he knows how to make something a part of exiting IP while doing it's own thing successfully.

is that the same Damon Lindelof that said the original Watchmen glorified superheroes

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pascallion posted:

I'd love to have an Andromeda (the galaxy) mission. Or if that's too fanwanky because of the Kelvans, do one of the Magellanic Clouds, whatever, it's not important. Just go find something bizarre that's not a retread of Angry Revenge Villain or Existential Threat to Earth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is that the same Damon Lindelof that said the original Watchmen glorified superheroes

That certainly doesn't appear to be his view based on the show.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'd love to have an Andromeda (the galaxy) mission. Or if that's too fanwanky because of the Kelvans, do one of the Magellanic Clouds, whatever, it's not important. Just go find something bizarre that's not a retread of Angry Revenge Villain or Existential Threat to Earth.

That's just Voyager. The Delta Quadrant might as well be another galaxy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's just Voyager. The Delta Quadrant might as well be another galaxy.

No one ever said the premise of Voyager is bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the general idea was okay. Plus, it'd be different in that it gets rid of the 'will they make it home this week' element and just has the joy of exploring.

Have our ship be one of an exploration fleet. A Galaxy-style flying starbase at the middle moving slowly into the new galaxy and a bunch of other ships darting around systems exploring.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager had a great premise which the writers treated with all the seriousness and respect of Gilligan's Island

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just make a thinly veiled sentai show where they pilot a Prometheus class derivative.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

For movies anyway, apparently actual writers are only allowed on television now. Sometimes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the general idea was okay. Plus, it'd be different in that it gets rid of the 'will they make it home this week' element and just has the joy of exploring.

Have our ship be one of an exploration fleet. A Galaxy-style flying starbase at the middle moving slowly into the new galaxy and a bunch of other ships darting around systems exploring.
The Voyager Relaunch novels kind of did this by having Voyager leading a fleet back to the DQ after the Borg got destroyed in the Destiny trilogy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I dunno if I'd want them to trivialise the scale of the whole Milky way in the setting, so not sure about Andromeda. Magellanics are about 200k ly away. Canis Major Dwarf is a similar size and about 25k ly away, it's the nearest minor galaxy. Could have a setting as a kind of grand expedition, the first of its kind to a satellite galaxy; open the show with the crews awakening after a decade crossing the void.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think you could split the difference by having them develop a way to make an artificial wormhole. You can doubletalk it by saying it isn't workable inside of even a thin patch of a galaxy, it has to aim through this giant void.

Roll a starbase through it, maybe have an uninhabited M-class planet that suspiciously resembles Southern California that the Federation plans to use as a shore leave station but makes no other claim on this new galaxy. Begin exploration.

This also adds potential stakes for a future arc or whatever if you want to end things with a bang.

e: part of the delay or time lapse would be that they had to send an automated warp probe to the other galaxy the hard way, carrying with it the other side of the artificial wormhole gate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't that basically the gamma quadrant

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that basically the gamma quadrant
The difference HERE is that the star base is on the OTHER SIDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I dunno if I'd want them to trivialise the scale of the whole Milky way in the setting, so not sure about Andromeda. Magellanics are about 200k ly away. Canis Major Dwarf is a similar size and about 25k ly away, it's the nearest minor galaxy. Could have a setting as a kind of grand expedition, the first of its kind to a satellite galaxy; open the show with the crews awakening after a decade crossing the void.

As much as I love space its still :psyduck: to think about how galaxies can have orbiting galaxies. A small galaxy, a captive galaxy. And that's not even zooming out very far.