Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Skin color bias is a thing and "Well Immelda Orellana just nailed the part... but there's something about Brenda Marquez (neé Flaherty) that just, you know, feels comfortable and right.

She's brownwashing her name to benefit her career and it's likely loving PoC out of jobs?

She only has herself to look out for. If it works keep doing it because that’s how you survive in her position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for hiding the 135k I just inherited from my girlfriend and her family?

Context: My girlfriend(22) and I (23) just had our first child a few months ago. The pregnancy was wildly unplanned as I am graduate school and neither of us were ever interested in children.

About a year ago I learned that I was set to inherit over $135k from my great aunts estate who, due to severe schizophrenia, never married or had any children. She was a wealthy woman because of her father, and I never met her.

Right around the time I learned about this money my girlfriends family got in severe financial trouble which prevented her from finishing college.Then came pregnancy and our child. I have supported her and our child completely with this money but she has no idea where it is coming from and doesn’t really push too hard to find out.

I don’t really have plans to tell her, and I sure as hell don’t want her Dad finding out as I’m sure it will eventually lead to him asking for money for another one of his failed businesses.

So tell me, AITA for withholding this knowledge indefinitely?

This is absolutely going to lead to a purchase that will expose it and cause everything to implode

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
135k is hardly enough to go wild about, the guy should treat it like a nice nest egg because that’s what it is. A buffer in case poo poo happens.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Well, at least he isn't a vampire or something.

Being kept afloat with 135k is one of the nicer surprises

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

please knock Mom! posted:

She only has herself to look out for. If it works keep doing it because that’s how you survive in her position.

And all POC in turn should poo poo down her throat for the same reason

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

135k is hardly enough to go wild about, the guy should treat it like a nice nest egg because that’s what it is. A buffer in case poo poo happens.

written like someone who has never known poverty

135k would be a life changing amount of money to me or just about anyone in my peer group.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Lobe posted:

135k would be a life changing amount of money to me or just about anyone in my peer group.

Yeah, it’d change my life too. If I saved or invested it like a nest egg. It’s not gently caress you money in the slightest, it doesn’t buy you a house, you still have to work. Your life just gets more comfortable, it doesn’t change meaningfully. The biggest thing it might let you do is go back to school, but with a kid to take care of I’d play it safe.

And I grew up poor so eat my whole rear end

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

The term we're looking for here is Blackfish. A white person who passes as a person of color to gain any social benefits of being ethnic, while still having the ability to stop being ethnic whenever it may inconvenience them. Here's an article about Ariana Grande:

https://thetab.com/uk/2019/02/08/ariana-grande-is-a-blackfish-and-these-are-the-receipts-91714

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Super Waffle posted:

The term we're looking for here is Blackfish. A white person who passes as a person of color to gain any social benefits of being ethnic, while still having the ability to stop being ethnic whenever it may inconvenience them. Here's an article about Ariana Grande:

https://thetab.com/uk/2019/02/08/ariana-grande-is-a-blackfish-and-these-are-the-receipts-91714

Yeah, I know what her deal is. I’m poc, I know the type. She still should do whatever she can think of to get a decent life. I don’t agree with it personally but that’s a position of privilege, I don’t have to do something like that to eat bread and sleep indoors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Lobe posted:

I have lived in poverty before, and I guess that depends on your definition of life changing. It's not enough to retire on, which is what I think the other poster was getting at. If you have a decent income but lots of credit card debt and that could wipe it clean, I could see it being life changing. Or if you had the job and credit to buy a home but lacked a down payment.

In most other situations I doubt it would fundamentally change things in the long term. Working as a banker I have seen some poor people come into that kind of money several times, and without exception it has been blown on bullshit within 6 months.

therobit fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 30, 2019

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

135k is 3-5 years of not having to work for a lot of people. It's 9 years for someone working fulltime for minimum wage.

But hey, it's not enough to go infinite with interest so you never need to work ever again, so I guess it's basically the same as finding 50 bucks on the street.

:thermidor:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

people are so far in the hole on the life they want to live that $135,000 only makes a dent.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for hiding the 135k I just inherited from my girlfriend and her family?

[...] I have supported her and our child completely with this money but she has no idea where it is coming from and doesn’t really push too hard to find out.

I like this one since it hits the 'YTA in title, but redeemed in text' thingie. They have separate finances, yet he's fully supporting her, their child, etc.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

HazCat posted:

135k is 3-5 years of not having to work for a lot of people. It's 9 years for someone working fulltime for minimum wage.

But hey, it's not enough to go infinite with interest so you never need to work ever again, so I guess it's basically the same as finding 50 bucks on the street.

It’s a very nice nest egg. It pays off your debts and sends your kids to college. It gets you ahead of your rent. It won’t get you out of being working class, but it’ll make your life more comfortable and get rid of stress.

It’s not gently caress you money in any way and its benefits will dry up in an instant if he treats it as such.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HazCat posted:

:thermidor:

135k x 3 buys a decent house and a small garden here. Makes you think.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your life just gets more comfortable, it doesn’t change meaningfully.

