Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
That loving printer...I've never been so sure that a product is complete horseshit. Supposedly ready to ship next month too.

EDIT: new page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/princube-the-world-s-smallest-mobile-color-printer#/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can kind of imagine how to solve possible issues with moving it at different speeds and not in a straight line, but it involves a bunch of precise sensors that I doubt this little thing will have. And you'd still have to move it slower than what they show in those videos.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I hope we get a new CaptainDisillusion video out of it.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
The curious thing is, I don't think it is a scam:

Thing is not on AliX, not on Banggood, but actually is on DHGate. It is even reasonably priced (compared to the IGG) and lists the same company logo.

The thing probably exists.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are actually a bunch of reviews of it on YouTube and it seems to work just fine. The thing has two rollers to keep it straight, which should work for flat surfaces of you're careful, but it's not as effective on anything curved. None of the reviews I watched show how it prints on skin or metal, though, and none disclose how they got the device and only mention that there's a very successful IGG campaign for it, which is a tad suspicious.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I did a bit of digging on the campaign, and aside from using a mail drop NY address, all seems to add up. It’s a Shenzhen based company, so they would totally be able to create the thing and send out review samples to influencers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

klafbang posted:

I did a bit of digging on the campaign, and aside from using a mail drop NY address, all seems to add up. It’s a Shenzhen based company, so they would totally be able to create the thing and send out review samples to influencers.

or it's already on alibaba

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Paladinus posted:

I can kind of imagine how to solve possible issues with moving it at different speeds and not in a straight line, but it involves a bunch of precise sensors that I doubt this little thing will have. And you'd still have to move it slower than what they show in those videos.

Why would it require more than just an optical mouse, plus a very reasonable amount of processing power?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

klafbang posted:

The curious thing is, I don't think it is a scam:

Thing is not on AliX, not on Banggood, but actually is on DHGate. It is even reasonably priced (compared to the IGG) and lists the same company logo.

The thing probably exists.

It does. This poo poo is usually contained in a gun shape instead, makes it much easier to keep it straight.

These idiots just slammed the parts into old spare Ouyas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unreal_One posted:

Why would it require more than just an optical mouse, plus a very reasonable amount of processing power?

They show it printing on all types of materials, and a regular optical sensor wouldn't work on all of them well. But for regular paper, sure. This is most likely what they've done.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Koobes posted:

love their unique cartridge they're putting in that clearly doesn't have an HP logo

While I’m sure that the thing is garbage at best and doesn’t actually use HP cartridges, if it did, I’d consider it a point in its favor - I can still purchase new cartridges from HP for the printer I got to go to college more than 15 years ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blue Moonlight posted:

While I’m sure that the thing is garbage at best and doesn’t actually use HP cartridges, if it did, I’d consider it a point in its favor - I can still purchase new cartridges from HP for the printer I got to go to college more than 15 years ago.

HP is happy to sell you overpriced ink for any printer that will accept it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

HP is happy to sell you overpriced ink for any printer that will accept it

They have a subscription ink service now

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

One of the reviews actually shows the cartridge (and prints it onto a paper cup and a small square of wood). It's a remanufactured HP 62XL.

All signs point to this printer being something that already existed , and these guys are just drop-shipping it at a 300% markup.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
could i use it to tag poetry on the insides of restroom stalls?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Len posted:

They have a subscription ink service now

And if you cancel your subscription, they will kill the cartridges you have received but not used yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

evobatman posted:

And if you cancel your subscription, they will kill the cartridges you have received but not used yet.

We've got the free level subscription, is that actually a thing because holy poo poo

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

evobatman posted:

Really? (Because Poe’s law)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
really
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/1207446710722711552

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
that's how guns are going to go away. one day they'll all be fingerprint locked and connected and when the company goes out of business they'll just shut them all off remotely. no more guns!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

LOL, really nails down that ink cartridges are purely a tax on those stupid/environmentally conscious enough to not just get a new printer when the old one’s empty.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

that's how guns are going to go away. one day they'll all be fingerprint locked and connected and when the company goes out of business they'll just shut them all off remotely. no more guns!
The NRA would first have to stop successfully lobbying to keep it illegal for computerised firearm ownership records to exist.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
lol, just lol if you think mark zuckerberg doesn't have a list of every gun owning american in existence.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InsertPotPun posted:

Guns of the Patriots...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Can't wait for Guns as a Service.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Regular gun-nut: 10 shots/month. 1 shot is any shot fired at or towards a person/animal/building. Up to 20 shots transferable from month to month.

NRA superstar, twice the bullets but only valid against black people.

School-shooter special: Booster-pack of 500 shots valid for 12 hours.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kennel posted:

Can't wait for Guns as a Service.

Gun streaming

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

Gun streaming

New gun pods come in the mail regularly based on how often you use up your gun pods. Bulk discounts. Expire two weeks after date of shipping.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

InsertPotPun posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ro0cM7W.mp4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gunners: “loving SJWs ruining guns”

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Alan Smithee posted:

Gun streaming

Google Gunstadia - pay to shoot a gun that is installed in front of targets on the other side of the country.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Gun streaming

Been done: https://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0405/p01s02-ussc.html

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Quick, snap up your print cube now for the special price of $109!

What? No no, pay no attention to the aliexpress seller doing it for $99.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I always laughed at the idea that tall white guys with otherwise no skills besides talking smiling, shaking hands and wearing suits were paid to do just that in China except now they are selling Chinese junk right back to westerners

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just got an ad on youtube for this loving thing:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rebo-smart-bottle-clean-the-planet-as-you-drink#/

Why yes this is an IoT water bottle that reports your drinking through their app and they promise to pay $1/day (maybe I dunno) to some poor bastards in Nambia to collect plastic. Yours for just 99EUR.

I guess at least unlike many other idiotic ideas this can technically work but you could just, you know, refill your existing bottle. I've been re-using the same bottle in the gym for like a year.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Buy a Nalgene, be happy that you don't have a worthlessly IoT water bottle, and donate the other $90 to charity. :geno:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But what about THE METRICS
I bought three Contigo bottles for $12, they're good. Tervis' for like, $8 apiece because they're a good size to take to work with me and I like having cute designs.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
CES is going on right now and it's frankly amazing how indistinguishable the actual products they're pushing are from crowdfunding site scams, they just have higher budget renders in their mockup videos.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Max REBO and his jizz bottle music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

CES is going on right now and it's frankly amazing how indistinguishable the actual products they're pushing are from crowdfunding site scams, they just have higher budget renders in their mockup videos.