Wait, why wouldn't that be a meaningful change? Not needing to worry about your next paycheck coming on time, not needing to decide whether you buy food or pay rent this week, knowing that you could probably afford a sudden mandatory car repair without wiping out your meager savings? The reduction in stress alone would be a meaningful change, imo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

There are lots of parts of the US where 135k buys a house or two. That's a huge life change.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

QuarkJets posted:

Wait, why wouldn't that be a meaningful change? Not needing to worry about your next paycheck coming on time, not needing to decide whether you buy food or pay rent this week, knowing that you could probably afford a sudden mandatory car repair without wiping out your meager savings? The reduction in stress alone would be a meaningful change, imo

I meant that you don’t get everything you need, you still have to pick and choose whether you want a down payment, paying off debts, etc. You’re right that it’s a really nice windfall but it’s a windfall to be really protective of and responsible with

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Quote is not edit.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Pinecone Sample posted:

My (F21) boyfriend (M19) moved in with his second girlfriend and they now wear matching promise rings.

Why do stories like this read like people are substituting “too cowardly and spineless to break up” with “we are in a poly relationship”?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The desperate need to feel in control of a situation they are clearly not in control of is more powerful than self-respect

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I meant that you don’t get everything you need, you still have to pick and choose whether you want a down payment, paying off debts, etc. You’re right that it’s a really nice windfall but it’s a windfall to be really protective of and responsible with

While that's true, we're talking about whether that's a life-changing amount of money. I think all of the things discussed are life-changing even if you're still working the same job, living in the same place, etc. Even just suddenly having some financial security is a big deal to most people. Even just having the opportunity to be able to make the choices that you've listed is life-changing, imo

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA? MIL opened a can of beer that was special to me

quote:

So, I’ve had this Carolina Panthers can of Bud Light for about 5 years now. It was in my fridge, but has been unopened. I’ve been keeping it as a keepsake. Well, lo and behold, my MiL decides to open It, despite me telling her we have a lot of other cans of BL in the basement fridge. I’ve been keeping my annoyance to myself, only letting out a little anger when I told her that when she was done with it, not to recycle the can, that I wanted to keep it as I was important to me. That said, I’m still pissed off by this.

AITA for feeling pissed that she opened a can of beer that, while important to me, is in the end just a can of beer?

Edit: I don’t believe I told her not to open it, but she did not ask if she could, either. It was hidden from in the back of a drawer, so it’s not like it was an easy “oh yeah I’ll have a BL”. Should I have moved it out of the fridge? Sure, but at the same time it’s my fridge lol. You should ask. Plus, like I said, it’s been in there for 5 years. They’ve taken beer out of our fridge countless times and never bothered that can. I’m not like angry, just sad that this thing I’ve been saving is now gone and I didn’t have a chance to stop it.

2nd Edit: I guess my clarification that I was sad and not angry doesn’t matter. Thanks for confirming IATA for feeling sad, Reddit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why are you keeping it in the fridge if you never intend to drink it? put it on the shelf. it's not going to rot or anything

stupid

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA? MIL opened a can of beer that was special to me

man this guy is all kinds of passive aggressive

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's Bud Light. You should be apologizing to HER.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Super Waffle posted:

Does it still apply if the article in use is a last name? Not saying she isn't doing something very similar, but it doesn't sound like she's changing anything physical. Or does that not matter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grape posted:

Does it still apply if the article in use is a last name? Not saying she isn't doing something very similar, but it doesn't sound like she's changing anything physical. Or does that not matter.

Doesn’t matter. It’s taking advantage of an apparent ethnic ambiguity to get the benefits of that culture without having to actually deal with any cultural baggage or racism. She can revert back to white whenever she needs to.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

hey what does lockpicking have to do with spice smuggling?

is spice smuggler just a pejorative like budgie smuggler

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

hey what does lockpicking have to do with spice smuggling?

is spice smuggler just a pejorative like budgie smuggler

Only one gets you wanted in twelve systems.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Goat pooping on my patio and eats my shrubs

quote:

Kitsap Washington.

My neighbor has goats. I don't care if he has goats.

These goats come over to my property eats my landscaped shrubs and poops on my driveway and my patio.

I work 12-13 hours. I leave home in dark and come home in dark. I get to step on the turds this animals make. I smear that inside the house.

Now the big issue is now these animal started to eat my landacaped shrubs.

I have all these footages in my door bell camera and my other security cameras around the house.

Big nuisance is that every time motion is detected my phone rings as an alarm. I am not home so I need this function to check for home security. I can deactive the notification but it bugs me to he!! That I am the one having to put up with neighbor that does not acknowledge he is causing harm.

I recently visited his house a few days ago but he was not available but told her daughter that goats are loose and damaging my property.

I have made enough attempts sort this issue but now it is causing damages to my property. Called 3 times and texted about 5 times about it. I believe he blocked my number or changed his number. His voicemail is not setup.

I called animal control twice but I am not sure if they have done anything.

I would like to take legal steps now. What would you do?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Pinecone Sample posted:

Goat pooping on my patio and eats my shrubs

Ctrl+F "fence"

No Results

:shrug:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hellblazer187 posted:

There are lots of parts of the US where 135k buys a house or two. That's a huge life change.

Yeah, but you end up in Buttfuck, NE or some decaying town that industry left.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my mom not to get a tattoo?

My mom (55) has decided she'd like to get another tattoo, which is cool and wouldn't be her first. My dad (60) said she's too old, and I defended her. I 100% support her getting a tattoo. My problem comes in with the what she wants. She'd like to get a tattoo on her lower back (known as a tramp stamp, a phrase I kind of hate) of my grandmother's name and her face on an angel. For context, my grandma passed away years ago, I was 15 and I'm now 33.

This is problematic because I was named after my grandma. I can't imagine living in a world where my name is tattooed above my mom's rear end. I tried to calmly explain why this is not a thing I'm ok with. I told her there's other tattoos she could get to honor her mother, though I can guarantee she wouldn't approve of the tattoo or placement, but she is dead set on this. It escalated a bit, and I told her I wouldn't speak to her if she got it. She's upset and says I don't support her grief.

AITA here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you have goats get a fence. Livestock 101. If they can get into the neighbor's yard one's probably gonna wander onto the road and get hit by a car (well, goats might be smarter than that, but it's a basic responsibility concern).

If you can't keep animals, don't keep animals.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

30-50 feral goats making GBS threads on my patio within 3-5 minutes

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my mom not to get a tattoo?

My mom (55) has decided she'd like to get another tattoo, which is cool and wouldn't be her first. My dad (60) said she's too old, and I defended her. I 100% support her getting a tattoo. My problem comes in with the what she wants. She'd like to get a tattoo on her lower back (known as a tramp stamp, a phrase I kind of hate) of my grandmother's name and her face on an angel. For context, my grandma passed away years ago, I was 15 and I'm now 33.

This is problematic because I was named after my grandma. I can't imagine living in a world where my name is tattooed above my mom's rear end. I tried to calmly explain why this is not a thing I'm ok with. I told her there's other tattoos she could get to honor her mother, though I can guarantee she wouldn't approve of the tattoo or placement, but she is dead set on this. It escalated a bit, and I told her I wouldn't speak to her if she got it. She's upset and says I don't support her grief.

AITA here?

Like I get it but Christ, OP is a soggy flannel blanket. Be glad it’s grandma and not a swastika or the below:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Ctrl+F "fence"

No Results

:shrug:
Yeah I don't get it. It's nearly universal here that you have a fence separating your property from neighbours (unless you live in a unit/townhouse, in which case you usually don't have much of a yard anyway). You might not always have a front fence, but I've never seen a property here that doesn't have a fence separating properties along their boundaries on sides and back. But in the US there seems to be a lot of places where there's nothing stopping you wandering onto your neighbours property or getting into disputes over mowing lawns etc.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

My boyfriend is filthy, please help

quote:

Me and my boyfriend been on and off for 8 years I am female 23 and he is male 22. We are at the age where we're settling down with each other maturely. He’s a great guy, makes me happy, we always have fun together .... but it’s one problem. He’s sooo freaking dirty. I come from a clean home where we routinely wash dishes, mop, take out trash, vacuum, dust, clean the bathroom. I never had roaches or mice. Him on the other ever since I first met him his house was disgusting; roaches everywhere (crawling on the TV, on the walls, layers of layers of mouse droppings that stick together, mouse chatter every from them biting into the styrofoam box where old food is left, dishes left in the bed room for days, bathroom sometimes without toilet paper, roaches in the bathroom) it’s just filthy. I have allergies and Asthma and his house always triggers me and cause me to wheeze and sneeze. ( His filth is Probably why we never stayed in a continuous long term relationship when I think about it, I can only deal with it for so long!!) when I think about it, it’s starts at home, I was 15 when I met him and his mom didn’t clean often and if she did it wouldn’t be thoroughly. Since that’s how he grew up he doesn’t see to have a problem with it. I have a seriously problem and I can’t live like this. I’m just too old to be cleaning up after a grown man. He doesn’t wash clothes, wears the same things multiple times a week, doesn’t wash his rear end or brush his teeth daily, dirty clothes everywhere, Mouse chatter everywhere, super dusty and he hasn’t changed his sheets in a month! I’m trying to wash his clothes now but his washer machine is broke and it’s certain things you have to do to make it work and he won’t show me. He’s getting angry at me like I’m nagging WHEN IM TRYING TO HELP HIM OUT!!! like I said I love him dearly but I feel like I can’t help someone who doesn’t want to help himself. What should I do. I don’t need to put up with this! I stop being a sugar baby to get back to him and I miss my lifestyle because I didn’t have to put up with this type of crap!!! He still live with his mom and I have Had 2 apartments already. He has a child (primarily live with her mother) and I have no kids. He’s a great guy and I love him dearly but I can’t deal with the filth it’s literally driving me insane. Im a very clean person!!! I’m not even a wife, I don’t feel like I should clean after someone who doesn’t clean up after themselves !!!! Especially if I’m trying and he’s giving me attitude because I’m interrupting his video games. Of course I should leave him but That’s easier said than done please I need some advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

My boyfriend is filthy, please help

I stop being a sugar baby to get back to him and I miss my lifestyle